IGNORED

Kendra and Joe Duggar 7: Not Pregnant Yet - Oops They Are Expecting

samurai_sarah

21 hours ago, VineHeart137 said:

@singsingsing I'm due mid-June. Still got a couple weeks to go before I hit second tri so I'm waiting for a December announcement from one of them. Definitely wouldn't be shocked to see one from Jessa!

I was due the exact same day as Jessa in 2015 and now I am due within about a week of Joy, give or take depending on when she is actually due. 

I totally expect a Christmas announcement from somebody in that family.

• Replies 608
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, AtlanticTug said:

I was due the exact same day as Jessa in 2015 and now I am due within about a week of Joy, give or take depending on when she is actually due. 

I totally expect a Christmas announcement from somebody in that family.

Congrats! Hope all is going well! Yeah between Kendra, Jessa, Jinger, heck why not throw Amy into the running. I'll be surprised if there isn't another announcement before the new year.

If I could get a dollar for every time someone asks if I've tried cinnamon to cure my type 1 diabetes, I'd already be making a nice dent into my student loan repayments... somehow, when people find out you have an autoimmune disease/chronic illness, everyone turns into a Licensed Medical Professional.:5624795033223_They-see-me-rollinroll:

Edited because I can't grammar today...

7 minutes ago, MakeItSo said:

If I could get a dollar for every time someone asks if I've tried cinnamon to cure my type 1 diabetes, I'd already be making a nice dent into my student loan repayments... somehow, when people find out you have an autoimmune disease/chronic illness, everyone turns into a Licensed Medical Professional.:5624795033223_They-see-me-rollinroll:

So have you tried cinnamon??  I found it really helps me!!

/sarcasm

1 minute ago, karen77 said:

So have you tried cinnamon??  I found it really helps me!!

/sarcasm

my friend's nephew's cousin's son's dog had diabetes and they fed him a special kind of dog food. Thought about trying that...

(would also love a dollar for every time someone tells me they had a cat or dog that had diabetes...I mean, seriously???)

9 hours ago, louisa05 said:

And do yoga. Yoga cures everything. But you need to supplement it with regular sound baths.

I've got a fundie-lyte friend who won't do yoga because relaxing your mind could let satan in. It's like if you're relaxed, BAM! He'll sneak up on you and get inside you. 

4 minutes ago, fluffernutter said:

I've got a fundie-lyte friend who won't do yoga because relaxing your mind could let satan in. It's like if you're relaxed, BAM! He'll sneak up on you and get inside you. 

Is that what happened to me?!?@?#?

1 hour ago, fluffernutter said:

I don't do yoga because it is fricking boring and I cannot relax in a room full of people. Just can't do it. I've tried it. (And now is when someone explains to me that I tried the wrong kind of yoga or the wrong teachers --they were not my batshit crazy sister-in-law FTR-- or whatever and I must try again because "thou shalt do yoga" is like the eleventh commandment now). 

Also, I hate woo. And yoga is pure woo. If you go to a mainstream health club or a Y or someplace like that, then you are probably getting woo free yoga. SiL turned down a well paying gig teaching at the Y in her town because they do not allow the woo part there. She would not be able to explain to you that you have to open the fourth chakra in October to prepare the body for cold temperatures or that whatever dumbass pose will detoxify your liver while giving your aura room for gratitude. So she continues to make no money teaching in her own studio in order to maintain full yoga woo. 

1 hour ago, fluffernutter said:

All the Om chanting is Satan's Lube.

24 minutes ago, louisa05 said:

Also, I hate woo. And yoga is pure woo. If you go to a mainstream health club or a Y or someplace like that, then you are probably getting woo free yoga. SiL turned down a well paying gig teaching at the Y in her town because they do not allow the woo part there. She would not be able to explain to you that you have to open the fourth chakra in October to prepare the body for cold temperatures or that whatever dumbass pose will detoxify your liver while giving your aura room for gratitude. So she continues to make no money teaching in her own studio in order to maintain full yoga woo. 

....you lost me at the first “woo”.... :pb_lol:

2 hours ago, MakeItSo said:

Wooow. I understand completely. Also Type 1 and I get told all of the time I can be cured by going vegan and/or gluten free. If cinnamon was a cure trust me I'd be all over it.

Long-time type 2 diabetic here. Diet is always stressed by my mainstream health care professionals. However, many of us choose not follow the dietary recommendations and need the meds. It's not a pharmaceutical industry conspiracy to prevent health care professionals from recommending non-drug management of diabetes. A dietician is part of any quality diabetes clinic.

Cinnamon is not a cure but testing is showing positive impact on blood sugar levels. I happen to love the stuff, so it's all good!

My yoga instructor also does craniosacral therapy. Luckily her yoga classes don't involve any woo, she runs them like any other workout class. I once made the mistake of mentioning that I have chronic ear infections though (which I'm working with an ENT for). I avoided being talked into a therapy session by saying my insurance wouldn't cover it. Now I just do my yoga and get out of there!

2 hours ago, louisa05 said:

*snip*

Also, I hate woo. And yoga is pure woo. If you go to a mainstream health club or a Y or someplace like that, then you are probably getting woo free yoga. 

Sorry but I'm not really understanding the end of this section. Do you mean like "woo! Free yoga!" or "woo-free yoga?"

In any case, I don't want to push yoga on anyone and I get it that in most Western counties that happens aaaaaaall the time. At the same time, not all yoga classes are identical (to me at least), and it has such a rich, important history that I'd say it's a bit extreme to say "yoga is pure woo." 

I have to admit I'm extremely judgental about yoga classes. I generally hate yoga classes taught by young, sexy, often white people. Give me an old wrinkled yoga teacher who happens to be in great shape. Those classes are great. Just my experience, haha, apologies if prejudiced. I'll try anything once, to be clear.

I've seen a lot of doctors say that they try to push diet and exercise as a first resort but they get resistance from patients and administrators who stress patient satisfaction rates above everything (which is a terrible way to judge doctors). Doctors who prescribe a lot of medication get better satisfaction scores so it's a lot easier to just prescribe the pills people want. An example I've seen a lot is patients coming in with something like a cold wanting to be prescribed antibiotics even though they don't need them, and unfortunately it's easier for a doctor to comply and make the patient feel like the doctor is doing something than to tell the patient that there's no medication that can help, which can be unsatisfying for the patient and risk the patient giving the doctor poor satisfaction scores and/or bad online reviews that jeopardize the doctor's career. 

Lifestyle change is also a lot harder than taking a pill and, especially when weight is involved, it can be a sensitive subject. I also know that for me sometimes when someone says that I need to change my diet and exercise habits to fix my health problems it can feel like they're saying that it's my fault that I have those issues, while I don't typically get that impression from someone suggesting that I try a particular medication or treatment.

4 hours ago, BlondeIdol said:

Wooow. I understand completely. Also Type 1 and I get told all of the time I can be cured by going vegan and/or gluten free. If cinnamon was a cure trust me I'd be all over it.

oh cool, :562479b1e2079_Whyhullothurwave: a 'betes buddy :D I also happen to be a celiac and can attest that going gluten free also did not cure my T1 lol

I do understand that people mean well, but are just terribly misguided. Another favourite is, "but...you're young and skinny...you don't look diabetic." :sigh: all types of diabetes (and there are more than just two types) come in all shapes and sizes and on most days, I have no issues educating the masses with humour on such things :) , but when I'm fighting with high blood sugars and ketones after 3 pump site failures, I just really am not ready to hear about some magic diet and I probably won't have the patience in that moment to explain the intricacies and complexities of it all. 

11 hours ago, fluffernutter said:

That sounds like a horrible way to live. Always scared of letting satan in to your head. What about when you sleep? Isn't that too relaxed?

8 hours ago, NakedKnees said:

(snip)

I have to admit I'm extremely judgental about yoga classes. I generally hate yoga classes taught by young, sexy, often white people. Give me an old wrinkled yoga teacher who happens to be in great shape. Those classes are great. Just my experience, haha, apologies if prejudiced. I'll try anything once, to be clear.

I feel the same way. I know it's stupid of me, but I get annoyed with how trendy yoga is and the population I associate it with. Maybe I just feel the need to be a v special snowflake or something. 

I'd probably really benefit from practicing yoga... I have trouble getting past my petty, judgemental butthurt. 

(Not calling you petty, btw. :my_shy:)

22 hours ago, louisa05 said:

And do yoga. Yoga cures everything. But you need to supplement it with regular sound baths.

And add some Young Living Oils and you'll never ever get sick.

I can't do most kinds of yoga (I have arthritis in my knees and they don't bend all the way) - but my surgeon recommended restorative yoga, which I love.  It's pretty much relaxing in a darkened room with Tibetan singing bows in the background (at least the one I tried).  Before my knees got really bad I did other forms of yoga and found it relaxing.

Unfortunately, all of my yoga teachers have been white, so I guess that doesn't count as real yoga though ;)

9 hours ago, Rachel333 said:

Doctors who prescribe a lot of medication get better satisfaction scores so it's a lot easier to just prescribe the pills people want. An example I've seen a lot is patients coming in with something like a cold wanting to be prescribed antibiotics even though they don't need them, and unfortunately it's easier for a doctor to comply and make the patient feel like the doctor is doing something than to tell the patient that there's no medication that can help, which can be unsatisfying for the patient and risk the patient giving the doctor poor satisfaction scores and/or bad online reviews that jeopardize the doctor's career. 

Oh God, this is my grandma to a T. Not the part about giving the doctor a bad score, but wanting to take pills for everything. I'm 100% sure that she's taking medication she doesn't actually need. Every time she gets a cold she wants antibiotics. Whenever I talk to her, if I say something like 'my stomach's kind of upset today' or 'my head feels kind of stuffy' right away she's asking me if I have anything to take for it, and telling me to TAKE SOMETHING! 

And regarding lifestyle changes... everything you said. This is a particularly sore topic for me at the moment, because my dad was recently diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes. He's definitely genetically predisposed to it, but the truth is that he probably could have prevented it (or at least significantly delayed its onset!) if he'd taken his health seriously. But for years he has worked a high stress job, long hours, he gets very little sleep, his diet sucks, he doesn't exercise, he travels constantly, he is an introvert who is forcing himself to live life as an extrovert, and before he was diagnosed he was clinically obese. Now he has diabetes and another issue that is possibly so scary that I don't even want to talk about it, and even before this I was sure he was going to have a heart attack. And all I can think is that he's in his mid-50s, his dad is going to be 90 next year and is healthy, and if my dad had just taken his health seriously maybe he wouldn't be suffering like he is now.

Ugh. Sorry for being such a downer, folks. :( I'll tell you one thing, though: watching my dad go through this has just brought home to me how important it is for me to take my health seriously and make positive lifestyle changes NOW. I'm a fairly healthy person already, but I'm now even more committed to improving my diet, exercising regularly, and managing my stress. There are absolutely no guarantees in life, and a 'healthy lifestyle' doesn't make you immune to anything, but it definitely lowers your risk of many things, and makes the time you have a lot more enjoyable.

34 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

if my dad had just taken his health seriously maybe he wouldn't be suffering like he is now.

This is MY dad. He has NEVER taken care of himself. He had a heart attack in his early 40s, has had two carotid artery bypasses, has had two heart caths, has Type 2 diabetes, has high cholesterol, has peripheral artery disease, had his aorta REPLACED, had his femoral arteries bypassed, eats junk food, smokes like a chimney, has never exercised (and can now barely walk), etc. He'll be 80 next month. Nobody understands how he's still alive (other than taking a zillion pills every day), while my mother dropped dead of a massive heart attack with ZERO history of heart problems. Their plan ALWAYS included her living alone after he died. Funny how the Fates decreed otherwise.

He lives for a pill to "fix" everything. When he heard that my cholesterol was borderline high two years ago, he told me to take a pill and keep on eating the stuff that I liked - but that didn't like ME. When he heard I was going gluten-free (by the way - French gluten affects me EXACTLY like American gluten, but I found out many French restaurants import their breads/flours from the USA), he told me to just take pills to "fix it." 

Lifestyle changes are hard, yall. But knowing what gluten does to me makes it easier to avoid it. I ate gluten over the weekend in Paris - hoping it was the same as UK gluten, but it's not, and now my skin is screaming. :(

My parents were born in 1916 and 1919 and firmly beleived in the magic of medicine, and were the youngest of their large families.  My mother made sure we had antibotics for everything.  She had a box of samples given to her by her MD brother and we swallowed pills for earaches,  colds, stomach viruses, etc.

But, thinking about it, in their lifetime pills were  the new fangled lifesavers.  My father had a sibling that died from tuberculosis, and another from complications after a burst appendix.   My dad was very scarred from acne. Two of my mother’s siblings had mastoid  infections with the resultant loss of hearing. 

I just looked it up and in the US antibiotics came in use in the late 1930’s,  if you were luckly to have access to them.

I give a pass to their generation and the next one for their unwavering belief in living life better with medicine because they were around when friends and family died from things we don’t even think about.

5 hours ago, Iamtheway said:

That sounds like a horrible way to live. Always scared of letting satan in to your head. What about when you sleep? Isn't that too relaxed?

Yeeeup. My fundie lite church was this way. No yoga because its pagan and will let Satan in, DEFINITELY no meditating because an empty mind lets Satan in. Actually just don't do anything other than read the bible and go to church or you'll let Satan in. It's an exhausting way to live.

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived