IGNORED

Tori Bates - Part 4: Pretty Dresses Hiding Ugly Ideologies

samurai_sarah

And my twin sister and I are so identical that I can't imagine having a sibling who doesn't look like me. :my_rolleyes:

• Replies 622
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just did an Ancestry DNA and was surprised to find out that I seemed to inherit more of my dad’s DNA than my mom’s. My parents are from very different places ethnically, so it was pretty easy to determine where my DNA came from. It then makes sense that different siblings could have different genetic combinations. Example : Josie could have inherited 60% of Kelly’s genes, and 40% of Gil’s; Michael(a) may have inherited 60% of Gil’s, and that’s why they look so different. 

Or I have this whole understanding of genetics entirely wrong :pb_lol:

2 minutes ago, front hugs > duggs said:

I just did an Ancestry DNA and was surprised to find out that I seemed to inherit more of my dad’s DNA than my mom’s. My parents are from very different places ethnically, so it was pretty easy to determine where my DNA came from. It then makes sense that different siblings could have different genetic combinations. Example : Josie could have inherited 60% of Kelly’s genes, and 40% of Gil’s; Michael(a) may have inherited 60% of Gil’s, and that’s why they look so different. 

Or I have this whole understanding of genetics entirely wrong :pb_lol:

Well, you basically inherit half of your DNA from your mother and half from your father. It's not that you're getting 'more' from your dad, but it's like... say your dad is 50% Italian and 50% Jamaican, and your mum is 75% Irish, 15% German and 10% Italian. It's possible that you could inherit ALL of your mother's 'Italian' genes, half of her 'Irish' genes and almost none of her 'German' genes, but from your dad you inherit a pretty even split, so it looks like you're more genetically similar to your dad than your mum.

I probably explained that horribly and I'm sure someone else can do a much better job than I did, but yeah. :pb_lol: It's more obvious with grandparents, because you actually can inherit a fairly substantially different amount of DNA from each other them. Also, these ethnicity tests tend to involve super wide ranges of estimates. For example, AncestryDNA reports that I'm 55% 'Great Britain', but when I click on it, it shows that the estimated range is 29%-83%!

I take after my dad (since he now has a beard I rely on his Marine pic for comparison) and my sister resembles dad's mom more when comparing my grandma's high school picture with hers and my mom. 

Is it bad that I go down a rabbit hole with ancestry stuff? I figured out that I have 19 ancestors in common with the Bateseses. They are mostly on my mom's dad's side with one ancestor on my dad's. My mom's dad has 31 ancestors in common with Kelly's dad. Don't blame me, I was curious.

BTW, I have a very distant relationship with Conway Twitty on my maternal grandfather's side. I know the further back you go you can find very distant relationships with people, but it's still fascinating.

this is a scene from Last weeks episode. they play a shower game of who can name the right price on items like tooth paste oreo's ect.. neither is good at it. anyway the reason I share is because Tori says she never looks at prices well she has to now because Bobby told her she did. so she's just going to send Bobby shopping

http://uptv.com/bringing-up-bates/bringing-up-bates-the-price-is-wrong/

2 hours ago, Ivycoveredtower said:

this is a scene from Last weeks episode. they play a shower game of who can name the right price on items like tooth paste oreo's ect.. neither is good at it. anyway the reason I share is because Tori says she never looks at prices well she has to now because Bobby told her she did. so she's just going to send Bobby shopping

http://uptv.com/bringing-up-bates/bringing-up-bates-the-price-is-wrong/

Can't watch the video just now, but did Tori treally say she never looks at prices? What the hell? It's not like she's too young to remember the pre-TV show days when they were dirt poor and her parents had to borrow money for groceries from their teenage son. If she really forgot what it means to not be able to afford whatever your heart desires, she's really not the sharpest tool in the shed. And if she was just trying to be cutesy... well, it's not cute. Just stupid.

3 minutes ago, JillyO said:

Can't watch the video just now, but did Tori treally say she never looks at prices? What the hell? It's not like she's too young to remember the pre-TV show days when they were dirt poor and her parents had to borrow money for groceries from their teenage son. If she really forgot what it means to not be able to afford whatever your heart desires, she's really not the sharpest tool in the shed. And if she was just trying to be cutesy... well, it's not cute. Just stupid.

this is what she said taking directly from the video. 

I hate shopping, I don't shop very often and typically when I shop I don't look at the prices, well I do now because Bobby said I have too. but before I didn't look at the prices. but I wouldn't have known the prices probably but bobby would have so I'm just going to let him shop. 

this is at the very end of the video. 

I have to say the last couple episodes havent shown Tori in a very good light. The wedding shower episode she was fine in the talking heads but during everything she came across pretty rude and snobby. I had to fast forward through the shower thing because I had so much second hand embarassment for how incredibly rude and disengaged she was from the process and people around her. It was weird.  

4 hours ago, MsSaylor said:

I have to say the last couple episodes havent shown Tori in a very good light. The wedding shower episode she was fine in the talking heads but during everything she came across pretty rude and snobby. I had to fast forward through the shower thing because I had so much second hand embarassment for how incredibly rude and disengaged she was from the process and people around her. It was weird.  

Yeah I haven’t seen the episodes but lots of people commented this on fb on Lilly and Ellie’s blog and on the bub page. People rarely comment bad things on the Bates’ pages as opposed to the Duggars’ so all the comments about Tori stood out to me. 

I watched the episode. I have to say that I understand Tori's awkwardness in the sense that I would also have hated to be the center of attention and to open wedding shower presents in front of everyone. Having said that I do think her behavior was rude. It's not like this came as a shock to her because she knew what a wedding shower would entail. It's not like she is a new fundie who hasn't done this before. Suck it up and deal with it. 

She honestly seems even less interested in the wedding planning than Joy-Anna Duggar Forsyth did. 

On 4/3/2018 at 5:54 PM, Snarfblatt said:

I watched the episode. I have to say that I understand Tori's awkwardness in the sense that I would also have hated to be the center of attention and to open wedding shower presents in front of everyone. Having said that I do think her behavior was rude. It's not like this came as a shock to her because she knew what a wedding shower would entail. It's not like she is a new fundie who hasn't done this before. Suck it up and deal with it. 

She honestly seems even less interested in the wedding planning than Joy-Anna Duggar Forsyth did. 

See this what is the problem for me. Yes, Tori was rude during the shower maybe she should have sucked it up and it really shouldn't be a shock. She knew the shower was coming. But why does she still have to do these things she doesn't want to do? Its not fun watching the wedding planning for someone who doesn't want it. Its not fun watching the wedding cake decision when she didn't care. Why does she have to go through with it? Why can't she have the wedding she wants whether its big, small, or at the courthouse. Its not fun seeing Kelly and her sisters basically ignore that and keep asking her questions when they know she doesn't care and its not what she wants. The shower is a perfect example does it really have to happen? Does Tori even want a shower? Did she have to be on stage with everyone looking at her? Not only does Kelly put her on stage, she then puts her on the spot with questions. Who would do that to their daughter they know doesn't like that or freezes up?   Maybe she would have been more relaxed if she wasn't on stage? She seemed relaxed when she was walking around talking to people. Why not just keep it like that or lowkey? It would be more fun to see Tori planning the wedding she actually wanted whatever that was. They could have done this shower for Carlin who probably would enjoy it even more. Carlin's easily going to be the bridezilla, want big and grand wedding and stuff there's no reason for Tori to have to do it. 

On 4/3/2018 at 2:12 AM, Ivycoveredtower said:

this is what she said taking directly from the video. 

this is at the very end of the video. 

Yeah, I think she was just saying that she didn't have the responsibility in the Bates family of doing the shopping, so she didn't have the opportunity or desire to pay attention to prices before marriage.

1 hour ago, scoutsadie said:

Yeah, I think she was just saying that she didn't have the responsibility in the Bates family of doing the shopping, so she didn't have the opportunity or desire to pay attention to prices before marriage.

I wouldn't be so sure Gil did make her a wedding gift of a money tree because he said she thought money grew on trees. 

2 hours ago, Ivycoveredtower said:

I wouldn't be so sure Gil did make her a wedding gift of a money tree because he said she thought money grew on trees. 

Unfortunately in their idiotic society she was always going to be dependent on a husband. (Or her father if she never married)

You shouldn't call your own children ignorant and sheltered when your the one that forced that upon them. Money might as well grow on trees when all your child has ever been taught is "God will look after you".

Any predictions on when Tori will announce a pregnancy? There should be a bump watch! It's been about four months since the wedding so I suspect it could be a matter of days until we hear something. 

32 minutes ago, stardust said:

Any predictions on when Tori will announce a pregnancy? There should be a bump watch! It's been about four months since the wedding so I suspect it could be a matter of days until we hear something. 

If she is pregnant I don't think she'll announce until after her graduation next month. 

3 hours ago, stardust said:

I think it could be on April 26th which is when the wedding episode airs.

You guys bring up some good points about Tori. 

While, I think Joy Anna appeared totally obnoxious during her wedding planning (it was almost as if she wanted someone to pick the dress for her), Tori was also rude in saying nothing mattered.

The difference is when Tori got to the dress shop she was pretty detailed in what she wanted and stood her ground against both her mother and bestie (Carlin) who did not like her original pick with the champaign under lining.

I knew what Kelly was thinking. Traditionally darker whites/neutral, symbolized women who were either already married or mothers. In this sect, they want everyone to know Tori is wearing pure white because she is "pure".

Anyhow, good for her to choose what she wanted despite adversary. I loved that Alyssa was the one who stood up for her. She sensed early on that Tori wanted the dress and needed the support.

Honestly, Tori and Bobby are one boring couple. I think Bobby is hiding something and Tori does that thing that many intelligent Fundie women do (and in the larger population for that matter). She goes overboard in pretending she knows nothing to the point where she appears ridiculous and idiotic. Hard to watch.

I do think she is deeper than she comes off. Also she is very beautiful, but plays that down too (which is totally okay). I recently noticed that she and Erin almost have the same face. If they were closer in age they'd look like twins. Tori just has the darker features.

Tori posted "student-teacher" prep on her insta stories. I guess that means she is actually working or at least doing some further training? 

(Screenshots under spoiler as I'm not sure on stories protocol) 

Spoiler

Screenshot_20180420-011216.thumb.png.4bd84167618268e280e4dc1480286de5.pngScreenshot_20180420-011222.thumb.png.8edfc6f3013ce1085afc2b5e1feb9de8.pngScreenshot_20180420-011225.thumb.png.cbab3e800c83df044c18c5e64c4f0048.png

9 minutes ago, HideousGreenShirt said:

Tori posted "student-teacher" prep on her insta stories. I guess that means she is actually working or at least doing some further training? 

(Screenshots under spoiler as I'm not sure on stories protocol) 

Hide contents

Screenshot_20180420-011216.thumb.png.4bd84167618268e280e4dc1480286de5.pngScreenshot_20180420-011222.thumb.png.8edfc6f3013ce1085afc2b5e1feb9de8.pngScreenshot_20180420-011225.thumb.png.cbab3e800c83df044c18c5e64c4f0048.png

Yes, she has to do the internship to graduate, but since its crown college im sure they send their education students to aproved christians schools. She also said after she graduates and they move to Nashville that she plans to work in a school too. I wonder if this will change if she is pregnant. 

7 minutes ago, Ivycoveredtower said:

so Tori had a baked potato bar at her wedding that sounds good yummy.. 

http://uptv.com/bringing-up-bates/bringing-up-bates-a-horde-of-hot-potatoes/

Baked potatoes are great- love them. And it is a relatively cheap way to feed lots of people with filling yet delicious (and weather appropriate) food. Great idea in my books!

What struck me about this video was that they genuinely seemed to have no idea how many people would show up for their wedding. Is RSVP-ing not a thing in their circles? When Mr. O and I got married, we knew EXACTLY who was coming and who wasn't. Of course something last-minute can always come up (one friend had to cancel day-of because he got sick), but that should really only be a small minority. And yes, they are working with much larger numbers than usual, but still. Not knowing if 300 or 900 people are going to show up for your wedding seems extremely impractical.

The uncertainty about numbers puts the less formal receptions in perspective, doesn't it?  How earth would you ever plan a plated dinner with such uncertain numbers?  I think the baked potato bar is an excellent choice in the circumstances. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived