IGNORED

Dillards 46: Now with Pants and a Possible Nose Piercing

Coconut Flan

• Replies 756
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree, this is not a big deal to them.  It is interesting though that this got more attention from People than Samuel seemed to get.

Someone mentioned that Jill is close to her dad and I agree she did seem to be a fave of his when living at home.  However,  I think that JB would flip on that quickly, if he felt disappointed in one of his kids.  The question is what would disappoint JB?  Well, we know that molesting siblings didn't seem to get him to riled up, but it seems as if blatant infidelity did.  We know that Josh is still part of the fold, but we don't know if he has lost favored status.  And would JB's tolerance for disappointment be different for a son vs. a daughter? 

If a daughter openly disobeyed a long held family rule, would that be more upsetting to JB, than son number 1 being an overall mess? 

If a daughter sided with her husband against the family, would that change their favored status in JB's eyes, even though they claim that the new husband is now the headship,  I think we all suspect that JB likely doesn't really feel that way and would prefer to be revered  by all in laws and adult children.  

I could be completely wrong, but I think JB really liked Derick.  They studied the bible together, he hand picked him for his fave daughter.  She was the first Duggar Daughter to marry and it was supposed to be an example to the world of how perfect their Courtship practices were, how wise JB was in selecting and approving his daughter's husband.  And then Derick seemed to go off the rails a bit.  I think that JB would be even more hurt by this and more likely to react strongly to Derick's actions that hurt their brand.  It isn't hard for me to believe that Derick may have fallen out of favored status, and taken Jill along with him. I think JB is a savvy business person and I could see him having no patience for someone coloring outside the lines when it comes to protecting the brand, the show, the business, the cash flow.

On the other hand,  JB may be doubling down on his support of Derick even in the presence of evidence that Derick is a tool.  This particular brand Christianity that these people ascribe to really get off on the idea of persecution and this may be viewed as an example of that, and they may all admire Derick for taking a stand.  JB may be so arrogant and narcissistic himself that he can't admit that he might have made a mistake. 

14 hours ago, immodest_countenance said:

Imagine20, these are people who literally believe that they have to 'save' Catholics, you know the people who believe 90% of the core religious things that they do

Unfortunately, I know all about that. I was raised WELS which is very conservative and IMHO cultish. We couldn't even pray with other Lutherans or even volunteer to do Meals on Wheels on the same day. We were encouraged to convert other Lutherans. I was literally afraid of Catholics until I went to public high school. Those evangelical religions can really mess a person up.

Though I don’t think her beliefs have changed because of pants and a nose ring it’s still a big deal.  I think she is dealing with internal crises after two difficult births and other ordeals and maybe questioning things she was taught growing up.  She might finally be seeing the light that pants and nose rings don’t equal the devil and you can be a Christian if you so desire while having those things.

I retract my previous statement. That’s a nose stud. It looks great on her! My 17yo has hers done and I like it. 

I’m pretty surprised by a facial piercing. Isn’t there a lot in the Bible about not marking your body because it’s a temple? Jeans, popular music, all of that is sort of whatever to me but a nose ring seems like a pretty intense rebellion. I mean, Jill’s never even changed up her hair style. To suddenly go for piercings seems so extreme for her (NOT in general, just for Jill). Wasn’t she the one bawling her eyes out over a blood draw? To be a fly on the wall for that piercing....

14 minutes ago, Ilovebrownies said:

I don't see a nose ring here.

IMG_1835.JPG

It’s there. Zoom in. 

3 hours ago, iheartjnames said:

Didn't Jana buy a tattoo parlor? Maybe free piercings was part of the deal?

In my head Jana is running the tattoo parlor now. She restyled it by herself into a nice modest one and is giving all her siblings Jesus tattoos or piercings for free.

Duggar Ink would be an awesome spinoff. I'd watch it. 

4 hours ago, elliha said:

If she went to a real piercing and tattoo shop I would have payed to be there and see what she did. I really can't picture a Duggar in a place like that. Not that I am against such places myself but with their narrow scope that would be interesting.

Is it sad that part of me hopes that she decided to have a night out alone, left the kids with Derrick and came home with a nose piercing? I would love to hear that she went out and made a decision on her own about what she wanted to do with her own body. I doubt it happened that way and I'm sure she prayed about it, but I would totally watch that on Counting On. LOL

That Instagram pic reminds me of Sierra (especially those crazy eyes), which is ironic as Sierra tries so hard to be Duggarish herself. Then again, no matter what Jill does, people will criticize her. But still, Jessa is so much better at conveying the "busy but loving mama" image on social media.

It looks like at the lecture the Dillards went to the woman in the couple is wearing pants. I'm not sure it's a rebellion as much as that outside of the compound a lot of alpha women wear pants and modern clothing/hair, and the Duggar women don't get kudos for holiness by sticking to skirts--nobody is impressed by how godly they are. Reminds me of one of the weddings when the minister told them if they want to wait until they are married to kiss that's their business, but there's nothing biblical or godly about it.

33 minutes ago, Ace3 said:

Is it sad that part of me hopes that she decided to have a night out alone, left the kids with Derrick and came home with a nose piercing? I would love to hear that she went out and made a decision on her own about what she wanted to do with her own body. I doubt it happened that way and I'm sure she prayed about it, but I would totally watch that on Counting On. LOL

Maybe Jana's tattoo parlor?

6 minutes ago, patsymae said:

Maybe Jana's tattoo parlor?

A building that housed a tattoo parlor at one time was purchased in Jana's name either late last year or earlier this year.

Actually, I think this might be a big deal. Jill seems to have been hanging out with Muslims lately and I have seen a lot of Muslim women with nose studs. I'm not saying Jill is converting or anything- but perhaps she thinks highly enough of them to adopt some of their beauty practices.

I can't imagine a nose piercing NOT being a huge deal in Duggar-land. It's still a pretty big deal in a lot of secular families so I don't see JB and M being all "totes whatever you want Jilly muffin."

6 hours ago, NakedKnees said:

So, did Jill go to a piercing and/or tattoo shop?

She may not have had to, especially with interacting with so many international students. My nose was first pierced by my friend's Bengali aunt when I went along for a visit with the aunt to watch her get henna for something. The second time my dad pierced it, he also pierced both my mom and my second earlobe holes. Yes, he's a doctor, but it's ultimately about steadiness of hand and making sure everything is sterile. I've got no scarring from either piercing and I think in pop's head piercings can come and go as a phase, while tattoos are permanent.

@Ilovebrownies You'll rarely see a nose stud from a front on photo, because it's placed in the side crease, so it's really only visible in profile.

22 minutes ago, Kelsey said:

Actually, I think this might be a big deal. Jill seems to have been hanging out with Muslims lately and I have seen a lot of Muslim women with nose studs. I'm not saying Jill is converting or anything- but perhaps she thinks highly enough of them to adopt some of their beauty practices.

I can't imagine a nose piercing NOT being a huge deal in Duggar-land. It's still a pretty big deal in a lot of secular families so I don't see JB and M being all "totes whatever you want Jilly muffin."

Or it's, the more you look like them the more they will relate so you can covert them. Like Messianic "Jews."

Going back to the weird Sam swaddling thing.  A women at work brought in her 6 week old and she did the same thing!  The kid just really likes to kick so she only swaddles the arms.  Sam is way older but it was still interesting to hear about.

37 minutes ago, Kelsey said:

My ultra conservative step mother FLIPPED HER SHIT when I took my then 15 yr old DD to get her nose pierced. It was a birthday present, and I personally think they are really cute.  Step mother starts ranting about not getting jobs and being gross and dirty and what ever.  I can't stand the bitch so I don't care what she said, my kid my rules. DD was able to get a job at Justice and now at Starbucks, Starbucks does have a  no facial piercing/tattoo policy but for the most part they allow the nose piercing like this one to slide, except when she works with one older woman who hates any and all piercings, but they do enforce septum piercings, snake bites, viper bites, tongue, eyebrow and cheek piercings. And no neck or hand tats above the wrist or below the collar are fine. But I'm not sure how strict that is, since I never go to Starbucks (coffee :puke-huge:)

50 minutes ago, cascarones said:

She may not have had to, especially with interacting with so many international students. My nose was first pierced by my friend's Bengali aunt when I went along for a visit with the aunt to watch her get henna for something. The second time my dad pierced it, he also pierced both my mom and my second earlobe holes. Yes, he's a doctor, but it's ultimately about steadiness of hand and making sure everything is sterile. I've got no scarring from either piercing and I think in pop's head piercings can come and go as a phase, while tattoos are permanent.

@Ilovebrownies You'll rarely see a nose stud from a front on photo, because it's placed in the side crease, so it's really only visible in profile.

DD has pierced her own ears 3 times now, I grounded her the last time because I told her to stop it with out asking 1st, she didn't! :wtsf:

1. It's a nose ring. 

2. I can't believe Jinger wasn't the first to get a nose peircing. 

3. I cannot believe Jill would EVER pierce her face. For a religion that doesn't even allow short hair, that's a pretty big deal. 

28 minutes ago, KelseyAnn said:

2. I can't believe Jinger wasn't the first to get a nose peircing.

I have seen this a few times in these threads and I wonder why? Jinger doesn’t strike me as the piercing type, and Jeremy doesn’t strike me as the type who would allow it. I mean granted Jill is about the last Duggar I expected to get pierced. 

Honestly I would have expected this out of Jessa above any of the other older girls. 

4 minutes ago, jacduggar said:

I have seen this a few times in these threads and I wonder why? Jinger doesn’t strike me as the piercing type, and Jeremy doesn’t strike me as the type who would allow it. I mean granted Jill is about the last Duggar I expected to get pierced. 

Honestly I would have expected this out of Jessa above any of the other older girls. 

I think people saw Jinger wearing pants and she is now the Rebellious Duggar™. So every time a Duggar does something a little out of the ordinary it's "I'm surprised Jinger didn't do it first!" I agree with you though, I don't really think a nose piercing fits in with the image Jeremy seems to be trying to depict with himself and Jinger. Makes more sense for Jill, like others have said, she's always liked that barefoot-maxi skirt-not much makeup-boho look. 

With Jill wearing pants I wonder if it's the first time she's really worn them, or if she's been doing it off camera for a while... And if she has, then have the other Duggar girls been wearing pants outside of TV and Instagram, too?

9 minutes ago, jacduggar said:

I just always thought Jinger was more...spunky or something. I don't think Jessa ever would, and she's my pet fundie. I think she's just too 'proper' or 'old-fashioned.' Not that there isn't anything wrong with that. I just don't think Jessa is the adventerous type. 

Just now, TheMustardCardigan said:

I think people saw Jinger wearing pants and she is now the Rebellious Duggar™. So every time a Duggar does something a little out of the ordinary it's "I'm surprised Jinger didn't do it first!" I agree with you though, I don't really think a nose piercing fits in with the image Jeremy seems to be trying to depict with himself and Jinger. Makes more sense for Jill, like others have said, she's always liked that barefoot-maxi skirt-not much makeup-boho look. 

With Jill wearing pants I wonder if it's the first time she's really worn them, or if she's been doing it off camera for a while... And if she has, then have the other Duggar girls been wearing pants outside of TV and Instagram, too?

I agree with that about Jeremy’s image for them. To me he’s going for the “trendy Jesus loving power couple” thing, and I think Jinger probably just loves being able to buy cute clothes from an actual mall. 

I’m betting they all wear pants at this point. At least the adult ones. I have no illusions that Jessa hangs around the house in leggings, Anna probably does too. Anna’s style also changed a ton after the DC move. 

2 minutes ago, KelseyAnn said:

I just always thought Jinger was more...spunky or something. I don't think Jessa ever would, and she's my pet fundie. I think she's just too 'proper' or 'old-fashioned.' Not that there isn't anything wrong with that. I just don't think Jessa is the adventerous type. 

Jessa just seems to like the shock value, and Ben is so passive he’d pretty much let her do whatever. I’m also sure that Ben would have bicep tattoos in an alternate universe. 

I can't see Jinger being much into piercings. Maybe some extra earlobe piercings and if she was very bold maybe one higher up in the ear but I doubt she would do a nose piercing.

I have three holes in one ear and one in the other. I rarely wear earrings and if I do, nowadays I only use the lowest hole in the ear with three. I could technically still put an earring in but I don't feel like a three ring person anymore. I like the industrial but I know two people who have had one and both had to take it out despite having them done in a good place but they still got infections that got too bad for them to keep the jewellery in and the holes closed after healing. I also know someone who had a tragus that got infected and damaged the area to the point that they needed to remove part of it. It wasn't pretty. I am really scared of cartilage piercings after these incidents so an industrial will probably never happen for me.

I love tattoos and getting one before I turn 40 is on my bucket list.

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived