IGNORED

Seewalds 28: Marketing Kids as Deflection

Coconut Flan

It also doesn't get said enough that they have Jim Boob as a father, and Smuggar for a brother. Their view on men and "what's normal" is horribly skewed. How would any of the Duggar girls know how to recognize abuse? That's pretty much normal life for them.

I shudder to think of them counseling victims in a church setting, but I fear that may be the case with Jinger, Jessa,and Jill when all of their husbands have ministry positions, and Joy working at the camp. But then, these are the same girls who wrote that book about nothing way back when, of course they are counselling people.

• Replies 668
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, singsingsing said:

Ahhh, good point, @TheMustardCardigan! I have an anxiety disorder and over the past year or so I've been trying to employ mindfulness techniques to manage it, so I've become pretty good at recognizing, labeling, and observing various emotions and feelings, and oftentimes their origins/causes. It's so important for me now that I think I kind of take it for granted that it's the default mode, when it's definitely not - I can't even do it consistently now, and I most definitely wasn't doing it probably even 25% of the time in the past.

I just wanted to say YAY MINDFULNESS!! I've been working on learning it and it's so helpful.

19 hours ago, Carm_88 said:

I am someone who cries easily at times. If I'm arguing with someone, I cry. It's not that I try to use it as a weapon but if I can't clearly say what I want to say or if I say something wrong in the heat of the moment, I cry. I cannot help it and it is not me being emotionally manipulative but it very much does come across that way. It's rough and you do lose sympathy because it gets to be normal. It sucks. 

I'm the same sometimes I cry even when I'm not sad. I tell people to ignore it.

1 hour ago, Glasgowghirl said:

I'm the same sometimes I cry even when I'm not sad. I tell people to ignore it.

I usually cry at sad moments in movies, even if I know it ends happily. I never actually finished Titanic because I started crying 20 minutes in, thinking about what was going to happen. 

I also can't stand cringe in movies or TV shows. I watched 13 going on 30 recently, and I've seen it before, but the whole time I couldn't even watch the screen because the main character's actions were so embarassing for an adult (even though I know that's the actual premise for the movie, I just had so much secondhand embarrasment!) I really only kept watching it for Mark Ruffalo:)

1 hour ago, HarryPotterFan said:

I just wanted to say YAY MINDFULNESS!! I've been working on learning it and it's so helpful.

Great, what book/app or whatever are you using?

25 minutes ago, Gillyweed said:

I also can't stand cringe in movies or TV shows. I watched 13 going on 30 recently, and I've seen it before, but the whole time I couldn't even watch the screen because the main character's actions were so embarassing for an adult (even though I know that's the actual premise for the movie, I just had so much secondhand embarrasment!) I really only kept watching it for Mark Ruffalo:)

Same, I've turned things off that are too cringy for me. There are times where it takes everything in me to keep watching. 

1 hour ago, Gillyweed said:

I usually cry at sad moments in movies, even if I know it ends happily. I never actually finished Titanic because I started crying 20 minutes in, thinking about what was going to happen. 

For me, I just am anxious the whole time during certain movies. Even though I've seen them many times and know how they are resolved. Titanic is like that for me. So are the Toy Story films (lol), even though they end happily! Losing/misplacing things causes me distress, always has.

@Gillyweed and @Carm_88 I take it neither of you are fans of the The Office then? Its one of my favorites and my husband loves it too but sometimes the cringe gets to him...and there's a lot of it lol. 

48 minutes ago, JesSky03 said:

@Gillyweed and @Carm_88 I take it neither of you are fans of the The Office then? Its one of my favorites and my husband loves it too but sometimes the cringe gets to him...and there's a lot of it lol. 

The Office is my ALL TIME favorite TV show!! I rewatch it constantly lol. The way its written makes the cringe hilarious.  I always skip the Scott's Tots episode, though. 

I have the same issue with cringey stuff. I just cant watch it. I like watching the office but i fast forward through most scenes with Michael scott :pb_lol:

Mindfulness has really improved my life living with chronic pain. Jon Kabat Zinn is a really well known author (One title: Wherever you go there you are).  But I have found the Mindfulness: Finding Peace in a Frantic World more accessible. The Insight Timer app is a great resource for free guided meditations. Lots of people like the Headspace app really useful although I haven't tried it myself.

For mindfulness related stuff, I use the 'Calm' meditation app and I like it a lot. Also look into ACT (Acceptance and Commitment Therapy). I was using a workbook for it but never got around to finishing it - but I still found the exercises and techniques incredibly helpful.

I use the Calm app, too, @singsingsing - my fitness coach recommended it (she's a believer in personal development being a big part of physical fitness). it's a good one!

On 12/3/2017 at 5:06 PM, HarryPotterFan said:

My entire life is a lie. How did I not know this?

This makes absolutely zero sense to me. WHY??? Can't we all get along and use the same measurements?

Still amazes me that NASA put a man on the moon using Imperial measure.

10 minutes ago, zenbaby said:

Still amazes me that NASA put a man on the moon using Imperial measure.

They did?  I thought NASA used metric like any sane scientist.  In fact didn't a group in CO cause a mars rover to crash by not doing so?

On 12/5/2017 at 8:48 PM, Carm_88 said:

I am someone who cries easily at times. If I'm arguing with someone, I cry. It's not that I try to use it as a weapon but if I can't clearly say what I want to say or if I say something wrong in the heat of the moment, I cry. I cannot help it and it is not me being emotionally manipulative but it very much does come across that way. It's rough and you do lose sympathy because it gets to be normal. It sucks. 

I'm exactly the same. I cried today because I was hungry, but I think the stress I've been under for nearly three months straight had alot to do it too.

In short, it does suck.

47 minutes ago, PainfullyAware said:

Mindfulness has really improved my life living with chronic pain. Jon Kabat Zinn is a really well known author (One title: Wherever you go there you are).  But I have found the Mindfulness: Finding Peace in a Frantic World more accessible. The Insight Timer app is a great resource for free guided meditations. Lots of people like the Headspace app really useful although I haven't tried it myself.

Is this the 8 week plan one? There seems to be more than one on Amazon. I’m referring to the book Mindfulness: Finding Peace etc.

3 minutes ago, 2manyKidzzz said:

I got the Calm app, but then it seemed that very quickly you had to pay. 

Anyone have an experience with this?

I know when I signed up last year they had a few things available for free, but it's mostly subscription. For me the subscription is worth it, but ymmv. I've been using it as part of my treatment for a severe anxiety disorder and ADHD. I think if you're just looking to learn some basic techniques and so on, there are a lot of resources out there available for free! I wish I could link you to some, but maybe others can help?

I used to binge watch the Office, but took a break for a few years. I went to rewatch it and I couldn't do it. I couldn't stop cringing. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived