IGNORED

Chelsy and John Maxwell 2: On to the Honeymoon Somewhere Warm

Coconut Flan

Clarify for me please: Was the word "vasectomy"  actually uttered during the wedding ceremony?  Thanks to all the fj-ers who live-posted during the ceremony. 

Personally, I hope John and Chelsea had to run out during the ceremony because they were on the verge of laughing uncontrollably.   The "I forgot my vows" thing was just an excuse. 

• Replies 608
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, NachosFlandersStyle said:

Here's hoping that Sarah met a nice, ex-Amish bachelor farmer at the reception.

I was hoping the same thing. 

While I'm all for women going barefaced if they so choose, but clearly Chelsy has some makeup on.  Whatever lip color/product she wore makes her look dead or frostbitten.  Maybe she didn't want to get any on her new hubby but even a light tint would be more flattering.  

7 minutes ago, sableduck said:

I CANNOT imagine what Chelsy’s extended family thought about the vasectomy speech.  

I was at a gathering once with some of her extended family and one man, a doctor, started talking about birth control and vasectomies/vasectomy reversals.  They were SOOOO uncomfortable, it was terribly awkward, even in a very small group setting.   Those types of things are just not publically discussed, ever ever, in my local mennonite community(where Chelsy’s mother is from).  And certainly not in church.  Fertility is a blessing, yes, but like all blessings, it is not one to be prideful of or spoken about it public.

I cannot even imagine how terribly uncomfortable that must have been for them.  

I agree. I guess the Mennonite relatives may be used to how much the Bontragers blather on and on at weddings with self serving speeches (majorly prideful in my opinion) but I doubt they expected a speech about vasectomy reversal! 

22 minutes ago, sableduck said:

Those types of things are just not publically discussed, ever ever, in my local mennonite community(where Chelsy’s mother is from).  

To be fair, in my heathen community we don't talk a whole lot about vasectomies and reversals a either.  The vasectomy talk kind of made me nostalgic for root beer floats in a cold parking lot....

I must say the trip down the Maxhell rabbit hole has been interesting and this wedding was just the icing on the cake. At least they did the wedding their way? (Grabbing at straws here). 

Why did she decide to go barefoot? Did she ever say? Honestly just curious. My poor feet are freezing at the very thought.

I think the bridesmaids' dresses were a pretty color but they seemed a bit casual for a wedding. Maxi dresses are really popular right now for - well almost anything - so I guess they will be used again. I would have chosen something a bit more dressy. I keep imagining that lovely teal color in a flowy fabric with a lace overlay on the top - maybe a little sparkle to match Chelsy's dress. I would have been very uncomfortable in that dress because it seemed clingy and I don't need anything clinging to my backside.  

I can totally see Married Anna cutting that dress and making it into a long maternity top. It would make a cute Tunic for any of the women. 

I could not get a real clear look, but it seemed like Married Anna's neckline had been modified some. The three Maxwell daughters' appeared to have the same thing. I am eager to see if they brought the neckline up a bit. 

I liked the wedding dress. It had a few construction problems, the wide midsection being biggest, but sewing sequined fabric is NO picnic.. 

AFA the bare feet, it's probably a "going humbly before God" kind of thing... her willingness to submit and OBEY, doncha know?

The bridesmaid dresses? Meh. Ok, consistent, and good for multiple pregnancy sizes.

Vasectomy talk? NO. HELL NO.

10 minutes ago, Mela99 said:

Why did she decide to go barefoot? Did she ever say? Honestly just curious. My poor feet are freezing at the very thought.

I think I also said it on the last page but Chelsy says she's a farm girl and prefers Togo barefoot. I guess it's how she's most comfortable. But I can't imagine it being comfortable in the middle of winter on tile floors...

Happy NYE! I’m preparing to laugh at old comedies tonight, not cry on my knees for the unsaved [sic] as the Maxhellions are known to do.

Bad news: I very distinctly recall that the Bontragets said, via various media, that while the wedding would be live-streamed it would NOT be available online after that. 

The conspiracy theorist part of me says that was planned precisely so that Papa B wouldn’t have his Re-Powered Penis Remarks on the Internet forever. 

My Rufus, can you imagine the fun a program like The Soup would’ve had with such a speech?

So much for modesty. 

Thanks to everyone who provided commentary! I’m mainly praying for Poor Sarah and a Iowan Bachelor Farmer from here on out.  

Clarify for me please: Was the word "vasectomy"  actually uttered during the wedding ceremony?  Thanks to all the fj-ers who live-posted during the ceremony. 

From what I heard, the word vasectomy was not directly used. Mr. Bontrager tried to be discreet, I think, but it was still super awkward.

8 hours ago, meee said:

I can't snark on this. At my wedding the buttons malfunctioned and the train fell back down and I ended up shlepping an armful of fabric too, because it was either that or stop everything and get someone to button it back up.

Fair point! I didn’t have a train but I do remember others having a band attached to the end of the fabric  that they slipped over a wrist. Well anyway. The dress was pretty!!! And shiny! I bet Anna & Mary were goggle-eyed, PSarah was sad, and Stevovah and His Archangel The Terifying were so huffy they burped!

30 minutes ago, fellowunfundie said:

From what I heard, the word vasectomy was not directly used. Mr. Bontrager tried to be discreet, I think, but it was still super awkward.

Sheesh, that Steve, who is still flagellating  himself for the shame of inadvertently glimpsing a woman's cleavage years ago, would want someone to reference his scrotum, directly or indirectly, at the marriage of his son, is so pflgliberschnitzing pflebartgrzzz, I can't even.  I suspect alien life forms who are monitoring earthling social customs are frantically blinking at each other's eye stalks, telegraphing something like, "WTAEF?  That's just not right" and giant gel sacs that monitor the appropriateness of social interactions are flaming shades of red and pink all over.  Even God is doing a massive face palm, all like, "What did I ever do to deserve this?"

I could very well imagine Stevus making his vasectomy the main point of a wedding sermon (they have never tried to hide it and have actually been openly shouting it from the rooftops), but it was Pa Bontrager who spoke about it. He has clearly come a long way from his roots. This incident just cemented the thought I've gotten of him before: he's a jerk. His mother must have been listening to his bullshit with red ears! I wonder if Steve was aware Pa Bontrager was going to bring up the vasectomy or was it a surprise for him as well. And calling the reversals down to the stage so everyone could take a closer look at them...? WTF?! Such a wise and humble leader, this Marlin Bontrager :5624795033223_They-see-me-rollinroll:

Other than this sick and twisted turn of the plot... John looked really good in a well fitted suit and vest, and Chelsy looked lovely. I'm not a fan of heavy make-up, but if that makes her feel like herself, then I'm all for it. I don't know any American hymns other than Amazing Grace, but I really liked the first one where Chelsy played the piano. It had a catchy tune :)

I would love to see photos from the dinner afterwards!

John and Chelsy seemed rather handsy the entire wedding ceremony. Not just holding hands. John and Chelsy were basically in a Duggar side hug almost the entire time. And their faces came rather close together a few times. I bet it made Steve uncomfortable that they were that handsy onstage before they were married. 

I never believed any gossip that Jessa and Ben did it at the church after the wedding and before the reception or any other type of stuff like that. But I'm really thinking Chelsy may have made up that whole "I left my vows in the other room" so she and John could be alone and have their first kiss without everyone they know watching. It would have been much better if they had just planned to leave at the end without kissing but these people use drones in their weddings and talk about vasectomies. So who knows...

This cheesecake does look good. 

IMG_5959.PNG

11 hours ago, fluffy said:

Ah, the traditional splayed bridal toes. So elegant. 

5a4876f18ce4b_ScreenShot2017-12-30at11_33_57PM.png.cec8f76e5977e94e67061c00cfa67bb6.png

I just can't get past the bare feet.  So trashy, no matter how great the dress may be.

I'm surprised that John wore a light grey suit.  I would have predicted dark navy or maybe charcoal grey.

It’s a common-ish thing to do. Chris and NR-Anna saw each other before the wedding briefly, I believe. 

The bridesmaid dress is probably the clingiest thing NR-Anna has ever worn. 

Have the Maxgirls ever worn makeup before? I know they don’t tend to day-to-day which I understand (I’m the same) but have they ever worn it for special occasions? Does Teri ever wear it?  

You know I have never seen a more joyless group than the Maxwells (watched a video and a dementor would have starved to death: no happiness anywhere while singing I'll fly away).  And in contrast the Bontragers actually are having fun.  I think Papa Bontrager stopped the Maxhell singalongs.  Thankfully.  Too bad the Bontragers are not using acapella.  Mennonite choirs do it so beautifully.  

3 hours ago, Howl said:

pflgliberschnitzing pflebartgrzzz,

You win allll Teh Interwebs with that one!!!

1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

If that clock is correct, it looks like they saw eachother before the wedding:

IMG_5958.PNG

They usually do, in Maxhell. Remember Not-Quite-Ofchris smiling at Chris as he played piano for a photo op with her, pre-ceremony?

I didn't watch the live stream but just reading about it here…so much WTFery. I would at least hope that Chelsy's dad cleared the whole reversal thing with Steve and didn't just blindside The Reversal spawn by hauling them up on stage without warning. Warning or not, though, it's just about the most inappropriate thing I've ever heard of at a wedding, even worse that Steve's death speech. 

I have to say that when I first saw that group shot with John in his gray suit, he totally reminded me of Steve Anderson. Oy. 

Are there pix somewhere other than the ones that were posted here? I couldn't get much of an idea of the bridesmaids dresses and what I see of Chelsy's dress isn't much to my liking. Of course, it's not my wedding and as long as she was happy that's all that matters, right? (I also made my own wedding dress, and the dresses for my three attendants, and was sewing mine right up to the day before our wedding.) I do see some flaws with Chelsy's, mainly with the gathering in the bodice. The lace, which looks like corded/alencon lace, is too heavy for that type of gathering so it doesn't lay down nicely. It probably would have been better if she had fitted the bodice or at least pleated or tucked, rather than gathered the lace. Also, it looks like she sewed the skirt as a unit, with the lace and underlayment as one. The two different weights of fabric will hang differently and you can see it in one of the photos where she's holding up the train and in the one above where you can see how the seam is pulling. Again, it would have been better if she'd treated the lace and fabric separately, with the lace overlaying the fabric skirt, so each moved separately. And finally, the lace hems looked very unfinished because they were simply cut and stitched. There are matching/coordinating lace trims that she could have used to give the hems and neckline a more finished, elegant look. And yeah, the band was way too wide and would have looked better in a contrasting fabric, rather than lace. But it's her dress so if she's happy… Not that I can't give it the hairy eyeball or anything.

I think the seeing each other before hand is par for the course for fundie weddings. Have we ever seen someone not do that?

3 minutes ago, Mela99 said:

I think the seeing each other before hand is par for the course for fundie weddings. Have we ever seen someone not do that?

The Bateses don't. They do the praying before the wedding with the groom blind folded and often a door or something between them. They take a picture of it too. 

Seeing a bride before the wedding is superstitious. A lot of fundies or really religious people don’t follow superstitious traditions. Jehovah’s Wittnesses see each other before the wedding because of that. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived