IGNORED

Seewalds 28: Marketing Kids as Deflection

Coconut Flan

7 minutes ago, Knight of Ni said:

The engineering field uses imperial measurements.

Structural engineering does not. :)

• Replies 668
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Knight of Ni said:

The engineering field uses imperial measurements.

Where? The structural and civil engineers in my office are all about the metric. They get pissed off when some old person comes in and wants them to talk in imperial units.

7 hours ago, zenbaby said:

Still amazes me that NASA put a man on the moon using Imperial measure.

7 hours ago, justoneoftwo said:

They did?  I thought NASA used metric like any sane scientist.  In fact didn't a group in CO cause a mars rover to crash by not doing so?

I don't know if NASA was using metric or imperial units back in the 60s and 70s, when they were doing moon landings, but in 1999, a Mars lander did crash because of a failure to use metric units.

1999: A disaster investigation board reports that NASA’s Mars Climate Orbiter burned up in the Martian atmosphere because engineers failed to convert units from English to metric.

Reminds me of this that someone posted on FJ awhile ago:

Spoiler

photo(1).JPG.c5470219f829a60f8d224f58f69f05f9.JPG

On 6.12.2017 at 4:37 PM, VineHeart137 said:

Henry tries a pickle and Benessa go on a double date. I kind of feel like these are the kinds of posts Jill is striving for but hasn't quite figured out yet. "Look how normal we are and how cute our kids are!"

Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

Man, Jessa is good at what she does. I would have to have cameras rolling 24/7 to have a chance of accidentally capturing a cute moment. She keeps producing them in a way that seems effortless. And I don't think she's neglecting her children to do it either; the interaction is real and there is genuine happiness in Henry's eyes when he is having a conversation with his mother.

The "quality time with grandma" on the other hand... 

Hmmm. I had someone tell me a few years ago that the engineers field uses imperial. My friends and I were discussing how metric is used in the science fields. One of them stated that the engineers still use imperial. I guess he didn’t know what he was talking about. Sorry.

8 hours ago, Kittikatz said:

Where? The structural and civil engineers in my office are all about the metric. They get pissed off when some old person comes in and wants them to talk in imperial units.

All over the USA. I work for an international A/E/C firm and it's ALL imperial, all the time - in the USA. Overseas, it's metric, but Stateside, every office (and every firm we work with) it's imperial on every project - even science labs. lol

7 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

I work as an engineer. Any physical dimensions and flows are all imperial. Chemical/biological are in metric. So it becomes quite fascinating how many conversions we have to utilize flow in gal/min and some organic matter in g/ml and trying to combine it together.

i

2 hours ago, Knight of Ni said:

One of them stated that the engineers still use imperial. I guess he didn’t know what he was talking about. Sorry.

You have nothing to apologize for. He does, indeed, know what he's talking about. A/E/C industry is imperial in the USA.

Editing - because where I posted "structural engineering does not" - I must have lost my mind, or read that as metric instead of imperial. Clearly, I need to quit wining-and-FJing. lol

6 hours ago, MadameOvary said:

The "quality time with grandma" on the other hand... 

Yeah, I'm not sure how much "quality time" they actually did get with Michelle. Maybe though she clutches them tight and wishes they were hers. :P *Kidding...Kinda* 

We all know Michelle is a child hoarder. 

1 hour ago, Carm_88 said:

Yeah, I'm not sure how much "quality time" they actually did get with Michelle. Maybe though she clutches them tight and wishes they were hers. :P *Kidding...Kinda* 

We all know Michelle is a child hoarder. 

Henry is still a baby so he probably did get "quality" time and Spurgie probably had a blast playing with his aunts and uncles and cousins.  I imagine the TTH is like a giant daycare center with all the toys and kids running wild, and grandma supervising Hannie supervising.

2 minutes ago, karen77 said:

We don't either (mechanical, oil and gas)

My statement was an error - I misread the post I was replying to. Structural does use imperial. 

9 hours ago, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

I don't know if NASA was using metric or imperial units back in the 60s and 70s, when they were doing moon landings, but in 1999, a Mars lander did crash because of a failure to use metric units.

Reminds me of this that someone posted on FJ awhile ago:

Reveal hidden contents

photo(1).JPG.c5470219f829a60f8d224f58f69f05f9.JPG

Ah yes, the incident that every science teacher in the late ‘90s gave as a reason to learn to convert units of measure. :pb_lol:

3 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

Henry is still a baby so he probably did get "quality" time and Spurgie probably had a blast playing with his aunts and uncles and cousins.  I imagine the TTH is like a giant daycare center with all the toys and kids running wild, and grandma supervising Hannie supervising.

Or Jana! We cannot forget Cinder Jana! :P 

Physics here, but we work with mechanical engineers. We flip back and forth between metric and imperial constantly depending on what parts we're using. It really bothers my (European) advisor! At least the conversions are standardized now.

On 12/4/2017 at 7:30 PM, Glasgowghirl said:

Agreed Ben and Jessa clearly love their boys and enjoy parenting them, Jill and Derick may love their sons but they don't seem to interact with them the way Ben and Jessa do.

Yes.   I feel like Jill and Derick -- especially Derick -- are focused on making Izzy (Sam is too young) a good little obedient rule follower and Ben and Jessa are allowing their boys' personalities to develop. One set of parents is about boxing them in, the other is about letting them blossom.   

1 hour ago, Rachel333 said:

If the US ever does switch to metric it will be... 

mass confusion.

(Sorry :pb_lol:)

The UK switched decades ago and it's still confusing because road signs are still in imperial, people still use the imperial measurements in day to life but at school I was taught metric measurements. 

Canada switched decades ago too but we still cling to some of our old ways. My kids (22 and 19) grew up with metric but they only know their height and weight in imperial. For temperature and distance they're fully metric. I can handle Celsius between 0 and 30 but for extreme temperatures I still tend to convert to Fahrenheit.

I actually think Fahrenheit is better for temperature as we typically talk about it in everyday conversation since it's more precise than Celsius.

24 minutes ago, Rachel333 said:

I actually think Fahrenheit is better for temperature as we typically talk about it in everyday conversation since it's more precise than Celsius.

Why would it need to be precise for everyday conversation?

Civil designer here (not a P.E.). In 12 and 1/2 years I've never run into anything but Imperial. My biggest headache is having to change architects' drawings from architectural units into decimal units, so they scale right in my survey backgrounds. 
I would love to switch to metric. I think it would be so much simpler!

33 minutes ago, 12 Hungry Safety Pins said:

Why would it need to be precise for everyday conversation?

Because it's easier when you're talking about fluctuations in temperature.

It's not a particularly controversial stance. I've seen a lot of people who use metric scientifically say they prefer Fahrenheit for air temperature. Here's just one article talking about it.

Both scales are obviously man-made anyway, and I don't think one is automatically superior. Different systems of measurement can be more useful for different things.

I do really like that 0 in Kelvin is absolute zero, but it's not terribly convenient for everyday use!

A bit of trivia: Anyone know the temperature at which Fahrenheit and Celsius are the same?

Spoiler

It's -40

On 12/7/2017 at 6:08 PM, Gillyweed said:

The Office is my ALL TIME favorite TV show!! I rewatch it constantly lol. The way its written makes the cringe hilarious.  I always skip the Scott's Tots episode, though. 

"Hey Mr. Scott!

Whatcha gonna do? Whatcha gonna do?

Make our dreams come true!"

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived