IGNORED

Dillards 47: Tweeting Twit

samurai_sarah

• Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Didn’t he go on a big rant about Santa last Christmas? I swear, he seems more and more unhinged as time goes on. 

7 hours ago, luv2laugh said:

We can’t forget Derick’s mother’s battle with cancer around their wedding. It seems it took a major toll on him.

I feel bad for hm for losing his father and his mother's illness. Sometimes and usually Derick makes it very hard to like him. All that Bible thumping, quoting he does, his fake missionary trips, his begging for money, judgement of Jazz...he for sure isn't the Derick I had hopes for when he and Jill were courting. 

34 minutes ago, Dandruff said:

Santa's over Canada with a big lump of coal for somebody.

I will add more coal to it and my name LOL. 

1 hour ago, MiddleAgedLady said:

Now I can really tell that Derick is trolling us. He doesn’t believe in Santa. 

Are you scared of Santa Derick? :pb_lol:

Israel and Samuel really aren't here for Derick's bs. I'm not sure I understand the benefit of reading the bible to small children. Wouldn't picture books or even a children's book do a much better of getting the story across?

29 minutes ago, llg1234 said:

Israel and Samuel really aren't here for Derick's bs. I'm not sure I understand the benefit of reading the bible to small children. Wouldn't picture books or even a children's book do a much better of getting the story across?

The cover looks like a little golden book...With that said, while I read bible story and board books to my son as a toddler, we always read the Christmas story from the Bible

2 hours ago, Dandruff said:

Santa's over Canada with a big lump of coal for somebody.

Maybe Santa will throw it at him instead of leaving it in his stocking.

3 hours ago, SassyPants said:

What church sponsored them as missionaries?

Based on what qualifications?

He's another lying liar who lies!

I think he said Cross Point did but for some reason I remember the church denying it. Like all their church did was pray for them. 

Someone at PTC V did extensive research into any possible connections between the SBC, Cross Church in particular, and SOS Ministries. There is no connection. IF they were commissioned, it was not by Derelict's home church. He did admit later that they were essentially prayed for in that stage ceremony before they left. But no, Cross Church did not sponsor/commission the Dullards' sojurn in Danger America. 

I feel like Derick is so awkward with Israel and Samuel in the video she posted.  I also feel like Jill missed the mark again with the third picture in particular- Israel looks like he's in the middle of a sneeze (poor kid)!  However, I love how appalled Samuel looks in said photo; I'm tempted to make it my avatar. 

His body language and behavior are off in that snippet.  Why wouldn't he have his arm around Samuel, the baby? Why so stressed in the face? Why so stiff with one's own children?  

Happily, Israel and Samuel seem to have a pretty strong bond developing.  They're going to need that kind of insider support for their home life. Super cute youngsters and Samuel's ability to focus was solid. Always wonderful to see children surpass their parents. 

We have a children's book that uses Luke 2:1-20 as its text. (I recognized that Derick was reading from that chapter.) I find the language used in the KJV beautiful, but I would never expect my kids to understand the meaning at ages 4 and 2 1/2, which was how old the were when we were given the book. So, they look at the beautiful illustrations while I read the same verses, but in an easier to understand translation. I copied the verses from an NIrV bible and I keep the pages in the book. (Picture of the book cover under the spoiler.)

Spoiler

20171225_021407.thumb.jpg.bd69414b30086442b302acdf2c6010cc.jpg

So, Derick, it's time to step up your game. Always hold your baby tighter than your Bible and next year read to your kids from a book with pictures!

10 hours ago, grandmadugger said:

I think he said Cross Point did but for some reason I remember the church denying it. Like all their church did was pray for them. 

Most exact recollection as well. Yep, he's a lair.

Thou shall not lie, Derrick- remember that one??????

poor Sam he’s just propped up on the couch not even engaged in the activity.  Not that he would get what is going on, but he looks like a prop or an afterthought. 

I give Derick some credit for reading to them.  This is the Duggar family, after all.  I also think it looks a little weird that he's not holding the baby, but the baby isn't trying to get away.

I have been blocked by Derick on twitter. Can I have a special title for this badge of honor? I never said anything hateful. I just backed up what I had to say with the Bible.

Can I get a special title for this? "Blocked by Dillard for quoiting  scripture"?

22 hours ago, Sky with diamonds said:

I feel bad for hm for losing his father and his mother's illness. Sometimes and usually Derick makes it very hard to like him. All that Bible thumping, quoting he does, his fake missionary trips, his begging for money, judgement of Jazz...he for sure isn't the Derick I had hopes for when he and Jill were courting. 

I feel less and less bad for him as time goes on. If he were a bit crabby or hardened due to his experiences, that would be one thing. But nearly losing my dad to cancer didn't make me racist, sexist, or homophobic. The bereavement counselors at the hospital didn't say "oh, and be sure to be a discriminatory fundamentalist fuckhead, it's part of the healing process" to Derick. He's responsible for who he is, not Jill, or his mom (who herself is about as pleasant as a scrotal wart), or his dead dad, or anything or anyone else. You can't keep blaming your life circumstances for your dickery. 

And looking back on what we thought he was back in 2014, BoJack Horseman had some wise words: "when you look at someone through rose-colored glasses, all the red flags just look like flags". 

11 hours ago, SassyPants said:

Most exact recollection as well. Yep, he's a lair.

Thou shall not lie, Derrick- remember that one??????

Maybe he thinks he just dressed it up and didn’t lie. The man didn’t realize he was on TLC after all. 

This is gonna be long and I know I’m probably gonna get downvoted for this, but I think all the speculation of Derek being unhinged and having an anger problem because of his tweets is ridiculous. I get it, most of us don’t agree with his beliefs, and the way he expresses can be off putting, but that doesn’t necessarily mean he’s automatically a hateful person. It’s not like any of us know him personally, so he could technically be horrible for all we know, but I don’t think his public behavior indicates that.

I’m a feminist, prochoice, atheist, so I’m pretty far from fundie, but I used to be a Christian and had very conservative views, and I live in Arkansas, which is filled with conservatives, so I feel like I have a pretty good idea of why Derek (and the rest of them) do/believe the things they do, so it’s hard for me to jump to the conclusion that they’re all just hateful and have a superiority complex and that’s why their way is the right way.

The Duggars and other fundies/really devout conservative Christians really believe that there is only one right way to live, and the alternative to that is being separated from all things good and burning in hell for all eternity. When thinking of it that way, it makes sense why people like that don’t have a live and let live attitude. I find missionaries pretty annoying, but I’m sure Jill and Derek really think they’re saving souls by trying to convert people. If you really believed that you had the God given truth about life and how to avoid hell, it would seem almost evil to not spread it and ‘save’ other people if you could.

Like I don’t think Derek sat in front of his computer and plotted how he was going to be evil that day and piss off the liberals by saying that being trans isn’t natural. I’m sure he thinks he’s just spreading the truth, and the truth is the truth regardless of whether or not people like it or think it’s hateful. To me, it doesn’t seem like he’s gotten angrier. If anything, it seems like he’s just passionate about his beliefs and doesn’t care how anyone feels about it.

Lots of non fundies have a lot of the same beliefs as the Duggars, and maybe living in Arkansas has desensitized me, but I just don’t find Derek’s or any of their beliefs shocking at all. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t agree with any of the stuff they believe becoming law, and I don’t agree with Derek’s political choices, but that’s part of life. There will always be people fighting for political things you don’t believe in on both sides. I’m sure they think Liberals are basically sending everyone to hell, which is why they have to spread their message and fill their quivers with god arrows or whatever. Tweeting at Derek (or any fundie) calling him hateful isn’t gonna change his beliefs. In their eyes you’re all just brainwashed by the devil and liberal media and unknowingly trying to drag everyone else to hell with you.

I’m not saying everyone should become Duggar fans and applaud them for trying to evangelize everyone or even like them, but it seems like many people use their beliefs as a reason to not view them objectively and I don’t think that helps either. People calling them hateful bigots, insulting their appearance and lifestyle isn’t going to make them suddenly not be fundie. Just like them telling the rest of the world they’re going to hell isn’t going to make people suddenly want to be fundie.

5 minutes ago, 0Kidsandnotcounting said:

I’m not saying everyone should become Duggar fans and applaud them for trying to evangelize everyone or even like them, but it seems like many people use their beliefs as a reason to not view them objectively and I don’t think that helps either. People calling them hateful bigots, insulting their appearance and lifestyle isn’t going to make them suddenly not be fundie. Just like them telling the rest of the world they’re going to hell isn’t going to make people suddenly want to be fundie.

They are hateful bigots and Derick happens to be a hateful bigot who is a public figure. He deserves all the backlash that he gets. Should people make fun of him for his appearance? No. They should, however, question his beliefs and call him out on them. Just because it's normal for Arkansas, doesn't make it right. Derick may not sit down and think "Oh this is evil." However, any adult with a dust of sense wouldn't attack a teen. 

I choose to call him hateful because he is. I don't say that his outer appearance is ugly, but his insides sure are. I don't care that he thinks that he is a special persecuted snowflake; I think that he is just an asshole. Whether he has always been an asshole is up for interpretation. He's sure enjoying showing it right now. I can't change Derick Dillard's beliefs, only he can do that. I will, however, call a spade a spade; he's an asshole. 

@0Kidsandnotcounting I agree with you in general, just not specifically about Derick. I think the things you said apply to most of the Duggars pretty well - many of them don't strike me as hateful or angry people at all, just very ardent believers. They all (or at least most) believe exactly the same things as Derick, but Derick comes across as angry and bitter. It's not just his beliefs, it's the way he expresses them. Derick is either completely socially inept and doesn't understand how he's coming across, or he enjoys provoking people because he's a bitter asshole with an inferiority complex, or he's full of anger and has very few outlets so he lashes out on social media. I think he must realize by now how distasteful people find him, so it's probably some combination of the last two.

I'm not saying Derek is an angel or anything, or that he has good social skills. I think if he wants to convert people he could do it more effectively in other ways. I guess what I'm saying is, I don't think he's any more or less of an ass than he was when he first appeared on the show. 

And I'm not saying what's normal in Arkansas is normal for everywhere, but I know calling someone a bigot usually just makes them block out whatever else you're saying and, if anything, makes them feel like persecuted christians. Not that people should treat them like sensitive babies, but no progress is going to be made if no one tries to see things from others perspective and just throw insults. it confirms their beliefs that the world is evil, and probably intensifies their need to try to convert people and legislate their ridiculous laws. 

While I appreciate posters who play Devil’s Advocate from time to time, Dericks behavior is very off and not normal in any context. I know the other Duggars have similar beliefs (I dont think they all have the exact same beliefs on every issue), none of them are showing their ass on twitter the way he is. There is something going on with Derick beyond their shitty beliefs. 

1 hour ago, nastyhobbitses said:

I feel less and less bad for him as time goes on. If he were a bit crabby or hardened due to his experiences, that would be one thing. But nearly losing my dad to cancer didn't make me racist, sexist, or homophobic. The bereavement counselors at the hospital didn't say "oh, and be sure to be a discriminatory fundamentalist fuckhead, it's part of the healing process" to Derick. He's responsible for who he is, not Jill, or his mom (who herself is about as pleasant as a scrotal wart), or his dead dad, or anything or anyone else. You can't keep blaming your life circumstances for your dickery. 

And looking back on what we thought he was back in 2014, BoJack Horseman had some wise words: "when you look at someone through rose-colored glasses, all the red flags just look like flags". 

Exactly this. 

I don't condone Derick. I have very little sympathy for him. He has it pretty cushy compared to so many others out there.

• samurai_sarah pinned, unpinned and locked this topic

Archived