IGNORED

Tori Bates - Part 4: Pretty Dresses Hiding Ugly Ideologies

samurai_sarah

1 hour ago, QuiverDance said:

It’s in North Carolina and is just gorgeous. 

It is and I haven't been there in years.  Really would like to go back there again.

• Replies 622
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2/11/2018 at 10:51 PM, TeaELSee said:

I am not familiar with Asheville (or Tennessee for that matter) but it looks like a really neat town. Is it a suburb of Knoxville?

It is it's own city in a different part of the state outside the Great Smoky Mountains, I think it's actually bigger than Knoxville. It's a bit of a college town and more liberal than most of the state, kind of like the Austin of North Carolina. Hence stuff like tapas restaurants. They're lucky they didn't end up in some vegan raw restaurant, could've been an even more interesting episode.

Eta: I was wrong about Knoxville (186k) being larger than Asheville (89k). I think it felt that way to me because in Asheville you see a lot more people walking around the streets, lots of tourists. Knoxville felt so empty to me.

I have lived in TN for 15 years now, and I do enjoy living in Nashville, but the recent growth has changed it and gentrified in a few vomit worthy respects.  I always dislike visiting Knoxville.  It does not have a great vibe. I absolutely LOVE Chattanooga though. It reminds me a little bit of Asheville. So much there to do. Memphis isn’t my favorite, just because I prefer the mountains. I don’t go to West TN often. 

10 hours ago, JillyO said:

Holy exclamation points batman!

I am so guilty of this!  And overusing the word really!!

Wow I forget how young these couples are. I don't care that they're 23 and married, I was married with kids at that age. But I also realize I'm not the norm. I always forget that these newer couples like carlin/Evan and Josie/Kelton are so young - 23 and younger. 

On 2/12/2018 at 3:19 PM, QuiverDance said:

My DH and I would love to live there someday. 

All y'all and everybody else. I'm from Asheville and moved away several months ago because I couldn't afford it anymore-- so many people from wealthier parts of the country selling their houses for 6-7 figures and moving down has sent the housing market into the stratosphere and the labor market into the sewer. It's hard to get by when most professional jobs don't pay more than $35-45k a year and a 2 bedroom apartment is upwards of $1200/month. Most of the people my age (early thirties) who still live there either lucked into housing via their families, are independently wealthy, or live with multiple other people and have several side hustles instead of or in addition to regular work. It's a lovely area, but I don't know that I would recommend living there. Part of me wants to save up for a downpayment and move back, and part of me is like ehhhh, is it worth the effort/pay cut I would inevitably have to take? 

Oh, I should have finished my thought and added but probably won’t because it has become even more expensive than Nashville.  We have had a similar influx, and it suuuuuuucks. 

On 2/17/2018 at 6:47 PM, JesusCampSongs said:

All y'all and everybody else. I'm from Asheville and moved away several months ago because I couldn't afford it anymore-- so many people from wealthier parts of the country selling their houses for 6-7 figures and moving down has sent the housing market into the stratosphere and the labor market into the sewer. It's hard to get by when most professional jobs don't pay more than $35-45k a year and a 2 bedroom apartment is upwards of $1200/month. Most of the people my age (early thirties) who still live there either lucked into housing via their families, are independently wealthy, or live with multiple other people and have several side hustles instead of or in addition to regular work. It's a lovely area, but I don't know that I would recommend living there. Part of me wants to save up for a downpayment and move back, and part of me is like ehhhh, is it worth the effort/pay cut I would inevitably have to take? 

Dagnabbit.  Asheville was on our someday-list as well.  But this doesn't sound promising.  I even had my fantasy house picked out--I'm sure it would still be available when I am ready to retire!

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/5-Westchester-Dr_Asheville_NC_28803_M53005-83521#photo24

On 2/15/2018 at 5:55 AM, QuiverDance said:

I have lived in TN for 15 years now, and I do enjoy living in Nashville, but the recent growth has changed it and gentrified in a few vomit worthy respects.  I always dislike visiting Knoxville.  It does not have a great vibe. I absolutely LOVE Chattanooga though. It reminds me a little bit of Asheville. So much there to do. Memphis isn’t my favorite, just because I prefer the mountains. I don’t go to West TN often. 

During our travels DH and I have frequently traveled through Nashville and Chattanooga on the way to see relatives in Florida.  Really like Chattanooga and a couple of years ago we decided to stay there a few days and check it out.  Agree there's a lot to do there.   Also what I loved:  bbq.   Finally visited Sugar's Ribs on Missionary Ridge.  Totally awesome!

ETA:  @JesusCampSongs rather sorry to hear that you had to move out of Asheville.  I have heard similar stories of people leaving places that they loved living in, even were born and raised in that place, and have to leave because they can't afford it anymore. 

• 1 month later...

A very superficial question: is it just me thinking Tori is actually the most beautiful out of the Bates’ daughters?

6 minutes ago, just_ordinary said:

A very superficial question: is it just me thinking Tori is actually the most beautiful out of the Bates’ daughters?

i mean they are all nice looking women/girls but I think Alyssa or Josie are prettier. 

I think the Bates girls are all gorgeous. Like not a bad genetic makeup in the bunch. Its probably about which one's look you prefer.  

They're all beautiful, but from a geeky perspective I find the genetic variation amongst all the siblings absolutely fascinating. That's part of what's interesting about these huge families, seeing how similar or different ~20 siblings look.

5 hours ago, singsingsing said:

They're all beautiful, but from a geeky perspective I find the genetic variation amongst all the siblings absolutely fascinating. That's part of what's interesting about these huge families, seeing how similar or different ~20 siblings look.

yes, I find it fascinating too how different siblings can look and what array of faces is possible with only 2 people creating offspring. of the 19 Duggar siblings only 2-3 at a time really look alike (e.g. Josh and Johannah), but they could more pass for cousins more than for siblings most of the time. Same with the Bates.

I actually see groupings in the Bates. Like there is an Alyssa, Josie look.  And a Michael, Addallee look.  I don't think Josie and Michael look anything alike. 

I have only only 1 sibling and we couldn't look more different. My mom was sometimes asked if we had the same father. Would be interesting to see the differences in appearance if there were 19 of us. My parents look nothing alike so there could have been a lot of variety I imagine. 

14 hours ago, justmy2cents said:

I have only only 1 sibling and we couldn't look more different. My mom was sometimes asked if we had the same father. Would be interesting to see the differences in appearance if there were 19 of us. My parents look nothing alike so there could have been a lot of variety I imagine. 

How can people be so rude? What a personal and potentially hurtful question to ask someone. Like what if you did have different fathers, but there was trauma surrounding it, like a bad relationship with one of them for your mom or sibling? I am constantly astounded by people who can NOT mind their own business or think 2 seconds ahead of themselves. 

22 hours ago, singsingsing said:

I am the same. It’s so fascinating. Me and my two siblings look so alike people have asked if my brother is my twin (he’s 3ish years younger, also not quite how it works for fraternal twins but w/e). It makes me wonder if my parents had more, or if they had had 19, how far the variations would stretch and when would they start appearing in the sibling timeline. It’s very cool, except for the fact that women...shouldn’t be forced to have 19 kids by their religious zealot husbands. Oh well

I agree with the interest of genetics with these huge families. Like none of my siblings and I look alike (we resemble one another like cousins a little bit?).  With my twin we are just complete opposites in everything btu especially looks which people are very prepexled when I tell them.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived