IGNORED

Seewalds 28: Marketing Kids as Deflection

Coconut Flan

14 minutes ago, Carm_88 said:

I honestly don't think Ben will end up like Derick. He kinda started with the hammer down and eased off. Of course, Ben had the being young thing going for him. I think they learned to keep the worst parts of their beliefs to themselves. Derick, just doesn't care, and he knows that his Mama will come to his defense. :penguin-no:

Ben has surprised me the most out of all the husband's. I think his family could go far if only they could manage to break free. I don't know if it will ever happen, but I'm happy Ben isn't like Derick. That gives me hope. 

• Replies 668
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ben was a kid when he was fist introduced to the show; A kid fresh from mommy and daddy's house. The same could not be said for Derick. Ben has grown up, while Derick is wallowing in self pity.

Probably will receive my first FJ down vote on this...

Ok I know this has been discussed on FJ before, but I had to bring it up with the Jessica Seewald discussion. Yes she voted for Trump. Hell no I did not vote for that bastard. On all measures I am a flaming liberal. But there were posts implying that she had no other identity or worth beyond that. I think that attitude was part of the problem in our last election. My favorite uncle/other relatives voted for Trump. Do I think that was the wrong choice? Abso-freaking-lutely. Have I challenged him on his statements about people who are LGBTQ+? Yes. Have I challenged him on his comments about Obama and his "unprecedented" use of executive orders? Yes. But he's also a human with positive qualities and the "What Now" resource on FJ talks about moving people from one end of the spectrum to the other. If I can talk with my family calmly about Trump then maybe we can make some progress instead of becoming even more divided.

If Jana wore a tube dress and stayed out unchaperoned with her boyfriend, FJ would freak out about her independence and how she's moving away from fundamentalism and baby steps. I think Jessica's beliefs are horrid but I guess the different standard of reaction to her on FJ bothered me a little bit. I would love for her and all Trump voters to change their minds about basically all the issues, but realistically I like that at least she doesn't come across as "meek" on social media. 

TL;DR I was enraged and terrified after the election like so many of us, but immediately shutting people down or out because they voted for Trump is an attitude that I find problematic if we want to heal our country. (Backing away slowly now)

1 hour ago, neurogirl said:

If Jana wore a tube dress and stayed out unchaperoned with her boyfriend, FJ would freak out about her independence and how she's moving away from fundamentalism and baby steps. I think Jessica's beliefs are horrid but I guess the different standard of reaction to her on FJ bothered me a little bit. I would love for her and all Trump voters to change their minds about basically all the issues, but realistically I like that at least she doesn't come across as "meek" on social media. 

I can't speak for anyone else on FJ, but I'm not into giving people props for 'breaking away' from fundamentalism by wearing pants, drinking, having sex, or whatever, if they still have all the same hateful, toxic beliefs, and are willing to subject their fellow human beings to the tyranny of a lunatic like Trump. No, I don't believe that everyone who voted for him is an evil person, but I believe that his vocal supporters have something seriously wrong with them, and it's pure foolishness to dance around that fact. We have to be able to face it head on. It sucks and it's disturbing, but it's true. Not all nazis were evil people, but they participated in evil. We can acknowledge that, and we have to be able to acknowledge the same about Trump supporters. I'm not going to give former fundamentalists props for wearing tube dresses or hooking up with their boyfriends, while voting for Trump. Who cares what they wear or what they do with their genitals? While that can be indicative of changing beliefs, what matters is how they treat other people.

Sorry, but a proud Trump vote is all I need to know about a person’s character and complete lack of empathy. I am understand up to a point and that point ends when you support a vile racist hell bent on literally destroying people’s lives. 

@singsingsing I agree! I’m extremely hesitant to give any of these people brownie points. It’s good that Ben is exploring things unfamiliar to him, but I really think sometimes we get excited when fundies do the bare minimum. 

As for Jessica Seewald, I don’t only dislike her because she voted for Trump. She’s just a hot mess...reference her FB posts on Islam and her boyfriend. 

1 hour ago, Jinder Roles said:

As for Jessica Seewald, I don’t only dislike her because she voted for Trump. She’s just a hot mess...reference her FB posts on Islam and her boyfriend. 

Exactly! Jessica Seewald has changed her wardrobe, she still believes all those things that she wrote about Catholics after her mission-cation all those years ago. The only thing that has truly changed are her clothes, I'm not going to give her credit for that. 

Yeah, there's more going on with Jessica than "she seems like a cool girl but she always votes GOP" - the statements she makes on social media are consistently bigoted, spiteful and crass.

7 minutes ago, JMO said:

Anyone else that they watched A Charlie Brown's Thanksgiving? I'm betting that's Ben's influence. 

I hope so.

14 hours ago, closetcagebaby said:

Sorry, but a proud Trump vote is all I need to know about a person’s character and complete lack of empathy. I am understand up to a point and that point ends when you support a vile racist hell bent on literally destroying people’s lives. 

Yeah, I was just going to say regarding this "healing the nation" and "coming together" stuff we hear all the time: big fat NOOOOOPE. That is just so incredibly problematic and generally comes from a place of extraordinary privilege. In other words, people calling for us to come together generally (not always) tend to be ones who don't have much to lose under a Trump administration. When you unpack this a bit, what is being asked is that the most vulnerable among us - minorities of every stripe - have to rise above our own well validated fears to come together with people who voted for a racist/misogynist/anti-semitic/etc platform. Rather than, you know, actual racists not voting for a racist-in-chief and then demanding that we meet them halfway. No thank you, not now and not ever.

This is very instructive, I recommend people read it.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2017/11/the-nationalists-delusion/546356/

And also this, written earlier this year, summarizes perfectly how I feel:

Historians have a word for Germans who joined the Nazi party, not because they hated Jews, but out of a hope for restored patriotism, or a sense of economic anxiety, or a hope to preserve their religious values, or dislike of their opponents, or raw political opportunism, or convenience, or ignorance or greed.

The word is "Nazi." Nobody cares about their motives anymore.

They joined what they joined. They lent their support and their moral approval. And, in doing so, they bound themselves to everything that came after. Who cares anymore what particular knot they used in the binding?

- Julius Goat

@AtlanticTug @closetcagebaby @singsingsing @Jinder Roles @nickelodeon You all have excellent points. This is why I was hesitant to post. I agree with you for the most part and I didn't mean to  say America needs to meet in the middle or whatever. I also recognize that I am coming from a place of extreme privilege. AND I didn't know enough about Jessica Seewald (it sounds like she's vile) so I shouldn't have posted in this topic in particular, but loving Trump supporters while trying to make them see sense is something that I'm struggling with this holiday season and I was overly-sensitive. I don't want to militantly hate my family. How do you love someone and have great family memories with them, while also thinking their world view is entirely wrong? 

3 minutes ago, neurogirl said:

I don't want to militantly hate my family. How do you love someone and have great family memories with them, while also thinking their world view is entirely wrong? 

I don't think that hating them is required and I'm sorry that the holidays are going to be so stressful for you. I don't think there is a good answer. Perhaps steer the conversation away from politics and try not to think of it too much, which is hard. Best of luck and I guess be the better person, treat them like human beings? And remember there's a venting thread if you need it! 

Jessica seems like an attention seeker, she posts a lot of hateful things to cause trouble, she got mad when people told her shouldn't have announced Spurgeon's birth, that was Ben and Jessa's job especially given the fact they wanted to wait till he was born to reveal the sex of the baby and Jessa was rushed to hospital afterwards. While Ben and Jessa have forgiven her I doubt they have forgotten about it. If I was them I wouldn't trust her again.

6 hours ago, neurogirl said:

@AtlanticTug @closetcagebaby @singsingsing @Jinder Roles @nickelodeon You all have excellent points. This is why I was hesitant to post. I agree with you for the most part and I didn't mean to  say America needs to meet in the middle or whatever. I also recognize that I am coming from a place of extreme privilege. AND I didn't know enough about Jessica Seewald (it sounds like she's vile) so I shouldn't have posted in this topic in particular, but loving Trump supporters while trying to make them see sense is something that I'm struggling with this holiday season and I was overly-sensitive. I don't want to militantly hate my family. How do you love someone and have great family memories with them, while also thinking their world view is entirely wrong? 

I do somewhat understand - but there is a time to take a stand, and that time is now. I've cut out my biological father completely (he went from skirt wearing hippie to conservative christian who loves Tomi Lahren and basically everything I'm against) and though it's tough, I know that in forty years I won't have to live with the fact I was a passive bystander.

ETA: This obviously isn't an option for everyone and each person has to decide what they have the emotional energy to do.

2 hours ago, Glasgowghirl said:

...that was Ben and Jessa's job especially given the fact they wanted to wait till he was born to reveal the sex of the baby and Jessa was rushed to hospital afterwards. 

That's the thing that always rubbed me the wrong way about Jessica revealing Spurgeon's sex. I know you're excited about being an aunt but really, shouldn't you be more worried about your sister in law who just hemorrhaged?  

I think Jessa was fine by the time Jessica posted, but it's really shitty to reveal details about a baby on social media before the baby's parents have the chance to do it themselves, no matter what! 

3 hours ago, Glasgowghirl said:

Jessica seems like an attention seeker, she posts a lot of hateful things to cause trouble, she got mad when people told her shouldn't have announced Spurgeon's birth, that was Ben and Jessa's job especially given the fact they wanted to wait till he was born to reveal the sex of the baby and Jessa was rushed to hospital afterwards. While Ben and Jessa have forgiven her I doubt they have forgotten about it. If I was them I wouldn't trust her again.

That's how she seems to me too. I think she was expecting all the fame and attention that Ben got for herself too. I think Ben's father was also expecting a lot more fame for himself. Didn't someone out Jessa and Ben's relationship before they were ready? 

ETA according to Duggar Cheat Sheet Jessa's and Ben's relationship was outed but not who was the one who did it. So we don't know who it was.  It could have been Jessica, Michael, or someone else.

23 minutes ago, JordynDarby5 said:

ETA according to Duggar Cheat Sheet Jessa's and Ben's relationship was outed but not who was the one who did it. So we don't know who it was.  It could have been Jessica, Michael, or someone else.

It was someone - I think a Seewald family member - on Facebook, but I can't remember specifically who. I don't think it was Jessica, and I'm pretty sure it wasn't one of the parents. Maybe an aunt?

11 hours ago, HarryPotterFan said:

*crosses fingers that Ben introduces Jessa and the boys to Disney, but Disney involves magic and premarital kissing*

Nope. Disney does Gay Days. Duggars don't do gay. 

I don't shut Jessica down because she's a Trumpkin. I shut her down because she acts like a hateful twat on social media. Her anti vax post alone pretty much sealed the deal there. Voting for Trump is just the cherry on top of that hot mess sundae. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived