IGNORED

Dillards 45: The Grift Goes On

Coconut Flan

Im not on Twitter but am sorely tempted to sign up .  Can someone kindly repeat what wisdom miss Cathy imparted?  I mean, Instagram. Thanks!

• Replies 612
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does Derick's brother still work for the Boy Scouts? If so, he's managing to cope with the acceptance of transgender scouts. They seem to have very different beliefs for 2 brothers. Seems like Derick has really gone off the rails. Wonder what Dan thinks of all this.

1 hour ago, grandmadugger said:

He's got a few up but this is the only one that made me go really?

Maybe Josh donated just so he could get his name out there in the public eye. 

Sorry, not sorry for thinking that way. 

7 hours ago, llg1234 said:

Jill needs PR training from Jessa (or the Bates). Posting a blurry photo of your husband's failing fundraiser is not a good way to win people over. Nothing about this looks appealing. 

Not only is it a bad, fuzzy photo, it looks like they're asking donors to pay for a vacation, not a mission trip.

^^ Well, they are!

So, uh... without the TLC paycheck how can Josh afford to donate? Did he actually sell some used cars?

I keep thinking of early episodes of Survivor (I lost interest arfter season 3). Josh and Derick's torches have been extinguished. By the time Josie gets married (if that gets filmed), I wonder how many Duggar relatives will be hiding in the 'edited out' section.

I don't tweet, but Derick changed his twitter handle and lost his verified check (blue circle with a white check in it) after they started examining accounts accused of hate speech/ right around when TLC made the announcement. From what I've read it began with white supremacists, but spread from there and IIRC he had tweeted things that weren't able to be seen in other countries, due to their hate speech laws.

Does anyone who uses twitter have more insight into this? I would normally assume if his account was already verified to him, changing the handle wouldn't negate the verification. 

Some links for what I'm talking about:

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/11/twitter-our-blue-check-marks-arent-just-about-verification/

http://money.cnn.com/2017/11/15/technology/twitter-verification-remove-new-policy/

Now, would have changing his username been enough to loose his check mark or is it based on harassing behavior (on twitter/other sites)?

2 hours ago, VeryNikeSeamstress said:

I keep thinking of early episodes of Survivor (I lost interest arfter season 3). Josh and Derick's torches have been extinguished. By the time Josie gets married (if that gets filmed), I wonder how many Duggar relatives will be hiding in the 'edited out' section.

I really want the show to start being like America's Next Top Model where they show the big group photo and erase each person who gets kicked off the show.

Also, the video thanking Josh and Anna doesn't help him at all; "look guys! A sexual predator/cheating asshole/my wife's rapist and his wife who has no choice but to stay with him gave me money!"

6 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Cathy is in Jill's instagram comments trying to defend the wreck of a child she raised. Lol

Does it ever dawn on her how pathetic it looks for a nearly 30-year-old man to have mommy come defend him?

I've only just caught up on the TLC statement etc....... my heart bleeds for them (insert sarcasm font)

So, considering he hasn't worked with TLC for 'months', is this really his best effort at working? 

At this rate he'll become being the stay at home parent and Jill will end up going out to work (insert heavy sarcasm font)

NB: There is nothing wrong with stay at home dads in the real world, but I doubt they exist in the Duggar universe. 

13 hours ago, SuchABlessing said:

I wonder if anyone has reported his fundraiser to gofundme for fraud since we know he uses the proceeds of any donation to go on vacations and not work?

I made an attempt when I first heard of it - filled out the form on gofundme and received an email saying they would look into it. However their reporting form is woefully inadequate; trying to explain in 40 characters or less that Derrick is a grifter who will use that money for religious proselytising and his own families' personal use is incredibly hard.  Hopefully they get enough reports come through. Also I think fundraising for religious purposes is against GFM's rules, so there's that.

18 minutes ago, CoveredInBees said:

At this rate he'll become being the stay at home parent and Jill will end up going out to work (insert heavy sarcasm font)

Oh, Jill will end up going to work alright. With a husband who is so desperately unwilling to lift a finger that he thanks his wife's abuser for donating a couple of quid, she will have no choice one of these days, after the money's run out.

@12 Hungry Safety Pins

And if she ever does bring in the money for the family (and I daresay it won't be anything other than TLC paychecks) she'll never get any credit for it because of the whole lack of male genitalia thing ;) 

The comment I was referring to up thread was on instagram. Some humper was complaining about everyone not having their facts straight for calling him a grifter, another person replied talking about the program, saying dWRECK's group only meets once a week, etc, and Catchy jumped in and replied to that person with "Where do YOU get your "facts"?" or something of the sort.

8 hours ago, grandmadugger said:

when he starts to thank a child molester publicly then we have problems.  This man needs to be stopped. 

8 hours ago, grandmadugger said:

when he starts to thank the very guy who not only tipped his wife over the edge, but shaked the core of the family, what is he thinking? these people are all insane.  This is like so wrong it's not even funny.  I can't stand this.  He needs to seriously stop with this. 

I was going to share a photo Deanna posted of her with the boys, but I’m enjoying the Derick hate too much to distract anyone from it. 

Cathy’s Instagram comments mentioned previously:

C93FB924-9A73-4D61-B7E0-7FCF29CD1D5A.thumb.png.928c49f078e061e9161fd17521b187c4.png

Spoiler

0CBA4256-C32C-4C29-91D4-CA771F99E391.thumb.png.acdb125fe702b4aa3189e49a86e70f03.png

And a second comment I saw:

Spoiler

C8CF8201-86FA-491B-8440-4D4B452F75F1.thumb.png.a629531bffb2db62d8b4ab60c063cb33.png

Spoiler

5CD1A6DB-9FD0-4E24-9ED0-A05B3FC2CF60.thumb.png.c26c37953643675e5aaea37b0f0a0702.png

Spoiler

9B4A8507-A463-4489-B507-ED13E8E0E4BE.thumb.png.07a2920cf8896306f8577495c8cb50c1.png

Pretty sure I got the order right, but I could be wrong. You get the general idea though. I’m sure there were other comments, these were just the two I saw first.

Interesting that Cathy keeps telling people they're assuming things and don't know all the facts, but doesn't set the record straight by posting said facts???

Yep! Those were what I was talking about. Typical Trumpkin response. "YOU'RE WRONG AND NO I'M NOT GOING TO TELL YOU WHY YOU'RE WRONG BECAUSE YOU'RE ACTUALLY PROBABLY RIGHT"

1 hour ago, purjolok84 said:

I made an attempt when I first heard of it - filled out the form on gofundme and received an email saying they would look into it. However their reporting form is woefully inadequate; trying to explain in 40 characters or less that Derrick is a grifter who will use that money for religious proselytising and his own families' personal use is incredibly hard.  Hopefully they get enough reports come through. Also I think fundraising for religious purposes is against GFM's rules, so there's that.

The thing is, I don’t think this violates their terms of use. He’s stated the funds will be used for his Cross Church program, which we know he is enrolled in. Yeah, he has a very shady past history with grifting, but GoFundMe may only be concerned about how he acts while using their services specifically. 

And someone else mentioned using the site for religion, but I also didn’t see anything about religious uses being against the Terms of Use. I honestly could have missed it - that happens a lot when my eyes glaze over with boredom. They do allow fundraising for educational purposes though, which this likely would qualify for (unfortunately.)

And for anyone interested, here’s the FAQ page for Cross Church School of Ministry:

http://www.crosschurchschool.com/about/faqs/

Highlights -

1. One international mission and two North American missions.

2. You can earn credit towards a degree through the program. You have to go through one of their partner schools - I have no clue how good those schools may be. If the school you want isn’t listed and you’re interested in the program, then they said they’re willing to try and help you work with that school to have your credit hours accepted.

3. It’s a residency program, which means you work closely under the supervision of a member of the Ministry staff. Participants attend upper staff meetings, work with budget issues, and develop and do ministry in context. Apparently this is different than an internship, which they described as being more menial or low level help?

4. Women are allowed. Not sure if they’d be pursuing the same types of ministry as the men or not. The ministry examples listed for them was heavily focused on kids though.

5. Housing is optional. Cost without housing is $10,000 - with housing its $12,000. Derick is asking for $10,000 through the fundraiser, so either they chose off-campus housing or they decided to pay that cost themselves. 

6. Program does not qualify for state or federal financial aid because they’re a private and independent school. Fundraising is highly encouraged. 

I think Derick would've caught flack for the grifring either way, but it's considerably worse now because they got busted once with Dillard Ministries then went back and asked for $24K. Now they're asking for yet more money. I think if Derick had provided the transparency mentioned, the backlash would be less. Or if Cathy would answer the questions rather than just incite everyone.  But their whole schtick is persecution and acting the part of the martyr, and she only reinforces his behavior.

Also, someone further up mentioned Dan and what he thinks, I don't think for one second he doesn't have the same ugly beliefs his mother and brother do. He just married someone that's more mainstream. I'm sure Cathy has been filling both of her sons' heads with hate since they were young. 

1 hour ago, VelociRapture said:

Housing is optional. Cost without housing is $10,000 - with housing its $12,000. Derick is asking for $10,000 through the fundraiser, so either they chose off-campus housing or they decided to pay that cost themselves. 

How are they expecting to do any of this when D doesn't have a job- they've still got to pay for food, housing and goodness knows what else for their two little ones. Makes me wish Jill could/would work (as a doula/birthing partner) to bring in some more income as that, to me, would be less controversial than asking the "heathens" for money.

I wonder what type of housing Cross Church provides. Even in a VERY low-COL area, $2000 for a year can't pay for more than a tiny dorm room, right? Maybe that's why they opted out. Not exactly family friendly. I do wonder where the Dillards are living, though. They clearly are in some type of apartment/no longer in the pool house.

God, I'm so glad my mother doesn't have social media. I'm a "journalist" (using air quotes because I mostly do local touristy/feature story-type writing) and every time a random person has something nasty to say on one of my articles, my mother comments back in my defense (last time, it was a woman who was angry I didn't include pictures of her hairless cats in a pet parade photoblog I threw together...yeah.) I appreciate it and all, but it is kind of embarrassing!

I wonder if Derick appreciates his mother's meddling. It wouldn't be as bad if it was Jill coming to his defense, but this almost-30-year-old-man's mother? Come on. 

23 minutes ago, JillyO said:

I wonder what type of housing Cross Church provides. Even in a VERY low-COL area, $2000 for a year can't pay for more than a tiny dorm room, right? Maybe that's why they opted out. Not exactly family friendly. I do wonder where the Dillards are living, though. They clearly are in some type of apartment/no longer in the pool house.

It says on the FAQ that they work with local duplex, house, and apartment realtors. It also says you can expect to have a roommate and that co-ed housing is obviously not an option. 

The Dills likely moved to an apartment building closer to the campus Derick is doing his residency at/attending classes at. I think your guess of needing family friendly accommodations is the most likely explanation. 

31 minutes ago, thinandfit said:

How are they expecting to do any of this when D doesn't have a job- they've still got to pay for food, housing and goodness knows what else for their two little ones. Makes me wish Jill could/would work (as a doula/birthing partner) to bring in some more income as that, to me, would be less controversial than asking the "heathens" for money.

They likely have money stashed away from the show and various magazine articles. Possibly money from the book Jill and her sisters “wrote” as well. Even if they don’t, I seriously doubt their parents would let them starve. It’s also possible they’re staying in a family property, though I have zero ideas if the Duggars own anything in whatever area the Dills are in right now.

I also doubt they need much money for the boys at the moment. They can reuse Izzy's old stuff for Sam, borrow a lot of what they may need, or thrift shop if they need to. They likely aren’t paying for childcare - which can be a huge amount of money depending on various factors - and I doubt they’ll be enrolling them in preschool (Izzy would probably be old enough for preschool next year.) I’d guess the biggest expenses for the boys would likely be diapers, especially if Izzy isn’t potty trained yet, and food (which might not be much if Jill is exclusively breastfeeding Samuel.)

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived