IGNORED

Dillards 46: Now with Pants and a Possible Nose Piercing

Coconut Flan

Wow, I finally made it to the end of the Dillard threads. We've been moving and haven't had internet, phone or tv so I've been relying on my very old -Kids and Counting DVDs for my entertainment this past week.

I have to say, the Jilly Muffin we are discussing in these threads sure is different than the goody goody little girl in those old episodes. I know her beliefs still suck and she would judge me but I am very surprised she got a nose piercing. Who would have thought?

Yes I am a fellow pierced and tattooed heathen. I'm currently rocking a large silver ring, so no mistaking it for a zit. Nose piercings seem pretty commonplace anymore. My work doesn't care. But still, it seems like such a leap for a Duggar!

• Replies 756
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The jeans and nose ring are a bit surprising all at once but then again Jill now has a headship that isn't JimBob (or by extension braindead Michelle). And Derrick's fundamentalism appears to be much more political than rooted in popping out dozens of babies combined with insane modesty. He probably doesn't care one bit what she's wearing and what she's piercing (within reason). But if she started to advocate for gay marriage, now that would be totes unacceptable.

6 hours ago, Nikedagain? said:

I am so sad that this is "national news", y'all. 

People Mag loves the Duggars, for whatever reason. I personally wouldn't spend a penny on that rag.

53 minutes ago, PumaLover said:

Yes I am a fellow pierced and tattooed heathen. I'm currently rocking a large silver ring, so no mistaking it for a zit. Nose piercings seem pretty commonplace anymore. My work doesn't care. But still, it seems like such a leap for a Duggar!

When I got my nose pierced 9-ish years ago, people told me I would NEVER be able to work with it.  

I wear a 6mm opal in my nose AND have a large Medusa (philtrum) piercing that I wear to my business formal dress required, Fortune 500 office.  No one bats an eye.  Conformity is for the birds these days!  

18 hours ago, grandmadugger said:

WTF?!?!?! I get overwhelmed with Thanksgiving and grandkids and Jill gets a nose ring and starts wearing jeans?  This is a sign the world is ending right?

Just Boob and MEchelle's.    :cracking-up:

On 11/28/2017 at 1:23 PM, Georgiana said:

When I got my nose pierced 9-ish years ago, people told me I would NEVER be able to work with it.  

I wear a 6mm opal in my nose AND have a large Medusa (philtrum) piercing that I wear to my business formal dress required, Fortune 500 office.  No one bats an eye.  Conformity is for the birds these days!  

At some places. My DD wasn't permitted to wear hers in her office. Still plenty of conformity out there in client-facing roles in conservative industries.

Possibly unpopular opinion: I don't like nose piercings.

If the nose piercing was Muslim influenced, I'd think she'd go with henna first. Maybe she always just wanted one and Derick said to go for it. I wouldn't take this as an indication of any change in their beliefs and merely as a repackaging of them, if you will. Nobody is jumping ship and going mainstream, IMO, especially given Derick's recent social media postings.

Dammit Jill! I've pretty much just "got over" not having my nose piercing anymore, now I come here and see her with one & I want mine back! I might just go on Saturday and get it done again (which I've been telling myself I'd do since my husband took it out for me last November).

Hopefully her babies don't play with it/pull on it. We have 3 cats and the youngest would try to pull mine out in my sleep - that and the skin irritation lead my husband to take it out (because I'm a wuss apparently - can get multiple piercings & tattoos just can't pull a nose stud out :pb_lol:).

It looks good on her, I hope she keeps it!

2 hours ago, Georgiana said:

I used to have a tiny opal but I lost it down a drain! I have a little diamond now. I haven't been able to find an opal in a gold setting like the one I had. I've never worked in a corporate setting so I have no experience with people having an issue with it. 

7 hours ago, Ilovebrownies said:

I don't see a nose ring here.

IMG_1835.JPG

Hello, my name is Derrick and I am a slob. Dress for venue, DD!

Someone on the last thread joked about Jinger getting a sleeve tattoo. I actually think she could sincerely pull that look off!

I can dream. 

23 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

I hate the "surprised selfie" i don't understand why so many people do it.

And yeah, those pants and that sweater look awful. This is the awkward stage.

Nothing is worse though than that group photo they keep doing at every wedding where the couple kisses and everyone else is !Shocked!

But really, a friendly reminder that all of the pants and nose rings don't erase these people having really shitty, hateful views.

13 hours ago, Seculardaisy said:

I follow her friend Kristen on IG and she is a very interesting fundie light. She was a cheerleader, she listens to popular music, she just posted a story about watching Christmas Vacation. It seems like the only thing she has in common with Jessa is loving Jesus and tacos.

She also posted some mildly transphobic shit in her Insta story (I say "mildly" because my bellwether is Derick, and her thing was just something about how there are only two genders because God said so or whatever, which is shitty and ignorant, but not the worst thing I've heard).

9 minutes ago, freethemall said:

Nothing is worse though than that group photo they keep doing at every wedding where the couple kisses and everyone else is !Shocked!

But really, a friendly reminder that all of the pants and nose rings don't erase these people having really shitty, hateful views.

To be fair, I actually prefer that shocked kissing photo to the Duggar version wherein the newlywed couple and everyone else are posing nicely while one of the obnoxious older married couples  stages an awkward and attention seeking smooch to ruin the shot. 

12 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

Derick won't be shown in Counting On, but Jill and the children could still be shown. There are lots of weddings and new babies which could include her without him. Yawn. :562479a9d021a_Titanicyawn:

I am way out of the loop, but could someone link to a thread/post that shares what happened with Derick? 

I am one very conservative middle-aged suburban mom. However, when I saw Jill's picture, I did not even notice the nose-piercing, probably because they are so common here (Olympia area in Washington State). It looks cute on Jill and I would not even object if she was my own daughter. As my teen son keeps saying, "It's 2017, who cares?" 

I do think the pants and nose ring are significant, considering her background. No, it doesn't mean that her objectionable beliefs are gone (but I haven't actually seen anyone here saying that anyway) or that they will ever be gone, but it does show that she is deviating from how she was raised. Even if she's around a lot of people with more moderate standards now it's not easy to get past the kind of indoctrination she was subjected to for most of her life.

Again, of course it doesn't mean that she's not still a fundamentalist, but it's not insignificant either.

Color me shocked that  Jilly Muffin got a nose ring and is wearing jeans.  More surprised about the nose ring than the jeans.  But when I think about it,  I completely agree with below quote. I don't think the the jeans are rebellion from the cult.  The jeans  are a way to "fit in" within their new , outside of the Duggar family  friends.  I think the nose ring is for attention.   Jinger and the Baabe seem to be the favorite hipster couple, the nose ring is bringing attention back to Jilly-Muffin, and it worked,  viola, the article in People.   It is also taking negative attention away from D-wreck's  stupid tweets.   Jilly always had to be the center of attention and the first among her sisters, this is her way of moving the spotlight back onto herself.  

11 hours ago, patsymae said:

It looks like at the lecture the Dillards went to the woman in the couple is wearing pants. I'm not sure it's a rebellion as much as that outside of the compound a lot of alpha women wear pants and modern clothing/hair, and the Duggar women don't get kudos for holiness by sticking to skirts--nobody is impressed by how godly they are. Reminds me of one of the weddings when the minister told them if they want to wait until they are married to kiss that's their business, but there's nothing biblical or godly about it.

Also surprised that D-wreck posted a instagram of a female teaching/preaching/expounding.   That is a big no - no in the Gothard /  IBLP circles, woman can only teach other woman or they can teach  about being a wife & mother, alongside their husband in a co-ed group  (like Meechelle does with the Boob).   And woman can only have certain Gothard/IBLP jobs and most certainly can't work while having kids.   The woman D-wreck posted is MIchelle Bachman a conservative Republican,  who I believe was the first Republican woman to be elected  to  U.S. House of Reps  from Minnesota.  She also has an advanced degree, I believe in law from William & Mary.  I may loathe her politics but was surprised to find any woman on a  Duggar/Dillard Instagram,  teaching the all powerful room of penises. To me that is more significant (a slight shift  away from Gothard/ IBLP beliefs about the roles of woman) than the nose ring or Jeans.  Still a conservative right wing, tea partiy woman but still a woman in a powerful role reserved for men in the  Gothard, jim Boob, IBLP cult.  

Derick's latest twitter activity. Can somebody say tone-deaf? 

Naturally, people are roasting him about Trump in the comments.

Spoiler

He's the literal embodiment of white evangelical male with an American exceptionalism complex. And he's too dense to notice. 

41 minutes ago, Jinder Roles said:

Derick's latest twitter activity. Can somebody say tone-deaf? 

Naturally, people are roasting him about Trump in the comments.

Hide contents

He's the literal embodiment of white evangelical male with an American exceptionalism complex. And he's too dense to notice. 

He also seems so friggin angry all the time. Calm down Derick. 

3 hours ago, jacduggar said:

He also seems so friggin angry all the time. Calm down Derick.

Wouldn't be a bit surprised if Derick's Negative Nancy, angry-all-the-time demeanor meant Wal-Mart and SOS were glad to see him go. Let's see how long it takes for him to wear out his welcome at Harassing College Students About Jesus.

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived