IGNORED

Tori Bates - Part 4: Pretty Dresses Hiding Ugly Ideologies

samurai_sarah

On 1/24/2018 at 9:18 AM, Feministe9000 said:

I stopped when he said (keep in mind he is in mid-shout most of the time)
"The Bible says God created Adam & Eve, not Adam & Steve!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" One of their favorite little phrases.

Ugh. These assholes need new schtick. The Adam & Steve thing is tired and boring.

Yawwwwn. 

• Replies 622
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay, so I know a little about this because I've gone to IFB churches. A lot of IFB churches have their own Christian schools. It seems to be what a lot of them are into right now and they're not just for kids that go to their church. They're true private Christian schools. When you see people go to PCC, WCBC, Crown, etc. and they have a teaching degree, often they'll get on at a IFB church affiliated school as a teacher. Tori will have this ability with her degree so in effect it's not a fake degree. She can get a real big girl job here at these types of schools. Now, a lot of men will go to these colleges, get a pastoral type degree because they're wanting to be in career ministry and they'll get on teaching/working as the youth paster, work up to assistant pastor (or take a gig later as an assistant pastor), and then later on take a job at that church or another as the senior pastor.

An assistant pastor/youth pastor can be like a jack of all trades in a IFB church. At the one we attended most recently the assistant dual served as the youth pastor, stood in a ton for the senior pastor, taught at the school alongside his wife (Facebook says they both went to Crown btw), and it wasn't unusual to drive by and see him cutting the grass. At the IFB church prior we went to, the youth/assistant pastor did all the media and handouts, the graphic designs, taught at a church that had a school (ours didn't) alongside his wife, and in lieu of pay lived in a downstairs apartment at the senior pastor's home rent free because the church was small and didn't have a lot of money. 

If Tori works at the Christian school they're probably using something like Abeka but it would be a proper classroom environment and she'd have a real, full-time teaching job. It's not at all unusual for a husband and wife team to begin ministry this way. This is more the IFB route than the IBLP route which seems to be a different dynamic where the women typically stay firmly at home, but the Bates are more transparently mainstream IFB than others I've seen discussed here. Very different from the Andersons' form of IFB, which is worth mentioning. Despite the independent part there is a very firm network of IFB churches. A lot of the leaders are aware of each other and it's possible to network and find jobs based on your background and education like Bobby and Tori have done. 

Judging on the fact that all partners in the Bates‘ kids marriages make an effort to earn money I strongly believe they all know the TV money will stop eventually and no one wants to go back to the days when their parents money was tight.

I also wonder if they stray from IBLP or if Gil and Co are rebuilding it to a more modern appearance? The change in modest, courtship and gender role standards is obvious. If that is what they do, I fear a lot more people will fall for them. They start to represent the pretty and modern yet hyper traditional Christian American dream. From my biased and not well rounded knowledge about how strong the American society seems to drift apart and how much every party seems to radicalise and delineate I can see them gaining power. 

Please note: I haven’t been to the USA in a long time and normally don’t follow American news organs- my impressions lie with what my countries newspapers write and what I pick up in forums (this and others). So I don’t see the full picture  and could very possibly be wrong.

I'm not convinced that Tori will have a real teaching job.  I didn't see the Facebook Live, but based on the blog wording, it sounds more like she'll be volunteering at a school or "helping out" somehow until she has a baby.  Still good for her to get out of the house and all, but I won't believe there's a regular teaching job until I see it. 

• 2 weeks later...

So they finally revived Bobby’s old Instagram account and changed the name to a joint one...

i don’t get why fundies are obsessed with joint accounts, it’s not like Instagram charged per account or something, they each have different phones so they might as well get their own accounts

Oh, goodie. I'll be curious to see if the next Bates couples to marry will do the same thing, or if they'll keep their separate accounts. Carlin & Evan and Josie & Kelton are the first ones who had separate Instagram accounts before their wedding, right?

http://uptv.com/bringing-up-bates/bringing-up-bates-troublesome-tapas/

I cringed all the way through this clip. Bobby takes everyone to a Tapas restaurant in Asheville after proposing to Tori.

Everyone is like "what's tapas???" "this is all in another language!!!"  "I want an AMERICAN steak". I was so embarrassed for them, until the waiter says to Kelly, when she's trying to be funny but just sounds like an idiot when he mentions "Pork cheeks"  asks for "normal food, no weird parts like feet and belly", he said: "Pork is normal honey, spring rolls are normal..." :pb_lol::pb_lol::2wankers:

LOVED IT.
I can't imagine them walking around Asheville, with the hipster bars, musicians, people drinking and having fun. Hilarious!

Bobby "I can see why they put us in the back table now" YEAH Bobby...I know you were making a joke but......yeah...... At least he tried to take them somewhere different from their little bubble for once.... *sigh*

14 hours ago, JillyO said:

Oh, goodie. I'll be curious to see if the next Bates couples to marry will do the same thing, or if they'll keep their separate accounts. Carlin & Evan and Josie & Kelton are the first ones who had separate Instagram accounts before their wedding, right?

I know that John and Alyssa have separate accounts.

5 hours ago, Feministe9000 said:

http://uptv.com/bringing-up-bates/bringing-up-bates-troublesome-tapas/

I cringed all the way through this clip. Bobby takes everyone to a Tapas restaurant in Asheville after proposing to Tori.

Everyone is like "what's tapas???" "this is all in another language!!!"  "I want an AMERICAN steak". I was so embarrassed for them, until the waiter says to Kelly, when she's trying to be funny but just sounds like an idiot when he mentions "Pork cheeks"  asks for "normal food, no weird parts like feet and belly", he said: "Pork is normal honey, spring rolls are normal..." :pb_lol::pb_lol::2wankers:

LOVED IT.
I can't imagine them walking around Asheville, with the hipster bars, musicians, people drinking and having fun. Hilarious!

Bobby "I can see why they put us in the back table now" YEAH Bobby...I know you were making a joke but......yeah...... At least he tried to take them somewhere different from their little bubble for once.... *sigh*

Seriously, Gil doesn’t know what arugula is? I thought Bobby’s dad looked embarrassed at one point. 

They acted like idiots.

58 minutes ago, ColeJo said:

I know that John and Alyssa have separate accounts.

That's why I said "before the wedding." The Bateses used to have a rule that unmarried (adult) kids couldn't have any social media. With the notable exception of Lawson, of course, who needed it for his "career" (or so Kelly said at the time). Then those restrictions were loosened over time, to the point where even underage Katie has an account these days (even though it's private). Anyway, all of the currently married couples did not have individual Instagram accounts before the wedding (unless I am mistaken), so that's why I'm curious to see if the next couples to marry - likely Carlin/Evan and Josie/Kelton - will each keep their separate accounts or if they will use a shared account after the wedding. My guess would be separate accounts.

18 hours ago, llg1234 said:

What a weird post, lol

Bobby’s jacket is a big fashion no.

3 hours ago, TeaELSee said:

Seriously, Gil doesn’t know what arugula is? I thought Bobby’s dad looked embarrassed at one point. 

They acted like idiots.

Bobby’s mom was kind of annoying too. It was just the way she said “I thought you he was going to lift the flowers and the ring would go flying.” I don’t know, it just annoyed me.

5 hours ago, TeaELSee said:

They acted like idiots.

I had no idea what Argula was, but then google showed me it's what we call Rocket!

I get so much second hand embarrassment when I see someone being that disrespectful when trying other culture's food. I give small kids a pass the first time but grown ass adults? Hell no.

And they declare themselves "hillbillies"!-- true hillbillies know their way around a hog, and have heard the term "pork belly" before.

Keep in mind that the Bates have actual college degrees from an actual accredited college [although not one that requires any foreign language for admission or graduation-- I just checked]. It doesn't seem to have nutured their openness or critical thinking skills.

I love that she was flummoxed by "patatas bravas"-- which is pretty much the least intimidating thing on a tapas menu-- the freaking fried potato wedges.

Kelly, speaking as a fellow mountain gal from west of Asheville, get your ignorant ass together.

10 hours ago, HereticHick said:

Kelly didn't want pork belly? Where the f**k does she think bacon comes from?

Yes, but are the Batesesess pig-eating fundies? Or do they eat that turkey bacon crap like the Duggars? Not that it matters, I guess. Sure would've hated to miss out on the pork belly myself. But I am a mere pants-wearing heathen, so what do I know?

5 minutes ago, Pandora Spocks said:

Yes, but are the Batesesess pig-eating fundies? Or do they eat that turkey bacon crap like the Duggars? Not that it matters, I guess. Sure would've hated to miss out on the pork belly myself. But I am a mere pants-wearing heathen, so what do I know?

I read somewhere that they didn't eat pork because of the potential of foodbourne illnesses and parasites. That was especially a concern of Kelly's when she was pregnant. 

I am not familiar with Asheville (or Tennessee for that matter) but it looks like a really neat town. Is it a suburb of Knoxville?

And they declare themselves "hillbillies"!

HAIL NAW! They ain't done it! They are an insult to hillbillies!

11 hours ago, HereticHick said:

Kelly didn't want pork belly? Where the f**k does she think bacon comes from?

Here bacon is a different cut to American bacon. So once again,my Australianism made me confused. (American's at work tell me what we call bacon you call pork, but then couldn't explain what the equivalent of pork is leaving me more confused!)

Have these people mysteriously moved overseas or something? Next thing they'll be shocked beef comes from cows and the sky is blue!

3 hours ago, TeaELSee said:

I am not familiar with Asheville (or Tennessee for that matter) but it looks like a really neat town. Is it a suburb of Knoxville?

Asheville is in North Carolina...about 100 miles SE of Knoxville TN.  It is beautiful there.  I've wanted to move to the area for the last 25 years, but life prevented me from doing so.  I still have the dream though.  :)  

8 hours ago, TeaELSee said:

It’s in North Carolina and is just gorgeous. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived