IGNORED

Was blind but now I see - Carri Me Away

happy atheist

I haven't seen you posting in awhile, Buzzard.  I guess you were saving it all up for this doozy.  I feel for Carri's children, particularly - who'll never know a sibling, and will always be affected by their early experiences watching their mother being treated as an object.

• Upvote 5

@Flossie @slp I was able to find her with the clues you gave: Jenny Groothuis, mother of 15 (8 bio, 7 adopted from Africa)

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 8

2 hours ago, refugee said:

Glad she’s out.

I noticed on the Facebook link that he’s friends with Wendy Jeub and Gregg Harris. There’s a lot of scripture on that Facebook. Jarring contrast to the bruises in the photos on this thread.

I wish her and her children well. Hope her sons can come to their senses somehow.

You must mean the old account? I didn't see any scripture on his current account. Interesting that even with what appears to be the family's falling away from the faith the oldest son would still consider the mom in sin for leaving. 

I don't know this family, I'm very sad to hear about their story though. 

• Upvote 3

Not a person I have ever followed but god how awful. I will send prayers in her name and I hope she can keep finding her way. I hope her sons will come around. 

• Upvote 8
  • Love 1

Carri's story was being followed on FJ early in my membership with a very long thread.

Glad she is in a better place now and I hope her sons eventually come around to understanding why she had to leave.

• Upvote 13

In a sense, by denying her medical care, Carri's  ex-husband murdered her baby.  I'm so glad she's out and starting a new life. 

• Upvote 15

10 hours ago, Anonymousguest said:

You must mean the old account? I didn't see any scripture on his current account. Interesting that even with what appears to be the family's falling away from the faith the oldest son would still consider the mom in sin for leaving. 

I don't know this family, I'm very sad to hear about their story though. 

It was the account with entries from 2014 and 2015. Only one of the links worked for me (I think it was the second one).

• Upvote 3

12 hours ago, slp said:

If it's the one I'm thinking of (cant' remember the name) but they were fundy lite adoptive family??  They had several kids, then adopted several from Africa I think.  She posted very upbeat stuff, I really enjoyed her blog, to be honest.  Kids were super cute, then she committed suicide in the family van.  Apparently she had depression, possibly bipolar?? Jenny something was her name.  Last name was Grolius or something? 

The woman was Jenny Groothius.  I haven't read the actual statement her husband made after her death tying her accident to depression.  I think he still posts on Facebook.

• Upvote 3

This was well before my time and I'm reading the second thread Buzzard linked in tears. I'm so glad she got out and that she's finding her way. 

Seriously, FJ, thanks for the light you shine on the practices of this religion, these people. I came for the snark, but I stay because of the good work. 

• Upvote 13
  • Love 4

@Buzzard a side question. What did your co-workers think when you shared info about FJ?

As for her sewing, I wish I knew if she lived closed. I have an older machine that I (nor my daughters) use. I would be happy to give it someone that loves to sew but doesn't have a machine because of an abusive asshole decided to take revenge out

• Upvote 9
  • Love 6

11 hours ago, acheronbeach said:

I haven't seen you posting in awhile, Buzzard.  I guess you were saving it all up for this doozy.  I feel for Carri's children, particularly - who'll never know a sibling, and will always be affected by their early experiences watching their mother being treated as an object.

My 10 month old headship has prohibited me from spending as much time here as I want to.  He also prohibits sleeping, eating, peeing, showering, sitting... 

51 minutes ago, quiversR4hunting said:

@Buzzard a side question. What did your co-workers think when you shared info about FJ?

We actually jumped down a rabbit hole about the Pearls and I told them all about "to train up a child" and the horrors related to it. 

53 minutes ago, quiversR4hunting said:

As for her sewing, I wish I knew if she lived closed. I have an older machine that I (nor my daughters) use. I would be happy to give it someone that loves to sew but doesn't have a machine because of an abusive asshole decided to take revenge out

@Curious and I have been trying to figure out if she ever got the machine back based on her posts.  I remember she was very active on the "diaper sewing divas" board and was very talented.  I have no idea how she is supporting herself and her children, but if she managed to get her machines she could be quite successful with an internet store.  There are no other posts (that I can see) about her machines and fabric.

• Upvote 17
  • Thank You 3
  • Love 2

Wow, I went down the rabbit hole of re-reading -- amazing that I remembered so much of it.

@Buzzard It looks like since you posted, Mark took down the FB page with his current life (or made even his profile private? - I get "This page isn't available" when I click your link).

The older FB page, the one with Carri, has publicly viewable posts that look like Carri had another dead baby (?) in late 2014. It also has whining about CPS in association with some saga in which one of the boys is obviously in the hospital.

And in other news - while re-reading the old FJ thread - I clicked the link to the midwife's site, and lo and behold, if that midwife group isn't still in practice:my_angry: .

• Upvote 6

13 minutes ago, apple1 said:

Wow, I went down the rabbit hole of re-reading -- amazing that I remembered so much of it.

@Buzzard It looks like since you posted, Mark took down the FB page with his current life (or made even his profile private? - I get "This page isn't available" when I click your link).

The older FB page, the one with Carri, has publicly viewable posts that look like Carri had another dead baby (?) in late 2014. It also has whining about CPS in association with some saga in which one of the boys is obviously in the hospital.

And in other news - while re-reading the old FJ thread - I clicked the link to the midwife's site, and lo and behold, if that midwife group isn't still in practice:my_angry: .

I can still see his page here:  https://www.facebook.com/papsy.chim

The 2014 posts are Benaniah.  They were posted on infant loss awareness day and are the original pictures taken by "now I lay me down to sleep" in 2009.  I remember seeing them back before he scrubbed her blog. 

Yeah, Home4birth and Brandi Wood are still out there doing their thing, sadly.

• Upvote 7

Wow.  I've been reading the old threads.  It's all so awful and on top of all that he was beating her.  That "man" needs an epic asswhopping from a real man.  See how it feels.  

I'm also pretty shocked at poster cupertino's actions.  Major concern trolling.  Not cool, imo.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

42 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

I can still see his page here:  https://www.facebook.com/papsy.chim

The 2014 posts are Benaniah.  They were posted on infant loss awareness day and are the original pictures taken by "now I lay me down to sleep" in 2009.  I remember seeing them back before he scrubbed her blog. 

Yeah, Home4birth and Brandi Wood are still out there doing their thing, sadly.

Now that page came up for me from this link. Not sure why it wouldn't before. (Thank you).

Sorry, my bad on the 2014 posts.

• Upvote 2

Such a sad story. I hadn’t heard of her so am reading the old threads, quite creepy a forum member found her address and dropped by with a gift.

• I Agree 5
  • Love 1

15 hours ago, Lotsofdots said:

Such a sad story. I hadn’t heard of her so am reading the old threads, quite creepy a forum member found her address and dropped by with a gift.

And spoke with her son!  Omg. Like this woman needed a stalker too.

• Upvote 5

17 hours ago, Lotsofdots said:

I remember that part of the story when it was happening.

My memory is fuzzy on this (and I couldn't find it when I looked today in the TOU and Guidelines) - but somehow I thought that might have been the trigger for FJ creating some kind of rule that members cannot go places and "stalk" people in real life while representing themselves as FJ?? (There was also an incident in which some members went to a function of Steve Anderson's church and additionally some members went to some presentation by some couple we follow - might have been Duggars or might have been some other family, I cannot remember).

Maybe @Curious or @Destiny can address what (if any) rule FJ has about this.

• Upvote 4

We can’t police what you do in real life, but don’t do it in the name of FJ or bring it back here for head pats is basically the rule. Aka: don’t be a creeper.

• Upvote 13
  • Rufus Bless 3
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 4

I'm glad Carri is out. That life killed her baby and almost killed her. Nobody deserves that.

I don't understand this desire to track down or follow fundies. I personally have enough fundies relatives and live in the fundiest state that I don't need to hunt for more.

• Upvote 7
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, Destiny said:

We can’t police what you do in real life, but don’t do it in the name of FJ or bring it back here for head pats is basically the rule. Aka: don’t be a creeper.

That's an excellent life rule even outside of FJ.

Also anytime people do that and come here for headpats I lobby hard behind the scenes for beheading.  Just saying.

• Upvote 13
  • Haha 6
  • Love 4

2 hours ago, Galbin said:

What happened to cause the hysterectomy and death of the poor baby? Was it a haemorrhage or was it toxaemia?

I don't know if it was ever confirmed but I think we suspected an amniotic fluid embolism.

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 1

I'm halfway through the ginormous thread, basically at the point where people are parachuting in to say how totally unforeseeable it all was. Which is why I am breaking off here for a bit, because ergh.

I'm very glad Carri got out, and I hope her children come to see how strong she needed to be to leave - and leave themselves.

(And of course the next thread is John Schrader, with Esther overdue by a significant number of days and minimal prenatal care. God it never ends, does it.)

Edited by Ozlsn
More thoughts
  • Upvote 7