IGNORED

Kendra and Joe Duggar 8: Expecting the Expected (a Boy)

samurai_sarah

14 hours ago, Sky with diamonds said:

Then again, the weather can change so quick back there. I'm used to blizzards, heavy rain and wind, sleet, all that weather, but the very high and low temps that is possible in Alberta...eff no, not even after 12 years of living here. 

*Sends you some*

It broke here in Southern Alberta too. Thank Rufus, at least I was able to go check the mail without fear of freezing while doing it.

I'm in Southern Alberta too and loving the thaw (except the part where our apartment building had 3 different pipes burst in 3 different apartments ALL of which share walls with ours causing some minor flooding...) But really I'm just thrilled to be able to take mr.pooch outside for more than 5 mins at a time without his whiskers freezing. 

• Replies 559
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 hours ago, anaandrade said:

I live in northern California, just north of Sacramento. We typically have highs of low 60s during the winter and mid to low 40s lows. This year the temperatures dropped a little to highs in the mid/high 50s and lows in the mid/low 30s, close to freezing. It has been getting a little warmer over the past week. I love our Mediterranean climate, until it gets to summer and we're always in the high 90s/100s. I feel for you guys. Stay warm :)

I grew us just south of Sacramento and I tell people all the time that I miss our winters. I live near Lake Tahoe now and it's so. damn. cold. 60 degrees and rain is perfect!

17 hours ago, HermioneSparrow said:

Send some cold to this hell hole, today was 100°F. I hate it.

We don't get that warm here but it is pretty much a constant 80-88* F here year round so i feel you on wanting some cooler weather. Though, I am currently wearing a sweater and have a blanket on because I am freezing in my house with the a/c on. (it is set to 76*F). We are traveling somewhere cool and snowy next month and I alternate from being super excited for the temp. change and dreading getting used to a drastic change in weather. 

3 hours ago, LacyMay said:

I'm in Southern Alberta too and loving the thaw (except the part where our apartment building had 3 different pipes burst in 3 different apartments ALL of which share walls with ours causing some minor flooding...) But really I'm just thrilled to be able to take mr.pooch outside for more than 5 mins at a time without his whiskers freezing. 

Are you me? That's what I was worried about the pipes busting. Thankfully it didn't happen here, because I would be up more crap creek than I am.

My beloved dog didn't like the cold weather. Or even the very hot weather. I don't like it myself LOL. I'm used to four seasons, not just the two that I think I see here, summer and winter. We had a lovely, beautiful fall season over two years ago.

Where I am in Alberta, it's beautiful, but it took some getting used to because I am from a tiny place in Newfoundland. And I'm always homesick for it, and haven't been back since 2007. Give me the fog, mist any day.

19 hours ago, Carm_88 said:

Under warnings make me giggle because we always are. They're only right once in a blue moon! :P 

Please be careful. It's going to be a doozy the storm that's heading your way.

Take care.

@VelociRapture I work as a vet and every single winter I diagnose lyme disease in dogs because (I assume) people throw a party in November and stop using flea/tick products til April.  I remind them that with warm temps and no snow the ticks aren't going anywhere.  Give the cost of doxycycline and the health risks with lyme it's cheaper just to use preventative year round.

When I moved back from the midwest I was super paranoid about lyme and specially ordered the vaccine so my dog could receive it before the move.  I still use two types of tick products on her just to be safe.  I have been lucky enough never to get lyme despite an insane tick population in my part of the state (walking across the yard with the dog often earns me a tick).

2 minutes ago, GuineaPigCourtship said:

@VelociRapture I work as a vet and every single winter I diagnose lyme disease in dogs because (I assume) people throw a party in November and stop using flea/tick products til April.  I remind them that with warm temps and no snow the ticks aren't going anywhere.  Give the cost of doxycycline and the health risks with lyme it's cheaper just to use preventative year round.

When I moved back from the midwest I was super paranoid about lyme and specially ordered the vaccine so my dog could receive it before the move.  I still use two types of tick products on her just to be safe.  I have been lucky enough never to get lyme despite an insane tick population in my part of the state (walking across the yard with the dog often earns me a tick).

Oh I know! We get her vaccinated every year (along with her normal vaccinations and her Lepto) and use Frontline year round to play it safe. We found a few ticks on her in the early spring of 2016, right after we adopted her, and we’ve been very careful ever since. Last thing we want is for either of the babies to get sick with Lyme disease or another tick borne disease.

5 hours ago, louisa05 said:

Bless you, that is not cold. When we went out on New Year's Eve, it was -12 F which is a bit over -24 C. It is currently -10 C here. 

(For those Americans who don't want to look up the conversion, 6 C is almost 43 F. My husband would be wearing shorts at that temp). 

My husband probably would too and he is aussie. :) 12 years in Sweden and counting though. 

On the other hand I have never been colder then during winter in Australia and NZ. It doesn’t get as cold as here. But in Sweden you can go inside and be warm. My inlaws house has a fireplace that only worms up half the house, not including our bedroom. The house I lived in in NZ had a gap under the door where snow blew in! 

2 hours ago, GuineaPigCourtship said:

CT here. Why would people stop flea and tick? One day of warm up and those things are everywhere. My dogs got the new Lyme vaccine this year and they still get monthly Frontline. I wish they had a vaccine for humans. Heck, I'd take Frontline for humans!

@GuineaPigCourtship and @VelociRapture stay safe with the storm tomorrow. May it not be as bad as they say it will be.....

Accuweather says it's 16 here in SE Michigan but the wind drops it to -11. Hubby wants me to unwrap from my comfy blanket and go out to eat. I'm desperately trying to convince him that a bowl of cereal here at home is a better option. Especially after dropping $218 on a new winter battery for my car earlier tonight. Kids are awaiting word on whether or not they have school tomorrow.

9 hours ago, Sky with diamonds said:

Are you me? That's what I was worried about the pipes busting. Thankfully it didn't happen here, because I would be up more crap creek than I am

I started questioning the same thing when you mentioned Southern Alberta haha. And to make it better I actually lived in Newfoundland for 11 years (so almost the amount of time you've been in NL.) 

Only difference is I grew up here and moved there not vice versa. 

13 hours ago, WiseGirl said:

My dogs got the new Lyme vaccine this year and they still get monthly Frontline. I wish they had a vaccine for humans.

As a human with Lyme disease I 1000% agree!!!

On 03/01/2018 at 10:29 PM, SweetJuly said:

It's not very cold here, but I recently read an article stating that we only had 5 hours of sunshine in all of December 2017 :my_confused:

I genuinely cannot comprehend this. Even the most miserably wintertime periods here would get that much sunshine in two or three days. Not doubting you, it’s just such a foreign concept

28 minutes ago, oldfashionedgal said:

I genuinely cannot comprehend this. Even the most miserably wintertime periods here would get that much sunshine in two or three days. Not doubting you, it’s just such a foreign concept

It's absolutely miserable. I lived in Europe for a period of time (The Hague) and hated the winters there. It was so damn wet and dark and cold. I prefer the snow and arctic temps of the Northeast US because you do get sunny days and it doesn't feel so depressing.

21 hours ago, Shadoewolf said:

Accuweather says it's 16 here in SE Michigan but the wind drops it to -11

It's 5 in SW Michigan right now, and its supposed to get down to -6 w/o the windchill tonight, so who knows how cold it will get.  We're supposed to get like 5 more inches of snow here tomorrow and I'm really REALLY hoping we do not actually get that much! At least over here, we've gotten lucky the last 3 winters with pretty mild temps, so if this keeps up I'm not necessarily looking forward to it! :P

On 1/3/2018 at 9:48 PM, WiseGirl said:

May it not be as bad as they say it will be.....

So far we got lucky!  I think we topped out around a foot and no power outage.  My husband was recently unemployed so we spent the storm tucked up in front of the fire drinking mimosas and roasting a turkey.  He'll be snow blowing tomorrow and I'll be shoveling the steps/sidewalk and a path for the dog, but for today we lazed.  I hope all is well in your part of the state, too.

Isn’t it crazy. We’re bracing for a heatwave over the weekend while you guys are literally freezing. Parts of Sydney are predicted to get to 45c. I was visiting relatives in the Hunter Valley when it got to 47 last year, which is 116.5f.

We're down to 0 exactly,  wind chill -12 and school was cancelled a few hours ago because the wind chill is expected to hit -25 or worse. We actually rearranged the furniture for maximum heat vent access (sectional couch was blocking 1 of 2 vents in the living room), put blankets over the windows and sealed off the non-working fireplace as best we could. I'm in a long sleeve thermal shirt, fuzzy jammy pants, slipper socks and I'm buried under a thick blanket. But us Michiganders are used to the cold so we're prepared. I feel worse for Florida, Villalobos Rescue in New Orleans whose pipes all burst and they don't have room to bring all the dogs inside, Texas, etc. 

I’m one of those weirdos who loves the winter. Bring on the dark, cold days and snowstorms. I get more depressed in the summer than I do the winter, and I only recently found out that people can have *reverse* seasonal affect disorder. 

It’s 9F here and I have my bedroom window open. 

7 hours ago, oldfashionedgal said:

Well, there is "light" of some sort, but it's just constantly grey. The sky is almost always covered with clouds, there is sometimes snow but mainly it's rainy, windy and absolutely miserable.

It's indeed a concept and type of weather that used to be foreign to me too before I moved to where I currently live, but unfortunately it's the reality here :( I used to be one of these people who loved hiding in the shade and made fun of people who sought out the sun whenever there was blue sky, but after just 1 year of living here I have become just like them!

Lack of sunshine is real and can get very depressing.

6 hours ago, seashell1025 said:

At least over here, we've gotten lucky the last 3 winters with pretty mild temps, so if this keeps up I'm not necessarily looking forward to it! :P

Last year, we had the hardest winter that my area has seen for years, with thousands of dollars (we might have hit millions?) of damage to homes and businesses. I really sympathize with all the parts of North America that are getting pounded so far this winter, but I'm just so relieved that it hasn't been too bad here so far. And I really hope I haven't jinxed myself. The beginning of the serious snow started almost exactly one year ago. :cold:

The weather here is kind of depressing. I have not seen the sun for days! It's cloudy and rainy and dizzy.   It's not cold, we have about 5-10°C. But I would definitely prefer  some cold days with snow if I can see the sun! :special-snowflake1: Sunny days with loads of snow may be delivered to the middle of Germany, please! 

It's actually 15ºF this morning, but we got a little more snow overnight. They're saying it's gonna get warmer on Sunday. Up to 32ºF, so yay? No. Not so fast. Because we're going to have freezing rain. This winter has been the coldest in years. I am so ready for summer.

• Jellybean locked, unlocked and locked this topic

Archived