IGNORED

Miss Raquel's 2nd Novel- Part 6: Wielder of Words

samurai_sarah

Sigh.  Poor poor Xaqurie.   (sorry it was the subject of the thread that was in reminded me)

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@cluelissOh, memories. Xacquarie (I'm pretty sure I spelled that wrong) and I Cannot Fathom Brooks.  Raquel's abortive novel was so terrible, but it's level of terribleness gave me a lot of laughs.  Even the names are amusing... they're the sort of names I would've thought clever and beautifully you-neek back when I was about twelve.  Now I realize they're the names of Maury guests.  

So after I commented that she always repeats the same pose in front of waterfalls, she posted a pic of her in a different pose (arms down). So, just in case she reads here:

Stop plagiarizing lyrics! You can use them , but put the song and artist in the comment! 

Also, I figured out what bothers me so much about her "the goal of writing is to make someone feel something" is that, by that logic, a piece that is nothing but obscenities and hate speech is "successful" writing. It encourages writers to take shortcuts and use cheats, by allowing them to provoke, instead of evoke. 

7 minutes ago, Terrie said:

It encourages writers to take shortcuts and use cheats,

That seems to sum up Raquel's writing style. 

10 hours ago, Terrie said:

So after I commented that she always repeats the same pose in front of waterfalls, she posted a pic of her in a different pose (arms down). So, just in case she reads here:

Stop plagiarizing lyrics! You can use them , but put the song and artist in the comment! 

Also, I figured out what bothers me so much about her "the goal of writing is to make someone feel something" is that, by that logic, a piece that is nothing but obscenities and hate speech is "successful" writing. It encourages writers to take shortcuts and use cheats, by allowing them to provoke, instead of evoke. 

I guess she's succeeded, then, because her writing - in turns - makes me feel amused or bored.

Uuuugh. A new Raquel thread has started and I'm still not done with my 3rd draft. *hangs head in shame* New goal for myself-- finish draft before the next thread starts. Which, considering how little of interest Raquel does these days, should give me a good chunk of time.... :pb_lol:

On 12/10/2017 at 4:28 PM, Shoobydoo said:

Uuuugh. A new Raquel thread has started and I'm still not done with my 3rd draft. *hangs head in shame*

Not sure what you're writing, but good luck with it! 

On 12/10/2017 at 5:53 AM, Terrie said:

Agreed! It's also such a vague goal that almost anything could fall under it. I can't think of many books (aside from maybe a very dry textbook) that haven't caused me to feel something, whether it was introspection, despair, amusement, or just like eyerolling. Sure, writing something that makes someone feel something can be a sign of excellent skills or a compelling topic, but it's not an accomplishment by itself. 

6 hours ago, December said:

Not sure what you're writing, but good luck with it! 

I am writing a novel! A novel containing ROMANCE! But alas, my leading man is not named Xaquerie, so it will forever be inferior to the couple thousand words or so that Raquel coughed up. :violin:

I’m writing a novel, too. (Full disclosure: I flunked NaNoWriMo*, only managing 10,000 of the requisite 50,000 words, but haven’t given up yet!) However, despite  my MA in English and knowing I can write well, I realize there’s lots to learn, so I’m taking a creative writing course from an actual published novelist I know.  (I met her when we performed in a community theater play together.)

I’m learning tons about plot structure, dialogue, characterization, editing, marketing, and the pros and cons of self-publishing vs. traditional publishing. All this for the bargain price of $45 a semester at a local adult ed program! 

Yes, it’s a little scary to put yourself out there and risk being told you’re making mistakes, but that’s part of the growth process. Take heed, Raquel. (But what would I know, being an Old and not a Christian (TM).

*National Novel Writing Month, an annual event taking place in November. It’s lots of fun. Visit NaNoWriMo.org for details!

9 hours ago, Hane said:

I’m writing a novel, too. (Full disclosure: I flunked NaNoWriMo*, only managing 10,000 of the requisite 50,000 words, but haven’t given up yet!) However, despite  my MA in English and knowing I can write well, I realize there’s lots to learn, so I’m taking a creative writing course from an actual published novelist I know.  (I met her when we performed in a community theater play together.)

I’m learning tons about plot structure, dialogue, characterization, editing, marketing, and the pros and cons of self-publishing vs. traditional publishing. All this for the bargain price of $45 a semester at a local adult ed program! 

That program sounds awesome! And yeah, you never realize how much you have to learn until you sit down and start writing a lot. All your bad habits and crutches become easier to see when you work on a long project, and you can't even try to fix them until you know they're there. 

BTW, I'm not going to diss Raquel just for failing nano. I have signed up for nano every year for the last decade-- and completed it once. The important thing isn't finishing nano, it's CONTINUING TO WORK ON YOUR PROJECT AND IMPROVE YOUR WRITING, even when November is over. I would still poke fun, but I would give Raquel credit if she just kept working on a project longer than a crappy half-page pome for once. 

Raquel quit working on her AMAZING novel the second she got done with her social media fast. 

On ‎10‎.‎12‎.‎2017 at 3:53 PM, Terrie said:

She credited Atticus poetry in a recent Instagram caption :) 

yay adult continuing ed classes.  I took quite a few of those back in the mid to late 90's  one of which included a screenwriting seminar.  

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone else have their jaw drop at her "five words that describe her 2017" Instagram post?

Marcid - (adj.) withered, incredibly exhausted both physically and emotionally
Erlebnisse - (n.) the experiences, positive or negative, that one feels most deeply and through which one truly lives
Livsnjutare - (n.) one who loves life deeply and lives it to the extreme
Forgiveness - (n.) the act of forgiving others or oneself, to pardon
Redeemed - (verb) to buy or pay off; clear by payment

Girl needs to stop getting her inspiration from Pinterest. I laughed at marcid, because a 30 second Google search shows it ALSO means "rotten or decayed" and "emaciated, as by a fever." I feel like that wasn't quite what she was going for.

She totally thinks that list makes her sound deep and intelligent. It only makes her sound like she spends too much time on Pinterest. 

I see she wants God to play in her bloodstream. At least she gave credit to the real author of those words. 

Did we notice that she went all the way to Argentina and then Peru so she could share rpthe same tired poses in front of waterfalls and next to trees?

*snerk* "Livsnjutare" is a Swedish word. It's generally translated as bon vivant or hedonist. Again, not quite what she was going for, though not inaccurate on a certain level. Girl might want to stick to modern English.

Looks more like she’s borrowing from Dictionary.com and it’s word of the day so something (granted you can follow them on Pinterest)

On 11/30/2017 at 11:21 AM, Palimpsest said:

Thanks.  Probably she flunked out of college because it was too hard.  That isn't good news about Peru or the Boys and Girls Club.  She is the last person who should be working with sexually abused youth.

I saw the blog post - I thought it was general enough not to be breaking confidentiality but I REALLY don't think it was a good idea. 

That said, posting photos of clients on Instagram should be a complete no-no.  I can't see the ones people are talking about* but Instagram stories are only temporary, IIRC

With Raquel, breaching confidentiality could just be a matter of time.  She does not get boundaries.  At all.  Raquel is another narcissistic accident waiting to happen.  I do think she is getting worse.

*@formergothardite, FYI, I can see the rest of her public photos and I'm not on Instagram either.    https://www.instagram.com/itsjustraquel/

it still represents a breach of privacy whether or not it's an Instastory.

Speaking of sexually abused youth didn't she try and start some charity where she sewed pillow cases for victims of trafficking Becuase you know the first thing a person needs when they leave trafficking is a new pillowcase. I think eventually she also started donating tolietries and personal items along with it...

22 minutes ago, lilah said:

Speaking of sexually abused youth didn't she try and start some charity where she sewed pillow cases for victims of trafficking Becuase you know the first thing a person needs when they leave trafficking is a new pillowcase. I think eventually she also started donating tolietries and personal items along with it...

She did. And then when she didn't get instant adoration and attention she says she gave the charity away. She claimed it was because she was "too busy". 

ETA: Wasn't it named The First Night of Freedom? Or Night of Freedom? She had a blog for it but it was 99% pictures of Raquel. 

And apparently Raquel did get to Peru to inflict herself on vulnerable teen boys. Fuck the ministry that lets her back after the way she acted in the past.

• 3 weeks later...

Raquel has been fairly quiet on most social media lately and I'd hoped she was learning some boundaries. Nope. She's got a picture and story of an encounter with two little girls in Peru up on her Instagram. Who's betting she did NOT get the parents' permission to post their picture and names? 

no reviews?  not even a pity one from her family?  

i gave a pity-review to my aunt a few years ago when she self-published a truly awful and boring book.  i made myself find a couple of positives (some of her photos were nice--mediocre, but nice) and gave her 3 stars.

Archived