IGNORED

Dillards 47: Tweeting Twit

samurai_sarah

This post irritates me more than most because:

1. I hate that some of these people are getting easy access to English classes through being evangelized to.

2. They definitely can't tell the difference between Arab & Muslim. I doubt they can for the different types of headcoverings

3. I especially hate that Derick/Jill pose themselves as 'friends' with these people, when Derick supports and posts the most disgusting Islamaphobia (and is generally incapable of understanding any issue if 'Murica isn't at the center of)

4. The blatant tokenizing of brown people & people from other cultures/religions has to fucking stop! Ugh. 

Can we please send the rescue ferrets to help these people escape from the clutches of D-wreck? 

• Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, ViolaSebastian said:

About five years ago, a pair of LDS missionaries rang my doorbell and, like a fool, I answered it.

And woe to the missionaries who rang my doorbell.   I was recruiting for door to door salespersons at the time, so they always got MY recruitment message and MY business card.   They left.....confused.

If they're students then they'll go through the ESL program at the University of Arkansas, which is considered a really good program. I know a lot of people who work there and the director at least, who is quite a character herself (In a good way! I thin FJers would really like her), would absolutely not stand for any proselytizing.

(I did notice though that there's a new hire who is a conservative Christian herself, a former homeschooler and mission kid, and just two degrees of connection from the Duggars at most, but I think I'd trust her to be professional and not proselytize at work.)

Some of the common host families are very religious and it's considered okay to take host students to church as part of a cultural immersion, but I don't think the director would allow any serious proselytizing from the host families.

Now if the women mentioned in the Dillards' letter are not students but maybe wives of students then those meetings really might be their best chance at learning English for free, which is a fairly manipulative tactic.

I always liked talking to LDS missionaries, though I know I disappointed them by never getting baptized. There was one set of sister missionaries who I talked with and challenged a few things they were saying while keeping the conversation friendly. They told me they were pretty sure I knew more about the church than they did, and they hugged me before we left.

Finally read the whole "family update". I just said "Oh, FUCK YOU!" out loud. Do they both have some kind of compulsion where if they see anyone whose skin tone is darker than vanilla ice cream, they have to harass them and try to manipulate them? 

And how fucking shitty is this fucking ministry that preys on the loneliness, insecurity, language/cultural barriers to making friends, and homesickness of international students and their spouses? And the fucking gall of Derick and Jill to be parading these Muslim women around like Diversity Pokemon when they both voted for a man who wants these women and their families to be banned from this country, and who constantly denigrates them and their cultures. Fuck you, Derick and Jill. Is your nose piercing so you can't smell what a piece of shit you are? 

I wonder if they target Muslims because Jesus is a prophet in the Quran. I kind of doubt this. They would have to read the Quran to learn this. 

After reading the update I realized one thing about myself....I need to stop using exclamation points so often. It drove me crazy how often they were used. I’m going to go back and count them. 

Edited: 8 out of 33 sentences. 

Also so I ran it through a readability website and it reads for a 8 to 9th grade level. 

https://datayze.com/readability-analyzer.php

Derick commented on the Instagram post Jill made about the blog update that they own a copy of the Quran.

I really don’t think that’s true... and if it is I doubt they’ve actually taken the time to read it 

If the Dillards were just sharing culture with these students, that would be one thing. If they were open and honest about their own religion and could discuss this religion in an adult manner, that would be great. However, Derick doesn't like anyone's opinions but his own. Therefore, I don't think that there's any manner of friendship or banter here. 

11 hours ago, singsingsing said:

Fundies in a nutshell. They don't worship Jesus Christ, they don't worship God, they worship their own cult and American exceptionalism.

IMO, The Duggar Cult worships Jim Bob. Gil's family might have worshipped Gothard, but the Duggars give all their focus to JB.

"We own a copy of the Quran" is like, "I've been in school or employed for the past 24 years." So what? 

I'm sure they own a copy, which they never read except when dramatically whisking it off the shelf in the middle of an argument so they can say "oh well it says here that uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh terrorism is good."

19 minutes ago, nickelodeon said:

I'm sure they own a copy, which they never read except when dramatically whisking it off the shelf in the middle of an argument so they can say "oh well it says here that uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh terrorism is good."

I don't think any books on their shelves get read very often. 

1) I highly doubt Jill knows the difference between head coverings. 

2) That entire newsletter is disgusting and sounds so white savior-y. Leave brown people alone, Dillards. 

3) Jill should not be involved in teaching anyone English considering the way she speaks herself. 

4)How are they even talking these people into coming? Are they all having a laugh together about it afterwards? I can't seen the appeal.

Why are they celebrating Christmas today instead of on the actual day? Maybe they do a small Dillard Christmas today, then go to the TTH for actual Christmas?

So, do the Dillards ever go to mosque?Do they ever sit in on jummah prayer and listen to the lecture? Do they ever listen to what Islam means to the people they're trying to convert? Do they know anything about why we fast for Ramadan, eat halal, or go to Hajj? Do they know we don't worship Prophet Mohammed and we all worship the same God? I'm guessing no to all of these. These two don't give two shits about these or any Muslims nor do they respect any faith that isn't their own. They probably don't even realize how much the two religions share, because neither have bothered to crack open that Qur'an.

Just leave the ummah alone, Dillards.

You know what, I wonder what the Dillards think of me being a Muslim and whiter than them? Could they possibly handle it or would their small minds explode from the shock?

@Imagine20 That's too much to expect from them, they wouldn't bother. Btw, Assalammu alaikum!

@Imagine20 and @The Roman from Ipanema. It's not just Muslims, it's Catholics and protestants who don't believe exactly how they do. If that makes you feel any better. I recently got to talk to the former presiding bishop of the Episcopal church. A woman, yay. Mr. Wolf commented that he is skeptical about some parts of the bible, such as Jesus walking on water. She said that it's good to have doubts, because it makes you think. Diametrically opposed to the Duggar beliefs.

19 hours ago, Destiny said:

Honest question: I was under the impression that Arab was a bit of a pejorative. Not a terrible one, but not the correct nomenclature. Is this accurate?

It's fine if the person is actually Arab, and not one of many other cultures but you're just fitting one term to everyone. It'd be more appropriate to say Syrian, Albanian, Iraqi, etc. I work in adult ESOL and would never put a whole bunch of students under an umbrella like that, you shouldn't work with international students if you have so little cultural sensitivity. It's clear from their post how they're targeting student of a particular background and it's just so inappropriate that I. Just. Can't.

7 hours ago, DarkAnts said:

I wonder if they target Muslims because Jesus is a prophet in the Quran. I kind of doubt this. They would have to read the Quran to learn this. 

I suspect they'd target anyone who dresses in a manner which suggests to them not-Christian, and looks polite enough to listen to their crap for awhile.

I'm the sort of person who is uber-polite, even when it's to my own detriment. About five years ago, a pair of LDS missionaries rang my doorbell and, like a fool, I answered it. A full-on half hour conversation about the LDS faith ensued, and I just could not bring myself to tell them to scram. It was terrible, but in the end I'd told them they could send me a Book of Mormon. Then (and now) I have less than zero interest in joining the LDS Church, but I'm sure if you asked those missionaries I was "open to the gospel" or what have you. I imagine the pressure to seem kind and polite is increased by being a visitor from another country and wanting to respect (real or perceived) culture norms. 

At the store yesterday, there was an earnest white man preaching the gospel to his hostage, uh, potential convert. She could not have gotten a word in edgewise and apparently was too polite to just walk away from him, which is what I would do.

4 hours ago, singsingsing said:

"We own a copy of the Quran" is like, "I've been in school or employed for the past 24 years." So what? 

See, I translate it as similar to "I have a friend who's black." Or, " one of our lawyers is Jewish. " ( That last one was an all time low and was actually debunked).

You all have said it much better then me, but I would tell their dear “friends” to run. I know that learning English is important, but the price of being around Jilly muffin or any fundamental is too much. If the women they saw were really wearing a Burka I’m going to eat my shoe. These people are so tone deaf I have no idea how they have any followers that are not Snark watching. I hope they come off as inept in person so that these people can realize they are not an appropriate model of an average American citizen. I also bet that they haven’t even cracked open that Quran and it was probably a gift from one of their poor victims.

43 minutes ago, JMO said:

See, I translate it as similar to "I have a friend who's black." Or, " one of our lawyers is Jewish. " ( That last one was an all time low and was actually debunked).

Assuming you're talking about Kayla Moore, it was actually, "One of our lawyers is a Jew." :pb_confused:

• samurai_sarah pinned, unpinned and locked this topic

Archived