IGNORED

Seewalds 28: Marketing Kids as Deflection

Coconut Flan

6 minutes ago, Carm_88 said:

I noticed that as well and thought that it was interesting that she shared it as a story and not an instagram post. She can't get any comments on her stories. So it seems like a way of dipping her toe in and seeing about possibly bringing up Josh. I don't think that she should. Leave Josh where he belongs, in the shadows. He has company now...Derick. :P 

I've never used Instagram but if it's posted as a way no one can comment I'm sure she was avoiding the negative (appropriate) comments

• Replies 668
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Carm_88 said:

I noticed that as well and thought that it was interesting that she shared it as a story and not an instagram post. She can't get any comments on her stories. So it seems like a way of dipping her toe in and seeing about possibly bringing up Josh. I don't think that she should. Leave Josh where he belongs, in the shadows. He has company now...Derick. :P 

I'm no insta-expert, but don't stories also expire after 24 hours?  So if she gets push back, poof! Suddenly the posts are gone.  There's MUCH less accountability for stories, which is why creeps like Raquel (because let's be honest, Raquel has crossed the line into predatory creep whether she means to or not) use stories to post certain things so that they can't be called out on them as easily and reported for their posts.  

Just now, Georgiana said:

I'm no insta-expert, but don't stories also expire after 24 hours?  

They do indeed! That and the lack of comments mean that she can put Josh and Anna up there without any pushback. The internet is forever though and we have screenshots but it won't be a shitshow. 

On 11/21/2017 at 11:59 AM, AtlanticTug said:

I think it's really simple as to why Jessa goes to TTH

She is a SAHM with not a lot of (any?) hobbies, she is probably exhausted running after the 2 kids and after a while it becomes really hard to try to entertain them on your own. She has a built-in circus at TTH and can put her feet up for an hour or run errands, etc. And the kids probably like it.

I agree.  Besides, if the kids make a mess there are others to clean up, change a diaper, make a meal. 

Why mess up your own house with toys and crap when you can go where someone else can help just do it. for you? 

But to be fair,  we lived next door to my in laws and my husband was there EVERY.FRIGGING .DAY.    Come hell or high water he had to go see 'the folks'.    Would have been nice if he would have taken one of the kids but that didn't happen.    I was usually home putting them to bed.

20 minutes ago, Carm_88 said:

They do indeed! That and the lack of comments mean that she can put Josh and Anna up there without any pushback. The internet is forever though and we have screenshots but it won't be a shitshow. 

You can still comment on instagram stories. The comments aren't seen by the public but are sent as direct messages to the user who uploaded the story.

8 minutes ago, GnomeCat said:

You can still comment on instagram stories. The comments aren't seen by the public but are sent as direct messages to the user who uploaded the story.

They're not public is the key part of that. It won't be like Jill's post of Derick's GoFundMe, there will be no public backlash to the Josh thing. So people will be less likely to message Jessa about it because she won't read it anyway. 

9 hours ago, Marly said:

As a non-American, I am unfamiliar with 'cup' as a measurement. Could someone maybe tell me how much a cup is?

240ml=1 cup

For our non-American friends:  If you want to bake using American measurements, you can buy measuring cups & spoons on Amazon. :)   (I've also sent my English MIL and SIL American measuring devices so we can "translate" recipes back-and-forth.)

I came here for the HOT tag. But also to thank @dawbs for the cookie recipe, been itching to make some with the kiddo! I've never used royal icing though, is it hard to make/use?

I'm not sure about other countries, but Canadian measuring cups usually have both metric and imperial on them, and you can buy measuring spoons and the like with imperial pretty much everywhere. It seems most people just use both. I know I flip between metric and imperial depending on whatever recipe I'm following. Kind of the same as being fluent in 'label French' ('toujours frais!' 'gagnez un cafe!' lol).

Cups are a unit of volume, whereas grams are a unit of weight, so you can't say 1 cup = 320 grams (or something like that). Cups translate to different wieghts based on the density of the ingredients you're measuring. That's why it's such a pain in the ass to translate, because you have to do it for every single ingredient in every single recipe. That said, for baking, using a kitchen scale to measure ingredients by weight is recommended as it gives you much more accurate results (which can be important in baking).

5 hours ago, VineHeart137 said:

I came here for the HOT tag. But also to thank @dawbs for the cookie recipe, been itching to make some with the kiddo! I've never used royal icing though, is it hard to make/use?

ROyal icing is the kind that turns crunchy--so it's great for the outside border, but you do NOT want to ice the whole cookie with it.
I use the recipe on the wilton meringue powder box.
http://www.wilton.com/royal-icing/WLRECIP-50.html

Basically, to decorate, I do this:  https://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-decorate-cookies-with-icing-the-easiest-simplest-method-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-198240
anD use royal icing as my 'boarder icing', and regular water or milk + sugar for the flood/fill icing.
My family likes the mix of crunch and regular, but, YMMV

17 minutes ago, Carm_88 said:

Now I really, really want to make cookies for SapphireSlytherin! :) Yum! 

ftfy

It is possible she just thought it was funny/cute and didn’t have a Josh-agenda at all. We have a family group chat with Mr Ways family and I share things like that all the time. A big part of it for us though is that they live on the other side of the world. I guess Jessa and Anna probably hang out all the time. 

13 minutes ago, Iamtheway said:

It is possible she just thought it was funny/cute and didn’t have a Josh-agenda at all. We have a family group chat with Mr Ways family and I share things like that all the time. A big part of it for us though is that they live on the other side of the world. I guess Jessa and Anna probably hang out all the time. 

It's totally possible, but I do think it's impossible that she could have posted it not knowing all the baggage that would come along with it. At the very least she weighed that in her mind and decided it was worth it.

On 12/1/2017 at 7:37 PM, dawbs said:

ROyal icing is the kind that turns crunchy--so it's great for the outside border, but you do NOT want to ice the whole cookie with it.

When I was about 8 my dad and I decided to bake my mother a birthday cake. Neither of us really knew much about baking so we used a box mix. Then we found a frosting recipe in her cookbook and made it. We frosted the entire cake with royal icing. Yum! :pb_lol: Needless to say, it was not the best birthday cake ever. 

On 11/30/2017 at 11:32 PM, dawbs said:

THe trick is that you *actually* probably don't want sugar cookies--people *say* sugar cookies, but if you're going to make shapes, they MEAN things like 'rolled butter cookies.

So....here is my MIL's secret (not secret, but famous) family recipe:

1 lb margarine (4 sticks)
5c. flour (scant)
2 c. confectioners sugar
2 Tbsp milk
2 Tbsp vanilla.

Preheat oven to 325, grease cookie sheet (or use parchment paper.
Mix your ingredients (can make the dough ahead and chill)
Roll out the cookies very thick, but do NOT use flour--roll out using powdered sugar instead (on the rolling pin and counter)
ANd we do mean roll the out thick.  Cut into shapes

Bake about 20 min--do NOT brown.  Bake until tops are dry, and it's done, but don't burn.
Then ice as desired (ideally, use royal icing to edge, and do the 'flood and fill' with the very basic sugar and water or sugar and milk + coloring glaze)
These are actually better a day or 3 after they've been baked, after the glaze soaks in.

My entire life is a lie. How did I not know this?

On 12/1/2017 at 2:53 PM, adidas said:

It depends where you live outside the US. In the US a cup is around 240ml. In Australia, Canada, NZ (Commonwealth countries) it is 250ml.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cup_(unit)

This makes absolutely zero sense to me. WHY??? Can't we all get along and use the same measurements?

17 hours ago, HarryPotterFan said:

This makes absolutely zero sense to me. WHY??? Can't we all get along and use the same measurements?

Because 'Murkia fuck ya!

We are contrary children who have to do everything different than our parents did/do.  It is the only thing I can think of.

15 minutes ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

Because 'Murkia fuck ya!

We are contrary children who have to do everything different than our parents did/do.  It is the only thing I can think of.

Definitely agree. There’s absolutely no reason for The United States to stubbornly clung to the imperial measurements. I’m from The United States and I find it really annoying. The fact that an ounce can mean both a unit of weight and one of volume is especially annoying. 

Oh yay, baking discussion! This morning I made two batches of cookie dough for gingerbread men. I like the blog Sally's Baking Addiction for cookie recipes... It's generally my go-to. It's chilling in the fridge and will be ready to cut out and bake in a couple hours!

My SO's work has a cookie competition right before Christmas so I need to figure out what I'm making for that! These gingerbread men are sort of a test run for that.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived