IGNORED

Seewalds 28: Marketing Kids as Deflection

Coconut Flan

On 12/22/2017 at 10:19 PM, Iamtheway said:

I have totally worked in an office where that would have been just fine if I could find it in my size. It was a design place though. A bank is probably a bit different. :)

My better half works in an animation studio. Co-workers have spent entire workdays in unicorn onesies without anyone batting an eye.  It's all about knowing your audience. XD

• Replies 668
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Broke my arm at 9, my mom didn’t believe me either. I gloated quite a bit when my dad brought me home from urgent care with a cast.

Right now I have babie rabies but we are still waiting to have kids, so I have started a wardrobe for future Little Luna.  I have an artistic side that has to be fed with constant projects.  I use mostly custom printed cotton lycra.  My main themes are rainbows, unicorns, science/big bang theory, and Harry potter.  I do gender neutral clothing items, but go wild with color.  I nabbed a few similar items from etsy to give you guys an idea.  I hope to lean against gender norms.

Spoiler

il_570xN.1311423954_fdxb.jpg.6c3e7c339d202c2da70c4c04e2ba677a.jpgil_570xN.1423375175_szmk.jpg.6bffe2a7a05f0f993df223272018ded4.jpgil_570xN.1119309559_4k5z.jpg.8e1b28b9b32c2381a98245253a6e7ca1.jpg

We were having large bbq hotdogs on the beach one night. My six yo ate like four, she has an amazing appetite. We put her in a tent to sleep. But she complained she was still hungry. We gave her another hotdog and put her back to sleep. A little while later she cried hysterically ‘ I want food NOW! I have to eat, I am so hungry ‘ I couldn’t believe it, but she was beside herself so I gave her another hotdog. She ate half of it, then puked out six hotdogs, and everything else she had eaten over all our camping gear, towels, chairs, you name it. Turns out she did not know the difference between feeling hungry and nauseous.

Obviously we had to take her home, but packing up in the pitch dark with everything covered in puke was uhmmm challenging. She puked all the way home. 

9 minutes ago, Carm_88 said:

A very Duggar Christmas!

Wow, what hyper-gendered gifts they have!  At least Henry doesn't look exactly like JB, though. 

On 12/24/2017 at 4:56 PM, LovelyLuna said:

Right now I have babie rabies but we are still waiting to have kids, so I have started a wardrobe for future Little Luna.  I have an artistic side that has to be fed with constant projects.  I use mostly custom printed cotton lycra.  My main themes are rainbows, unicorns, science/big bang theory, and Harry potter.  I do gender neutral clothing items, but go wild with color.  I nabbed a few similar items from etsy to give you guys an idea.  I hope to lean against gender norms.

HARRY POTTER BABY CLOTHES??? Tell me more!!

And somebody tell Henry that the man holding him is yucky. Henry is so damn cute. Also it's kind of alarming that the little girls in the I guess pre-sister mom/aunt mom stage of life got a "baby alive doll." Because they need to feed and change their toys, not just real babies. That's not a present, that's training equipment.

19 minutes ago, HarryPotterFan said:

HARRY POTTER BABY CLOTHES??? Tell me more!!

And somebody tell Henry that the man holding him is yucky. Henry is so damn cute. Also it's kind of alarming that the little girls in the I guess pre-sister mom/aunt mom stage of life got a "baby alive doll." Because they need to feed and change their toys, not just real babies. That's not a present, that's training equipment.

I thought that was Michelle’s gift. Maybe JB got it for Josie so michelle will let her grow up. 

I did love dolls as a little girl, so it's not shocking that they did get dolls. However, I hope like me they received legos and toy cars as well. Too much to ask? I thought so! 

10 hours ago, grandmadugger said:

I thought that was Michelle’s gift. Maybe JB got it for Josie so michelle will let her grow up. 

:pb_lol: I imagine she got one of those "real baby" dolls. You know, the artistic handcrafted ones that look and feel like real newborns.

12 minutes ago, Carm_88 said:

I did love dolls as a little girl, so it's not shocking that they did get dolls. However, I hope like me they received legos and toy cars as well. Too much to ask? I thought so! 

I got dolls too and loved them, I just find it yucky that little girls, whose only path in life is to raise babies, are given that specific doll that you feed and change (granted you can do this with all baby dolls...) It just feels different for those girls. They can't have barbies, where they tell stories and make-up dramatic relationships. I doubt they get legos. They certainly don't get kiddie toolkits or doctor bags. Their only pretend-play allowed is to pretend to be a mommy.

I grew up with only sisters, so we had lots of dolls as kids, but my parents bought us Hot Wheels cars/tracks as well (probably so my Dad could play with them).  They were the best presents, we always had a blast with them.  They also bought us Lego, so we learn the tragedy and pain of stepping on Lego from a young age.

We are a family of girls, but my husband has made sure we have a plethora of Lego, John Deere tractors and model planes and semis in the playroom for the girls to play with. They love it. Somehow, the calico critters end up driving farm trucks and the barbies take the Kelly dolls for rides in the semis, while the wooden train track connects the little people village to the Lego village. Our apartment is a freaking disaster, and I threaten to purge the toy closet at least once a week - but I actually don't know what I would get rid of. The kids play with everything on a regular (and often all at once) basis. 

It reminds me how I would have my barbies but me and my twin brother would build with leggos and crash his hot wheels (the two boys I babysit if they have their cars out I ask them if we can crash them cause it was so fun for me when I was younger :pb_lol:). 

Jessa said in a comment that they do a secret santa of sorts but that picture with Jordyn and Josie it seems like they got a lot?

They have myriad of girl themed LEGO sets now...Hair salons, making cupcakes, etc. and regular legos (in pink and purple of course ) so they most likely have those.

1 hour ago, SamiKatz said:

They also bought us Lego, so we learn the tragedy and pain of stepping on Lego from a young age.

I'd love to get JB and MEchelle a carpet made of legos...

It really bothers me that the kids are wearing parkas indoors. I hope they keep the tth warm enough that the kids don’t NEED to wear them. 

18 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

It really bothers me that the kids are wearing parkas indoors. I hope they keep the tth warm enough that the kids don’t NEED to wear them. 

Maybe they went somewhere and Josie didn’t bother to take her jacket off (presents!!). I could imagine. 

My daughter (almost 8) got a Nikko too this year. She loves it! The 2yo got a train and garage that fits her wooden tracks. We don’t do gender appropriate, we do interest appropriate. 

5 minutes ago, tabitha2 said:

Who’s the darker haired boy with the Nikko?

Tyler, Michelle's great nephew. The Duggars are fostering him. 

When daughter number 2 was 2 years old, all she wanted for Christmas was a Thomas the tank engine.  Santa gave me a bit of a look when she asked for it :confused2:.

This was nearly 20 years ago, I have been informed that Santa has loosened up a bit over the years.

This might be just me but sometimes I question how militant the Duggar really are with boy activities VS girl activities. 

I think there's definitely a divide when it comes to household responsibilities/chores but (And I know the show is scripted) I sometimes think that some of the older girls would be better with some basic reno type stuff than me. 

Things like seeing Jana help with the lights in Jessa's house and things like thinking about the "family business" I think the kids definitely did some basic reno type stuff on the properties they rented/owned sold. I think I read in one of the books too that the year (s) they were working on the TTH every kid boy and go was given a drill for their birthday. 

Like I said I 100% think the girls are being trained to be wife's and mothers. But I also think that Jana could probably show the broken drawer in my kitchen who is boss. 

14 hours ago, candygirl200413 said:

Jessa said in a comment that they do a secret santa of sorts but that picture with Jordyn and Josie it seems like they got a lot?

I don't know about at the Duggar house, but with my family, the young kids are usually the easiest and the most fun to shop for at Christmas. If you give them something they like, their faces just light up when they see it. It's a lot more fun than the polite "thank you"s most adults give. 

In the fifth picture she posted, on the far right, it appears someone got a new shotgun. I guess they have a high “gift value” or “dollar limit” for these gifts! Lol

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived