IGNORED

What is the strangest name you have found in your family tree?

Carm_88

Grandmas Louguardus and LaVaJa.  The first one went by Lou.  The second one didn’t like her fairly common first name, so actually went by LaVaJa.  My own grandma didn’t like her first name, Myrtle, so went by her middle name, Ann.  This caused hard feelings, because she was part of an “M” naming scheme (like the Duggars “J”). 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Alisamer said:

I like the odd names. Much easier to keep up with than the long strings of "John Smith" and the zillions of Sarahs and Marys.

Me too! My grandfather's name is unique; I can just Google it and find all kinds of interesting things.

• Upvote 2

• 2 months later...

The name that comes to mind wasn't part of my family tree: Sylvanus.

Seriously, any name with the word ''anus'' should be banned.

It was for a university reaserch paper on early 20th century French-Canadian communities in Massachusetts and Maine. Still haven't forgotten the name, even if my B.A was almost 10 years ago.

• 1 year later...

Nothing too unusual in my tree.  About the closest was that my paternal grandmother's name was Celestine.  When I first learned her name I thought that unusual because I thought it was usually a man's name but it's not all that uncommon for women to be named Celestine.  The Filipino entertainer Toni Gonzaga's given name is Celestine, and it's also the given name for businesswoman Tina Knowles. 

One thing I did notice in researching my family history was that for the first generation or two after arrival they tended to use the German spelling of their names instead of English.  Same with some of their graves.  The inscriptions would all be in German and not English.  Where I lived in Iowa a lot of people came from the German speaking regions of Europe and continued in using the language for some time after the arrival while learning English and assimilating into American society.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.