IGNORED

Gwen Shamblin: Skinny for Jesus

nausicaa

46 minutes ago, Red Hair, Black Dress said:

Not to be mean but actually in that photo she looks like Riff Raff in Rocky Horror

I kinda think Riff would be offended by that. He had a wicked smirk at least. And a ray gun. 

• Replies 602
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, mango_fandango said:

How old is Elizabeth? She’s clearly got some kind of eating disorder going on. But it’ll be seen as a good thing that she’s skeletal. 

One of Elizabeth's main roles at Remnant is leading up the youth group there.  So they get 'couseling' and talks from this 'leader'.  She gets to teach young kids her outlook on eating (or lack thereof) and how that is directly related to loving God.

This is the young, impressioable kid's role model at Remnant.

15 hours ago, sajetime said:

This is what following Gwen leads to ... 

This photo was one included as a post on the Hannahs in a “Meet the Leaders” series they’re doing on the Remnnat Yourh Facebook page.

Elizabeth looks so skeletal, unwell, gaunt and ghastly. And essentially they’re telling the youth this is what you should aspire to?!

F26DA90C-54C8-493B-BBAB-61A407130077.jpeg

She looks like an extreme FaceOff mask/makeup - maybe for an alien that lives in desert environment. YIKES. 

16 hours ago, sajetime said:

This is what following Gwen leads to ... 

This photo was one included as a post on the Hannahs in a “Meet the Leaders” series they’re doing on the Remnnat Yourh Facebook page.

Elizabeth looks so skeletal, unwell, gaunt and ghastly. And essentially they’re telling the youth this is what you should aspire to?!

F26DA90C-54C8-493B-BBAB-61A407130077.jpeg

what makes me so sad is look at how sunken in all of their eyes are. They don't look healthy at all!

33 minutes ago, sajetime said:

The link doesn’t work now! Just goes to the store.

It wouldn’t surprise me if they actively are watching this forum. 

37 minutes ago, sajetime said:

Got to remember to take screen shots of everything. The "truth" is fluid with these people.  What is "true" is only relative to the message they are currently selling. Today's truth was yesterday's lie. Like Gwen's stance on divorce.

1 hour ago, sajetime said:

Wow the link was working earlier today but now it doesn’t for me. @RFSurvivor_2 you are right I think they are reading here. 

3 hours ago, sajetime said:

Here’s some serious Remnant awkwardness on full display. Lots of forced smiles, butt-kissing and pretend bliss. https://livestream.com/gwen-shamblin/events/6524057/videos/139465863

It is weird seeing grown women acting like sorority girls with fake smiles. These women seem like the kind to greet you with a smile and act like you are a BFF but talk crap about you behind your back.

Except for that very dark dried blood color lipstick, Elizabeth doesn't seem to wear any make-up.  Is there a reason?  Every other woman in the church seems to, so there doesn't appear to be a prohibition on it.

Not to be stereotypical, because make-up/no make-up is a personal thing, but a little mascara and blush would help make her look less corpse-like. That and about 25 lbs.

@RFsurvivor 1&2 and the others who have inside knowledge  -- in your opinion is it possible that Michael might ever leave RF?  From the reports here he seems to be pulling away and is troubled by Gwen's remarriage. He seems to have had doubts before -- could this remarriage be his breaking point?

48 minutes ago, Red Hair, Black Dress said:

Except for that very dark dried blood color lipstick, Elizabeth doesn't seem to wear any make-up.  Is there a reason?  Every other woman in the church seems to, so there doesn't appear to be a prohibition on it.

Not to be stereotypical, because make-up/no make-up is a personal thing, but a little mascara and blush would help make her look less corpse-like. That and about 25 lbs.

@RFsurvivor 1&2 and the others who have inside knowledge  -- in your opinion is it possible that Michael might ever leave RF?  From the reports here he seems to be pulling away and is troubled by Gwen's remarriage. He seems to have had doubts before -- could this remarriage be his breaking point?

@RFSurvivor_2 would probably be able to speak to this better. I hope for his sake and for his family. From my point of view, years ago while involved in RF, I would have never thought I would leave. So anything is possible

I’m troubled by some of the comments on Elizabeth’s appearance. Snarking on a sick person’s body?

5 hours ago, akinom said:

I’m troubled by some of the comments on Elizabeth’s appearance. Snarking on a sick person’s body?

I hope anyone in RF that reads here starts realizing that Elizabeth's body/weight is not something that should be a goal. I hope the teens that might stumble on us realize that 1. lack of food has side affects, such as hair loss. 2. Sunken eyes are not normal 3. (Lack of food) stunts growth and development.

6 hours ago, akinom said:

The thing is *they* do not believe she is sick — she is held up in Remnant as the example. And she’s over the impressionable youth group. 

I rarely comment on a person’s body because I very rarely give a single fuck about what anyone’s body looks like. But I am disturbed that Elizabeth’s appearance is perfectly acceptable for being seen in public According to Gwen while her son (who has gained some weight) is now only seen to quickly play the piano and then get off stage. 

It’s just so fucked up. 

3 hours ago, quiversR4hunting said:

I hope anyone in RF that reads here starts realizing that Elizabeth's body/weight is not something that should be a goal. I hope the teens that might stumble on us realize that 1. lack of food has side affects, such as hair loss. 2. Sunken eyes are not normal 3. (Lack of food) stunts growth and development.

Agreed. I mean that photo with the massive forehead where you could see every hollow of her skull is creepy, and I hope if anyone from RF stumbles here and sees that maybe it'll occur to  them that that is NOT a normal look. The skeleton is meant to support the body, not BE the body. Food is fuel. Starvation is not godly. Gwen is not god.

Have you ever seen the forensic reconstructions where they build on to the skull to make a likeness of what the person may have looked like in life? Elizabeth is missing much of the average thickness of tissue that they use to do that. She looks like a skull with skin stretched over it. 

If she was someone fighting anorexia, I would be completely anti-snark. But she's being held up as an example for young, growing girls to aspire to, as some sort of ideal. She doesn't think she's sick, she thinks she's being godly. The youth in her group I'm sure don't think she's sick, they think they need to lose more weight to be more godly like her, and she may be contributing to eating disorders in them. Not cool, not OK, not godly, and definitely not normal.

1 minute ago, Alisamer said:

Have you ever seen the forensic reconstructions where they build on to the skull to make a likeness of what the person may have looked like in life? Elizabeth is missing much of the average thickness of tissue that they use to do that. She looks like a skull with skin stretched over it. 

yes, along time ago I saw one and they used erasers from a #2 pencil to be the thickness of space between bone and skin. I agree, Elizabeth does not have the average thickness (to this untrained, non-medical person).

I wish the parents of these teens would wake up and realize they are doing GREAT harm to their children. All of us here seem to be concentrating on the daughters but males (see Matthew Perry) are also susceptible to eating disorders. These parents are royally f-ing up their kids.

37 minutes ago, Alisamer said:

If she was someone fighting anorexia, I would be completely anti-snark. But she's being held up as an example for young, growing girls to aspire to, as some sort of ideal. She doesn't think she's sick, she thinks she's being godly. The youth in her group I'm sure don't think she's sick, they think they need to lose more weight to be more godly like her, and she may be contributing to eating disorders in them. Not cool, not OK, not godly, and definitely not normal.

I totally agree. And the youth are so sheltered. Many of them are home-schooled. Their social lives take place exclusively at church and with their parents and other members who idolize Gwen and Elizabeth. They don’t know this look is not normal.

Anyone who gains weight must step away from the church and webcast instead because they don’t want to “confuse” members into thinking that’s OK. (Many of the folks who uproot their lives and move to Brentwood don’t realize this until it happens to them; if they start slipping and gaining weight, they are excluded and ultimately shunned.)

And even if the church was correct and a little extra weight meant cardinal sin, isn’t it Jesus who said “I have not come to call the righteous but the sinners?” He never turned anyone away from healing. Shouldn’t they be embracing the strugglers?

Girls of the camp — ages 10 to 12 or so — put on a play for the church last week about good and evil. All the legalistic food rules (the growl, etc.) were included in the dialogue. These kids have been indoctrinated from a super-early age and will need a lot of help if they ever are able to escape.

1 hour ago, Alisamer said:

Agreed. I mean that photo with the massive forehead where you could see every hollow of her skull is creepy, and I hope if anyone from RF stumbles here and sees that maybe it'll occur to  them that that is NOT a normal look. The skeleton is meant to support the body, not BE the body. Food is fuel. Starvation is not godly. Gwen is not god.

I actually believe that if she was assessed by a professional, it is likely she would meet the criteria for an anorexia diagnosis. Yes, her mother is the one who pushed her to lose weight, but that doesn’t mean she isn’t anorexic. 

2 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I actually believe that if she was assessed by a professional, it is likely she would meet the criteria for an anorexia diagnosis. Yes, her mother is the one who pushed her to lose weight, but that doesn’t mean she isn’t anorexic. 

Oh, I'm sure she would be diagnosed as anorexic. BUT, she's not fighting anorexia. She's promoting it. She's a youth leader in a church that asks members who are overweight in any way to stay home and out of sight. Their church considers anyone overweight to be a bad example, so I have no problem with people here calling HER out as a real bad example, even in a snarky way.

It's not kind, and I do get that people's bodies should be their own business and not a subject of snark. But they've made body size a core tenet of their church, which I think opens them up to criticism more than the average person. 

And really, she does look just exactly like the Cryptkeeper in that one photo. And Gwen looks like a corpse in a fright wig. I'm really hoping some public photos show up from the wedding. 

I’m watching Gwen talking to three people about other diet (whole food veganism got the most bashed). She doesn’t believe in celiac disease!

I think we should keep in mind that Anorexia is not something one can just "snap out of." Just like depression or bi-polar disorder or anxiety. There is no quick or easy fix. No magic one-and-done prayer. Elizabeth's husband and parents should be ashamed of themselves for not getting her the help she clearly needs. Mocking her for being ill is not going to help.

Gwen Shamblin is a monster. Her cult physically and spiritually abuses people, including children. She passes fat-shaming off as God's directive. Such heresy! She really is a nasty piece of work.

No one is making fun of Elizabeth. We are all in shock by her gaunt appearance because it’s being held up as the ideal and a goal. Elizabeth went on the You Can Overcome show on Gwen’s stage (it and on Yotube) and bragged that she lost 30 lbs after her pregnancy. She was given pretty much a standing ovation and applause. This is very dangerous and needs to be called out. I say this as someone who has struggled with being underweight my whole life but now that I’m aging, I’m gaining weight and I’ve been experiencing eating disorder signs.

Elizabeth is not a random underweight person. She has been given a platform and a literal audience. She’s marketing her body and behavior as the goal.

Also, I believe her 4 kids are all girls. I worry for her daughters. This is a very psychologically damaging cult. Gwen also brags about her dietician credentials to make it all seem legitimate.

Elizabeth has a son. He’s the youngest and has the red curly hair. 

I worry a lot about all the young girls in the cult. However I also worry about the boys. Eating disorders may not be as common in boys but I bet this cult produces some males with eating disorders. The constant focus on food and weight has to affect them as well. Although maybe to a lesser degree because sexism. 

• laPapessaGiovanna locked this topic

Archived