IGNORED

Joy and Austin 17: Staying Off the Internet

Coconut Flan

I'll give an example to explain what I'm trying to say. I think there is a difference between Christians that attend Bob Jones University vs. Wheaton College. For example, the IBLP crowd, if they were to attend a college, would go to Bob Jones whereas, the mainstream Christians I know are aiming to go to Wheaton College. I think that Jinger and Jill would fit in easily amongst the Wheaton College crowd vs. the Bob Jones students. Prior to their marriages, they would've fit in with the Bob Jones students. Is what I am saying making sense?

• Replies 605
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The IBLP crowd would NOT go to Bob Jones.  They don't go to Bob Jones. And are basing this on anything other than wardrobe?

3 minutes ago, luv2laugh said:

I'll give an example to explain what I'm trying to say. I think there is a difference between Christians that attend Bob Jones University vs. Wheaton College. For example, the IBLP crowd, if they were to attend a college, would go to Bob Jones whereas, the mainstream Christians I know are aiming to go to Wheaton College. I think that Jinger and Jill would fit in easily amongst the Wheaton College crowd vs. the Bob Jones students. Prior to their marriages, they would've fit in with the Bob Jones students. Is what I am saying making sense?

Just now, luv2laugh said:

I'll give an example to explain what I'm trying to say. I think there is a difference between Christians that attend Bob Jones University vs. Wheaton College. For example, the IBLP crowd, if they were to attend a college, would go to Bob Jones whereas, the mainstream Christians I know are aiming to go to Wheaton College. I think that Jinger and Jill would fit in easily amongst the Wheaton College crowd vs. the Bob Jones students. Is what I am saying making sense?

I think you mean mainstream evangelical Christians. You won't find very many Methodists, ELCA Lutherans, Presbyterian Church USA or Catholics applying to Wheaton, either. And I do think that Jinger and Jeremy are leaning more toward mainstream evangelicalism. I also think that many FJers have no idea how many evangelicals there are around them who have the same basic beliefs about social issues as the Duggars, but the women go to work and the kids go to school. With you and your kids. Their beliefs about hot button social issues are not some underground extremist stuff. As unfortunate as that is, it is the truth. 

1 minute ago, louisa05 said:

I think you mean mainstream evangelical Christians. You won't find very many Methodists, ELCA Lutherans, Presbyterian Church USA or Catholics applying to Wheaton, either. And I do think that Jinger and Jeremy are leaning more toward mainstream evangelicalism. I also think that many FJers have no idea how many evangelicals there are around them who have the same basic beliefs about social issues as the Duggars, but the women go to work and the kids go to school. With you and your kids. Their beliefs about hot button social issues are not some underground extremist stuff. As unfortunate as that is, it is the truth. 

Yep, you worded what I'm trying to say better than I did.

3 minutes ago, nelliebelle1197 said:

The IBLP crowd would NOT go to Bob Jones.  And are basing this on anything other than wardrobe?

I personally know of an IBLP family that sent all their kids to Bob Jones and Pensacola Christian college. I'm basing it off their evolving wardrobe and types of things I've seen on their instagram.

30 minutes ago, Rachel333 said:

I remember other people objecting, but it felt like we were definitely in the minority at the time.

Even now I feel no sympathy for Josh as a person but I still don't think there's a good reason for that kind of weight-based snark.

I found the Josh fat shaming vile because what he looks like in any sense doesn't fucking matter.  It never will.  What mattered was what he did and who he is and focusing on something so trivial and superficial as if it's a factor in making him the monster that he is minimized the seriousness of the offenses being discussed at that time.

And it's stupid.  Why do people care about the looks of people they have no desire to sleep with? What's the point?

(btw both questions were rhetorical, please don't try to explain this crap to me.)

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived