IGNORED

Dillards 47: Tweeting Twit

samurai_sarah

11 minutes ago, front hugs > duggs said:

I nearly broke up with my now (English) husband over this language barrier! :pb_lol:

My English husband pronounces "twat" so that it rhymes with "hat." To me, "twat" rhymes with hot. haha

And our Brit friends use the C-word like salt-on-popcorn. Yet they fucking SWOON when I say "crap." I thought my SIL was going to DIE when I said "crap" in front of my nephews. 

• Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

My English husband pronounces "twat" so that it rhymes with "hat." To me, "twat" rhymes with hot. haha

And our Brit friends use the C-word like salt-on-popcorn. Yet they fucking SWOON when I say "crap." I thought my SIL was going to DIE when I said "crap" in front of my nephews. 

British people often insist Americans are mispronouncing it by saying it like "twot." :pb_lol:

I studied abroad in New Zealand and was pretty startled by how much they used the c-word there too.

11 minutes ago, Rachel333 said:

British people often insist Americans are mispronouncing it by saying it like "twot." :pb_lol:

I studied abroad in New Zealand and was pretty startled by how much they used the c-word there too.

I hate how much my friends Irish husband uses the c word.  And his absolute refusal to accept that is is a horribly insulting and offensive word here.  To be fair, I'm not a huge fan of him anyway, but this doesn't help.

19 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

When I say "twat" it rhymes with "hot" too. I've never heard anyone say it differently.

I did have a Scottish friend remark online once that Americans say it wrong, but I feel like I say it the same way he does. Maybe those were the people he was referring too. 

Just wanted to chime in to echo my disappointment in JK Rowling. There are no words to describe how surprised and uncomfortable I am with this. I still have a sliver of hope that she's trapped by legal obligations and wouldn't want this if it were up to her (which is an odd thing to hope for, I admit).

However, domestic abuse aside (ugh I hate that I'm even saying that), I have to disagree with the idea that Johnny Depp was bad for the role. Yeah, he has massive star power, but I think it echos the choice to cast Helena Bonham Carter as Bellatrix. Those two are/were so well-established in all things mainstream-creepy-and-slightly-sexy. In my opinion, we don't know enough about Grindelwald as a character to say whether Johnny Depp is a good personality fit or not.

All of that said, I'd prefer one of the Skarsgard brothers or Michael Fassbender for the role.

7 minutes ago, justoneoftwo said:

I hate how much my friends Irish husband uses the c word.  And his absolute refusal to accept that is is a horribly insulting and offensive word here.  To be fair, I'm not a huge fan of him anyway, but this doesn't help.

Yeah, even if someone doesn't mean it to be misogynistic, the word's origin is still as a vulgar term for female genitals.

1 minute ago, Rachel333 said:

Yeah, even if someone doesn't mean it to be misogynistic, the word's origin is still as a vulgar term for female genitals.

Also, if I tell you its horribly misogynistic in this culture, than you should probably think that its not a great thing to keep saying, because people will think you are using it the way their culture does.  At least think about if your being horribly insulting to the people you are talking to.  Is you desire to say it more important than how they feel?  Also I will forever judge you for using it as a term for a child after being told what it implies to the people you are talking to.  

16 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

Oh weird, twat rhymes with hat for me... any other Canadians want to chime in?

Yup that's how I say it too.

5 hours ago, Carm_88 said:

I really don't think that JB married Jill off for ratings, I think that Jill loves Derick. Does he feel the same way about her? I have no idea, but I think it would be hard to love someone as much as he apparently loves himself. Narcissists don't have a whole lot of love to spread around.  

There is no nice way to put this, so I won't try.

I did not know ugly people could be narcissistic too.  

5 hours ago, Fjrocks said:

Just wanted to compliment @ViolaSebastian for being so classy. 

And for the record...the butthurt discussion broke out a couple years ago.   Buffy said genuinely thoughtful things like she always did. :( Happy Athiest was so riled she wrote an uncharacteristically long post and Curious finally went through all 79 definitions (literally) of butthurt and concluded it was okay to use on FJ.  I am not aware of any change in this stance since.

I remember that discussion too. Then and now are also the only two times I've every seen anyone think it was a slur.

"Twat" rhymes with "hot" for me too. Also cot and caught are pronounced differently for me, as are "Mary" and "marry"

23 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

sounds about right from the Canadians I know. 

Can't say Pasta right either (even though, you SHOULD considering it's an Italian word). Or Mazda, or Nissan...lol (I listen to Canadian radio, so I hear this things a lot)

25 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

Yes! Mine does with an East Coast accent to boot.:handsex:

4 minutes ago, karen77 said:

sounds about right from the Canadians I know. 

Can't say Pasta right either (even though, you SHOULD considering it's an Italian word). Or Mazda, or Nissan...lol (I listen to Canadian radio, so I hear this things a lot)

Oh, I actually say pasta the non-Canadian way (PAW-stuh vs. PAH-stuh). Not sure about Mazda (MAHz-duh) or Nissan (NEE-sawn). I live right next to the U.S. so we have been infected with some of their pronunciations. :pb_lol: Although actually, the part of the U.S. I live next to might say 'PAH-stuh'. Huh.

Yeah, I don't think JB intentionally married his daughters off for ratings in a cold, calculated press move. If anything, I think the show might have postponed their marriages. They were living well, easily supporting 19 kids, everyone had enough to eat. If they didn't have a show, and they were struggling to feed their kids, maybe a few would have married sooner, either to escape their impoverished conditions or because there were too many mouths to feed. I also don't think they rushed engagements for the show. I think they rushed engagements because fathers fastidiously police their daughter's sexuality in this cult, and JB wouldn't want to risk anyone's "purity" (gag). Basically, I still think JB is still gross, but for different reasons.

55 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

Twat rhymes with hat for me! I definitely say Pass-ta! Again though, I am never someone to use as an example. The Newfoundland accent is strong. 

10 minutes ago, Carm_88 said:

Twat rhymes with hat for me! I definitely say Pass-ta! Again though, I am never someone to use as an example. The Newfoundland accent is strong. 

Jonny Harris is the first Newfoundland accent I've ever heard (that I know of). It's such a charming accent!

Canadian here. Twat is closer to hot for me than hat. I've always thought of the a as having an aw sound "twawwt."

As for slurs relating to female genitalia, I don't generally advocate for them, but in the case of this patriarchal transphobic Dillhole, I support it. I imagine that being referred to as female genitalia would be far more uncomfortable for him than being called a dick.

Speaking of dick, my friends and I have taken to saying dink instead. It sounds disappointing and rhymes with stink.

I actually made a deal with one of my BILs before my baby was born. He could swear as much as he wants around her, but he isn’t allowed to use swears or make jokes or comments that are:

- sexist

- racist

- derogatory in any way towards any demographic

In return, I agreed not to melt the skin off his face with my righteous indignation and wrath. I find it sad I had to offer this deal at all, but it is what it is and at least I lessen the chance of my baby growing up to think that language or humor is acceptable. 

44 minutes ago, Carm_88 said:

I love Newfoundland accents. I never lost mine even though I've been living away for over a decade. 

Are you from Newfoundland? I don't mean to pry. 

1 minute ago, Sky with diamonds said:

I love Newfoundland accents. I never lost mine even though I've been living away for over a decade. 

Are you from Newfoundland? I don't mean to pry. 

Haha yeah I am! :) Born and raised in one of it's many bays. Still here too! 

My grandparents are from the east coast of Quebec. They grew up 15 minutes away from each other and have completely different accents. Weird and wonderful place.

1 minute ago, Carm_88 said:

Haha yeah I am! :) Born and raised in one of it's many bays. Still here too! 

Wow! Small world. I'm from da boot! Wishing I was back there.  Someday hopefully, because it's been way too long.

Nice to "meet" you so to speak. This has made my day :my_blush:

1 minute ago, Sky with diamonds said:

Wow! Small world. I'm from da boot! Wishing I was back there.  Someday hopefully, because it's been way too long.

Nice to "meet" you so to speak. This has made my day :my_blush:

We're everywhere especially when it comes to having an opinion. ;) Nice to meet you as well! 

• samurai_sarah pinned, unpinned and locked this topic

Archived