IGNORED

Seewalds 28: Marketing Kids as Deflection

Coconut Flan

I have an irrational fear of mascots. Please laugh at me, it's hilarious. I know that they are people, I know that they are in costumes. I am fine with costumes on Halloween but mascots are a hell no. 

I guess I will never be a furrie! :P 

• Replies 668
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Carm_88 said:

I have an irrational fear of mascots. Please laugh at me, it's hilarious. I know that they are people, I know that they are in costumes. I am fine with costumes on Halloween but mascots are a hell no. 

I guess I will never be a furrie! :P 

If it’s Derick in the Pistol Pete costume then the fear isn’t irrational at all.

I was terrified of the Chip and Dale chipmunks at Disney when I was little. I’m pretty sure there is a photo of me and them somewhere screaming my head off.

4 minutes ago, HarryPotterFan said:

If it’s Derick in the Pistol Pete costume then the fear isn’t irrational at all.

I was terrified of the Chip and Dale chipmunks at Disney when I was little. I’m pretty sure there is a photo of me and them somewhere screaming my head off.

I loved Chip and Dale! :) I also loved them as a kid, I don't know what my problem is now! 

This thing! Buddy the fricking Puffin was out to get me! :P 

1b163f10cfafce20b558b203a53629d6.jpg

I don't think this counts as an actual phobia, but I haven't touched an egg in over a decade. They just really creep me out.

Alfred Hitchcock was also afraid of eggs, so I'm not alone. (There are dozens of us!)

Tryptophobia is real. I hate seeing holes in things. It makes me cringe. I actually had to leave an art showing once because the featured artist had holes in all of his work. It was so awkward. lol

I'm afraid of elevators, but I know the source of my fear. When I was about 5 my mom decided to tell me that I always have to look and make sure the elevator is there before walking in, otherwise you might fall into the shaft if it's not there.  I also got my hand stuck in the space between the two elevator doors a few months later. Whenever I go in an elevator that's making weird noises or doesn't have a bar I can hold on to (which is every day, because I live on the 5th floor), I get anxiety.  Ironically, Tower of Terror is my favorite ride at Disney ;) 

I'm terrified of drains. All drains. Swimming pools are the worst.

I literally canNOT touch the bathtub or sink drain, unless I'm scrubbing either object - and even then I have a hard time touching anything other than the metal flange around the drain. When I was a kid, I wouldn't use a toilet that had a visible "hole" where the water from the tank went into the bowl - like this:  KH20.jpg 

I have a weirdness about cottonballs.. they bug me so much. Something about the texture makes my teeth clench. Like I'm getting the feeling right now due to talking about this. 

The cotton in medicine bottles? Nope... I had to get my mother in law to remove some cotton from a bottle because I got a new medicine bottle and my husband was deployed. It was embarrassing to ask, but I couldn't touch the cotton. 

needles, I cant see needles unless its a sewing needle I am controlling. 

5 hours ago, Carm_88 said:

I loved Chip and Dale! :) I also loved them as a kid, I don't know what my problem is now! 

This thing! Buddy the fricking Puffin was out to get me! :P 

1b163f10cfafce20b558b203a53629d6.jpg

Puffins rock! Even as a mascot.mascot. It is cuter than the local hockey teams mascot here, it's litreally a bandit. 

Go Caps Go! I used to follow them from afar, not so much recently. 

I'm terrified of horses.  I got kicked by one when I was younger, was out cold for a bit, and never forgotten it...or got close to a horse since. 

6 hours ago, SilverBeach said:

My DD went to elementary school with a girl who was absolutely terrified of balloons. We all went to the same birthday parties, and it was so sad to see her melt down. She did not recover even when separated from the balloons, a parent had to pick her up. The kids were so nice to her, no teasing or anything, they felt badly that she couldn't enjoy the party when they were having so much fun. So, fear of balloons may not be that unusual in children. I wonder if and when that girl outgrew her fear.

Balloons and cap guns! I hate those things. It's just the last few years I started to somewhat to get over it. Never pop a balloon or set of a cap gun near me. :tw_grimace:

Going through revolving doors and walking over subway grates. Can't do it.

I've got serious issues with tomatoes. I can eat them if they're cooked in pureed form (such as pasta sauce), but I can't do anything that's touching raw, sliced or diced tomatoes. It's infuriating because I love making pasta and I would love to be able to grow my own and make sauce from scratch but I physically can't do it.

One time at work someone placed one on top of my lunch in the fridge. I didn't have lunch that day, and I'm fairly sure I convinced mum we needed new containers because I couldn't use that one anymore.

I'm moving into my own place soon, and I'm very excited about it being a tomato free zone.

Mine is a classic--heights. I didn't even think much about it until I was looking at an apartment on the eighth floor and the realtor noticed that I wasn't going near any of the windows. Then I started noticing it more and more after that--yep, it's something I do. not. like. 

8 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Tryptophobia is real. I hate seeing holes in things. It makes me cringe. I actually had to leave an art showing once because the featured artist had holes in all of his work. It was so awkward. lol

I had to google Tryptophobia and I wish I had not...

I always had this strange fear of holes and structures and had a hard time describing it but now I have a name for it and don‘t feel so weird anymore

9 hours ago, Gillyweed said:

I'm afraid of elevators, but I know the source of my fear. When I was about 5 my mom decided to tell me that I always have to look and make sure the elevator is there before walking in, otherwise you might fall into the shaft if it's not there.  I also got my hand stuck in the space between the two elevator doors a few months later. Whenever I go in an elevator that's making weird noises or doesn't have a bar I can hold on to (which is every day, because I live on the 5th floor), I get anxiety.  Ironically, Tower of Terror is my favorite ride at Disney ;) 

I’m also afraid of elevators. I take the stairs 100% of the time. I actually had a job as a teenager in a library that was two stories and I was expected to take my cart full of books onto the elevator to put them away. Instead I would physically carry these stacks of books up the stairs and put them on the cart up there to use. What I lost in efficiency I gained in physical fitness. 

2 hours ago, BrandoBarks said:

I always had this strange fear of holes and structures and had a hard time describing it but now I have a name for it and don‘t feel so weird anymore

This is me. Argggh! So hard to explain to people but they're terrifying.

Walking  down stairs exp stone stairs gives me a scared very uncomfortable feeling and it’s to the point I really don’t want to do it.I live on the second floor and the metal stairs sway slightly so I am in a pickle. I truly believe something bad must happened on stairs in a past life. . I have had Dreams or snatches of memory where I am running down spiral stairs in a green Tudor style dress and slippers. 

11 hours ago, OldFadedStar said:

I have a weirdness about cottonballs.. they bug me so much. Something about the texture makes my teeth clench. Like I'm getting the feeling right now due to talking about this. 

The cotton in medicine bottles? Nope... I had to get my mother in law to remove some cotton from a bottle because I got a new medicine bottle and my husband was deployed. It was embarrassing to ask, but I couldn't touch the cotton. 

ew, ew, ew. Me too. It's that... squeaky? kind of texture between your fingers? It gives me the shudders.

I'm really trying to deal with it, and even bought cotton wool pads for my cleanser recently like a grown-up, but I can't do it. I just try to avoid it.

11 hours ago, OldFadedStar said:

I have a weirdness about cottonballs.. they bug me so much. Something about the texture makes my teeth clench. 

I thought of you last night when my almost 7yo insisted I come downstairs with her because she was afraid that she saw rabies on the floor. I said you can't see rabies and we don't have any pets.  But I went to appease her and what did I see? A cotton ball, lol. Hope this isn't the start of something.

I'm afraid of rats and mouses.. Like completely terrified. Last year I was walking near a subway and a rat came out of there, I went nuts screaming my head off and running like a maniac. I'm even tearing up a little remembering about it.

Funny enough my fave Disney movie is Ratatouille.

I'm afraid of wasps and needles, which I suppose is quite common. 

Of the more odder ones, I am afraid of escalators, I can go up okay, but down is not gonna happen. Really awkward walking with a new person and having to explain you're going to take the lift after you didn't say anything going up. Horrible being at a metro station with no lift, and having to suffer through the decent into hell the platform. 

7 hours ago, BrandoBarks said:

I wasn't sure if I had spelled it right, but I didn't google it for that specific reason....those awful photos that come up immediately. Like Google is trying to decide right away if you have it. :pb_lol:

When  describe it to people, I usually don't say I'm afraid of holes but extremely annoyed and at times stressed about them. lol

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived