IGNORED

Dillards 46: Now with Pants and a Possible Nose Piercing

Coconut Flan

About 20 years ago I picked up a magnetic nose stud for a stocking stuffer. My mother was staying with us and when we later went to our big family dinner wore it. My kids knew it was magnetic but the other grandchildren believed it was real and were disappointed when she took it out. Her willingness to tease and shock everyone is one of my loveliest memories of her.

• Replies 756
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Jinder Roles said:

Derick's latest twitter activity. Can somebody say tone-deaf? 

Naturally, people are roasting him about Trump in the comments.

Reveal hidden contents

He's the literal embodiment of white evangelical male with an American exceptionalism complex. And he's too dense to notice. 

Justifying the tax breaks for billionaires. "Look everybody, I care about you so much I'm going to make myself and all my friends so much richer and make you even poorer. You are better off being poor, the Bible says so.  See how much I love you.

Jill with a nose ring and pants. That's not something I thought I would see.

I have two tattoos, with one scheduled for my 30th birthday in March. One is a circle with two mountains on my wrist. The other is a big piece on thigh - a locked iron gate with the words "and I knew that you meant it" underneath. I'm getting a mandala on my shoulder in March.

I have one set of ear piercings but I never wear earrings. In high school, I pierced two more in each lobe and both cartilages myself. With a sewing needle. Because I was dumb and crazy. Those holes have closed up. 

12 hours ago, FleeJanaFree said:

Someone on the last thread joked about Jinger getting a sleeve tattoo. I actually think she could sincerely pull that look off!

I can dream. 

Of all the adult Duggar females I vote Jinger most likely to get a tattoo. Her headship has one. I doubt she'd get a sleeve, but could see her having something discreet.

I'm standing by my belief that part of the reason she's not pregnant yet is that she has a secret navel piercing that she doesn't want to take out.

9 hours ago, nickelodeon said:

Or the even Duggarier Duggar version where all the couples are kissing at the same time in some sort of awful first-base orgy.

Remember that squicky pic of Boob and Mullet and Smugturd and Anna kissing in front of their new babies (Jordyn and Mac)? I wonder if something similar will come next of all the breeding adult couples in their various stages of pregnancy/new babies having a smooch fest.

Sex ed with the Duggars. Gotta remind folks of how the babies got there. :brainbleach: Of course, Boob and Mullet would be proudly displayed in the middle. :output_eeMbjt:

I don't see Jinger getting a tat, she is far to prim and proper, there is something very prissy about her. I'm not meaning this in any derogatory way at all, she just strikes me as that overly feminine woman who while nice and enjoyable to hang around always has her hair done and her head band shoes and sweater always match. If that makes sense.

1 hour ago, VeryNikeSeamstress said:

Of all the adult Duggar females I vote Jinger most likely to get a tattoo. Her headship has one. I doubt she'd get a sleeve, but could see her having something discreet.

I'm standing by my belief that part of the reason she's not pregnant yet is that she has a secret navel piercing that she doesn't want to take out.

While I doubt she has one, I could totally picture Jinger with a navel piercing for some reason. No way we'd see any of the girl's midsections though. Color me shocked for real if that ever happens.

I am gone for a couple days or so, and when I come Back, Jill ist wearing pants for Thanksgiving and a nose ring?

:omg:

HOW DID THIS HAPPEN? :wtsf:

I think hell Just froze over. 

Add me to the list of people who are shocked to see Jill in pants with a nose ring. Honestly I think the nose ring shocks me less than the pants!! I thought for sure if anyone was going to stick it out with skirts only it would be Jill. She seems to be the biggest goody-goody mommy/daddy pleaser of them all. I thought we'd see Jessa in pants before Jill for sure. This actually gives me hope that a trend might start and the rest of them will jump on the bandwagon.

What is the trend, though? Does it really matter if they wear pants, get piercings, drink alcohol and tattoo their entire bodies, if they're still espousing all the same hateful, ignorant, oppressive beliefs? Like don't get me wrong, I don't think it's meaningless that Jill apparently feels more freedom to expand her wardrobe/style options, but how significant is it outside of it being nice that she has the choice between skirts and pants now? 

What would actually shock me, and make me sit up and take serious notice, would be Jill sending her kids to public school, Jessa saying, 'We realize now the courtship model is unhealthy and will not encourage our own kids to follow it', Jana moving out and working to support herself, Josiah enrolling in an actual accredited university, etc. etc. Pants and nose rings are basically lipstick on a pig at this point.

My pessimistic side can't help but think that all the newfound trendiness is just to distract the public from the fact that they're all just as hateful as ever--even more politically so now with the Dillards involved in the circus. 

Its great that Jill felt comfortable wearing jeans and a nose piercing to her in-laws' for Thanksgiving, but imo Cathi is more vocally bigoted and hateful than Jim Bob or Michelle (besides that anti-trans robocall, but even JB & M seem to realize that's bad PR at this point). I'll take skirts & stifled bigotry over pants and hate-spewed social media accounts honestly

Hate to break it to you guys, but there’s already a Duggar who has been inked and it ain’t Jinger:

#restinthestorm #jesuslovesthemall #amyjordanduggarjordanduggarkingduggarking

Oh... 'rest in the storm'... I was trying to figure out what that last word was. My brain was like, 'Rest in the Hrurna?'

Someone previously asked "what would demote a daughter in JB's eyes," since he was fine with Joshley hurting his sisters, but not infidelity...(I meant to quote that but lost it). 

This is pure speculation, but I can totally see JB favoring Jill less because of her difficult births. She can't build him that army for Jesus that he wants. I can see that being harder for him to cope with, that his progeny will not inherit the earth, than seeing his daughter upset about her birth experiences.

