IGNORED

Kendra and Joe Duggar 8: Expecting the Expected (a Boy)

samurai_sarah

Although I was wondering if they salted the roads by you? I noticed when we got back there was no salt or sand or other methods that would have help with the road conditions. Just seemed odd that's all.

No, I think because it's rare that we'd actually need it, it's not really feasible to have all the equipment needed for salting roads

• Replies 559
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, VelociRapture said:

Try coming in late spring or the fall if you can. I can’t speak for other areas, but the Northeastern US is really lovely those times of year and you usually miss most of the “extreme” weather. 

Unfortunately I chose to be a teacher which means I can’t get the unextreme times of year off long enough to bother to make the journey. Not sure I’ll ever make it back, though i’d love to explore some more. (I did Upstate NY, NYC and Vegas in 2016, RIP when I had money and free time)

17 minutes ago, victoriasponge said:

long enough to bother to make the journey.

OH man - grab five days and DO IT. We do five-day trips to Europe three or four times a year! It's a blast, and (comparatively) cheap!

1 minute ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

OH man - grab five days and DO IT. We do five-day trips to Europe three or four times a year! It's a blast, and (comparatively) cheap!

Half terms are only seven days and I’ll need to lesson plan for part of that (wish I could teach someone else’s lessons sometimes!), Easter and Christmas are two weeks but far more expensive (same with 6 week summers). I’m trying to arrange something with my boyfriend. Crossing my fingers for 2019. He’s never been to North America (though he has gone to Ecuador, the lucky bugger) all I want is to go back to NYC :my_blush:

Daughter number 2 and I are planning a trip to USA in May.  I have a conference in SAN Francisco and then we are planning to go to New York.  After that New Oeleans and then Hawaii on the way home.  Daughter has already booked a trip along the west coast and up to a Canada, her trip finishes the day my conference starts.

Husband is jealous but refuses to set foot inside USA while a Trump is president. :dramallama-nanner:

43 minutes ago, Percy said:

Daughter number 2 and I are planning a trip to USA in May.  I have a conference in SAN Francisco and then we are planning to go to New York.  After that New Oeleans and then Hawaii on the way home.  Daughter has already booked a trip along the west coast and up to a Canada, her trip finishes the day my conference starts.

Husband is jealous but refuses to set foot inside USA while a Trump is president. :dramallama-nanner:

Damn, you guys are practically hitting the entire continent! I'm impressed!

I can see the United States from my house and I haven't been over since Trump was elected. I'm hoping he gets kicked out soon because there are a lot of things I want to do over there, haha.

1 minute ago, singsingsing said:

Damn, you guys are practically hitting the entire continent! I'm impressed!

I can see the United States from my house and I haven't been over since Trump was elected. I'm hoping he gets kicked out soon because there are a lot of things I want to do over there, haha.

I’m in the us and I hope he gets kick out soon also. I have Facebook friends who are big supporters so I can’t voice my option on my page for fear I may loss a client. 

1 hour ago, Percy said:

Holy scrap. How long is your trip?

11 hours ago, Jana814 said:

I’m in the us and I hope he gets kick out soon also. I have Facebook friends who are big supporters so I can’t voice my option on my page for fear I may loss a client. 

Same boat, except it's my family that are huge supporters. From the way my dad talks about him, you'd think Trump was Jesus. :roll:

I can't even go there and talk about it today lol. I'm not strong enough.

I haven't been able to travel much as an adult because of college and law school. Of course now that I'm starting a new job in a week I've been invited on two different trips (a friend group trip to Chicago and a bachelorette weekend in Savannah, GA) that I'll have to say no to because I won't be able to take time off right away. Last year I got to go to Boston and Portland at least, and both trips were super fun.

13 hours ago, singsingsing said:

I can see the United States from my house

But can you see Russia from your house?!

Spoiler

download.jpg

Otherwise, I'm unimpressed :pb_lol:

I work in the travel industry, and travel from Mexico into the US has been on a massive decline (not that I blame them!). However, there apparently has been an enormous increase of travel from Mexico into Canada.

1 hour ago, front hugs > duggs said:

But can you see Russia from your house?!

Hide contents

download.jpg

Otherwise, I'm unimpressed :pb_lol:

I work in the travel industry, and travel from Mexico into the US has been on a massive decline (not that I blame them!). However, there apparently has been an enormous increase of travel from Mexico into Canada.

Not gonna lie, whenever I say ‘I can see the U.S. from my house’ its low key in reference to that line. :pb_lol: Oh 2008... it was a simpler time.

Last trip we took was our honeymoon. Two years ago today was the day we came face to face with a beautiful wild sea turtle. I miss Barbados... 

We are talking about taking our first vacation as a family of three (possibly four if we take our dog and choose pet friendly accommodations) this June though. Most likely idea is Cape Cod - we’ve been there before, we love it there, and the drive isn’t bad from where we live. I’d love to get my husband to Italy one day (both his parents have Italian heritage), but not until our kid(s) are old enough to appreciate a trip like that. And of course, we’ll need a trip to Hershey Park and Disney World at some point too. First we need to save up to move to a slightly bigger place though, so those bigger trips won’t happen for a few years.

2 hours ago, singsingsing said:

Not gonna lie, whenever I say ‘I can see the U.S. from my house’ its low key in reference to that line. :pb_lol: Oh 2008... it was a simpler time.

That sketch was the best!!  

4 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

We are talking about taking our first vacation as a family of three (possibly four if we take our dog and choose pet friendly accommodations) this June though. Most likely idea is Cape Cod - we’ve been there before, we love it there, and the drive isn’t bad from where we live. I’d love to get my husband to Italy one day (both his parents have Italian heritage), but not until our kid(s) are old enough to appreciate a trip like that. And of course, we’ll need a trip to Hershey Park and Disney World at some point too. First we need to save up to move to a slightly bigger place though, so those bigger trips won’t happen for a few years.

If (when) you go to an amusement park like Disney, you should wait until your kid(s) can go on the fun rides too. Disney World is getting a few new thrill rides in the next few years, and if they're anything like the new Pandora expansion, you don't want to miss it!

I'm waiting until little Quinns are 8 or over before we go to Disney World. I went for the first time when I was 11 and I thought that was perfect. I don't want them to be too short for rides.

19 hours ago, RainbowSky said:

Holy scrap. How long is your trip?

About 3-4 weeks for me.  About 2 months for daughter number 2.  She starts university in the middle of the year after working and saving for the last 2 years.  She deserves a break.  

Daughter number 1 gets back from a month in south east Asia, on Monday.  She has worked almost every weekend in the hospital kitchen for the last 3 years to save.

I think travelling will be a good learning experience for them.

I will be taking some long service leave, so a couple of days before the conference, about 5 days in New York.  We are planning on 3 days in New Orleans and the 5 days in Hawaii.

Any must do suggestions will be great fully received.

1 hour ago, Gillyweed said:

If (when) you go to an amusement park like Disney, you should wait until your kid(s) can go on the fun rides too. Disney World is getting a few new thrill rides in the next few years, and if they're anything like the new Pandora expansion, you don't want to miss it!

Our daughter is only one, so Disney is part of our ten year plan. Lol!

But yeah, we want any kids we have to be big enough for most of (if not all) the rides. My family went when I was about five or six and I still remember my little brother crying hysterically because he wasn’t allowed on Splash Mountain. My dad took him on another ride while Mom took my sister and I on Splash Mountain, but the poor kid was absolutely heartbroken. I still feel bad thinking about it now, so I absolutely want to avoid that with my kids. 

Travelling is too bloody expensive.  Last time I looked at flight fares, it was cheaper for me to fly to the UK than to the fly to the East Coast of Canada. 

4 minutes ago, Sky with diamonds said:

Travelling is too bloody expensive.  Last time I looked at flight fares, it was cheaper for me to fly to the UK than to the fly to the East Coast of Canada. 

Agreed, I received a small inheritance when my Uncle passed away last year, Otherwise this trip would be another 3 years away.

16 minutes ago, Sky with diamonds said:

Www.scottscheapflights.com  

and groupons for restaurants/attractions

priceline for hotels

2 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

Www.scottscheapflights.com  

and groupons for restaurants/attractions

priceline for hotels

Thanks, I will bookmark those. My family is in Newfoundland and Ontario, a trip is long overdue, especially Newfoundland.

On 1/7/2018 at 9:35 PM, Jana814 said:

I’m in NJ the weather this past 2 weeks has been horrible!  

Upstate NY here, originally from Central Jersey--it was so brutal here I was longing to be in Jersey with the family :D  Mid to upper 30's today, and Friday they are talking about 50!  Woo Hoo, gonna take out the sandles  LOL   

And @PumaLover  that is a beautiful photo!  I've been sitting here staring at a blank canvas with no inspiration--and then I saw this!  Inspiration block over....thank you!

• Jellybean locked, unlocked and locked this topic

Archived