IGNORED

Totally Subjective Bates Wedding Dress Rundown

freethemall

11 hours ago, VBOY9977 said:

Josie has a Pinterest account (user jpbates99)...so maybe she’ll pin some wedding inspo and we’ll have an idea of what she’ll go for. I think she’ll have the best Bates dress, she has a great style. 

She already has a photo of a nursery pinned to her Decor board, so that answers that.

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 1

• 4 weeks later...

I have a friend who did black and red for his wedding. I wasn't able to go, but the pictures look nice. They obviously have a very different style than the Bates though

wedding.jpg

• Upvote 3
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, rainbowbabycakes said:

I have a friend who did black and red for his wedding. I wasn't able to go, but the pictures look nice. They obviously have a very different style than the Bates though

wedding.jpg

Was her wedding sponsored by Hot Topic in 2005? 

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 7
  • Love 3

• 1 month later...

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.4c4c1a52174dd5086bc791d4986c7a05.png

new dream dress (#2) idea for Josie (the one I've posted several times before with the asymmetric skirt still my fave but this is a close second lol)

Edited by ihaveanexamintwodays
  • Love 2

I'm loving your friend's Helena inspired wedding. If I somehow had gotten married as a teenager I would have totally done something like that. 

• Upvote 1
  • Love 2

Well, with the vowel renewal Whitney just moved right up to the top.

It will be interesting to see if this starts a new trend for those couples who had to wear more modest gowns than they might have wanted to (Alyssa for example). Tori seems to be the first with a still modest but modern gown and I don’t think she would feel the need to relive her wedding.

8 hours ago, just_ordinary said:

It will be interesting to see if this starts a new trend for those couples who had to wear more modest gowns than they might have wanted to (Alyssa for example). Tori seems to be the first with a still modest but modern gown and I don’t think she would feel the need to relive her wedding.

I hope they wait at least until 10 years of marriage. A 4 and a half vow reneval is just absurd.

14 hours ago, just_ordinary said:

5 hours ago, llucie said:

I hope they wait at least until 10 years of marriage. A 4 and a half vow reneval is just absurd.

Yeah a ~5y renewal is kind of silly, though I'll admit Whit and Zach have seem to grown a lot as a couple and are in a totally different place than when they first married (you know, the kind of stable adult place in life that *most* people get to before marriage, period....) lol. And the stuff with her parents, whatever it may be. The only people I know personally who have done a 5y "renewal" had a small, quick, family-only affair for various reasons & so for the 5th anniversary did the whole party shebang. 

Of the early weddings, Whitney is the only one I can see wanting to "relive" it. Alyssa mayyyyybe, even though she claims the Malibu-Barbie bright colors were "what she'd always dreamed of" I could see her doing a more subdued vow renewal if she and John ever settle down between children. But Erin really did seem to love her modest monstrosity t-shirt dress, Michael I think also loved her dress/decorations/etc, and Tori did have a big modern wedding. I bet we'll see Josie and Carlin in a bit more fun-modest dresses, though.

• Upvote 4

• 4 weeks later...

Is Josie the first Bates bride to not wear a veil? She had the flower crown and loose hair, and ditched the veil.  I think all the other Bates daughters and sons' brides went with some sort of veil, and all the Duggars/Duggar brides had veils as well (please correct me if I'm wrong.)

It's an interesting and original choice. I like it.  Too bad the heat wilted the flower crown early.

• Upvote 3

According to Duggardata this is a first time for Bates/Duggar bride.

Glad she decided to have something different and unique in her circle. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

It was the best wedding by far, i just wished the bouquets were a bit smaller. even the leaf crown doesnt look that bad in the majority of the photos (in a few it looks too big too). The rest looks fantastic, best dress (even with the weird front), best venue, best dresses bridesmaids(in my opinion, i know some people dont like them. Personally the only one i dont like is alyssas).

• Upvote 4

I'm keeping my ranking of Tori's being the best dress, because I hate the execution of Josie's, the weird modesty alterations ruined it for me. I guess Josie's is second only because I hate all the other dresses. Not counting Whitney's vow renewal dress in my ranking. It was beautiful but I'm only counting first weddings.

Moving on to Carlin - I'm counting on sleeves, bling, glamour, and dramatic makeup. I'm betting she'll be having a winter wedding, would love to see a fur stole. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

As annoying as carlin is, I would like to see a winter wonderland, fur cape look from her. I could actually see it being beautiful. I am partial to leaf crowns. I am bummed Joy Duggar didn't get to do that. It would have suited her so much more as would an outdoor wedding. 

• Upvote 5

• 3 months later...
On 7/19/2018 at 9:08 PM, rainbowbabycakes said:

wedding.jpg

Not gonna lie, I adore this. 
If it makes them happy, so be it!

On 10/15/2018 at 3:39 PM, Pecansforeveryone said:

As annoying as carlin is, I would like to see a winter wonderland, fur cape look from her. I could actually see it being beautiful. I am partial to leaf crowns. I am bummed Joy Duggar didn't get to do that. It would have suited her so much more as would an outdoor wedding. 

Agreed. Joy's dress was pretty but it didn't strike me as...."her".

For Joy.....outdoor wedding, lighter, more simple flowy country dress with a little boho feel, and of course....matching cowboy boots for her and Austin. 

• Upvote 4

On 9/7/2018 at 7:15 AM, just_ordinary said:

will be interesting to see if this starts a new trend for those couples who had to wear more modest gowns than they might have wanted to (Alyssa for example)

Alyssa's dress wasn't modest in my opinion. It was so tight she couldn't breath haha. Plus the hot pink high heels. 

It is interesting the different definitions of modesty. I follow some modest style bloggers and each falls somewhere slightly differnet_for some it's about exposing certain parts of the body, for some it's about not appearing flashy, for some it's no makeup, for some it's about not appearing sexy .

I find it quite interesting that as a short busty person a lot of what they consider modest outfits would just be "BOOBS" . Like a one piece swimsuit is totally out_i need a bikini with full on underwired bra support which is a lot more modest than a one piece with no support for me. I find it interesting but then it gets problematic when they try to impose their standards on others! 

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, byzant said:

It is interesting the different definitions of modesty. I follow some modest style bloggers and each falls somewhere slightly differnet_for some it's about exposing certain parts of the body, for some it's about not appearing flashy, for some it's no makeup, for some it's about not appearing sexy .

I find it quite interesting that as a short busty person a lot of what they consider modest outfits would just be "BOOBS" . Like a one piece swimsuit is totally out_i need a bikini with full on underwired bra support which is a lot more modest than a one piece with no support for me. I find it interesting but then it gets problematic when they try to impose their standards on others! 

I think being a busty fundie will be hell anyway.

It is a lot more difficult to dress modest with large boobs since a lot of clothing that might look modest on others will just accentuate your boobs. I guess you can only wear very oversized clothing then.

• Upvote 6

• 3 months later...

Guess it’s time to bump this thread :)

for me, the order goes:

1. Whitney renewal

2. Tori

3. Carlin

4. Josie

5. Alyssa/Whitney original (I cant decide, they’re both boring to me, and Alyssa’s had some funky modesty alters that were not great, but they both looked good and they’re slightly more interesting than the next two)

6. Erin

7. Michael 

• Thank You 2

Time to update my list. New contenders in bold letters

bride

1. Whitney II  - knocked it out of the park. She looked absolutely gorgeous. I would love to know her workout routine and skin/hair care.

2. Carlin - very pretty but also pretty standard. She took no risks and got rewarded. Her photos will definitely look better/more Pinterest than Josie’s. 

3. Alyssa- not the current style but still pretty enough. The straps are ok but the flower should go. Sympathy points as for me she strayed way more away from her parents rules at that time than her younger sisters do now (because they have relaxed a ton).

4. Tori- love the idea but to many things went wrong to be number one: the fit, the lace looked patchy at the arms, the champagne made a harsh contrast to the clear white. I think it is great that she choose a popular style that doesn’t need modesty alterations- so no holier than though sign here. Absolutely love the hair and veil though. In my superficial opinion she really is the prettiest Bates‘ daughter.

5. Josie  - nice idea but the execution was poorly. The modest bodice and the flower crown drowned her, the lighter hair colour washed her out. The skirt was the best part. Pinterest fail I say.

3. Whitney- clearly outdated today, her style was popular then. Like the bolero instead of modesty alterations.

4. Erin + Michael- Erin’s modesty alterations look like a shirt sewed into the dress. Michael‘s dress was only second choice for her which makes me sad. The other one looked nicer and she clearly preferred it. Her alterations were awful too. The fabric folder on her chest really look like an Arielle shell bra. Erin’s dress is still worse but her hair makes up for it while Michael‘s hair was a mess.

Bridesmaids

1. Carlin - nice colour and different styles but look fantastic together and alone. But oh so many bridesmaids...

2. Josie- Blush pink but very different styles. The colour since a few years and I do love it too.

3. Whitney II - THE bridesmaid dress in 2017/2018 (and prom, and maternity shoot and probably more occasions)

4. Tori- very nice dresses. Not my colour but whatever. 

5. Michael- while I could never wear so many lacy layers the women looked gorgeous.

6. Whitney+ Erin+ Alyssa- the seem to have a very generic (and not flattering) cut. Like sewed in a rush from old fabric. Neither colours are my taste, too.

Colour scheme 

1. Carlin- like the different pastels and that she didn’t make everything about one or two colours. Feels relaxed if I make sense (who would have thought the “bridezilla” would actually be less dramatic).

2. Josie and Whitney II- I like blush pink and the mix with white and lots of green.

3. Michael- maybe a bit beige but nice.

4. Tori- no fan of the dark purple and white mix. Very 2000 to me but it was executed all right.

5. Erin- baby blue is a classic, still no fan. Too cutesy for me.

6. Whitney and Alyssa- both colour schemes are very striking. The black could have been interesting but the mix with red took it down. Also there were no other black things iirc. The Malibu pink and blue is hurting the eyes but it was very Alyssa at that time.

• Upvote 3

1. Erin -It's a classically modest dress and she had by far the most tasteful wedding of this 'era' in Duggar/Bates weddings IMHO.
2. Tori -Love it, it's elegant and beautiful and I actually think I loved her wedding the best of anyone. I loved the purple, it was perfect for winter.
3. Carlin -I feel like next time this thread comes up, she could end up taking my top spot just because it's such a great balance of 'mature' and 'princess-y' which seems impossible to strike.
4. Michael -another classically modest dress and something far more formfitting than what she would usually wear. Yes, the alterations left something to be desired and in that I find it super amusing that if anything they drew the attention straight to her boobs.
5. Alyssa -Basic AF and I just can't with the bridesmaid dresses and neon pink heels.
6. Josie -Not nearly as pretty as I expected her to pick and I just can't with the veil. I liked the dress a lot better when I saw it on Carlin in Lawson's music video.
7. Whitney -Poor firstborns. Glad she got a do-over.

• Upvote 1

My opinion:

1. Josie - I liked the dress, though I liked it better before it was Ms. Renee'd. 

2. Whitney II - I liked her wedding dress as much for the style as I did for the fact you know Kelly Jo and Gil were not crazy about it. 

3. Tori - Her dress was beautiful. I hated the trees that were smacking everyone though. 

4. Michaela - I would have marked her higher, but the flower girl and matron of honor dresses were horrendous. 

5./6. Erin/Carlin - It was a tie for me here. I'm not a fan of the princess look. Erin gets credit for the better looking bridesmaids dresses and Carlin gets credit for not using a huge veil. 

7. Alyssa - It was like Barbie's 1980's dream wedding with the shoes and flowers, etc.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

Updating mine, and overall Carlin takes the cake (hah, but not one badly frosted by Kelly) for best wedding. Loved her hair, dress, colors, outdoor venue, flowers, etc. The Bates wedding clearly just keep getting better and better as they get larger budgets and more modern, like with outdoor venues and less of the Frankenstein modesty dress disasters.

1. Carlin 

2. Tori

3/4. Josie/Alyssa tie

5. Erin

6. Whitney

7. Michael

(I don't count Whitney's renewal, only actual weddings)

• Upvote 3

• 1 year later...

Bates weddings, Bates weddings, coming right up! ihaveanexamintwodays is pinterest binging (again) lol. Just dropping in to say that I hope Katie or Esther or whoever is the next bride is breaks the Bates trend of floral-boho-rustic vibes and gives us some fun! 

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 1