IGNORED

Kendra and Joe Duggar 8: Expecting the Expected (a Boy)

samurai_sarah

@GuineaPigCourtship glad to hear you did well. We are okay because we are far to the west/on the border. Still, poor puppies and not looking forward to the bitter cold this weekend.

WiseGirl walking her dogs: start off, one's paws get cold, pick dog up, warm dog up, put dog down in time to pick up other dog (I have 2).  Repeat endlessly until they do their business,  rush home. Walking and weight lifting all in one. 

Looking forward to 30 to 40F next week. A heat wave!

• Replies 559
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

Last year, we had the hardest winter that my area has seen for years, with thousands of dollars (we might have hit millions?) of damage to homes and businesses.

Wow, thats crazy the stark difference a few hours of travel does weather wise, I had no idea! I guess we have been pretty lucky then the past few years!  Also, yes me too! I feel so bad for all of the regions that are being damaged w/the weather and all of the deaths I've heard about due to both temperature and car accidents.  I don't even need to mention the fact that it's so much harder for states that aren't used to this weather to have proper procedures for what to do, so it's definitely been hard to hear on the news all that has been happening as of recent!

We got around a foot of snow yesterday, but the winds were really bad. Husband works ten minutes away, but he still opted to work from home so we didn’t have to worry about him driving. Velocibaby helped me bake brownies and we had veggie burritos for dinner, so it was a nice enough day taking it easy. She was a HUGE fan of the plow though - she stood at the window for the longest time watching it move the snow off the roads of our condo complex. 

I’d love to bring the baby outside to play for a few minutes, but it’s only going to be around 14 Fahrenheit today and she doesn’t have snow boots (I know. Mom fail. I ordered some this morning though.) Maybe we’ll play outside next week when it should be a bit warmer. 

I live in SC,and we're snowed in...lol.The roads are icy and treacherous.We aren't going anywhere.I saw in the local news,that a pedestrian was killed by a driver who slid on the icy road.Very sad.

15 hours ago, AtlanticTug said:

It's absolutely miserable. I lived in Europe for a period of time (The Hague) and hated the winters there. It was so damn wet and dark and cold. I prefer the snow and arctic temps of the Northeast US because you do get sunny days and it doesn't feel so depressing.

When I was in Sweden they often referred to winter as "the dark times".

I am in Cleveland so we are used to snow. But today it is literally 0 degrees. There is a stark difference between 20 degree cold and 0. Brrrrr

It's -24C (-11F) here in Toronto today.  Really cold for this part of the world.  Luckily, it's nice and sunny, at least.

Its been the crappiest 2 week school break ever and I am fighting depression from being cooped up in the house with 3 kids all day! Its so insanely cold in Nebraska and I despise it. I cant do much with these kids when its this cold and I have all 3 by myself. Been to BK/Mcdonalds play place more times then I’d like to admit, and thats about it. Im a better mom out and about. I have a hard time motivating myself and coming up with stuff to do in the house all day everyday. I have a routine and its thrown off.  I am eating horribly and not working out. Im just a mess and going insane. So glad they go back to school/preschool and its warming up next week. Thank you Rufus!

Here  in Kentucky is has been below freezing for I think 9 days. Supposed to warm up to 25 degrees tomorrow. Warmer on Sunday however we are supposed to get a winter mix Sunday night in to Monday morning. I hate the winter, bring on the heat and humidity please!

I got excited though because I'm in southeastern PA and we got hit with 4 inches and I got my last run in before I start my half marathon praying (#prayforme) and I was actually surprised because last night it dropped below 0 or very close to it and yet today during my run I didn't hit any ice at all. I'm getting excited though because Monday it's finally breaking and by the end of next weekend it's supposed to be 50 (aka might as well be summer!)

Melbourne Australia here, 32 degrees Celsius currently and expecting 42 C today.

Sitting in front of air conditioner and hoping for no power blackouts.

Poor Mr Way found a Swedish girl that is not at all interested in moving to Australia. The heat is just too much for me. I much prefer -10c to +40c. You can always put on more clothes but there is only so much you can take off ...

I’d like it if the winter was a bit shorter and the summer a bit longer but other then that I really like the seasons in Sweden and am so happy we moved away from Stockholm and it’s miserable rainy, muddy, dark winters. A sunny day with lots of snow and a few degrees below 0 (celcius!) can be great fun. Am hoping for a day just like that tomorrow when we take Miniway skiing for the first time.  And after that we’re going to a hockeygame!

I feel for all of you that have been attacked by winter though. That’s never fun!

we had crazy winter weather in South Texas this week... Last Saturday, I was wrapping my plants while it was in the 60's, because it was in the 20's the next day! we actually didn't really get above freezing til yesterday, which is an insanely long cold snap for this neck of the woods! And it was gray and dreary too... everyone was miserable. It wouldn't have been so bad if we'd gotten some snow to go with it! The most a few places got was some freezy sleet though... and it's gonna be close to the 70's this weekend, lol

Spoiler

26168709_10159984182060045_4339044481521

Spoiler

26167708_10159982011440045_5062920694638

Spoiler

26165721_10159979037375045_7823028555201

@rainbowbabycakes Those deer look really over the cold. "We migrated to Texas to avoid this crap, dammit!"

I was sad to hear about iguanas falling out of the trees down in Florida during this cold snap because it probably means a lot of them are going to die.  Poor little herps  :pb_cry:

1 hour ago, GuineaPigCourtship said:

Poor little herps

Extra happy you know about herps. My herp professor in college was super cool. :)

Extra happy you know about herps. My herp professor in college was super cool. default_smile.png

Herp lover here too! Debated on making my profile on here either cat or turtle related. Cats won out though I have 6 rescue turtles. #crazyturtlelady

I'm in California where we have ridiculous warm and sunny temps. At least I finally moved up to the mountains where it's slightly cooler and not miserably hot every day. Here's a bit of sunshine from earlier for all FJers in the horrible freeze zone.a63b91cc05deef208d35250a1a36c36a.jpg

Oldest and I both like snakes but Hubby is terrified. The good news is the cold is killing the Burmese pythons in the Everglades. I have some wicked iguana pics from when we lived in Key West and one did a hell of a number on our cat when he accidentally escaped. They're cool to look at though!

Iguanas are also an invasive species to Florida.  Local environmentalists are saying that it’s a good thing they are freezing because it might cull the population a little. 

I’m from the Northeast US, but we’ve been traveling around Belgium and the UK for the past couple of weeks. I can’t wait to go home - while it may be a “bomb cyclone” and below freezing temperatures, I’m banking on seeing at least some sun! All I’ve seen is darkness and gloominess and wetness, and I’m ready for a change. 

The heat is just too much for me. I much prefer -10c to +40c. You can always put on more clothes but there is only so much you can take off ...
A sunny day with lots of snow and a few degrees below 0 (celcius!) can be great fun.

Four and half years ago that was the idea temps for me. It was rare to get me outside when it the 80'sF. And Where I went to university at in the states we had snow on the ground half of the time until late June or early July. The weekend before I left in middle of May it snowed making it fun to move out. Now after moving to the south I don't know if I could handle the cold to much anymore. I think that I can contest that you do get use to the heat... well, if it dry heat that is.

we had crazy winter weather in South Texas this week...

I think the same can be said for West Texas too. I was driving back from Michigan last weekend so I missed most but when we arrived back to our house the roads looked like it was an city wide ice rink. Kind of thought about pulling out my ice skates instead of my yak tracks to move around.

Although I was wondering if they salted the roads by you? I noticed when we got back there was no salt or sand or other methods that would have help with the road conditions. Just seemed odd that's all.

2 hours ago, Knight of Ni said:

Iguanas are also an invasive species to Florida.

Good to know!  The pythons get all the publicity.

Newfoundland gets hit by so called weather bomb. There is some snow, lots of wind, mostly rain; we turn it around and are warmer than Florida the next day. It was 8 degrees, I was considering shorts! :D 

On 2018-01-06 at 1:53 AM, Iamtheway said:

A sunny day with lots of snow and a few degrees below 0 (celcius!) can be great fun. Am hoping for a day just like that tomorrow when we take Miniway skiing for the first time.  And after that we’re going to a hockeygame!

I got my wish! And Miniway loved skiing. Our team lost though. :(

Spoiler

E6B090C0-0E88-4C2F-8CA1-6A3CA487E4B1.jpeg

On 2018-01-06 at 10:10 AM, klabourdeth said:

I think that I can contest that you do get use to the heat... well, if it dry heat that is.

How long does it take though? We have lived six months in Australia two times and that definitly didn’t do it. 

I live in NYC. I really am trying to get back on my usual gym routine after the holidays and then a week of being sick, but uuuuggghhhh going outside is the worst right now. Well, this does mean that I have no excuses to procrastinate from my studies because I'm cooped up inside; I'm working towards a professional certification and the gym, FJ, Reddit, and Amazon have been the death of me. 

2 hours ago, nastyhobbitses said:

I live in NYC. I really am trying to get back on my usual gym routine after the holidays and then a week of being sick, but uuuuggghhhh going outside is the worst right now. Well, this does mean that I have no excuses to procrastinate from my studies because I'm cooped up inside; I'm working towards a professional certification and the gym, FJ, Reddit, and Amazon have been the death of me. 

I’m in NJ the weather this past 2 weeks has been horrible!  

• Jellybean locked, unlocked and locked this topic

Archived