IGNORED

United States Congress of Fail - Part 4

Coconut Flan

7 minutes ago, GreyhoundFan said:

Now to get him to leave congress. That would be a banner day for our country,

It is likely the government employees will be paid retroactively. However, all the contractors will likely not be paid. Plus, all the ancillary service people -- think food truck people, local restaurants, etc -- won't get anything.

When people aren't getting money, they stop spending money. They cancel services, no expensive cable package, no high-priced market, they turn down the thermostat and quit traveling. So some of those big corporation that thought they were winning with Dump are about to start losing. Worse, some small business owners will go under. The hair cut gets cut, movies are too expensive, no eating out or expensive sporting events. Time to clean your own house, can't pay a service.

Hey, @GreyhoundFan, where ya' been?

• Replies 631
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, GrumpyGran said:

Hey, @GreyhoundFan, where ya' been?

I went on Star Trek: The Cruise! Completely disconnected from everything. I didn't buy a wi-fi package, didn't watch news, didn't discuss politics (much...). I just enjoyed time away. I missed everyone here, however.

1 minute ago, GreyhoundFan said:

I went on Star Trek: The Cruise! Completely disconnected from everything. I didn't buy a wi-fi package, didn't watch news, didn't discuss politics (much...). I just enjoyed time away. I missed everyone here, however.

Yeah, I just saw your status update and left you a note there. It sounds like it was almost like detox!

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/politics/state/rep-patrick-meehan-accused-of-sexual-harassment-by-former-aide-20180120.html

U.S. Rep. Patrick Meehan saw his political future thrown into doubt Saturday after a report that the Delaware County Republican quietly used thousands of taxpayer dollars to settle a sexual harassment claim from a former aide.

House Speaker Paul Ryan quickly removed Meehan from the House Ethics Committee and said the congressman would be investigated by the panel.  Ryan also urged Meehan to pay taxpayers back for the settlement. Gov. Wolf  urged Meehan to quit office.

Political operatives in Pennsylvania said they were surprised to see Meehan – widely seen as a mild straight-arrow type – drawn into a harassment scandal, but they questioned whether his career could survive the news at a time when similar revelations have brought down powerful men in Congress, Hollywood and elite media circles.

Meehan, a former federal prosecutor who is 62 and married with three sons, professed “romantic desires” to a decades-younger aide last year and grew hostile when she did not go along, the New York Times reported, citing 10 unnamed sources, including friends and former colleagues of the woman.

Meehan, through a spokesman, said Saturday that he denied the former aide’s allegations against him and “has always treated his colleagues, male and female, with the utmost respect and professionalism.”  However, Meehan didn’t deny the payment, or explain why he agreed to a payout and a confidentiality provision if he believed the complaint was false.

As an ethics committee member Meehan was part of a panel that had been reviewing sexual harassment complaints against at least four other House members. In April, he was one of four House members to launch of a congressional task force seeking to combat sexual violence. The ethics panel will now add Meehan to those whose actions are under review, according to Ryan’s spokeswoman, AshLee Strong.

This one hurts, because this is my congressman, in the horribly gerrymandered 7th district of PA (seriously, look it up).  Instead of thinking male offenders are a rarity among elected officials, do we need to start thinking of male non-offenders as a rarity?

America is the shining beacon on the hill... for corruption!

Paul Ryan Collected $500,000 In Koch Contributions Days After House Passed Tax Law

Just days after the House passed its version of the federal tax law slashing corporate tax rates, House Speaker Paul Ryan collected nearly $500,000 in campaign contributions from billionaire energy mogul Charles Koch and his wife, according to a recent campaign donor report.

Koch and his brother David spent millions of dollars to get the tax law passed and are spending millions more in a public relations campaign in an attempt to boost support for the law, The Wall Street Journal reported.

