IGNORED

Seewalds 29: Still Marketing Cute Kids

Coconut Flan

Looks like we have a date for the new season February 26 - thank god it airs on a Monday otherwise I would have to choose between that and the xfiles - HA no contest. ...

exciting Ben throws spud in the air. 

get ready for fun Buzzard :)

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Coincidentally, I just made a beef bourgingnon in my crock pot today, recipe courtesy to Martha Stewart. I served it with garlic mashed potatoes. It was calorific, fatty, and exceedingly unhealthy. It was amazing.

I have an embarrassing story. I kept my phone in my pocket at work, and anything could happen in that pocket. This goes way beyond butt dials. I left voicemails, sent texts, and even posted to Facebook from my pocket, without my knowledge. So I put a password on it, but there was an emergency contact function which meant you could call 911 without unlocking the phone. A wonderful thing, in theory.

I called 911 4 times from my pocket on the first day.

Finally, on my lunch break, they called me back and I sorted everything out. Luckily no emergency vehicles were dispatched, but I was still completely embarrassed and took the password off my phone immediately.

Spurgeon and Henry are the cutest little chicken nuggets I ever did see. They're positively cherubic. I can't really say anything anyone else hasn't already said- Jessa seems to enjoy her boys, I hope she continues to do so and not get burned out and listless by child #7. I'm expecting an announcement on Valentine's Day. 

11 hours ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

You can't post this and NOT post the recipe!

put in a pan and simmer 

green onion, garlic, ginger and a touch of sesame oil and yellow habenero (sp) ie from whole foods

put in a blender pesto green, the stuff from above and basil and then blend it 

then 

use chicken or prawns in a pan and cook it through - then in your rice cooker make some rice 

then make sure the chicken or prawns are cooked add green beans, then add the blended concoction of the green pesto, basil, green onion, ginger, garlic, one orange thing from whole foods, a habenro (sp) and put it in the pan and cover with coconut milk and a touch of water and cook for like 20 minutes

stupendous 

How many of the non-cookers in this group grew up in homes where housewife, homemaker and motherhood were the only true career paths open to females???????

That's the difference, IMO.

It's hypocritical to talk about how your way is so much better (JB) or enough to garner you a TV (that you claim not to watch) $how and media lifestyle, yet your daughter(s) appear to possess few household or homemaking skills. I'll call BS on that hypocrisy all day long.

My nearly 31 YO married daughter (with a 3 YO) isn't  much of a cook either (her husband is though) and her homemaking standards are different from mine, BUT she and her husband are educated people who work all day- I am retired. I get it.

Different strokes for different folks, but damn, don't cram your way down our throats, when your way doesn't seem to have much substance beyond the easiest way-

On 1/31/2018 at 10:52 AM, tabitha2 said:

My cousins once played bank... naturally  they shoved pennies in the VCR. 

When I was small, my dad fixed VCRs and computers as side gig. There was one family who brought their vcr to us THREE times because their child had "fed" it peanut butter and jelly sandwiches :pb_lol:

On 31/01/2018 at 6:58 PM, tabitha2 said:

Because they had to feed 20+ plus people and that’s a lot of roasts And a roast requires sides  like the potatoes and veg  unless you just want a big ass piece of meat plopped on the table.It would never have been feasible to buy them so she never learned. Similar to why   I have never learned to cook lobster or file mignon 

Agreed.

They grew up learning how to cook what they ate like most other people. 

Roast seems like a really impractical meal for 15+ people. Especially if half of them are under 12. And Jessa has never claimed to be the daughter who cooked. With four older daughters and 21 people in the house there was lots of opportunity for them to do other house management tasks  (laundry, childcare, cleaning, mail, help with SODRT etc)

Jessa was in control of the SOTRDT and I know that she was the organizer/packer in the older 19KAC episodes. Also, because I see myself in Jessa, I assumed (perhaps wrongly) that she doesn't have much patience for cooking/it doesn't interest her and she would rather do something else. That may not be the way of it at all! Just how, I see it. :P

I agree that pot roast is a really impractical thing to cook for 20 people, and so it's no wonder the Duggar daughters never learned how to make one.

However, the fact that one person was responsible for cooking and the others apparently never learned to cook is just one more way in which their parents failed them, even by their own standards. If you claim than a woman's role is in the home and that you are teaching them to be perfect housewives and mothers, then you need to actually teach them those skills. Not teach each skill to one daughter and then make her do all the cooking / all the sewing / all the laundry. That's not how it works. When they're married, they don't have eleventy sisters to share the household tasks with, so it sure looks to me like their parents failed them miserably in yet another way.

6 minutes ago, Carm_88 said:

Jessa was in control of the SOTRDT and I know that she was the organizer/packer in the older 19KAC episodes. Also, because I see myself in Jessa, I assumed (perhaps wrongly) that she doesn't have much patience for cooking/it doesn't interest her and she would rather do something else. That may not be the way of it at all! Just how, I see it. :P

I'm almost entirely positive that JESSA HERSELF had said she doesn't like cooking because she doesn't have the patience :)  It was in one of the Jessa/Ben courting episodes, pretty sure.  Maybe the same episode where the rolls burned because Jessa got busy elsewhere?  And after her and Ben were married, I think there was an episode where Jessa not being the best cook was featured again as a subplot.  Was it Thanksgiving?  Anyways, "Jessa can't/doesn't like to cook" was definitely a "thing" for TLC to play up before she became the golden Duggar daughter.  

2 minutes ago, JillyO said:

I agree that pot roast is a really impractical thing to cook for 20 people, and so it's no wonder the Duggar daughters never learned how to make one.

However, the fact that one person was responsible for cooking and the others apparently never learned to cook is just one more way in which their parents failed them, even by their own standards. If you claim than a woman's role is in the home and that you are teaching them to be perfect housewives and mothers, then you need to actually teach them those skills. Not teach each skill to one daughter and then make her do all the cooking / all the sewing / all the laundry. That's not how it works. When they're married, they don't have eleventy sisters to share the household tasks with, so it sure looks to me like their parents failed them miserably in yet another way.

I think one of the problems that Fundies often fail to grasp is that in a mega-household, there's not room for a learning curve.  Cooking for 20 is such a massive task on its own, there's no room for someone to mess up a meal (that's a good chunk of change down the drain), no room for someone to be bad at laundry (it'll back up so far they'll never be able to recover), no room for someone to be disorganized at homeschooling (you've got a full class of kids!).  So the girls get "stuck" in whatever jurisdiction they are in.  While it would make sense to move them around, you try to do that in real life and the wheels come right off the wagon.  The system falls apart.  Suddenly you're sunk, and you're sunk SO FAR that it's a massive effort to climb back out.  

How the hell has Jessa never made a roast in her life!? She's been a trainee stay at home mom her whole life, and an actual mom for years. (Yes I finally became one of the Judge the Cooking posters) it's the easiest thing in the world to make in a crockpot. LOLing at her sharing the gospel like everyone else on planet earth hasn't figured this out. 

I tried to make pot roast once. Epic. Fail.
I use a similar recipe except I add one package of dry Italian dressing and one package of dry ranch dressing. I buy low sodium variety when they are available. Super good. 

Instead of the gravy mixes or in addition to? I’m, uh, asking for a friend.

In addition to. Add to the two cups of water with the gravy mix and pour over the roast and vegetables in the crock pot. Cook on low for about 8 hours. I usually use red potatoes. 

*cooking time is approximate based on size of roast

Reading all this I just keep thinking about that industrial kitchen and full out diner set up they have at the TTH. I cook for a living and the Duggar kitchen looks just as good if nor bigger and better than a lot of commercial kitchens I've worked in. How long have they had that kitchen (+the "pretty kitchen" and industrial dishwahsers right)? Yes, cooking a pot roast for 20 people is a big job and cooking a pot roast for 4 people can be a big deal if you're not a cook or haven't done it before.

So this is not to snark on Jessa or anyone else trying to figure out how to feed themselves or their families but to say f**k you Michelle and JimBob for not using the that amazing kitchen you have to it's full potential.

Yes, they have to feed 20 plus people everyday  but once in a while they could pull off an excellent pot roast or turkey dinner with all the fixins or any number of amazing meals for 20 people in that kitchen no problem. And the kids should get to eat that amazing meal off real plates with real damn utensils because it's nice to know the feel of a nicely weighted freaking fork and to cut into your lovely chunk of delicious whatever it is on plate that isn't paper. Once in a while!

Those lazy assholes could have a pot roast or the like at least once a month at the TTH! My aunt does meals on wheels once a week for seniors in a kitchen much smaller that the TTH, she does it by herself and  as cheaply as she can and she makes amazing meals for about 30 people every week.  I just don't believe that JB and Michelle can't pull off the same thing once in a while for their own children.

1 hour ago, Bad Wolf said:

Didn't they have "jurisdictions ", where they learned a variety of chores?

If they didn't, their parents did a shitty job of preparing those young women for the only career choice available to them.

Maybe that was part of Derick's coming to Jesus= maybe he felt like he was sold a bad bill of goods? IMO, they both were.

5 minutes ago, CaricatureQualities said:

Reading all this I just keep thinking about that industrial kitchen and full out diner set up they have at the TTH. I cook for a living and the Duggar kitchen looks just as good if nor bigger and better than a lot of commercial kitchens I've worked in. How long have they had that kitchen (+the "pretty kitchen" and industrial dishwahsers right)? Yes, cooking a pot roast for 20 people is a big job and cooking a pot roast for 4 people can be a big deal if you're not a cook or haven't done it before.

So this is not to snark on Jessa or anyone else trying to figure out how to feed themselves or their families but to say f**k you Michelle and JimBob for not using the that amazing kitchen you have to it's full potential.

Yes, they have to feed 20 plus people everyday  but once in a while they could pull off an excellent pot roast or turkey dinner with all the fixins or any number of amazing meals for 20 people in that kitchen no problem. And the kids should get to eat that amazing meal off real plates with real damn utensils because it's nice to know the feel of a nicely weighted freaking fork and to cut into your lovely chunk of delicious whatever it is on plate that isn't paper. Once in a while!

Those lazy assholes could have a pot roast or the like at least once a month at the TTH! My aunt does meals on wheels once a week for seniors in a kitchen much smaller that the TTH, she does it by herself and  as cheaply as she can and she makes amazing meals for about 30 people every week.  

A- freaking-men- Crockpot meals are easy peasy, especially for a crowd.

I abhor laziness!

2 hours ago, Georgiana said:

I'm almost entirely positive that JESSA HERSELF had said she doesn't like cooking because she doesn't have the patience :)  It was in one of the Jessa/Ben courting episodes, pretty sure.  Maybe the same episode where the rolls burned because Jessa got busy elsewhere?  And after her and Ben were married, I think there was an episode where Jessa not being the best cook was featured again as a subplot.  Was it Thanksgiving?  Anyways, "Jessa can't/doesn't like to cook" was definitely a "thing" for TLC to play up before she became the golden Duggar daughter.  

I think one of the problems that Fundies often fail to grasp is that in a mega-household, there's not room for a learning curve.  Cooking for 20 is such a massive task on its own, there's no room for someone to mess up a meal (that's a good chunk of change down the drain), no room for someone to be bad at laundry (it'll back up so far they'll never be able to recover), no room for someone to be disorganized at homeschooling (you've got a full class of kids!).  So the girls get "stuck" in whatever jurisdiction they are in.  While it would make sense to move them around, you try to do that in real life and the wheels come right off the wagon.  The system falls apart.  Suddenly you're sunk, and you're sunk SO FAR that it's a massive effort to climb back out.  

