IGNORED

What is the difference between a priest and a reverend in the Catholic Church?

MarblesMom

I have no idea of the definition and google is not helpful.

Any ideas?

TYIA

@MarblesMom I'm not Catholic but my understanding is that a priest is a man who has been ordained and is permitted to perform the sacred rites of the religion- mass, baptism, marriages, etc. The term reverend comes from the Latin reverendus. It simply means "respected or honored" such as when we call a judge "Your Honor". So a deacon is referred to as Reverend Mister, a priest as Reverend, and a bishop as Right Reverend. 

In Italy "reverendo" was the word you used to call a priest, not a deacon, but lay deacons are a relatively recent thing and reverendo as a word is so old fashioned that I never heard it in rl, just in books and movies. Another way to call a priest is "don Firstname" and this one is still in use. Bishops are called "eccellenza" and cardinals "eminenza", the Pope "santità". 

All ways to call them accordingly with their rank. Funny and interesting how it varies in other languages.

Technically all ordained Catholic priests are reverends.  You would address a letter to "The Reverend John Doe" on the envelope and the salutation on the letter would be "Dear Father Doe" or "Father John" if you know him well.

It gets a lot more complicated when you go up the ladder.  When in doubt consult DeBrett's for Most, Very, and Right Reverends (Monseignors and suchlike), Excellencies, Graces, Eminencies and the Pontiff.  :D

Archived