IGNORED

Gwen Shamblin: Skinny for Jesus

nausicaa

On 7/27/2018 at 9:20 PM, Red Hair, Black Dress said:

What as the reason?  And where was this taught -- Miss Gwen's School of Manners and Remnant Fashion Rules?  Is this one of the pronouncements you had to follow because you had to be under Gwen's authority?

I realized the other day what bothered me about the RF wedding pictures.  The brides and bridesmaids seem to be wearing the same dresses. I don't mean they look similar, I mean the exact same dress,  There seem to be about 5 different styles of gowns and bridesmaids dresses and the brides/ maids look to be wearing and  re-wearing the dresses from wedding to wedding, 

Am I imagining things?  I envision a giant storage room of dresses and the bride and attendants are told to pick theirs from the racks.  Only sizes 00  - 6 are available though,.  The wedding colors for every wedding nearly all the same, so the bridesmaids dresses could be used again and again. 

The color thing was because it "looked better for God!" Gwen (and by extension Elizabeth) claimed it was more fashionable and timeless because you weren't following the current fashion trends.

As for the bridesmaids dresses, you are actually quite right. It was common to share bridesmaids dresses since everyone kept dresses for all the other events. So once you picked colors (well really Gwen picked) you would look at past weddings with similar colors and see if you could reuse bridesmaid dresses. I had no say in my dresses because I was told I was going to re-use ****'s bridesmaids dresses. 

On 7/27/2018 at 10:44 PM, SJWaterford said:

Makes me want to go out and get a few more tattoos that I can't cover up. I am def one of those people who is going to do the opposite of what you tell me to, if you make it a command. 

Tonight they are getting ready for the wedding of the 18 year old this weekend. Lots of cars at the Day's mansion. 

I am ashamed to say that we get tremendous satisfaction and therapy if we flip the church and Gwens house off when we have to go by them. 

I am in the same boat. One of the first things I wanted to do after leaving was getting a tattoo because it was something i wanted but was so taboo. I'm still planning and taking some time it because I want it to be special and actually kind of about breaking free of that crazy place. 

• Replies 602
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been following this thread for the last few days.  I did the WeighDown Workshop back in the late 90s with a group from my church.  I actually found it very helpful at the time - it really does make sense that God made our bodies to tell us when we are hungry and when we are full, and that if we just eat when we're actually hungry and stop when we're actually full, you should be able to maintain the right weight for your body.  But after a few years it became obvious that Gwen Shamblin was going off in a really weird direction so we stopped using her materials.  By 2001 it was clear that Gwen was starting her own cult. From time to time ever since I've checked on the internet to see what she's up to now.  And then my son married a girl from Nashville and they live there now, and I've actually driven by the Remnant church a few times.  Looking at the church and her own website again now, her hair, and the photos just get more bizarre. Anyway in the course of doing that this week I came across this forum. Thanks to you former Remnant members for sharing your experiences and I pray for healing in your lives.  What Gwen teaches is not the gospel of Jesus Christ.

And, someone may have already shared this and I missed it, but here is the divorce decree for her and David:  https://www.scribd.com/document/384435572/Gwen-Shamblin-Divorce-Final-Decree-of-Divorce

I had wondered where she was getting all her money as on the Remnant site she claims that she gave WD to the church, and that she takes no salary.  But from the divorce settlement it is clear that the Shamblins own a great deal of property, most of which I'd guess they get rental or lease income from.  

I feel so sorry for her ex-husband David. I can't imagine that he initiated the divorce given that he's put up with her nonsense for over 18 years, so why leave her now?  Poor guy - had probably a pretty normal marriage for about 20 years I'd guess, then his wife starts this huge business, then decides she is a prophetess and starts her own cult.  And that's been going on since at least about 2000.  And the fact that she has her new, younger husband waiting in the wings, ready to marry him just a few weeks after the divorce means she'd been already seeing him for some time.  So I'm guessing the divorce was her idea.  

Just looked at the divorce decree again and indeed, Gwen is the plaintiff and David the defendant. 

10 minutes ago, OlderWiserMom said:

And, someone may have already shared this and I missed it, but here is the divorce decree for her and David:  https://www.scribd.com/document/384435572/Gwen-Shamblin-Divorce-Final-Decree-of-Divorce

I had wondered where she was getting all her money as on the Remnant site she claims that she gave WD to the church, and that she takes no salary.  But from the divorce settlement it is clear that the Shamblins own a great deal of property, most of which I'd guess they get rental or lease income from.  

I feel so sorry for her ex-husband David. I can't imagine that he initiated the divorce given that he's put up with her nonsense for over 18 years, so why leave her now?  Poor guy - had probably a pretty normal marriage for about 20 years I'd guess, then his wife starts this huge business, then decides she is a prophetess and starts her own cult.  And that's been going on since at least about 2000.  And the fact that she has her new, younger husband waiting in the wings, ready to marry him just a few weeks after the divorce means she'd been already seeing him for some time.  So I'm guessing the divorce was her idea.  

Just looked at the divorce decree again and indeed, Gwen is the plaintiff and David the defendant. 

Thanks for posting. Not poor David anymore — he’ll get more than 3 million paid out over the next three years and a ton of property! And his coffee grinder. (Reading the list of possessions he wanted made me giggle a little.)

But I know what you mean. Living with her/in that crazy situation as an overweight man/no -church member must have been pure hell.

Consensus is that Gwen ultimately left him to peruse a relationship a relationship with Joe Lara, the Tarzan actor, she’s reportedly marrying in August.

Interesting:  I looked up David Shamblin’s Facebook page today and gone are even his grandkids’ pictures. The only family member he is friends with is Erin Shamblin (no Michael, no Elizabeth, no Brandon), for whatever that is worth.

And for what it’s worth, Michael, who is rarely present anymore, also is not Facebook friends with his mother or Elizabeth.

19 minutes ago, OlderWiserMom said:

I've been following this thread for the last few days.  I did the WeighDown Workshop back in the late 90s with a group from my church.  I actually found it very helpful at the time - it really does make sense that God made our bodies to tell us when we are hungry and when we are full, and that if we just eat when we're actually hungry and stop when we're actually full, you should be able to maintain the right weight for your body.  But after a few years it became obvious that Gwen Shamblin was going off in a really weird direction so we stopped using her materials.  By 2001 it was clear that Gwen was starting her own cult. From time to time ever since I've checked on the internet to see what she's up to now.  And then my son married a girl from Nashville and they live there now, and I've actually driven by the Remnant church a few times.  Looking at the church and her own website again now, her hair, and the photos just get more bizarre. Anyway in the course of doing that this week I came across this forum. Thanks to you former Remnant members for sharing your experiences and I pray for healing in your lives.  What Gwen teaches is not the gospel of Jesus Christ.

One of the homes given to David in the divorce sits right next to a home currently for rent for $2,500 a month. So if they have many properties they are renting out for that kind of money, I imagine they can live on that money without needing Weigh Down money. 

5 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

One of the homes given to David in the divorce sits right next to a home currently for rent for $2,500 a month. So if they have many properties they are renting out for that kind of money, I imagine they can live on that money without needing Weigh Down money. 

I always guessed that Gwen does make an income on the books she writes too. I think that’s how it works with other prominent church leaders that don’t take a salary (like Osteen)?

She must bring in at least $2 million a year in order to be ordered to pay David $1 million+ per year for three years. Right?

Also, their house was free. They have mostly older cars. I’m sure she doesn’t have to pay for much with so many church volunteers at her disposal.

A few of their properties in Brentwood were given to them. They have other properties too. These are just the Brentwood ones:

032EDE64-75EB-4737-8F87-66FB2EA86B68.jpeg

7 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

A few of their properties in Brentwood were given to them. They have other properties too. These are just the Brentwood ones:

032EDE64-75EB-4737-8F87-66FB2EA86B68.jpeg

Who are these people just *giving* homes — including their mansion residence  —  to Gwen Shamblin?! 

4 minutes ago, sajetime said:

Who are these people just giving homes — including their mansion residence  —  to the Shamblins?!

Cult followers I’m sure. It’s pretty common in cults for followers to give money and gifts to the beloved leader. I always wonder if they’ve regretted it since. 

No Gwen is not teaching about Jesus or about any God but Gwen.  She misrepresents two of the three Abrahamic religions and it is sickening to see the damage her false teachings do to those who follow her.  Note to self: get a referral to an RD and go to WW and avoid the woo and false teachers.  :) Huge kudos to those who left and prayers for the ones caught in her web of lies.

My daughter in law formerly was in the same church as the family of Elizabeth's husband Brandon and knows the family.  She said that the family is allowed only limited contact with Brandon, and maybe the grandkids, but they have to be super careful not to criticize Gwen or Remnant in any way. 

2 hours ago, OlderWiserMom said:

My daughter in law formerly was in the same church as the family of Elizabeth's husband Brandon and knows the family.  She said that the family is allowed only limited contact with Brandon, and maybe the grandkids, but they have to be super careful not to criticize Gwen or Remnant in any way. 

I get the impression that Brandon’s mother Jenny also is in Remnant. I can’t tell about his father Gene. His sister Brittney does not appear to be a member.

hot off the sewing machine last night, a close up the pocket of my new capri pants.  They have a few more colors then 3...

Spoiler

1846738599_unnamedcopy.thumb.jpg.f770ed022b73afa97893dbebb791b41f.jpg

40 minutes ago, LovelyLuna said:

hot off the sewing machine last night, a close up the pocket of my new capri pants.  They have a few more colors then 3...

Hide contents

1846738599_unnamedcopy.thumb.jpg.f770ed022b73afa97893dbebb791b41f.jpg

Are those skulls?! If so, Gwen would hate even more. She forbids the celebration of Halloween.

For RFSurvivors: Did you get a closeted homosexual vibe from any members of Remnant’s upper echelon?

There are a couple men — not high-ranking leaders but prominent (meaning they sometimes do opening prayers/have given testimonies/appear on the YCO show) — who really give me that impression.

It could also be that they are emasculated as members of a cult.

31 minutes ago, sajetime said:

Are those skulls?! If so, Gwen would hate even more. She forbids the celebration of Halloween.

yes skulls, not appropriate church atire, but I would go to a meeting in them.  I’m delighted she would hate me. 

3 hours ago, sajetime said:

I get the impression that Brandon’s mother Jenny also is in Remnant. I can’t tell about his father Gene. His sister Brittney does not appear to be a member.

I may have it backwards - it may be the wife of Michael - I'll have to ask her.  

What I remember about Gwen from the tapes and videos in the 90s is that she had this really annoying Tennessee hog-caller voice, mispronounced a lot of words and had terrible grammar.  But I kept telling myself, "Don't be a snob.  You can still learn from someone who does't talk like you.".  And she had a sort of folksy, down-home charm too at that time.  I do remember being irritated while listening to one of her tapes when she was talking about a passage in 2 Kings about Elisha, and kept referring to the "Arminians" rather than the "Arameans".  She was definitely one of those people who was very sure of her self, very self-confident, even though she displayed a lot of ignorance in many areas. Many studies have shown that self-confidence is often inversely proportional to competence. But she does have a certain charisma and has been able to hoodwink a lot of people, and I'm sure she believes herself that she is right.  As someone else said it is the height of hubris to believe that every Christian, every theologian and scholar since the 1st century has been wrong and only she, a dietician from Tennessee is the only one who has the truth. 

25 minutes ago, OlderWiserMom said:

I may have it backwards - it may be the wife of Michael - I'll have to ask her.  

What I remember about Gwen from the tapes and videos in the 90s is that she had this really annoying Tennessee hog-caller voice, mispronounced a lot of words and had terrible grammar.  

Erin Shamblin’s father Terry Shamblin was a Church of Christ minister at Gwen’s former church, and I believe he lives in Florida now. I can only imagine what he thinks of Gwen and her theology and her dominion over his daughter’s life.

And yes. Gwen has always been grammatically challenged. I cringe whenever she says, “Please join Candace and *I* in welcoming (subservient Remnant member name here) to the stage” on the YCO show.

Speaking of Candace and Tedd Anger — how is their last name really pronounced? In early recordings, they are called Anger, like rage/fury. But at some point, they became the “An-jay” family. I just know that had to be Gwen’s doing. Right? Like she didn’t like a member of her leadership having a negative name, so she changed it to faux-French, like Tar-jay?!

Reading about Gwen and watching her videos has really triggered anorexia-like, Gwen sanctioned behavior in me. When I’m hungry, I eat, but then question:

“Was it TOO much?”

”Was I really hungry?”

”Should I eat since I feel hungry but don’t hear ‘the GROWL’?”

”Is this true hunger?”

Being a member would be really depressing. I bet the mental scars of former members are unbearable. 

3 hours ago, luv2laugh said:

Reading about Gwen and watching her videos has really triggered anorexia-like, Gwen sanctioned behavior in me.

I’m so sorry, luv2laugh! I hope you’ll feel better soon❤️

8 hours ago, sajetime said:

Erin Shamblin’s father Terry Shamblin was a Church of Christ minister at Gwen’s former church, and I believe he lives in Florida now. I can only imagine what he thinks of Gwen and her theology and her dominion over his daughter’s life.

And yes. Gwen has always been grammatically challenged. I cringe whenever she says, “Please join Candace and *I* in welcoming (subservient Remnant member name here) to the stage” on the YCO show.

Speaking of Candace and Tedd Anger — how is their last name really pronounced? In early recordings, they are called Anger, like rage/fury. But at some point, they became the “An-jay” family. I just know that had to be Gwen’s doing. Right? Like she didn’t like a member of her leadership having a negative name, so she changed it to faux-French, like Tar-jay?!

Seeing that her daughter quit going by Michelle and now goes by Elizabeth, it wouldn’t surprise me if they changed the pronunciation. 

And I believe you didn’t mean to call Erin Shamblin’s father Terry Shamblin. Since Shamblin is Erin’s married (not maiden) name.

8 hours ago, luv2laugh said:

Reading about Gwen and watching her videos has really triggered anorexia-like, Gwen sanctioned behavior in me. When I’m hungry, I eat, but then question:

“Was it TOO much?”

”Was I really hungry?”

”Should I eat since I feel hungry but don’t hear ‘the GROWL’?”

”Is this true hunger?”

Being a member would be really depressing. I bet the mental scars of former members are unbearable. 

This is what following Gwen leads to ... 

This photo was one included as a post on the Hannahs in a “Meet the Leaders” series they’re doing on the Remnnat Yourh Facebook page.

Elizabeth looks so skeletal, unwell, gaunt and ghastly. And essentially they’re telling the youth this is what you should aspire to?!

F26DA90C-54C8-493B-BBAB-61A407130077.jpeg

3 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Seeing that her daughter quit going by Michelle and now goes by Elizabeth, it wouldn’t surprise me if they changed the pronunciation. 

And I believe you didn’t mean to call Erin Shamblin’s father Terry Shamblin. Since Shamblin is Erin’s married (not maiden) name.

Nail on the head. I remember when this happened. It was a local meeting and Gwen said we are going to start pronouncing Anger differently because it was a less harsh way to say it and it would be more glorifying to god. There was another family who even changed their last name at the same time. 

21 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Right — Terry Frisby is his name. Thanks!

2 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

1 hour ago, RFsurvivor said:

Nail on the head. I remember when this happened. It was a local meeting and Gwen said we are going to start pronouncing Anger differently because it was a less harsh way to say it and it would be more glorifying to god. There was another family who even changed their last name at the same time. 

Yes, even names are something Gwen could decide to control.

The other family that changed their last name at the same time had the last name Heck.  They were also in a leadership position.  So yea, two of the top leader families went by Anger and Heck.  That didn't sound very godly for a set of Remnant leaders.  So changes were made.  Tedd and Candance Anger changed the pronunciation to 'On-Jay' and the Heck's changed their last name to Maxwell.

*The Heck's/Maxwell's (and an additional set of leaders) actually left Remnant a handful of years ago in the midst of all that was going on with Michael Shamblin.  They knew too much and even they (devoted leaders who sang Gwen's praises constantly in public) couldn't take it anymore.  Sadly, the rest of the Remnant members didn't know the details/the extent of all that went on behind the scenes.

2 hours ago, WorseThan1Thinks said:

Yes, even names are something Gwen could decide to control.

The other family that changed their last name at the same time had the last name Heck.  They were also in a leadership position.  So yea, two of the top leader families went by Anger and Heck.  That didn't sound very godly for a set of Remnant leaders.  So changes were made.  Tedd and Candance Anger changed the pronunciation to 'On-Jay' and the Heck's changed their last name to Maxwell.

*The Heck's/Maxwell's (and an additional set of leaders) actually left Remnant a handful of years ago in the midst of all that was going on with Michael Shamblin.  They knew too much and even they (devoted leaders who sang Gwen's praises constantly in public) couldn't take it anymore.  Sadly, the rest of the Remnant members didn't know the details/the extent of all that went on behind the scenes.

Do you know if they changed their name back to Heck after they left? I can’t imagine changing our family name for a cult and then leaving the cult. I imagine there’s a lot of regret in that family. 

• laPapessaGiovanna locked this topic

Archived