I said this all before in a Jinger thread. But here it is again:

The pants are a big deal and require a change in belief. Everything in fundamentalist and evangelical culture has spiritual and moral implications. Skirts are not a preference for the skirts only crowd. They are a conviction. They are necessary to hide the butt and crotch thus protecting men from lust. It is about sexual morality. When a Duggar daughter decides they are okay, she is changing her view on a matter of sexual morality. And when she goes out in a pair of pants and no men fall over in the throes of lust or even appear to notice, she is going to internalize that Jim Bob and Michelle were wrong about that. The next question will be what else are they wrong about?

When you have never existed in an environment where every single thing is a matter of spiritual concern and morality, it can be hard to comprehend. But that is the fundagelical way. How you make cursive letters is a spiritual debate in that world. Nail polish shades are a spiritual debate in that world. It never ends. Choosing to wear pants likely required a spiritual decision for them which is why we didn’t see them do it instantly when out of their parents‘ house. If it was all The husbands’s decision,, it would have happened sooner, too

Sure, but they've changed their modesty standards before. They had actually already gone through a pretty big transformation even before any of the daughters started (publicly) wearing pants. And even in fundamentalism, gradual changes in standards of modesty and morality do take place. Fundamentalist Christians of the 1880s would be shocked by the standards of those of the 1950s, who would probably be shocked by the standards of those of the 2010s. There appears to be a trend among many fundie young women right now of embracing pants, and the Duggar daughters seem to be following it, just like they made the switch from frumpers to 'modern modest' a few years back, and just like the Bateses now 'date with a purpose' rather than 'court'. They're still fundamentalists.

I think it's important to wait and see what they actually do after adopting these wardrobe changes. Are they still waiting until marriage to kiss? Going from courtship to engagement to marriage in under a year having never been alone, unchaperoned, with their partner? Homeschooling their kids using a fundamentalist curriculum? Eschewing all forms of birth control, even if they have multiple high risk pregnancies?

Being willing to reevaluate previous ideals isn't insignificant, but it may or may not bear fruit in other areas of their lives. Jill could switch to wearing pants 100% of the time, dye her hair blue and get twelve tattoos, and that would definitely be a huge departure from her previous ideals, BUT if she still embraces all other aspects of fundamentalism, she's still a fundamentalist. I'm just saying I think we really need to wait and see if any of them go beyond wardrobe changes before evaluating how significant said wardrobe changes may or may not be.

How many fundies are skirts only. Nowadays most of them wear pants. MANY of them still have toxic beliefs, including sexual morality. Remember Jeremey said wear pants, but be careful men could be tempted by the way you dress.

Also JILL HAS A NOSE RING!!!!!!

It wouldn't surprise me if they justify pants as "well, I have a wedding ring and therefore men cannot lust after me" or something of the sort. 

Hate to break it to you guys, but there’s already a Duggar who has been inked and it ain’t Jinger:

I'm a graphic designer and that is the most awful font. It's not even legible!!

I meant to respond to a post yesterday and forgot while I was replying. Someone had mentioned before about not defiling your body because it is a temple, blah blah blah. My fundie/fundie lite ex in-laws totally believed this. I think at the time I had two or three ear piercings in each ear and that was kind of pushing it. They said that crap about how piercings and tattoos were disrespecting your body that god gave you. I now have 13 (? I think?) ear piercings, a nose ring and multiple tattoos. Oh and I had a belly ring before I got fat, lol.

I'm curious how the current surge of sexual harassment firings and #MeToo movement is affecting the Fundamentalist view of sexual morality and the burden being placed on women. I can speculate for some it's got to reinforce the idea that men can't control themselves, but for others are they starting to think and see that men can control themselves and when they can't the men are being held responsible.  We know ATI/IBLP has had their own share of sex scandals, so I'm unsure how much of an impact what's going on right now could be making on people who still believe even after Gothard's oust. 

It would be interesting to hear their thoughts on the issues even if it as small as realizing pants offer more protection from unwanted groping, like hands being put up a skirt (one more reason not to miss the NYC metro). 

1 hour ago, VelociRapture said:

Amy doesn't count, she's not a Jim Boob owned raised Duggar. FAmy dated, I'm pretty sure Famy was no virgin on her wedding night, her cousins are not even allowed to be with her unless Boob or DQ are there to supervise. She's only a Duggar in famy seeking.

13 minutes ago, cascarones said:

I'm curious how the current surge of sexual harassment firings and #MeToo movement is affecting the Fundamentalist view of sexual morality and the burden being placed on women. I can speculate for some it's got to reinforce the idea that men can't control themselves, but for others are they starting to think and see that men can control themselves and when they can't the men are being held responsible.  We know ATI/IBLP has had their own share of sex scandals, so I'm unsure how much of an impact what's going on right now could be making on people who still believe even after Gothard's oust. 

It would be interesting to hear their thoughts on the issues even if it as small as realizing pants offer more protection from unwanted groping, like hands being put up a skirt (one more reason not to miss the NYC metro). 

I wish the Duggar girls would get a chance to meet with and talk to Elizabeth Smart, that is one amazing woman.  If you haven't heard her TED talk, listen too it, it is worth the 11 minutes.

31 minutes ago, cascarones said:

The Duggars still have a show.  I'd say #metoo isnt impacting them at all.

Holy Mackarel. I had been considering registering here for over a year now, but Jill's nose ring finally gave me the push. And the pants. THE PANTS! I thought Joy-Anna would pull out the pants after Jinger, how have the tables turned!

Knock me over with a feather. 

Gotta wonder if she did it and wear pants to deflect from Derick? 

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived