IGNORED

RIP Jim Nabors

47of74

RIP Jim Nabors

Jim Nabors, the comic actor best known for his years playing Gomer Pyle, one of TV's most lovable goofs, has died at the age of 87. Nabors' husband, Stan Cadwallader, confirmed to The Associated Press that the actor and singer died at home in Honolulu.

"Everybody knows he was a wonderful man. And that's all we can say about him," Cadwallader told the news service. "He's going to be dearly missed."

Virtually since the moment Nabors joined the cast of The Andy Griffith Show in the early 1960s, the actor and his classic character became indelibly entwined. A sweet-natured klutz with a stable of catchphrases — "Gollllll-ly" and "shazam!" best-remembered among them — Nabors' gas station attendant quickly became a favorite with viewers.

And not long after joining the show, Nabors parlayed that performance into another hit comedy, a 1964 spinoff in which Pyle bumbles his way into the Marine Corps. Called Gomer Pyle, U.S.M.C. — and weekly featuring the friction between Pyle and his no-nonsense drill sergeant — the show lasted five seasons, most of which were spent as one of television's most popular programs.

Whenever I think of Jim Nabors, I think about that episode of the Andy Griffith Show where Gomer Pyle had a blind date with Thelma Lou's cousin Mary Grace.

Andy, Barney, and Gomer all go over to Thelma Lou's house to pick up Thelma Lou, Helen, and Mary Grace to go to a dance. They all sit down for a minute, and then Gomer excuses himself and runs out the front door. Mary Grace is embarrassed that Gomer has run out on her, and so she tells the others she has a headache, and to please go to the dance without her. Shortly after the others leave, Gomer shows back up. He said he noticed that Helen and Thelma Lou both had corsages, and he didn't want Mary Grace to feel left out, so he had run out to buy her a corsage too. The dance was too far away for them to walk to, so they decide to just stay at Thelma Lou's house.

The others are upset over what happened, and they decide to come home early. When they get to the front door of Thelma Lou's house, they hear loud music. They open the door, and this is what they see:

@Cartmann99, I was thinking of that episode with Mary Grace Canfield the other day when I heard that Jim had died.  I think that's one of the very best of the episodes with Gomer in it.  I love how Gomer walked further to get to a florist with flowers that would complement Mary Grace's dress.*

Jim and his partner of 40 years Stan Cadwallader flew to Seattle to get married pretty much the moment that Washington State had marriage equality.  I love that and I love that they got to see the whole US get marriage equality.  

*Or her eyes.  I can't remember offhand exactly what it was.

46 minutes ago, PennySycamore said:

@Cartmann99, I was thinking of that episode with Mary Grace Canfield the other day when I heard that Jim had died.  I think that's one of the very best of the episodes with Gomer in it.  I love how Gomer walked further to get to a florist with flowers that would complement Mary Grace's dress.*

Jim and his partner of 40 years Stan Cadwallader flew to Seattle to get married pretty much the moment that Washington State had marriage equality.  I love that and I love that they got to see the whole US get marriage equality.  

*Or her eyes.  I can't remember offhand exactly what it was.

It was her dress. I watched the episode again to refresh my memory. :pb_smile: 

On a sad note, I had forgotten how cruel Barney was about Mary Grace's appearance. 

Jim reminded me a lot of my uncle who farmed with my Grandpa.  He had a similar bearing and appearance to Jim.   

I used to watch Gomer Pyle when I was a kid, it was always such a fun show.  He also had such a fantastic singing voice.  I was kind of surprised when he came out of the closet, as the term was then.  But I'm glad he was able to be himself and live an honest and open life with the person he wanted to be with - I didn't realize that they had actually gotten married, but I am glad that they did.

Archived