IGNORED

Seewalds 29: Still Marketing Cute Kids

Coconut Flan

7 minutes ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

What?  Like totally serious I've not heard of this and I use it all the time, now questioning my life choices. :my_confused: Off the the googles!

Cooking sprays are not poison.

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

What?  Like totally serious I've not heard of this and I use it all the time, now questioning my life choices. :my_confused: Off the the googles!

Propane (or butane) as a possible propellant, plus silicone in some of them. No, thank you. 

Also, loaded with GMO ingredients (which I avoid like the plague). 

I use organic/non-GMO/hormone-free butter for greasing pans (if needed). :)

11 hours ago, SamiKatz said:

When my nephew was around two or three years old, we were having big time plumbing issues so called a plumber to come and check it out.  The plumber crashed, banged around and tore out pipes, and then we heard him laughing his head off.  He came up from the basement and said "Here's your problem", and in his heavily gloved hand showed us G.I. Joe, covered in extremely unpleasant substances, who apparently my nephew  had sent on a particulary onerous tour of duty.

I had somewhat of the same problem recently. Frozen pipes and 2 sausages down the toilet made for quite a mess. Thanks you niece and nephew :my_sick: 

I totally agree with @singsingsing, learning to cook was a huge hurdle for me but I forced myself to do it for my kids. Some early attempts didnt turn out and it was so hard and frustrating to spend money and put in effort for it not to turn out. When I mastered things like roast, baked chicken, different pasta dishes, sloppy joes etc I was so happy and amazed how easy it could be once I calmed down and found a good, solid recipe to follow. And I still take pictures of crap I cook that is halfway edible. So I get Jessa on this one.  Also I will use cooking spray every once in awhile for certain things but its definitely not necessary for crock pot roast. 

Our favorite roast: throw a boneless chuck roast in the crockpot. Sprinkle with salt, lots of turmeric, cumin, and garam masala if you have it. Add onions, carrots, and sweet potatoes. Pour a can of full fat coconut milk over top. So good. It works fine in the crockpot, but if you can cook it in a Dutch oven in a low oven all afternoon, it’s even better. 

If you have a little meat and veggies leftover, shred the meat, add some broth, frozen peas, and cooked rice, maybe a little extra seasoning and you have a nice stew for lunches. 

My onions and peppers are never properly cooked in the crockpot if not sauteed before. It turned me off attempting crockpot cooking. Is it me, my pot or the recipes?

1 hour ago, PainfullyAware said:

My onions and peppers are never properly cooked in the crockpot if not sauteed before. It turned me off attempting crockpot cooking. Is it me, my pot or the recipes?

My onions cook nice and soft, so maybe your crock?

I like to make Spinach and Artichoke dip in my crock pot. That's my Superbowl dish this year. 

45 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

I like to make Spinach and Artichoke dip in my crock pot. That's my Superbowl dish this year. 

i love artichoke dip.  I can make all of a sudden yellow chicken curry on my stove with green beans due to Jamie Oliver. 

On 1/31/2018 at 6:58 AM, HarleyQuinn said:

I feel like Jill and Anna probably both do for sure, but I'm glad that Jessa doesn't seem to.

And this is why I never, ever let my kids play with my phone. If anyone touched it that was a big solid "nope" lol

I still remember the time my then-2-year-old neice was throwing a tantrum and I gave her my phone to try and calm her down. It usually would work, but not that time. That little girl chucked it to the gravel and peices of screen went everywhere. 

Just FYI - even deactivated phones will still call 911. My friend's toddler called 911 and both police AND fire showed up because the dispatcher couldn't get any response to the open line.

I'm not sure there's a way to stop this from being a thing?

I think it’s important that they are able to. Anyone should be able to reach emergency personnel when needed. Remember that the Turpin child used a deactivated cell phone to call the police. It may be very inconvenient if a child accidentally calls 911 but I think it’s definitely worth it. 

So the "inconvenience" of a toddler "accidentally" calling 911 means someone who REALLY NEEDS emergency services has to wait while the dispatcher tries to figure out what's going on? 

No. No fucking way. Teach your kids to call 911 WHEN NEEDED, but don't let them play with a phone that can still call 911. Ever.

https://www.everydayfamily.com/blog/toddler-calls-911-sixteen-times/

https://www.pressherald.com/2018/01/30/search-for-open-911-call-alarms-sanford-residents/

http://www.calgary.ca/CSPS/PSC/Pages/Accidental-9-1-1-calls.aspx

1 minute ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

So the "inconvenience" of a toddler "accidentally" calling 911 means someone who REALLY NEEDS emergency services has to wait while the dispatcher tries to figure out what's going on? 

No. No fucking way. Teach your kids to call 911 WHEN NEEDED, but don't let them play with a phone that can still call 911. Ever.

https://www.everydayfamily.com/blog/toddler-calls-911-sixteen-times/

https://www.pressherald.com/2018/01/30/search-for-open-911-call-alarms-sanford-residents/

http://www.calgary.ca/CSPS/PSC/Pages/Accidental-9-1-1-calls.aspx

Pretty sure @Knight of Ni meant that it's worth it for deactivated phones to still be able to call 911, and that deactivated phones should therefore keep that feature intact. Not that it's cool to let kids call 911 on deactivated phones.

1 minute ago, singsingsing said:

Pretty sure @Knight of Ni meant that it's worth it for deactivated phones to still be able to call 911, and that deactivated phones should therefore keep that feature intact. Not that it's cool to let kids call 911 on deactivated phones.

Thank you @singsingsing. Exactly what I meant. I’m not sure how what I said could be interpreted any other way. 

It may be very inconvenient if a child accidentally calls 911 but I think it’s definitely worth it. 

Coming back because I'm not letting this go. Yet.

Yes, having the ability to call 911 from any cell phone is definitely "worth" it. I agree 10000000000000%.

BUT - it's not just "inconvenient" if a child accidentally calls 911. At all. 

28 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

Coming back because I'm not letting this go. Yet.

Yes, having the ability to call 911 from any cell phone is definitely "worth" it. I agree 10000000000000%.

BUT - it's not just "inconvenient" if a child accidentally calls 911. At all. 

Yes, it's a problem, no, it should not be treated lightly, and parents should not let their kids play unsupervised with deactivated cell phones for that reason. But 911 operators are trained to deal with these scenarios and it's generally not a catastrophe if a kid calls 911 from a deactivated phone. I'm not sure who you're arguing against here, anyway. I think everyone agrees that it's not okay to let kids dial 911 for no reason.

I'm glad it's possible to call 911 on a deactivated phone. That's how the 17-year-old girl from the Turpin family was able to call the police.

22 hours ago, VineHeart137 said:

And she made a roast.

Hide contents

I'm so glad Jessa posted the recipe, because those baby carrots look 100% like smalls weens, and the world is NOT ready for pot roast with weens. :pb_lol:

18 hours ago, JemimaPuddle-Duck said:

Our favorite roast: throw a boneless chuck roast in the crockpot. Sprinkle with salt, lots of turmeric, cumin, and garam masala if you have it. Add onions, carrots, and sweet potatoes. Pour a can of full fat coconut milk over top. So good. It works fine in the crockpot, but if you can cook it in a Dutch oven in a low oven all afternoon, it’s even better. 

If you have a little meat and veggies leftover, shred the meat, add some broth, frozen peas, and cooked rice, maybe a little extra seasoning and you have a nice stew for lunches. 

I'm going to try this. Sounds delicious.

Henry is so determined! His eyes also look quite like Spurgeons here. Both boys seem to be so engaged in the world and interested in learning/ trying things. I really hope they are educated and allowed to fulfil their poetical but I don’t have much hope

I also, had to learn to cook while in college. My mom is a magnificent cook, but I’m still in th beginning stages.

I can make turmeric tomato stuffed peppers, beef stir fry, rice, macaroni pie, teriyaki chicken, turkey meatballs, garlic sautéed shrimp (white wine and oyster sauce are a must!) and sesame-ginger quinoa salad. 

I still have a lot to learn. The true test of being able to cook for me is being given something to cook with and the dish coming out amazing without the aid of a recipe. 

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived