IGNORED

Peter Popoff and Miracle Spring Water

PopRox

So, I'm home from work today with a stomach virus and watching 'Law & Order' (as you do), and during a commercial break there was an ad about "miracle spring water." It started with a Bible verse (3 John 2) about how God wants us to prosper and be in health, followed by "testimonies" of people who saying that they started drinking the stuff and they stopped/smoking/got a job/magically received a lot of money.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNVfwqjEHLM

So I was like "what the heck, this is hilariously weird,I have to look this up." Found out it's being peddled by a guy named Peter Popoff, a proclaimed televangelist/faith healer/prophet with a looooooong rap sheet of sketchy grifter behavior. Wikipedia has a good summary: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Popoff

Google also turned up a GQ article called "Peter Popoff, the Born- Again Scoundrel." (https://www.gq.com/story/peter-popoff-born-again-scoundrel It's a long read, but interesting--and it links to an e-book that someone wrote about her experiences with him. Anyone want to follow me down the rabbit hole (please bring Pepto-Bismol)? Got a feeling it's a deep one...

image.png

Oh, my, Peter Popoff!  I'm old enough that I remember when this scandal happened (from Wikipedia):  After an electronics expert demonstrated in 1986 that his "divine" revelations were being fed to him by his wife via a wireless radio transmitter

As I recall, it was learned that other evangelists used this same technique to lighten the wallets of their adoring masses.  I bet his miracle water works wonders for reconstituting the freeze-dried contents of Jim Bakker's buckets o'doom.  These guys...

:shakehead:

(Hope you feel better soon!)

I may or may not have gone on a YouTube Popoff binge or two , including the many exposes(and an Opie and Anthony episode).   And I hate to bring race into it, but I notice many of his followers are African American.

Feel better soon, @PopRox.  Stomach viruses suck.

39 minutes ago, CTRLZero said:

After an electronics expert demonstrated in 1986 that his "divine" revelations were being fed to him by his wife via a wireless radio transmitter

I'm old.  I thought that was James Randi.  He debunked Uri Geller and others too.  Peter Popoff is the second up in this series of clips but the Uri one is worth watching too.

Popoff is my favorite example of a totally fake, conscienceless, televangelist.  I'm still  shocked that he is back with Miracle Water this time.  I don't understand why he can't be shut down.

And feel better soon @PopRox.

• 1 month later...

I know that it is a scam but I want some of that miraculous "healing" water. I want to see what is in it. I remember seeing that commercial around 2011. Popoff never gives up does he? Like the Energizer Bunny but full of fakery and fraud.

I'm looking for a Miracle Man
That tells me no lies
I'm looking for a Miracle Man
Who's not in disguise
I don't know where he'll come from
And I don't know where he's been
But it's not our Jimmy Sinner
Because he's so obscene

Miracle Man got busted
Miracle Man got busted

Today I saw a Miracle Man
On TV cryin'
Such a hypocritical man
Born again, dying

He don't know where he's going
But we know just where he's been
'Twas our little Jimmy Sinner
That I saw on the screen

Miracle Man got busted
Miracle Man got busted
Miracle Man got busted
Miracle Man

A Devil with a crucifix
Brimstone and fire
He needs another carnal fix
To take him higher and higher
Now Jimmy, he got busted
With his pants down
Repent ye wretched sinner
Self righteous clown

Sums up my feelings about people like Popoff, Duggars and Jimmy Swaggart. Ozzy Osbourne hit the nail on the head.

I found out what's in the miracle spring water, Poland Spring water. I didn't have to order some.

• 10 months later...

And while I was watching Christmas Vacation this evening....lookie what came on. 

Popoff1.thumb.JPG.cc489ee1514dc8bb7d1163e3e11c39ea.JPG

Popoff2.thumb.JPG.c46213fe96ac611984d9665cb102c381.JPG

Of course I had to come right here to share this - I figured someone on FJ would have heard of him before.

And question.  Does his peter popoff?

Archived