IGNORED

Seewalds 28: Marketing Kids as Deflection

Coconut Flan

So I recently found out that next year I'll be going to a wedding in the glass church where Ben proposed. The only thing I know it from is the Duggars so I'm going to have trouble not thinking of Benessa when I'm at this very heathen and un-modest (by Duggar standards) wedding!

I've never been to Arkansas, so my partner was shocked when I immediately knew what he was talking about when he said, "it seems like it's made of glass..." He's rather confused about my fundie fascination and why I would know where a Duggar relation proposed. :pb_lol:

• Replies 668
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Carm_88 said: Henry being a typical little brother. Spurgeon is so cute and he did build a nice tower! 

I would have liked to watch the two brothers mix it up a bit after the tower fell and Spurg started to protest.  I wonder how aggressive Spurg got with Henry and whether/at what point Jessa intervened.  Spurg's initial reaction seemed gentle, but we don't see how much pushing goes on and how Henry reacts.  I used to let my twin boys mix it up quite a bit before stepping in.

She probably chooses the best videos to share- but those kids are super calm compared to how my nephews ran (and still run) around like heathens! And so stinkin' cute!

I have been thinking about why Jessa's Instagram posts are so much better received than Jill's and I think its because the kids are the focus of a fair number of the posts with very limited Jessa in the picture whereas Jill is in almost every stinking picture. Jessa's feels more like documenting her kids and Jill feels more like "me! focus on me!"

1 hour ago, Drala said:

@Carm_88 said: Henry being a typical little brother. Spurgeon is so cute and he did build a nice tower! 

I would have liked to watch the two brothers mix it up a bit after the tower fell and Spurg started to protest.  I wonder how aggressive Spurg got with Henry and whether/at what point Jessa intervened.  Spurg's initial reaction seemed gentle, but we don't see how much pushing goes on and how Henry reacts.  I used to let my twin boys mix it up quite a bit before stepping in.

I think she was intervening right then - Spurge was about to give Henry a good clonk. If she'd kept filming you just know she'd have got so much crap for letting her kids fight.

Spurgeon doesn't really know how to be gentle around Henry yet, and does seem to take out his irritation on him sometimes (as kids do, especially cranky little two-year-olds who find themselves usurped). It seems like Jessa does a lot of refereeing while they figure these new dynamics out. I found Spurgeon's saying 'I'm a good boy' right after having a little go at Henry in the last video hysterical. 

1 hour ago, AprilQuilt said:

I think she was intervening right then - Spurge was about to give Henry a good clonk. If she'd kept filming you just know she'd have got so much crap for letting her kids fight.

Spurgeon doesn't really know how to be gentle around Henry yet, and does seem to take out his irritation on him sometimes (as kids do, especially cranky little two-year-olds who find themselves usurped). It seems like Jessa does a lot of refereeing while they figure these new dynamics out. I found Spurgeon's saying 'I'm a good boy' right after having a little go at Henry in the last video hysterical. 

You make some good points.  They are probably too little to let them go too far into mixing  it up before intervening.

35 minutes ago, Drala said:

You make some good points.  They are probably too little to let them go too far into mixing  it up before intervening.

I'm sure that they do have little spats and will continue to as they get older. That's most siblings. I hope that continues because it's much better to let them mix it up a little, then to let the little resentments simmer. 

5 hours ago, VeryNikeSeamstress said:

Awww. <3 Look at their coordinated plaid shirts!

I am sure she dresses her kids for the videos. It's TOTALLY impractical to have a 9-10 month old in denim overalls and a plaid shirt and his 2-year-old brother dressed similarly to putter around the house, eat and get messy, etc. Once I started paying attention to how the kids were dressed it became super obvious that the videos Jessa puts on are staged, at least to the extent of prepping the kids before having them do a filmable activity. Not saying there is anything wrong with that but as a Mom of young littles there is no way in hell I believe that her kids are walking around dressed the way they are in Instagram videos most of the time.

Mine are 18 and 20 now, but I dressed them like that when they were little. They weren't running around or getting messy in church clothes or fancy fabrics, but it was easy enough to throw an old adult T-shirt over their clothes or take something off for a messy meal or art project, etc. Everything was washable so I didn't stress about something getting dirty, etc. My best friend from childhood just had her first kid 2yrs ago and is certainly of the "who cares if Toddler's hair/clothes look nice? Toddler's only going to Grandma's/staying home/quick trip to store-- I don't have the time anyway" etc. I was not that person, lol, but to each her own!

10 minutes ago, coexist said:

Mine are 18 and 20 now, but I dressed them like that when they were little. They weren't running around or getting messy in church clothes or fancy fabrics, but it was easy enough to throw an old adult T-shirt over their clothes or take something off for a messy meal or art project, etc. Everything was washable so I didn't stress about something getting dirty, etc. My best friend from childhood just had her first kid 2yrs ago and is certainly of the "who cares if Toddler's hair/clothes look nice? Toddler's only going to Grandma's/staying home/quick trip to store-- I don't have the time anyway" etc. I was not that person, lol, but to each her own!

I agree.  I put my LO in cute cloths when I can (he gets to pick between two every day, some days he really wants to stay in his PJs though).  The materials are washable, he has bibs, and they are still comfy.  Its not that hard to do (usually) if its something you care about.  I totally get how one wouldn't care, but its not that time consuming if its something you want to do.

6 hours ago, Eponine said:

So I recently found out that next year I'll be going to a wedding in the glass church where Ben proposed. The only thing I know it from is the Duggars so I'm going to have trouble not thinking of Benessa when I'm at this very heathen and un-modest (by Duggar standards) wedding!

I've never been to Arkansas, so my partner was shocked when I immediately knew what he was talking about when he said, "it seems like it's made of glass..." He's rather confused about my fundie fascination and why I would know where a Duggar relation proposed. :pb_lol:

Nice!  The chapel was designed by Fay Jones, and he designed the Mildred B Cooper chapel in Bella Vista about an hour away, equally beautiful.  Visit it if you can.

Cooper Chapel.jpg

I don't see anything impracticle about the way Spurgeon and Henry are dressed.  Henry's pants even have those clips so his pants are easy to get into for a diaper change.  His and S's pants are also denim, which I would think is durable, easy to clean and warm at this time of year.

7 hours ago, Eponine said:

LOL! The City of Springdale came up in recent conversations, and I had to hold back talking about the lawsuits so people didn't think I was a weirdo.

4 hours ago, AtlanticTug said:

I am sure she dresses her kids for the videos. It's TOTALLY impractical to have a 9-10 month old in denim overalls and a plaid shirt and his 2-year-old brother dressed similarly to putter around the house, eat and get messy, etc. Once I started paying attention to how the kids were dressed it became super obvious that the videos Jessa puts on are staged, at least to the extent of prepping the kids before having them do a filmable activity. Not saying there is anything wrong with that but as a Mom of young littles there is no way in hell I believe that her kids are walking around dressed the way they are in Instagram videos most of the time.

Also, could have been a TLC filming day

I also don't see anything impractical about the boy's clothes. They look comfy and warm. Plus I love overalls and I put them on my daughter on a regular day. I think it just depends on the parent.

11 hours ago, Carm_88 said:

I'm sure that they do have little spats and will continue to as they get older. That's most siblings. I hope that continues because it's much better to let them mix it up a little, then to let the little resentments simmer. 

definitely, kids should sort their stuff out between themselves. We know she lets them play-wrestle. But I'm gonna say Henry is not capable of fighting back at this point, and Spurgeon doesn't really understand about what it means to hurt someone - they're babies, and i think Jessa's right to step in in that situation. I'm sure they'll be scrapping away when they're, say, 4 and 5.

I don't know why, but I always found jeans (overalls being an exception) were always super stiff and uncomfortable on my kids at that age. So I never used them. My daughter (9 today!) still doesn't really wear jeans.

20 hours ago, VeryNikeSeamstress said:

Awww. <3 Look at their coordinated plaid shirts!

I loved this when I saw this.  Obviously she did it on purpose yes?  :)

19 hours ago, flycat said:

I have been thinking about why Jessa's Instagram posts are so much better received than Jill's and I think its because the kids are the focus of a fair number of the posts with very limited Jessa in the picture whereas Jill is in almost every stinking picture. Jessa's feels more like documenting her kids and Jill feels more like "me! focus on me!"

Exactly, my sister is like this, but in her case she waited so long to have kids she was 36 when the 1st one was born and 37 when the 2nd was born, but every picture she sends and nearly every video she is there. Like these are MY KIDS I'm the MOM. She's gotten better now that they are 7 & 5 1/2 but she was quite obnoxious for awhile.

@kachuu of course she only posts the best videos that is what most moms do. Bad video and photos are only shared with close family and friends.

I love overalls on babies/toddlers, cute and make for a great carrying strap, that is a joke, but my kids would laugh when I picked them up by the back of the overalls (only for a second or 2 and never very far, they never fell or got hurt). Jeans for kids are so much softer and comfortable right now than they were even 17 years ago when my kids were this age.

15 hours ago, zenbaby said:

Nice!  The chapel was designed by Fay Jones, and he designed the Mildred B Cooper chapel in Bella Vista about an hour away, equally beautiful.  Visit it if you can.

Cooper Chapel.jpg

This is gorgeous.  My sister and I want to go to Arkansas to do some digging in the family tree, my dad and his family are from there, I'm hoping we can go this summer sometime. This isn't very close to where my dad grew up but I will have to drive through this area on my way down I would love to stop and see it.

57 minutes ago, karen77 said:

I don't know why, but I always found jeans (overalls being an exception) were always super stiff and uncomfortable on my kids at that age. So I never used them. My daughter (9 today!) still doesn't really wear jeans.

Same here. I tend to pick leggings or loose pants over jeans when I dress my daughter. Dressing her and diaper changes are tough enough already without adding in super stiff garments or tons of buttons or snaps. I’d rather just put her in a onesie, leggings, and (sometimes) pop a shirt on top for extra warmth then deal with overalls or jeans. They just aren’t practical when you have a giant 1 year old who struggles like crazy when being changed.

People always comment how I dress my kid cute all the time... other than when I put him in suspenders it really doesn't make a difference. Most overalls now also snap open at the legs too. But anyway I typically dress niceish so I like my kid to as well. Occasionally we bum it around the house and we both wear jammies all day or something. Jessa tends to look cute a lot so I could see if she wanted the same for her boys.  I don't think it's just for the videos. I tend to lean towards that too. 

I can't stand the crotch snaps for jeans/overalls. Such a nuisance! I'm with the crowd saying 'impractical!' Especially, for how often small babies/ children poop. It's exhausting. Likewise, I think toddler girls leggings are often too tight.

but it is a personal decision in how you like your child dressed/how bothersome you're willing to deal with diaper changers. I nannied for a woman who favored overalls and button up shirts (often white! :dontgetit:)for her son. I preferred loose cotton pants and t shirts. It was always extremely obvious which one of us had dressed him. :pb_lol:

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived