IGNORED

November Reading

formergothardite

I know the month is half way over, but what you reading this month?

I am reading The World Without Fish by Mark Kurlansky and The Last Neanderthal by Claire Cameron. 

I like to read one fiction and one non-fiction at once.

Fiction - The Once and Future King by T. H. White

Non-fiction- The Beauty Myth: How Images of Beauty Are Used Against Women by Naomi Wolf

I am currently reading Ian Doescher 's book The Empire Striketh Back and Gulp by Mary Roach. I am also always reading for work.

Currently reading Outside The Ordinary World by Dori Ostermiller. Near the end, and I still can't tell how it will end.

Still reading the over 800 page George Washington biography. I just took Sunshine on Scotland Street a 44  Scotland Street book.  The series is  cute and quirkey 

I'm rereading the Little House books because: Nostalgia. Reading them as a kid I never noticed how suuuuper racist Caroline Ingalls is. They are an easy read and mostly entertaining but I don't know if I would read them to any future children, lest they start repeating some of the backwards things coming out of Ma Ingalls' mouth. 

19 hours ago, Hufflepuffpride said:

I'm rereading the Little House books because: Nostalgia. Reading them as a kid I never noticed how suuuuper racist Caroline Ingalls is. They are an easy read and mostly entertaining but I don't know if I would read them to any future children, lest they start repeating some of the backwards things coming out of Ma Ingalls' mouth. 

I didn't remember the racism either until I decided to read them to my oldest daughter. Little House in the Big Woods isn't that bad and she enjoyed it. We ended up having to stop all the time and discuss what was being said and why Ma would say stuff like that when we started Little House on the Prairie. I never did finish reading the series to her. 

@formergothardite I would have to do the same. My sort-of-stepdaughter is quite smart. I would rather read Anne of Green Gables, or Ramona Quimby to her (She is reading Harry Potter right now, and I am so proud and excited for her!). If she showed an interest in the little house books I would not stop her, but would want to have discussions about why Caroline would say things like that. 

I'm currently reading The Fifth Season by N.K. Jemisin. Hard to describe... I don't usually read fantasy books, but this has been recommended heavily lately. I'm enjoying it, but will probably be reading it for a while since my schoolwork is taking over as the semester ends...

After being mind-boggled for a couple days reading the sci-fi novel "American Elsewhere" (discussed in the Strange Books thread), I am going to read a couple of non-fiction books to close out the month.

"Killers of the Flower Moon" by David Grann, subtitled "The Osage Murders and the Birth of the FBI."  Our daughter read this and passed it on to my husband, and they both are waiting for me to read it so we can all discuss this.  Pressure...lol.

I also bought a book called "How Jesus Became God" by Bart D. Ehrman.  I've seen his name mentioned on FJ, so hope to learn something.

I'm enjoying some true crime, while wondering what's wrong with me. I'm reading My Sweet Angel by John Glatt, it's the story of Lacey Spears who murdered her son Garrett. She had Munchausen syndrome by proxy, it's really sad. 

Archived