IGNORED

Kendra and Joe Duggar 7: Not Pregnant Yet - Oops They Are Expecting

samurai_sarah

• Replies 608
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't see the point in taking pride in not taking any medication. Of course I agree that patients and doctors both often push for meds when they're really not needed, and I happen to also be one of those people who takes no medication and will bend over backwards to avoid it whenever possible - but some people need it. 'Big Pharma' has issues, for sure, but pharmaceuticals save lives on a regular basis, and I'm really not into shaming people for taking medication, even if they don't necessarily 'need' it. If it's improving their quality of life I'm willing to treat them like an adult capable of making their own decisions about their own body.

I think it is great if someone is very healthy and doesn’t need to take meds. And meds are great if you need them. 

And IMO, the Standard American Diet, SAD, does us no favors. I am working to try and change mine around. Not easy at all. 

44 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

I don't see the point in taking pride in not taking any medication. Of course I agree that patients and doctors both often push for meds when they're really not needed, and I happen to also be one of those people who takes no medication and will bend over backwards to avoid it whenever possible - but some people need it. 'Big Pharma' has issues, for sure, but pharmaceuticals save lives on a regular basis, and I'm really not into shaming people for taking medication, even if they don't necessarily 'need' it. If it's improving their quality of life I'm willing to treat them like an adult capable of making their own decisions about their own body.

Thank you! I completely understand that pharmaceutical companies do push medications and likely on people who don’t need it. If someone does have a health problem that could be fixed with diet and exercise, that’s great, but it’s not right to tell someone who maybe works full time or has kids or is in school full time to do what you think is right. To be frank, what medications other people take is none of anyone’s business except doctors and patients.

I’ve been told by a bunch of idiots who know nothing that I don’t need medication. I have bipolar ii and am on six medications that barely make a dent in controlling it. Do I need therapy? Yes. Are you going to pay for it since I can’t afford it? No? Conversation over. 

(Sorry, I just get really passionate about this stuff! I know people mean well and aren’t entirely off, but other people’s health problems and how they deal with them just isn’t your business and guilting people for it is just plain sad. We’re all just trying to get by.)

Oh, FFS. I'm not shaming anyone for taking meds if they're needed. I'm simply pointing out how fucking RARE it is for someone of my (advanced) age not to be taking any meds AT ALL. I had a doctor tell me he was putting every one of his patients on statins because of the benefits of the drugs. I fired him as my doc because why take something that's not NEEDED? (See my comment above about a sleeping pill.)

Further:

And can I just say how sick to fucking death I am of all this "shaming" talk when someone has an opinion that's different from the masses? Not pointing fingers at you @singsingsing - it's just that in the past couple of years, "shaming" has become synonymous with "disagreeing" or pointing out a difference of opinion. 

6 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

Oh, FFS. I'm not shaming anyone for taking meds if they're needed. I'm simply pointing out how fucking RARE it is for someone of my (advanced) age not to be taking any meds AT ALL. I had a doctor tell me he was putting every one of his patients on statins because of the benefits of the drugs. I fired him as my doc because why take something that's not NEEDED? (See my comment above about a sleeping pill.)

Further:

And can I just say how sick to fucking death I am of all this "shaming" talk when someone has an opinion that's different from the masses? Not pointing fingers at you @singsingsing - it's just that in the past couple of years, "shaming" has become synonymous with "disagreeing" or pointing out a difference of opinion. 

If you’re talking about my post, I’m not pointing fingers. There was lots of talk about medications and whatnot so I put in my two cents about a common thing that is said both online and real life. I respect your opinion and even conceded that drugs are pushed and not always rightfully so. 

I think the reason why the term “shaming” comes up often in regards to things like this is because it hits close to home and is very personal to people like me and my friends and family who deal with chronic illness and are shamed for our needs/choices. 

As pretty much always, I respect and appreciate differences in opinion and open conversation. 

1 hour ago, Bad Wolf said:

Try being almost 70 and no meds. Except for supplements like calcium.

My mother is 71 and is on no meds, that old bitch will live to be 120.  She HATES taking pills, but LOVES going to the doctor, she's a hypochondriac but won't do what it necessary to fix the problem. She prefers to complain about it.  She has sleep apnea but refuses to wear a c-pap machine, because. she deaf AF but refuses to wear hearing aids because.  She had minor surgery and refused the pain meds, but then complained of the pain then got mad when we told her to take the pain meds. She makes no sense. She is that person who just likes to bitch, about EVERYTHING.

I have a sister in law who takes no meds saying she "doesn't believe in them" (what, they don't exist?), won't take the flu vaccine even though we have asked her to do so because we will have a preemie in January, she claims it will give her the flu.

If you have never taken medication, great, be very, very grateful for your good luck. 

I, on the other hand, can't survive without insulin and can't survive without blood thinners because I have a genetic blood clotting disorder. I also don't get the pride of saying you haven't used drugs, it's just kind of...dumb luck to be honest.

50 minutes ago, AtlanticTug said:

I have a sister in law who takes no meds saying she "doesn't believe in them" (what, they don't exist?), won't take the flu vaccine even though we have asked her to do so because we will have a preemie in January, she claims it will give her the flu.

If you have never taken medication, great, be very, very grateful for your good luck. 

I, on the other hand, can't survive without insulin and can't survive without blood thinners because I have a genetic blood clotting disorder. I also don't get the pride of saying you haven't used drugs, it's just kind of...dumb luck to be honest.

I know I probably don’t need to tell you this, but as one preemie Mom to another - do NOT allow anyone without the Flu vaccine or TDAP near your baby until your child has at least had their vaccinations. This is important for any baby, but especially for preemies and any baby who has a NICU stay. We didn’t allow anyone who hadn’t gotten their Flu and TDAP vaccinations to visit Velocibaby in NICU, mostly because it would have put all the babies there at risk. They also weren’t allowed to hold her or be in close proximity until she had her shots. No one gave us any trouble about it, but I wouldn’t have cared even if they had. My baby’s health and safety comes first. 

Best of luck to you during the rest of your pregnancy and the delivery. Here’s hoping everything goes well and you both recover quickly. :) 

Just now, VelociRapture said:

I know I probably don’t need to tell you this, but as one preemie Mom to another - do NOT allow anyone without the Flu vaccine or TDAP near your baby until your child has at least had their vaccinations. This is important for any baby, but especially for preemies and any baby who has a NICU stay. We didn’t allow anyone who hadn’t gotten their Flu and TDAP vaccinations to visit Velocibaby in NICU, mostly because it would have put all the babies there at risk. They also weren’t allowed to hold her or be in close proximity until she had her shots. No one gave us any trouble about it, but I wouldn’t have cared even if they had. My baby’s health and safety comes first. 

Best of luck to you during the rest of your pregnancy and the delivery. Here’s hoping everything goes well and you both recover quickly. :) 

Thanks. She has the TDAP and so do all grandparents and aunts/uncles as we've had lots of babies in the family in the last few years. I guess her OB insisted on the TDAP when she was pregnant 2 years ago so she relented. But she refuses to vaccinate against the flu even though she has a 1-month old and 2-year old at home. Because of complications of placental insufficiency and diabetes, I have to have a c-section much earlier than I had hoped and we have made it super clear that everybody needs a flu shot. So far everybody but her has gotten one. I can't tell you how much stress this is causing me - I am at the point where I don't want her to even visit until after flu season because I know full well that if she is here, somebody will pass the baby to her. She is an impossible person to deal with, very difficult and nobody wants to stand up to her and tell here where to go. It's just so selfish in this instance.

13 minutes ago, AtlanticTug said:

Thanks. She has the TDAP and so do all grandparents and aunts/uncles as we've had lots of babies in the family in the last few years. I guess her OB insisted on the TDAP when she was pregnant 2 years ago so she relented. But she refuses to vaccinate against the flu even though she has a 1-month old and 2-year old at home. Because of complications of placental insufficiency and diabetes, I have to have a c-section much earlier than I had hoped and we have made it super clear that everybody needs a flu shot. So far everybody but her has gotten one. I can't tell you how much stress this is causing me - I am at the point where I don't want her to even visit until after flu season because I know full well that if she is here, somebody will pass the baby to her. She is an impossible person to deal with, very difficult and nobody wants to stand up to her and tell here where to go. It's just so selfish in this instance.

Let her throw a tantrum all she wants. This is your baby and your rules need to be respected. If she’s not willing to get vaccinated that’s her choice, but she also gets to deal with the consequences of not being near the baby for however long you feel is best. 

If it helps, the NICU Nurses told us to just blame them if anyone gave us trouble. You could try doing that by saying your OBGYN/Pediatrician has specifically ordered you not to let anyone unvaccinated near the baby. 

On 11/27/2017 at 9:31 PM, nastyhobbitses said:

Re marijuana as medicine: it's definitely helped a lot of friends of mine who have various ailments, but I'm skeptical of the people who act like it's a magical panacea. I'm sure it helps with inflammation and pain, and it definitely mellows you the hell out, but I doubt that it's a cure-all.

I have one of my cats taking CBD oil fors eizures. I’ve reduced her phenobarbital by 25%, very, VERY slowly, but I know it’s not likely to cure her. She had a pretty bad head injury at around eight weeks old, which is how wound up with her. I fostered her at first, but not a lot of takers for a kitten with (at the time, uncontrolled) epilepsy. No THC.

I’ve just started my dog who has cancer on it, along with the Essiac she’s been on since her diagnosis back in July. It could all be snake oil, but I feel I have to give her a chance, and at 12 &1/2 aggressive treatments weren’t even advised by the vet.

@SamiKatz Here's a good place to start on daith piercings. https://americanmigrainefoundation.org/understanding-migraine/daith-piercings-101/

It seems to work for a very small number of people (like @SapphireSlytherin's DD), but the efficacy isn't established. Not that it really matters, migraines are chimeric beasts even in the same person (my brain has three different diagnosed headaches to ruin my day), so if you find it works that's fabulous. If your shoulders and neck knot up during your headaches, I've found the botox helps with that since they inject there to prevent it (saving me from having to take a muscle relaxer!).

Flu shots and babies, I've never had the flu, nor has anyone in my family, but that doesn't mean I'm not walking around as a carrier and could very easily give it to someone else. I believe the shots are free as well, so there's no reason not to get one. 

On 2017-11-29 at 6:21 PM, BabyFactoryClosing said:

Yeeeup. My fundie lite church was this way. No yoga because its pagan and will let Satan in, DEFINITELY no meditating because an empty mind lets Satan in. Actually just don't do anything other than read the bible and go to church or you'll let Satan in. It's an exhausting way to live.

I would be so bored I'd let him in just for company. 

1 hour ago, AtlanticTug said:

I can't tell you how much stress this is causing me - I am at the point where I don't want her to even visit until after flu season because I know full well that if she is here, somebody will pass the baby to her. She is an impossible person to deal with, very difficult and nobody wants to stand up to her and tell here where to go. It's just so selfish in this instance.

Mom of a preemie here - NO ONE got to my kid without going through the gauntlet. You will be up to date on your shots. You WILL wash your hands before holding my bambino and you WILL double up on hand sanitizer. Your kid, your rules. I don't care if it makes her uncomfy.

And we were militant about washing/sterilizing for a long time - till I saw him pick up his paci from the floor with his mouth after licking the cat. Okay then. Your immune system is good to go.

(also best of luck to you!!)

I’m not huge on the flu vaccine, especially with the number of kids in my circle who have had bad reactions to it, but babies and the flu is no joke. My MIL gave it to my 3 month old last winter. I wanted to shake her (my MIL not my baby) :my_angry:

I had never gotten the flu vaccine before but I got it this year because I volunteer in an ER. Last week my mom got the flu and since then everyone else in the family has gone down with it except me. It has definitely convinced us all of the efficacy of the flu vaccine and my mom has said that she'll be first in line for it next year.

Regarding medications, I think it's absolutely fine to be happy that you don't need any. I think it's possible though that people who don't have to take medication might not realize that it can be kind of a sensitive subject for those who do. I'm in my 20's and take four medications on a daily basis. I'm incredibly grateful for them because they have absolutely given me my life back and I feel great when I'm on them. I very frequently encounter people who disparage the type of medications I use, however, and it's easy to be defensive about it.

Between T1 diabetes and asthma, I've never really gotten a choice when it comes to the flu vaccine, I just kind of get it every year. I don't mind. I have had some horrible side effects from the pneumococcal vaccine though (which I have to get even though I'm young because of my asthma) and so I'm not looking forward to that one again in a few years. So as a huge proponent of vaccines, I don't mind though and I'm obviously good with needles. I wish they would let me give myself the shot though but they always say, no ;)

My family always gets flu shots but last year we were too late and found out the hard way that we were exposed shortly before we were vaccinated (late November). The husband and older daughter have asthma and both wound up with pneumonia. Daughter had to reschedule three final exams. We will never be late for the shot again.

Very unrelated: I keep misreading daith piercings as "death piercings". Might need new glasses.

@momofsquid ouch! Almost every year I seem to catch some kind of respiratory bug and end up with severe bronchitis in hospital. The recovery period can be so long and I often still cough/have breathing issues for up to three months. The worst part for me is actually having to sit out when it comes to sports though and getting very impatient waiting to be cleared for physical activity again. I hope it all worked out for your daughter and her final exams and that both recovered fairly quickly. 

2 hours ago, Meggo said:

Mom of a preemie here - NO ONE got to my kid without going through the gauntlet. You will be up to date on your shots. You WILL wash your hands before holding my bambino and you WILL double up on hand sanitizer. Your kid, your rules. I don't care if it makes her uncomfy.

And we were militant about washing/sterilizing for a long time - till I saw him pick up his paci from the floor with his mouth after licking the cat. Okay then. Your immune system is good to go.

(also best of luck to you!!)

We were the same way, especially my husband. Then I started sending him photos of the dog open mouth kissing the baby, who was clearly laughing and sticking her tongue out to be kissed. He kind of eased up on the militant sanitation after that. :pb_lol:

3 hours ago, Lizzybet said:

I have one of my cats taking CBD oil fors eizures. 

I’ve recently started taking CBD oil (100% legal; no THC) for chronic pain and it has worked well, particularly with nerve pain. I was a huge skeptic before my massage therapist used some in his coconut oil and it seemed to help, so I gave it a go. That said, it smells pretty marijuana-y and that makes me paranoid that I smell like it. 

31 minutes ago, MakeItSo said:

@momofsquid ouch! Almost every year I seem to catch some kind of respiratory bug and end up with severe bronchitis in hospital. The recovery period can be so long and I often still cough/have breathing issues for up to three months. The worst part for me is actually having to sit out when it comes to sports though and getting very impatient waiting to be cleared for physical activity again. I hope it all worked out for your daughter and her final exams and that both recovered fairly quickly. 

Ugh I'm so sorry hun ~ as a fellow asthmatic, I feel your pain!!
I literally remember years and years of school, and being picked last, because I couldn't keep up ~ I just couldn't go from 0 to 60 right away, and even now, would kill over trying to do a HIIT workout :P  (but there's lots of other things I can do!)  So good for you for sticking with it, even with all those hurdles!!

** Random side story related to sports/asthma: With all that being said, it all changed for me in my senior year when I took that one required gym class to graduate (I put it off, like a dork, because I didn't want to deal with the self consciousness that I had with sports).  My gym teacher was AMAZING!  Instead of trying to make me do 0 to 60 stuff, she had me do a little bit each day - the others would do a game, or climb ropes, and I'd be walking around the track, at a leisurely pace.  Then over the next few weeks, get up to fast walking, then jogging, and then running!  By the end of the three month class, I was playing field hockey with everyone else, just fine :D I still think of her fondly, as someone who helped me understand my own body better - not just its limitations, but its capabilities as well (we all need people like that in our lives!)

@Fun Undies very cool! I'm so glad to hear you had a supportive gym teacher who saw your potential and let you develop at your own pace. My coach also has me keep up with cardio training especially, during the off-season. I have noticed when I stop working out I lose my conditioning fairly quickly and my lungs grow overall weaker. I don't have exercise-induced asthma though, which I am thankful for, but I can imagine how that would cause all kinds of additional hurdles. The number one thing seems to be knowing your limits and slowly working your way up. 

What fascinates me is that most everyone here is dealing with one or more health issues (and seeing mine in writing without having met me, can sure seems like I'm all sorts of "broken"), but it makes you realize that life happens and you still do all the things you do. And yet society often looks at chronically ill people with pity and even some doctors seem to be totally surprised at all the things we "overcome", when (for me at least) this is my normal and so I just make some adaptations and life goes on. This does not mean that all the effort we put forth to handle chronic illnesses should not be acknowledged. Quite the opposite. :) 

I do find that people seem to ask more questions overall related to physical and mental health (the internet probably being a big part of that) and that makes me happy. Questions can lead to answers, which can lead to understanding. Exactly what this world needs. :)

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived