IGNORED

Seewalds 28: Marketing Kids as Deflection

Coconut Flan

1 hour ago, Bad Wolf said:

@Meggo The public elementary schools here have a uniform, polo shirt and jeans or khakis. I hope your son doesn't have to deal with that, because as you say, who cares? Kids have such funny foibles. Wolf Boy was terrified of pine cones when he was young. He's fine now.

Not that I'm laughing at Wolf Boy's fears - but that's hysterical!! What was it about pine cones that were so terrifying (says the woman who was apparently terrified of balloons the first 5 years of her life)

• Replies 668
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, melon said:

He also did not like the tags in his shirts so I would cut the tag off. This was when he was about three.

My husband cuts off all tags at the neckline. At least I've gotten him in the habit of handing me the tag, so that I can read the washing directions before the tag goes in the trash. It makes it easy to tell his t-shirts from mine very quickly. :shrug:

11 minutes ago, Meggo said:

Plus - I love seeing little kids wearing ridiculous things and their parents saying "they dressed themselves." Tutus with a rain coat in the middle of a dry spell? Way to have individuality!

The best is my then 4 year old niece was all excited to have a sleep over with us at New Years, she was wearing her Halloween witches dress, Christmas leggings, a Hello Kitty beanie hat, 1 cowboy boot and one "princess shoe" because she couldn't make up her mind, and wait for it, froggy swim goggles. Not sure about the swim goggles but she said they looked good. We did make her put on the boots because it was slushy out, but the rest I was like "I don't care". We even went to the mall, she got more compliments on her "outfit" everyone asked if she picked it out herself and of course she proudly said "YES I IDID".  They knew, and really who am I to squash a child's creativity.

3 minutes ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

The best is my then 4 year old niece was all excited to have a sleep over with us at New Years, she was wearing her Halloween witches dress, Christmas leggings, a Hello Kitty beanie hat, 1 cowboy boot and one "princess shoe" because she couldn't make up her mind, and wait for it, froggy swim goggles. Not sure about the swim goggles but she said they looked good. We did make her put on the boots because it was slushy out, but the rest I was like "I don't care". We even went to the mall, she got more compliments on her "outfit" everyone asked if she picked it out herself and of course she proudly said "YES I IDID".  They knew, and really who am I to squash a child's creativity.

I love that she was so proud of her outfit selection! That's the best part!

4 minutes ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

She sounds like an awesome kid! 

16 minutes ago, Meggo said:

I fell once while roller skating - and complained that my arm really hurt. My mom told me it didn't hurt that bad and to basically suck it up. We got to my Grandma's house (Grandma was a nurse and was no softy when it came to kids) and she said "Uh - take her to the ER - she's broken her arm."

Thanks Mom!

--snip--
(and really - what's the worst that will happen? That I'll explain to him in 20 years that the reason he's wearing a Superman shirt on Easter is that we tried to show him how Superman wears a button down over his costume and he could be like Superman and he didn't buy it? ooookay. I'll take that risk.)

Oh wow, that's the opposite of how my grandma reacted one day when my mom complained to her that her shoulder was hurting. My mom was about 7 at the time. Grandma took her to the doctor, who brushed her off and said my mom was just trying to get out of the school. My grandma knew her daughter was a little nerd who loved school, and didn't believe she'd do that. She took my mom to another doctor, who diagnosed her with a dislocated shoulder.

And I love that superman logic. Too bad it didn't work! I'm reminded of when my brothers and I were little, and one would eat by basically putting his face in his plate and eating directly off of it. My mom told him to stop eating like a dinosaur, which had the opposite effect of what she wanted. My brother basically thought, "Cool! I want to be a dinosaur!!" And it only encouraged him. My mom was shocked many years later when we explained his logic and why her tactic didn't work. 

1 minute ago, Carm_88 said:

I swear if I could get away with Christmas leggings and a tutu, I'd wear it too! :D 

me too - as long as nothing is itchy. I can't stand itchy clothes.

She is a pretty awesome kid. I call her sassy pants, because she is smart and funny as hell and not shy.

I wore Christmas leggings and an Elf Tshirt to work,  The Tshirt SCREAMS "SANTAS COMING" I know him" My daughter was like "you wore that, in public?" I'm like hell yeah! I did take off the lighted reindeer antler headband because I didn't fit in the car with it on. :pb_lol: 

2 hours ago, Meggo said:

For a good year - my son refused to wear "Shirts with holes in dem". By which he meant - any shirt with a button. Didn't matter if it was a button down shirt, a polo type shirt with one button - NO BUTTONS.
"I no weah dis. Ih has hoes in it"

Now he'll be 5 in February and this has been the last year and a half of my life.

So - fine. No shirts with buttons. Got it. Really - not a big deal.
Every now and again I'd try to sneak a shirt with buttons on him and he'd protest. Okay.

Drove my mother nuts. "You're the parent! You decide what he wears!"

Really? Does it MATTER if he wears shirts with button holes? Not to me. Not like he won't grow up to be a functioning adult because of button holes. I'd really rather focus on "It's 10 degrees outside - you must wear pants."

As long as he is dressed in somewhat clean clothes (at least at the start of his day) and is wearing seasonably appropriate clothing - I.do.not.care.

I'm all for striking some semblance of balance with these situations. If your kid is a little kid and doesn't have to wear a school uniform/work as a funeral mute/go to a formal function, fine, let them wear whatever they please as long as it's weather-appropriate and not a choking/strangulation/visibility/vision hazard. But at a certain point, you do need to start learning to dress for occasions. If you want to work in an office, a tutu and a Paw Patrol T-shirt ain't gonna cut it. If you want to work as (just taking two examples of common childhood aspirations) a firefighter or a police officer, button-downs will be a way of life for you (if you have to get your kid into a button-down, this might be a good argument to make). I am utterly against the sort of tomfoolery that Chelsea lady does with her kids, and I am totally onboard with little kids running around in insane outfits they picked out themselves, but I also think that after a certain point, kids do need to learn the etiquette of dress. 

I got concerned when I saw that this thread was hot. I was pretty convinced #3 had been announced.  Thank goodness it's just a fun discussion of cute outfits.  

1 hour ago, melon said:

My youngest son hated any shirt with a collar.If he did wear one,he'd put on his jacket...lol.He also did not like the tags in his shirts so I would cut the tag off.This was when he was about three.

My son still cuts the tags off most of his shirts. He'll be 20 at his next birthday.   From the moment he could verbalize dislike of certain fabrics or textures, he's let me know it.  For him, I believe it was a tactile issue.  

I used to be a tag cutter. I stopped noticing it as I got older. Maybe I just wanted to keep the washing instructions. :P 

58 minutes ago, nastyhobbitses said:

I'm all for striking some semblance of balance with these situations. If your kid is a little kid and doesn't have to wear a school uniform/work as a funeral mute/go to a formal function, fine, let them wear whatever they please as long as it's weather-appropriate and not a choking/strangulation/visibility/vision hazard. But at a certain point, you do need to start learning to dress for occasions. If you want to work in an office, a tutu and a Paw Patrol T-shirt ain't gonna cut it. If you want to work as (just taking two examples of common childhood aspirations) a firefighter or a police officer, button-downs will be a way of life for you (if you have to get your kid into a button-down, this might be a good argument to make). I am utterly against the sort of tomfoolery that Chelsea lady does with her kids, and I am totally onboard with little kids running around in insane outfits they picked out themselves, but I also think that after a certain point, kids do need to learn the etiquette of dress. 

I agree. But he's almost 5. So as we get older - we'll have the conversations on what is appropriate.
For Christmas this year - I think he's likely wearing khakis and a festive sweater. And he'll be fine with that.

But for now - I hope his button hole aversion is just a five year old thing.

13 minutes ago, Carm_88 said:

I used to be a tag cutter. I stopped noticing it as I got older. Maybe I just wanted to keep the washing instructions. :P 

I am convinced the person who invented tag less shirts/underwear was a mother with many children. Best. Invention. Ever!

As for letting kids run around looking like fools, if they are not in school yet, they are really too hard to reason with on a lot of levels.  Once they start Kindergarten they can much more easily be reasoned with and you can bribe them into some things or talk them into others.  But reasoning with most 2 years olds is as productive as nailing Jell-O to the wall on a hot day, it just results in ugly melt downs that are harder to clean up then just leaving it in the bowl where it belongs.

As a child I hated tags, and when the seam on socks didn't lie right, and clothes that were tight around my stomach. I still hate all those things. I can tolerate them better, but I never quite grew out of it!

4 hours ago, Meggo said:

I fell once while roller skating - and complained that my arm really hurt. My mom told me it didn't hurt that bad and to basically suck it up. We got to my Grandma's house (Grandma was a nurse and was no softy when it came to kids) and she said "Uh - take her to the ER - she's broken her arm."

Thanks Mom!

When I was fourteen the orthodontist turned to my mum and asked, 'when did she break her jaw?'

Long blank looks.

The most likely time I broke my jaw was at the age of four, when I went over the handles of a tricycle, biting my tongue and blacking my front teeth. My mum said she thought about taking me to the hospital but decided it probably wasn't worth it. Anyway, my jaw has set crooked, with the potential for futher complications in the future. THANKS MUM.

My kiddos pretty much dress how they want so long as it's clean, but my 13 and 17 year old daughters are not allowed string bikinis, short shorts or really low cleavage shirts. Too many pervs and I want them to be respected for who they are, not what they show off. Which they don't care anyway, they're all jeans/t-shirts/hoodies and sneakers types.

My son can't handle tags at all, and socks and shoes were an issue until he turned 7. We had to go so far as to write it into his 504 plan at school. He's better about it now but usually he prefers no show socks and Sketchers. Clothes at this age are just not worth the fight!

I've been 'that' mom twice when my kids got hurt. Oce when Middle Wolfie fell off the bunk bed, and it didn't swell right away so I didn't think it was bad. Turns out she broke 4 of the bones across the top of her foot. Most recently was with Oldest, she'd been complaining of tightness in her chest, but she'd had it before and doc said it wasn't anything to worry about so I didn't worry this time either. Until she developed a fever of 103 that wouldn't break. Yup that got my attention! She had pneumonia really bad. Both times I felt absolutely shitty but my kiddos tend to cry wolf about being sick/hurt so it's hard to take them seriously sometimes. 

39 minutes ago, Shadoewolf said:

Both times I felt absolutely shitty but my kiddos tend to cry wolf about being sick/hurt so it's hard to take them seriously sometimes. 

I had a minor case of that last year. My (then) 7 year old was dragging her feet all morning and saying that her stomach didn't feel well. She tends to complain about her stomach if she is: hungry, full, needs to pass gas, or is nervous about something, and can't articulate the difference between the different feelings, yet, so I still got her ready and took her to school. We were walking along the front sidewalk at her school went she stopped and threw up. I took her straight home and put her to bed. I felt really bad for not understanding the situation sooner. :(

I crushed a bone in my wrist on the parallel bars in high school, but, because I didn't fall, my dad didn't believe I had really hurt it. I was in agony for a week before they finally took me in. It set funny, and to this day, I have a very weak wrist. It was a weird way to crush a bone though, so I can sort of see why he thought I was exaggerating. 

7 hours ago, nastyhobbitses said:

If you want to work in an office, a tutu and a Paw Patrol T-shirt ain't gonna cut it. 

I have totally worked in an office where that would have been just fine if I could find it in my size. It was a design place though. A bank is probably a bit different. :)

8 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

That's adorable! Made me smile for the first time today.:my_biggrin:

I broke my arm when I was 10 after a bike accident. I knew for a fact it was broken because after I got up I tried to unhook my helmet and I couldnt do it. Like my arm didnt work. I went home and told my mom my arm was broken. She didnt believe me, I was really calm not crying or anything. She made me sit on the couch for awhile and I eventually started kind of acting weird like I was breathing ragged and really hyper so she eventually took me tonthe ER after like 2 hours. It was like 3-4 hours before I got any treatment and my arm hurt so bad by then. I still give her crap. But it is soooo hard to tell with kids sometimes if their injury/illness is serious or not. It terrifies me with my (mostly) nonverbal son. I watch him like a hawk for anything out of the ordinary. But I send him to school sick all the time, I just dont know until he pukes, gets a fever or something. So much mommy guilt. 

On 12/22/2017 at 9:00 PM, Shadoewolf said:

My son can't handle tags at all, and socks and shoes were an issue until he turned 7. We had to go so far as to write it into his 504 plan at school. He's better about it now but usually he prefers no show socks and Sketchers. Clothes at this age are just not worth the fight!

Ugh, my ASD daughter has a terrible time when the seasons change - like long sleeves must feel weird (she's completely nonverbal) after tank tops and short sleeves, then vice versa.

But the worst is SHOES! Nothing on the heel, ever. So we have Crocs (the official footwear of the ASD individual) in every color almost. She can put them on (without the strap on the heel of course!) and kick them off with ease. 

I tried cute pink converses on her once. I'll never make that mistake again, I apologized to her teachers for a month. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived