IGNORED

Babies By the Bushel: Upcoming Babies 9

Bethella

Apparently, it's such a common mispelling(relatively speaking) that it's now an accepted variation.  His first name is nice and normal enough. Having an unusual second name will be the least of his problems.

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, teachergirl said:

It appears that some point recently, Katie Valenti Bradrick had her  fourth.  Her sister Molly Valenti had an IG story with pictures and she was holding 4....Philip and Katie have been married 10 years I believe so definite spacing...

And another former royalty VF couple that seems to have ditched QF. Not sure of course how their stance on other theological subjects is today, but I'd really LOVE to find out more about them. Katie (and her sisters) always fascinated me, because they are so beautiful IMHO.

Damn. I still want that documentary where former VF couples share about their life after the fall.

So I've been tentatively discussing the future with my bf (marriage, kids etc. etc.) and we've realised we do not like the same names for the most part. My top names (Ada, Martha, Vera, Hazel for girls. Joseph, Lawrence, Douglas, Harrison for boys) are mostly hated by him. (Joseph is ultra important family name for me, he hates it. Douglas is also a family name, but that's just accident. He likes Lawrence - I even ran that one by Mum who said it was fine :pb_lol:)

My question, then, is how on earth do these couples find 15-20 names they like well enough (both of them) to agree on? Especially with a theme!? Is this more of the patriarchy where the father decides or is it a maternal thing since it's to do with babies? Does anyone know? Or is it just the best of a bad bunch of options? (And sometimes the worst of the bad bunch of options...)

I frankly don't think I'd have the time or energy to care about baby #12's name in quite the same way as baby #1, haha. 

I think it's how we get so many bad fundie names. They argue about it until one just says, "if we can't agree, we will just call her Heistheway!" "Fine!"

I would have thought it would be easier to come up so many names. But there's tons of names that I love. I could easily name six daughters and six sons just by using my top six picks. That's why it surprises me how these couples don't really do that.  Or make a list or do anything. They know their going to have six to ten kids and don't have names ready to go? Or think well I like Hannah and Sarah. I'll save Sarah for my next daughter.   

6 hours ago, victoriasponge said:

My question, then, is how on earth do these couples find 15-20 names they like well enough (both of them) to agree on? Especially with a theme!? Is this more of the patriarchy where the father decides or is it a maternal thing since it's to do with babies? Does anyone know? Or is it just the best of a bad bunch of options? (And sometimes the worst of the bad bunch of options...)

Baby fatigue. After the first 3, especially if you know that you're "leaving it up to God" and could have 10+ more, you don't invest the same level of intense discussion for the youngest as you did for the eldest. Naming themes actually make coming up with a name easier since you severely limit the available options. Plus, laziness is less obvious in theme name groups since the overall impact masks less-than-stellar individual efforts.

I'm sure that there are exceptions, but evidence of give-no-fucks naming is all over Fundyland. The Corrals (friends of the Maxwells) recently gave their newborn 7th daughter the same middle name as their 2nd. The Duggars intentionally picked their first three kids' names, and only committed to the hard "J" theme when Jill came along, allowing them to set baby naming on cruise control. Even with that, the kids themselves were allowed to name the last few babies, if memory serves. Zoo Anderson names her kids whatever she wants these days because PP apparently ceased to care after the first. The Arndts went full-recovering Catholic with their naming scheme for the first crop of boys, and used every conventionally pronounceable biblical name, plus hyphenated DOUBLE middle names. Very quickly, they had to start recycling middle names into first names for younger kids, then ultimately re-used just about every name at least twice. Only Wizzy was spared.

Even people that have a modest number of children just don't seem to get as wrapped up in naming the second as they did the first. I guess a lot of people (particularly women, I suspect) spend years thinking of "the perfect name", and they usually saddle it on their first kid. Subsequent children are seen as individuals rather than extensions of their parents' childhood imaginations, and they may get a less prescribed name as a result. Plus, if the parents came to regret an overly creative or contrived initial choice, they may course-correct with the second. 

I think you can often tell which children were born at the beginning compared to the end due to name trendiness and popularity. Like with the Willis family. Jessica was still popular in the early 90s when their oldest was born. But their youngest that was born in the 2000s is Jada. Which wasn't popular at all in the early 90s and most likely wouldn't have been considered. 

The names I like tend to change over time. I think you can see this with the middle names of the Duggars. Brooklyn wasn't trendy or popular at all in the late 80s when the Duggars started having kids. 

I don't know if she's worth putting on the master list, but today in unintentionally funny baby names, Norma Gilligan's sister-in-law Chelsie is 37 weeks with a baby whom she plans on naming Nolan Christopher Gilligan.

I think it’s just the parents’ personalities. I know small to large families where the names are carefully chosen (based on meaning, family significance, etc.) and small to large families where the names seem like an afterthought or based on trend. I agonize over names and need them to be picked out before we find out the sex. One of my close friends, with many children, takes weeks after birth to choose a name. I always love their picks. 

You are probably planning on updating the list soon but I'm just throwing in a reminder for Cassidy (Bowers) Bontrager due with her first in mid July like her sister. 

It's interesting that two sets of fundie sisters that got married in 2017 are all due with their first babies in July (Washburn sisters). 

20 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

You are probably planning on updating the list soon but I'm just throwing in a reminder for Cassidy (Bowers) Bontrager due with her first in mid July like her sister. 

It's interesting that two sets of fundie sisters that got married in 2017 are all due with their first babies in July (Washburn sisters). 

Actually, I hadn't realized just how long it had been since I had updated. :doh:

Things have been pretty crazy in real life the last couple of weeks. I think I got everything but if anyone sees something I missed, please let me know.

Not recent, but if you're keeping track, Prentiss Kendall Allen's 4th (born late 2016 and the youngest grandchild in the 2017 Christmas photo I found) is a girl. Forgot to mention that. No clue on name.

On 2/9/2018 at 2:37 AM, JermajestyDuggar said:

I think it's how we get so many bad fundie names. They argue about it until one just says, "if we can't agree, we will just call her Heistheway!" "Fine!"

I have always wondered: how do they pronounce that name?

Do they just say 'He is the way' very quickly or is it more something like HEIST-away?

2 hours ago, CarrotCake said:

Do they just say 'He is the way' very quickly or is it more something like HEIST-away?

It's pronounced Hi-stha-way.

2 hours ago, CarrotCake said:

More likely, "Hey, you!" with the requisite finger pointing.

Katelyn Whalquist posted Philip's birth story on her blog and it's something of a nightmare. She thought she was going into labor but it turned out she had a bad case of the flu.  She was hospitalized for a week to treat her high fever and then was induced. The flu killed so many people this year... Her midwife who sent her twice to the ER may have saved her life. 

The Wahlquists' blog has Phillip's middle name spelled three different ways: Barzallai (in the post title), Barillai (at the end of the post), and Barzillia (in the side bar). The original version from the bible seems to be yet another variant Barzillai, although the first variant Barzallai seems to have been used historically as well. It's driving me nuts. 

I feel like the parents of Heistheway learned their lesson because she was their first and all the rest have more normal names. I'm thinking Jessa might be in the same boat. I think she's going to keep the weird names for the middle names from now on. So her next son will be something like Theodore Tozer Seewald instead of Tozer Theodore Seewald. 

2 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I feel like the parents of Heistheway learned their lesson because she was their first and all the rest have more normal names. I'm thinking Jessa might be in the same boat. I think she's going to keep the weird names for the middle names from now on. So her next son will be something like Theodore Tozer Seewald instead of Tozer Theodore Seewald. 

I just can't see this name without thinking "tosser."

10 hours ago, Bethella said:

The Wahlquists' blog has Phillip's middle name spelled three different ways: Barzallai (in the post title), Barillai (at the end of the post), and Barzillia (in the side bar). The original version from the bible seems to be yet another variant Barzillai, although the first variant Barzallai seems to have been used historically as well. It's driving me nuts. 

Wahlquist family announced Phillip Barzillai, born on 01-28-2018...... I think that Phillip's mother is very very tired after flu and VBaC.....

7 hours ago, Hortense Peyrac said:

Wahlquist family announced Phillip Barzillai, born on 01-28-2018...... I think that Phillip's mother is very very tired after flu and VBaC.....

Thanks, I forgot that they had a blog too.

I'm just glad it's the poor baby's middle name. Imagine if being his first name and no one could ever spell it right! Even your close family members! 

• Bethella locked and unpinned this topic

Archived