IGNORED

Kendra and Joe Duggar 8: Expecting the Expected (a Boy)

samurai_sarah

6 minutes ago, viii said:

These weddings keep getting prettier and prettier. 

Ha. Poor Jill. (And Anna - for a variety of reasons!)

I think counting on helps defray the wedding cost more then if it was still 19 kids. since weddings are really their only big draw.  which is why they keep getting more and more elaborate. as for Anna she just got screwed. hand me down dress hand sown bridesmaid dress and borrowed decorations.  they put no real thought into that wedding. 

• Replies 559
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Joe and Kendra got married on my parents anniversary and Joe Jr is due the day before my birthday. 

Joe seems a nice guy all the older boys do, well one exception. I think he will be a good dad but I hope they do reconsider leaving it up to God and try at least natural family planning. I wish them well.

I think their wedding was beautiful...but I'm also biased because I'm having the same wedding colors and flower style as they did! Apparently its very trendy right now but I still think its really pretty.

I wonder if Anna or Jill ever get jealous of the money and style going into current Duggar weddings, or if they got what they wanted at the time and are happy. Our question is now becoming how much say do Duggar DILs get for the wedding? 

I agree that Kendra and Joe seem like very sweet kids. I hope they are happy together...and that their quiver is manageable!!!!!!! Joe- you seem to love Kendra and be a tender soul. Don't let her have a laundry room breakdown from doing all the work singlehandedly. But if she does have a laundry room breakdown, that is YOUR cue as headship to put the kibosh on unprotected fellowship during fertile times of the month!!!

Rufus please.

1 minute ago, neurogirl said:

I think their wedding was beautiful...but I'm also biased because I'm having the same wedding colors and flower style as they did! Apparently its very trendy right now but I still think its really pretty.

I wonder if Anna or Jill ever get jealous of the money and style going into current Duggar weddings, or if they got what they wanted at the time and are happy. Our question is now becoming how much say do Duggar DILs get for the wedding? 

I agree that Kendra and Joe seem like very sweet kids. I hope they are happy together...and that their quiver is manageable!!!!!!! Joe- you seem to love Kendra and be a tender soul. Don't let her have a laundry room breakdown from doing all the work singlehandedly. But if she does have a laundry room breakdown, that is YOUR cue as headship to put the kibosh on unprotected fellowship during fertile times of the month!!!

Rufus please.

Kendra seemed to get all the say in the wedding. Joe wanted her to be happy it was her day. she really seemed to love her wedding dress. Anna I think was just handed what was there will no say in the matter. Also since we have been talking about convent weddings on another thread its interesting to note that Anna and Josh would be the one couple that do not have a convent since Florida isn't a state with such a thing.  

we'll have to wait to see with Lauren. (its so weird to talk about Lauren when we haven't even met her on the show and know almost nothing about her.). I wonder if their wedding will be held in Georgia if so no  convent for Siren either. 

The pictures are beautiful! It will be very interesting to see how the birth will go, to get some kind of indication if they could be the couple to have 19 kids. They did say they were leaving it up to god, right? Wirh Kendra being so young, I have my money on them for having the most kids, from the currently marrried ones. But only, if the birth goes well. 

2 hours ago, Ivycoveredtower said:

Kendra seemed to get all the say in the wedding. Joe wanted her to be happy it was her day. she really seemed to love her wedding dress. Anna I think was just handed what was there will no say in the matter. Also since we have been talking about convent weddings on another thread its interesting to note that Anna and Josh would be the one couple that do not have a convent since Florida isn't a state with such a thing.  

we'll have to wait to see with Lauren. (its so weird to talk about Lauren when we haven't even met her on the show and know almost nothing about her.). I wonder if their wedding will be held in Georgia if so no  convent for Siren either. 

We don't know if JinJer or JoKen have covenant marriages. In the JoKen wedding, Pa Caldwell just said that he was going to sign the "marriage certificate" while JoKen lit the unity candle. No mention of a covenant marriage was made. 

6 minutes ago, marmalade said:

We don't know if JinJer or JoKen have covenant marriages. In the JoKen wedding, Pa Caldwell just said that he was going to sign the "marriage certificate" while JoKen lit the unity candle. No mention of a covenant marriage was made. 

With the Duggar's unless it's said otherwise or in a state that doesn't have a convent law I'm just going to assume they are all convent marriages. 

6 minutes ago, Ivycoveredtower said:

With the Duggar's unless it's said otherwise or in a state that doesn't have a convent law I'm just going to assume they are all convent marriages. 

covenant - an agreement, usually formal, between two or more persons to do or not do something specified

convent - a community of persons devoted to religious life under a superior

I always laugh a little when people question if the previous married Duggars ( specifically Anna and Jill) are jealous of the newlyweds, and their amazing weddings that are paid for by TLC. 

When I got married 20 years ago, my parents were broke and still raising my little siblings. My wedding was tiny, and cheap. We splurged on a few things, and I paid for as much as I could, and my mom took out a loan for a little bit. Fast forward, and my youngest siblings are now getting married… 

Financial situations are incredibly different, but parents are no longer raising children, my siblings are in their late 20s when they’re getting married, as opposed to my 19, and my parents received a sizeable inheritance a few years ago.  Ask result, my baby sister is getting an amazing wedding, that I did not get. She also had her college paid for, which I did not either. 

I am not in the slightest jealous. I’m happy for her, but I’m thinking if I have my wedding to do again? I run to Vegas, get married in my jeans, and use all that money for my house.  So it is totally possible, to be happy with what you had and not jealous of your siblings. However? My family is “normal“ and we’re not raised with the competitive nature that we have to be better than everyone else especially in gods eyes. 

Pretty wedding pictures, lovely bride.  But Rufus, I wish they were her prom pictures.  I know that some people here bristle at calling her a child because technically she is a woman, and I know that a lot of 19 year olds are mature and can make great parents.  But as an almost 50-year old, I also know that as mature and wise as you may be at 19, time brings along wisdom that just can't be earned any other way.  I am even wise enough now to know that my 70-year old self will look back and think that I was a real dumbass at 50. 

I've had a lot of coffee today, and a strong pint of beer as well.  So, I may be rambling.  But damn, I wish Kendra were head cheerleader, or in the chorus of the big Spring musical.  I wish that she was worried about which sorority she should pledge.  Or practically anything other than the fact that she is going to be having a baby in a few months and will be having a baby every year or so until she is 40. 

One of the pics shows her with her dad at the altar---he almost looked like the groom, he is so young.  I just can't imagine . . .

2 minutes ago, Satan'sFortress said:

Pretty wedding pictures, lovely bride.  But Rufus, I wish they were her prom pictures.  I know that some people here bristle at calling her a child because technically she is a woman, and I know that a lot of 19 year olds are mature and can make great parents.  But as an almost 50-year old, I also know that as mature and wise as you may be at 19, time brings along wisdom that just can't be earned any other way.  I am even wise enough now to know that my 70-year old self will look back and think that I was a real dumbass at 50. 

I've had a lot of coffee today, and a strong pint of beer as well.  So, I may be rambling.  But damn, I wish Kendra were head cheerleader, or in the chorus of the big Spring musical.  I wish that she was worried about which sorority she should pledge.  Or practically anything other than the fact that she is going to be having a baby in a few months and will be having a baby every year or so until she is 40. 

One of the pics shows her with her dad at the altar---he almost looked like the groom, he is so young.  I just can't imagine . . .

I thought her mom was her sister in some of them.  

Previously posted this in Josiah's thread by mistake, so I'm now reposting here: 

I just checked Google Maps and it seemed to update the satellite picture during the time I was zooming in (it went from full trees to bare trees). Based on the roof of the log house as seen in the episode, you can see how close the TTH house and Joe and Kendra's houses are. And that the new house didn't have a driveway at the time the satellite image was taken, plus that it looks out onto the huge warehouse. (And it still had construction debris everywhere, but hopefully that's fixed by now.) Lovely. At least they kind of parallel each other, with a fair number of trees in between, rather than facing each other. 

Spoiler

5abaf2ba857a9_JandKsHome.thumb.PNG.8d3362cf6b67692b61752b18bc67909c.PNG5abaf2beed36b_DuggarHouses2.thumb.PNG.d1c6beec08da52ad13c25714e1f07b02.PNG

4 hours ago, neurogirl said:

Rufus please.

I’m sure your wedding will be beautiful. There is nothing wrong with choosing what one likes no matter if it is on trend or not. 

I have a question about covenant weddings: are they legally binding in any way? Or is it just a piece of paper that works as long as both parties value it. If you want a divorce can a judge refuse because you signed it? Because if it is not legally binding I see no problem.

Flashback to the homeschool discussion: I am surprised how brave many of you are considering teaching children on your own. I have a Bachelor of Education but I would never dare to take on the responsibility of teaching more subjects than I am qualified for. And my degree doesn’t even qualify me to teach in public schools- should have done the Master for it. The hours of work that go into planning lessons, the thinking about at least two didactic approaches (you never know what works before as every child is different and sometimes the same child responds very different on a daily basis), being up to date with the current standards on the topic. The knowledge you have to have about „your“ subjects to be equipped for more in-depth questions. Maybe school is very different but here children go from grade 1 (6/7years) till grade 10 or grade 12/13. They have around 10 to 12 different subjects at a time (depending on grade). I could never qualify in so many subjects and I could never get all the subject specific didactics  straight. What do you do when the curriculum you follow doesn’t give you the right approach for your child or you just don’t have enough knowledge about the subject. In my eyes there is a reason why there a teachers for different subjects. From what a lot of you wrote the homeschool curriculums sound more like a one way street than what qualified teachers can offer. (Not denying that there a bad teachers though).

And what about the so called „hidden curriculum“? Learning to be part of a group of peers? Teamwork with peers. Having to work with people you don’t like or people who do things very different than yourself (which can be very frustrating). Learning to deal with the frustration of you feel treated unfair from someone higher in hierarchy. Those things will be important when you start a job.

With all those questions - I can see the need of homeschooling in some cases. And maybe the US school system is worse than it looks from the outside (dare I say as bad as your health insurance?). But I am still astonished how many think they are equipped to be teachers for all the subjects.

24 minutes ago, metheglyn said:

Previously posted this in Josiah's thread by mistake, so I'm now reposting here: 

I just checked Google Maps and it seemed to update the satellite picture during the time I was zooming in (it went from full trees to bare trees). Based on the roof of the log house as seen in the episode, you can see how close the TTH house and Joe and Kendra's houses are. And that the new house didn't have a driveway at the time the satellite image was taken, plus that it looks out onto the huge warehouse. (And it still had construction debris everywhere, but hopefully that's fixed by now.) Lovely. At least they kind of parallel each other, with a fair number of trees in between, rather than facing each other. 

Reveal hidden contents

5abaf2ba857a9_JandKsHome.thumb.PNG.8d3362cf6b67692b61752b18bc67909c.PNG5abaf2beed36b_DuggarHouses2.thumb.PNG.d1c6beec08da52ad13c25714e1f07b02.PNG

It's SO. CLOSE. I cannot imagine living in my parents' backyard as an adult.

Just now, beepy13 said:

It's SO. CLOSE. I cannot imagine living in my parents' backyard as an adult.

I totally can. I would seriously consider it if it were legal in my city. But I feel like you have to have a really good relationship with your parents and a really good understanding of personal space and each unit's independence to make it work. I could definitely make it work with my mother and her husband. Not so sure about other family members. The Duggars? NO THANKS. Something tells me they're not really the sort who respect personal space, privacy, and the independence of their adult children...

1 minute ago, Mela99 said:

I thought the plan was for all the kids to have houses on the property at some point

I remember Jim Bob mentioning something about it in one of the very first specials. not sure if it's been brought up since but wouldn't living on mommy and daddy's property fly in the face of leave and cleave. seriously the Duggars are baffling. 

1 minute ago, Mela99 said:

I thought the plan was for all the kids to have houses on the property at some point

Duggar Ville with JB as the mayor. 

Sounds like a nightmare to me!

Jim Bob made an off hand statement about that over ten years ago and nothing has been said about it since. It was probably half joking or wishful thinking on his part and not to be taken as incontrovertible fact. Because it’s not really happened like that as we can see. But the property is 20 acres so they can if they want without necessarily being up each other’s asses . 

@just_ordinary, covenant marriages are like “super marriages”, which is why the Duggars like them. They make it harder to divorce (though still not impossible). 

So, for example, as much of a dick as Derick has been lately, Jill cannot file for divorce from him. In order to divorce Derick in AR, Jill would need to meet the criteria shown below, which boils down to only being able to divorce Derick for adultery, abuse, committing a serious crime, or after living 2.5 YEARS apart. 

662F9E8E-4A74-4C04-A799-F571E5601743.thumb.png.ea2d5a4434efb8d91ff6974b30a22cb8.png

39 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

The Duggars? NO THANKS. Something tells me they're not really the sort who respect personal space, privacy, and the independence of their adult children...

On the other hand, if Kendra is extremely blessed with lots of blessings, particularly male at first, they would have the closest access to auntie Moms. 

Also, Michelle could take over their laundry, as Grandma Mary did. Turnabout is fair play! (Yes, I know that will never happen.)

10 minutes ago, Georgiana said:

@just_ordinary, covenant marriages are like “super marriages”, which is why the Duggars like them. They make it harder to divorce (though still not impossible). 

So, for example, as much of a dick as Derick has been lately, Jill cannot file for divorce from him. In order to divorce Derick in AR, Jill would need to meet the criteria shown below, which boils down to only being able to divorce Derick for adultery, abuse, committing a serious crime, or after living 2.5 YEARS apart. 

662F9E8E-4A74-4C04-A799-F571E5601743.thumb.png.ea2d5a4434efb8d91ff6974b30a22cb8.png

I no nothing about divorce law so this may seem like a stupid question but does  the divorce have to be filed in the state you are currently living in. or is it where you were married. Since that law only covers three states couldn't Jill just leave the state and file. 

or for example if JInger does have one would it still be considered binding since she married in Arkansas  but lives in Texas? 

12 minutes ago, Georgiana said:

That’s it? These are more or less the divorce requirements of New York State prior to 2010. The seperation period for a conversion divorce was a year, but still, the way covenant marriages are touted I was expecting much more stringent criteria to end one than existed for every divorce in NYS when I started practicing law. 

11 minutes ago, Ivycoveredtower said:

I no nothing about divorce law so this may seem like a stupid question but does  the divorce have to be filed in the state you are currently living in. or is it where you were married. Since that law only covers three states couldn't Jill just leave the state and file. 

or for example if JInger does have one would it still be considered binding since she married in Arkansas  but lives in Texas? 

It's the state you're currently living in. Using Jill as an example, she would need to move to another state and establish residency there before she could divorce under that state's laws. Although she might have issues with moving to another state due to custody issues (assuming Derick didn't want to cooperate with the divorce).

As far as I know Jinger doesn't have a covenant marriage, but it would not be binding in Texas.

• Jellybean locked, unlocked and locked this topic

Archived