Koch Industries, one of the largest private corporations in the nation, operates refineries and manufactures a variety of products. The new tax law — which slices corporate tax rates from 35 percent to 21 percent, slashes estate taxes and includes a special deduction for oil and gas investors — is expected to save the Koch brothers and their businesses billions of dollars in taxes. 

Just 13 days after the tax law was passed, Charles Koch and his wife, Elizabeth, donated nearly $500,000 to Ryan’s joint fundraising committee, according to a campaign finance report filed Thursday.

Five other donors, including billionaire businessmen Jeffery Hildebrand and William Parfet, each contributed $100,000 in the last quarter of 2017, according to the records.

“It looks like House Speaker Ryan is quickly being rewarded for passing this legislation that overwhelmingly benefits the Kochs and billionaires like them,” Adam Smith, spokesman for campaign finance reform nonprofit Every Voice, told the International Business Times, which first reported the Koch contributions.

The Koch donations were paid into Team Ryan, which raises money for the speaker, the National Republican Congressional Committee and a PAC run by Ryan. On the same day, Charles and Elizabeth Koch also each donated $237,000 to the NRCC.

The Koch brothers, worth an estimated $100 billion together, have become the gorillas of dark money contributions distorting American democracy since the Supreme Court’s decision in Citizens United v. FEC lifted campaign contribution restrictions. The brothers are using their massive wealth to push a political agenda that’s the “most hard-line libertarian philosophy” in America, according to Jane Mayer, author of Dark Money: The Hidden History of the Billionaires Behind the Rise of the Radical Right.

Ryan has indicated that he won’t run again when his term is up this year, Politico reported, though he hasn’t made an official announcement. If he doesn’t run, his contributions would be redirected.

21 hours ago, OhNoNike said:

Hey ya’ll! My first post here.  I’ve been out of the news and politics for the last year under a self-made rock.

Who else isn’t working Monday?

Me! Dh is also a Fed. employee, but he wont be furloughed. 

8 hours ago, GreyhoundFan said:

It is likely the government employees will be paid retroactively. However, all the contractors will likely not be paid. Plus, all the ancillary service people -- think food truck people, local restaurants, etc -- won't get anything.

Yeah, I am hourly (part time, work on a military base) so I wont be paid. DH is a fed. salaried worker and will be paid eventually. It can take awhile though, especially if there are any issues. After the 2013 shutdown it took over 8 weeks to get Dh's pay straightened out. And took about a month with the shutdown before that. 

My kids go to school on base, they still have school for now and the buses are still running. But all before school and after school activities are cancelled. So the first volleyball game of the season has been cancelled and no practice for either of my kids.  And we have a major competition for our high school students that was supposed to happen next week but it is looking like it will be either cancelled or rescheduled. I don't know much about it since I don't have a high schooler yet but a lot of parents are really upset. The school has already bought plane tickets and paid the kids' hotels. And many parents paid for their own travel. 

On a personal level we will be okay for now. We have some savings and our VA payments should still be gone through at least. And DH teaches one class at a local college. That doesn't pay a ton but it is something. 

So while I am happy the Dems are sticking to defend DACA I really, really hate government shutdowns. It just impacts us in a huge way, though we will get through it. 

McConnell is either being smart because... 

a] ...he really believes in the rules of the Senate and thinks the minority should have a say, or

b] ...he knows that changing the rules now will hurt them when they get wiped out in November and find themselves to be the minority party.

McConnell opposes 'nuclear option' in budget debate

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) on Sunday expressed opposition to using the “nuclear option” to allow the Senate to pass a long-term budget with 51 votes.

“The Republican Conference opposes changing the rules on legislation,” a spokesman for McConnell said. 

President Trump earlier Sunday suggested Republicans should deploy the tactic if the Senate is unable to come to an agreement to fund the government.

Doing so would allow the party, which holds 51 seats in the Senate, to pass legislation without a single Democratic vote.The issue came up on the second day of a partial government shutdown. Each party has steadfastly blamed the other for the ongoing shutdown.

Republicans have labeled it the “Schumer Shutdown,” in reference to Senate Minority Leader Charles Schumer (D-N.Y.), while Democrats have pointed to Trump and Republicans, who have majorities in both chambers of Congress.

Republicans might not have enough votes to pass a funding bill along strict party lines. Four Republicans voted against the legislation on Friday night. Five Democrats voted for it.

Yeah, I guess we generally have gotten paid in the past, but as with anything in the last year, I keep expectations low and don’t believe it until I see it. 

It’s not guaranteed we get paid back, but my husband said there’s already been a bill introduced for back pay.

That's what you get for having a vampire in the West Wing.

Graham: Stephen Miller makes immigration deal impossible

GOP Sen. Lindsey Graham (S.C.) warned on Sunday that the White House staff is undercutting President Trump and Congress's ability to get a deal on immigration.

"Every time we have a proposal it is only yanked back by staff members. As long as Stephen Miller is in charge of negotiating immigration, we're going nowhere," Graham told reporters as he headed into a closed-door negotiation with a bipartisan group of senators.

He added that "the White House staff, I think, is making it very difficult."

Miller, a White House aide, is well known for his conservative views on immigration. He was formerly a staffer for then-Sen. Jeff Sessions (R-Ala.), who frequently opposed bipartisan immigration deals.

Miller authored the White House's wide-ranging immigration plan, which includes wall funding and cracking down on cities that don't comply with federal immigration law.

Graham said on Sunday that Miller has "been an outlier for years" on the issue of immigration.

Democrats have repeatedly bristled at Miller's involvement, arguing he isn't a constructive force in the immigration talks. 

11 hours ago, fraurosena said:

America is the shining beacon on the hill... for corruption!

Paul Ryan Collected $500,000 In Koch Contributions Days After House Passed Tax Law

Yeah, he was on TV this morning talking over John Dickerson as if his life depended on it. He was struggling with his talking points.

41 minutes ago, fraurosena said:

That's what you get for having a vampire in the West Wing.

Graham: Stephen Miller makes immigration deal impossible

Him and Kelly. They've got Dump on a choke-chain. Republicans know this, but better to point the finger at Democrats. Great deal maker, my ass.

3 hours ago, OhNoNike said:

Yeah, I guess we generally have gotten paid in the past, but as with anything in the last year, I keep expectations low and don’t believe it until I see it. 

It’s not guaranteed we get paid back, but my husband said there’s already been a bill introduced for back pay.

If you continue to work during the Furlough you will get paid. For people that are furloughed you may or may not. Congress has to approve it. I work more or less on call so I wont get paid regardless, but we don't depend on my income so that isn't a huge deal.  My worry right now is that we are 3 weeks out from a vacation we have been planning for several months. If this drags on the vacation will have to be cancelled. We have trip insurance and shouldn't be out too much money but we would be really disappointed. Hopefully this gets resolved before that. But who knows. 

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the government will reopen after the vote tomorrow, It is the end of the semester for my kids and their school has a bunch of activities planned that would have to be cancelled if it doesn't. Plus, the whole getting paid thing.

But I am irritated that it is another shot term deal. I am so tired of this constant worry hanging over us. Just pass a budget already! Plus, this one only goes until Feb. 8th and our vacation starts on the 14th so not really helpful. Of course, Dh isn't worried at all so I am worried for the both of us, lol.

I wonder how much stock we should take of this. Will it really be looked into in depth, or will it just be a cursory look?

US Congress asks if Russian money funded Trump golf courses

The US Congress has been questioning whether Russian money could have been used to fund Donald Trump’s golf courses in the UK and Ireland.

It emerged after the permanent select committee on intelligence at the US House of Representatives released a transcript of the sworn testimony of the former Wall Street Journal reporter Glenn Simpson. Simpson, who works for the consulting firm Fusion GPS, was asked to research then-presidential candidate Trump in 2015/16.

He told the committee that he had looked at the Trump golf courses in Scotland and Ireland as part of his research. Asked whether he saw Russian money involved with them, he replied: “Well, we saw what Eric Trump [the second son of the president] said about Russian money being available for his golf – for the golf course projects, making remarks about having unlimited sums available.

“And because Mr Trump’s companies are generally not publicly traded and don’t do a lot of public disclosure, we can only look – have a limited look into the financing of those projects. But because the Irish courses and the Scottish courses are under UK, you know, Anglo corporate law, they have – they file financial statements.

“So we were able to get the financial statements. And they don’t, on their face, show Russian involvement, but what they do show is enormous amounts of capital flowing into these projects from unknown sources and – or at least on paper it says it’s from the Trump Organisation, but it’s hundreds of millions of dollars.

“And these golf courses are just, you know, they’re sinks. They don’t actually make any money.

“So if you’re familiar with Donald Trump’s finances and the litigation over whether he’s really a billionaire, you know, there’s good reason to believe he doesn’t have enough money to do this and that he would have had to have outside financial support for these things.”

Simpson said that he was mostly working off public records. He said: “A lot of what I do is analyse whether things make sense and whether they can be explained. And that didn’t make sense to me, doesn’t make sense to me to this day.”

The Trump golf resorts in Scotland are at Turnberry in Ayrshire and the Menie Estate in Aberdeenshire, while in Ireland there is Trump Doonbeg.

Trump resigned as director of the family’s Scottish and Irish golf courses just before his inauguration as president in January last year.

Well, we're back open for business. I'm worried about DACA. I trust McTurtle about as far as I could throw him and I'm a very weak person. I might have more strength if I were throwing him into a pit of fire.

1 hour ago, GrumpyGran said:

Well, we're back open for business. I'm worried about DACA. I trust McTurtle about as far as I could throw him and I'm a very weak person. I might have more strength if I were throwing him into a pit of fire.

Not sure I'd want to get close enough to him to throw him. Eww. 

I'm not sure how to feel about this. It seems disappointing that there is no mention of DACA. Did the Dems cave?

I don't know if they caved per se, but they definitely blinked first. They have a verbal promise from McConnell to continue talks on DACA, but I'm with @GrumpyGran in that I don't trust McConnell or the GOP all that much.

Democrats have gotten much better, but they're still acting a lot like the new kids trying to hold on to their place at the cool kids' table. Hoping with every compromise that they'll be liked enough to keep their place.

57 minutes ago, AnywhereButHere said:

I don't know if they caved per se, but they definitely blinked first. They have a verbal promise from McConnell to continue talks on DACA, but I'm with @GrumpyGran in that I don't trust McConnell or the GOP all that much.

Democrats have gotten much better, but they're still acting a lot like the new kids trying to hold on to their place at the cool kids' table. Hoping with every compromise that they'll be liked enough to keep their place.

I don't think there was going to be a way to get what they wanted, the longer you let the shut-down go on, the angrier people will get. The Repubs will drive their agenda through on immigration and ignore DACA, which is tragic but the outcome will be a broken promise from Dump regards DACA, so he's a liar. They'll make sure everyone is paying attention when the Repubs break their promise on debating DACA and this will make Lindsey Graham look bad which will piss him off.

AND we've exposed who's really running the WH and that Dump can't stand by his own ideals. So that might be a silver lining if it helps in November. Without a majority, anything progressive on immigrants might be hopeless.

That's a good point @GrumpyGran. Make them look bad, foster the infighting (nice to see that lockstep they had going on for years wavering), and reap the rewards at the midterms. It's a good long game strategy if the Dems can pull it off.

Here's a good summary from Jennifer Rubin: "Ten things that just happened (aside from the government reopening)"

Spoiler

The Senate and the House will vote to end the shutdown and reopen the government. At first blush, it seems as though nothing happened, and that we will be right back in the same place when the new bill’s funding runs out on February 8.

However, ten things did change, some more important than others:

1. As part of the funding bill, Children’s Health Insurance Program, or CHIP, will be reauthorized for six years. Nine million kids won’t be held hostage when the next budget impasse comes around. It is noteworthy that Democrats got that without giving up a substantive trade-off (other than re-opening the government).

2. The promise by Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) to put a bill on the floor to address the DACA issue by Feb. 8 is a head-scratcher. Sen. Charles E. Schumer (D-N.Y.) — the minority leader who is already being pummeled by immigration activists — said: “The process will be neutral and fair to all sides. We expect that a bipartisan bill on [the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program] will receive fair consideration and an up-or-down vote on the floor.” Democrats expect that, and McConnell promised an up-or-down vote (and how could he, really?). But his promise does not and cannot bind the House.

3. Both sides know better than to negotiate with President Trump. Removing him from the equation, thereby diminishing the influence of senior adviser and anti-immigrant hardliner Stephen Miller, should make a deal possible. The great dealmaker has been sent out to pasture (or to Davos, if you prefer). Trump was exposed as a non-player, a hazard to dealmaking. That’s quite a blow to his brand.

4. This is about putting the screws to the House. The Senate, if possible, will pass a bill and then, as they like to say, “jam” the House. The bill and possibly continued funding will then rest with House. Whether House Speaker Paul D. Ryan (R-Wis.) has the nerve to bring a DACA bill to the floor (and actually act on his sympathetic rhetoric!) is a big open question. Making House Republicans the bad guys on this may help Democrats’ chances in the midterm elections, but the path to putting an actual bill on the president’s desk is murky at best. As former Department of Justice spokesman Matthew Miller tweeted, “I don’t think people analyzing the politics of this have considered how bad the situation will be for the GOP if the Senate passes a DACA bill, the House doesn’t, and deportations start in the months before the midterms.” Perhaps.

5. The Democratic base will be very, very angry. If reactions by progressive senators and pro-immigration groups are any sign, they already are. Whether it reopens the Hillary-Bernie divide remains a question. Democrats did not do a good job of managing expectations (or alternatively, according to DACA advocates, they lost nerve). It’s not clear what the lasting damage will be.

6. The ugly face of Republicans’ xenophobic base was revealed. If the Democrats are smart, they will use it to register and turn out voters in places such as Texas.

7. It is unlikely to matter by the midterms. Especially during the Trump era, the sheer volume of news cycles between now and then should make this a distant memory. (If you recall, the GOP staged and lost a government shutdown in 2013, and then won big in 2014.)

8. No one looks good in a shutdown. It will likely to add to the cynicism among voters and drive Congress’s poll numbers even lower.

9. A big question will be how influential the moderates who began to talk during the shutdown will be. If they can come up with a truly bipartisan bill and put it on the floor (they’ll have enough to break a filibuster), something might actually get done — both on this and other issues.

10. Unfortunately, our adversaries got a good look at Trump’s confusion, lack of control and inability to work his way through a mini-crisis. This cannot be comforting for our democratic allies.

6 minutes ago, GreyhoundFan said:

thereby diminishing the influence of senior adviser and anti-immigrant hardliner Stephen Miller,

This is my fondest hope.  From day one, I've thought he was the scariest of the bunch (and that's saying something).

I've been traveling off and on, was there some deal struck on the border wall?  I'll try to find the answer myself, but trumptime goes so quickly I lose track.

Does anybody here live in the PA Congressional distract with the special election? Or know people who are? Hows it going? Do we even have a chance?

1 hour ago, onekidanddone said:

Does anybody here live in the PA Congressional distract with the special election? Or know people who are? Hows it going? Do we even have a chance?

Are you talking about the 18th district, replacing hypocritical Tim Murphy? I don't live there, but know someone who does. She told me it doesn't look too rosy for Conor Lamb, the Democrat, but fewer people seem to be as rabidly Repug as in the past.

• Destiny locked this topic

Archived