That's when the laundry fairy, Grandparents, other sweet friends or TLC etc. step up to help. 

On 2/1/2018 at 3:39 PM, purplepeony said:

Henry is so determined! His eyes also look quite like Spurgeons here. Both boys seem to be so engaged in the world and interested in learning/ trying things. I really hope they are educated and allowed to fulfil their poetical but I don’t have much hope

Jessa is doing a great job with them. I like the way they always have hands-on, educational toys in front of them, blocks, slides, stuffed animals, etc.  Of course, she wouldn't tape them sitting in front of a screen, but still, you don't even see discarded electronic toys in the background. And they seemed really engaged when they play with their cars and trucks and things.

Plus, the kids seem happy. You really can't fake that with small children. Unlike, say, Israel, these boys seem happy and engaged in the world around them. And they seem clean, well fed, and loved. Nice job, Jessa! (This is surprising to me, because she really didn't seem very engaged with her little buddies in the Duggar household)

2 hours ago, Georgiana said:

I just watched that clip on YouTube, it’s their first meal in their new house as newlyweds, she preheats the oven and cooks the owners manual and warranty info. 

6 hours ago, Nargus said:

I just watched that clip on YouTube, it’s their first meal in their new house as newlyweds, she preheats the oven and cooks the owners manual and warranty info. 

And TLC milked that story forever :pb_rollseyes:

3 minutes ago, justmy2cents said:

I don't believe so @freedom_for_all. Either she's waiting to make a big reveal in time for the new season or she's messing with us. I vote for pregnant.

Agreed on the pregnant but I kinda hope she's messing with us.

On 2/1/2018 at 7:40 PM, MargaretElliott said:

Coincidentally, I just made a beef bourgingnon in my crock pot today, recipe courtesy to Martha Stewart. I served it with garlic mashed potatoes. It was calorific, fatty, and exceedingly unhealthy. It was amazing.

I have an embarrassing story. I kept my phone in my pocket at work, and anything could happen in that pocket. This goes way beyond butt dials. I left voicemails, sent texts, and even posted to Facebook from my pocket, without my knowledge. So I put a password on it, but there was an emergency contact function which meant you could call 911 without unlocking the phone. A wonderful thing, in theory.

I called 911 4 times from my pocket on the first day.

Finally, on my lunch break, they called me back and I sorted everything out. Luckily no emergency vehicles were dispatched, but I was still completely embarrassed and took the password off my phone immediately.

Spurgeon and Henry are the cutest little chicken nuggets I ever did see. They're positively cherubic. I can't really say anything anyone else hasn't already said- Jessa seems to enjoy her boys, I hope she continues to do so and not get burned out and listless by child #7. I'm expecting an announcement on Valentine's Day. 

That sounds delicious.I found a seemingly easy recipe for Coq Au Vin.I am looking forward to trying it....with mashed potatoes.

And the pool drains??I am thinking twice about going in the deep end of any pool.The drains have some seriously powerful suction,and they have had some horrific accidents.

20 minutes ago, justmy2cents said:

I don't believe so @freedom_for_all. Either she's waiting to make a big reveal in time for the new season or she's messing with us. I vote for pregnant.

I'm pretty sure she's pregnant too. 

If she is pregnant, she doesn't usually announce straight away plus with all the other announcements recently she may have been accused of stealing their thunder by announcing at the same time.

1 hour ago, Glasgowghirl said:

If she is pregnant, she doesn't usually announce straight away

Yes. This. She has to take time to plan a cutesy photo shoot, coordinate outfits for the family, convince John David to fly to Laredo and bring Jinger back to actually take the pictures, etc., etc.  

*I don’t mean to mock fun pregnancy reveal pictures if that’s your thing. This post is meant to snark on the way TLC drags out the pregnancy announcement antics for the Duggars.

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived