IGNORED

Seewalds 28: Marketing Kids as Deflection

Coconut Flan

On 12/26/2017 at 8:31 AM, HarryPotterFan said:

:pb_lol: I imagine she got one of those "real baby" dolls. You know, the artistic handcrafted ones that look and feel like real newborns.

I got dolls too and loved them, I just find it yucky that little girls, whose only path in life is to raise babies, are given that specific doll that you feed and change (granted you can do this with all baby dolls...) It just feels different for those girls. They can't have barbies, where they tell stories and make-up dramatic relationships. I doubt they get legos. They certainly don't get kiddie toolkits or doctor bags. Their only pretend-play allowed is to pretend to be a mommy.

My daughter just turned 9 (10 days before Xmas!) and she didn't get any dolls, she got a dragon figure (to play with, safari ltd has great stuff) and lots of science stuff!!! she loved it. 

• Replies 668
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

I don't know about at the Duggar house, but with my family, the young kids are usually the easiest and the most fun to shop for at Christmas. If you give them something they like, their faces just light up when they see it. It's a lot more fun than the polite "thank you"s most adults give. 

That's my favorite part of shopping for little kids. They get so excited and just light up. I have so much fun shopping for my nephew just for that excitement when he opens his presents.               

I wouldn't be surprised if the girls end up playing with the boys' toys at the TTH, even if the Duggars actually gift only super gendered toys. With that many kids running around it would be hard to keep track of which kid can play with which toy. I think it's less likely that they let the boys play with super girly toys, but the girls probably play with the toy trucks and whatnot. Jana was allowed to do the volunteer EMT/firefighter thing and Joy has gotten to fly a plane so the Duggars are probably okay with the girls playing with non-pink, non-baby doll toys. But if they never give any toys to the daughters except baby dolls and the like, yeah, that doesn't send a great message.

Off topic, but I think I’ve seen the Gaines mentioned in here.  Just looking at my Facebook feed and saw that my husband’s cousin posted saying how inspired he was after reading the book, The Magnolia Story, and imploring us all to become prayer warriors so that god will look after us. I think it’s time I unfollowed him...

On 12/26/2017 at 1:48 PM, SapphireSlytherin said:

It really bothers me that the kids are wearing parkas indoors. I hope they keep the tth warm enough that the kids don’t NEED to wear them. 

While the TTH has always looked cold and dreary to me, it's possible Josie got the coat as a gift. My aunt got all our family kiddos matching plush robes and slippers and about half the kids threw them on immediately and wore them most of the night while playing. Kids are weird. 

7 minutes ago, Casserole said:

While the TTH has always looked cold and dreary to me, it's possible Josie got the coat as a gift. My aunt got all our family kiddos matching plush robes and slippers and about half the kids threw them on immediately and wore them most of the night while playing. Kids are weird. 

Right? My sister got my son some pjs from Disneyland (they look like Poe's flight suit from The Force Awakens) and he immediately starts unbuttoning his current jammies to put them on. I had to stop him because they still had tags and needed to be washed! Kids are funny :) 

25 minutes ago, Ace3 said:

Right? My sister got my son some pjs from Disneyland (they look like Poe's flight suit from The Force Awakens) and he immediately starts unbuttoning his current jammies to put them on. I had to stop him because they still had tags and needed to be washed! Kids are funny :) 

To be fair, that’s sounds like the coolest set of jammies ever.

My Mom got a new coat for Christmas and there's a picture of her wearing it indoors. It was well over 20 lol! Just wanted to show it off! 

On 12/26/2017 at 11:31 AM, HarryPotterFan said:

They can't have barbies, where they tell stories and make-up dramatic relationships. I doubt they get legos. They certainly don't get kiddie toolkits or doctor bags. Their only pretend-play allowed is to pretend to be a mommy.

My daughter hated dolls. Hated them with a passion. She had toy John Deere tractors, kids doctor kit and tons of notebook with crayons and colored pencils. And puzzles she loved those.

1 hour ago, HarryPotterFan said:

To be fair, that’s sounds like the coolest set of jammies ever.

They 100% are. He's been wearing them since Tuesday and he wears them with his Poe mask and tells me "I can fly anything!" He is the coolest 3 year old I know!

11 hours ago, Carm_88 said:

My Mom got a new coat for Christmas and there's a picture of her wearing it indoors. It was well over 20 lol! Just wanted to show it off! 

I got 5000 dream reward air miles...I bought my self a new laptop :D

and who saw the newest pictures of Henry turning 10 months old. 

jessa seems to constantly win the popularity game between her and Jill 

14 minutes ago, nst said:

jessa seems to constantly win the popularity game between her and Jill 

And here I thought the competition was long over & jessa won it long ago!

Wonder whether the pic of Henry with the theology books is a hint to a pregnancy.  It has been speculated, and I believe the Seewalds at least jokingly confirmed, that they choose baby names from there.

9 hours ago, Dandruff said:

Wonder whether the pic of Henry with the theology books is a hint to a pregnancy.  It has been speculated, and I believe the Seewalds at least jokingly confirmed, that they choose baby names from there.

I totally thought that - so except baby Strong Seewald in July of 2018 

or Wayne Strong Seewald 

I never noticed Michelle trying to awkwardly insert herself in this family moment on camera. It made me lol this morning

(spoilers because gifs)

Spoiler

tumblr_ot9yddkQNu1r8mb1io6_400.gif

tumblr_ot9yddkQNu1r8mb1io3_400.gif

Michelle could probably help with Henry but she hasn't dealt with one Spurgeon's age for a very, very long time! :P 

Spurgeon being the total 18 month old kid saying I will not pose for your photo ops I will not be your trained monkey to preform on que. Got to love that age. 

On 12/22/2017 at 12:40 PM, Meggo said:

Not that I'm laughing at Wolf Boy's fears - but that's hysterical!! What was it about pine cones that were so terrifying (says the woman who was apparently terrified of balloons the first 5 years of her life)

My DD went to elementary school with a girl who was absolutely terrified of balloons. We all went to the same birthday parties, and it was so sad to see her melt down. She did not recover even when separated from the balloons, a parent had to pick her up. The kids were so nice to her, no teasing or anything, they felt badly that she couldn't enjoy the party when they were having so much fun. So, fear of balloons may not be that unusual in children. I wonder if and when that girl outgrew her fear.

@Meggo. We never figured out why he was afraid. By the time he could express himself he was no longer afraid. It was the really big ones we found when we were camping that terrified him.

Eta. He also freaked out once, when he bit into an apple and saw the seeds. He's an officer on a submarine now. He got over it. :laughing-lmao:

10 minutes ago, SilverBeach said:

My DD went to elementary school with a girl who was absolutely terrified of balloons.

As a kid I absolutely hated how balloons went wrinkly when they had been around for a while and had started to deflate. I was fine with ones that were firm but couldn’t stand to be in the same room as them once they were wrinkled. 

Not a phobia but I once worked somewhere where the standard introduction for new staff was along the lines of “Fire exits over there, toilets here, and never under any circumstances bring balloons to work.” 

A staff member was so allergic that the presence of balloons was enough to send her off in an ambulance.

I had a friend who (even as an adult) was terrified of whales. Yes. Even photos of them.

And the last photo of Henry, you can really seen Ben. :)

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived