• Apple
  • Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal
Palimpsest

Welcome and Intros!

UnImpressed
Palimpsest

So here's our new dog club.  All and any dog talk. Lots of topics, many photos (I hope), and much sharing of information.

To get things rolling: I've been a dog lover and owner most of my life.  I think most people probably know about my love of retired racing greyhounds and sighthounds in general, but I've owned several breeds and mixes over the years.  The dogs I have at the moment are:  Little Guy, a 7 year old Galgo Espagnol, and Miss W, a two year old Lurcher.   

Next!

CorruptionInc.

Hello again,

I have an 8 month old Golden Labrador who is spoilt rotten, always has humans with her and still manages to find the time to eat all the garden furniture! :my_blush:

InTheNameofRufus

Hello!

I have a 9 year old, 7 lb short haired chihuahua that does not bark and is afraid of her own shadow. I rescued her at two years old after she had been in two separate abusive situations. It took about a year for her to gain the trust of DH and my sons, but now she thinks she is a human member of the family. She sleeps in our beds, and patiently waits for "people food" when we eat (but she doesn't get any, then gives us attitude when she eats her dog food!) Love her to death though, she is my little buddy!! 

Nikedagain?

Hi! I have 3 foster failure cats who absolutely are my moon and stars and a 15.5 year old jack russell that had a stroke in february. I am getting to a point where I know I will have to make a difficult decision soon, but let's not talk about that now, I'll cry.

My problem is Hurricane Luna. Luna is a 5 month and one week old bundle of energy in the form of a german shepherd. I have only had geriatric dogs for the last few years and rescued them as young adults. So puppy time...

Luna was purchased from a breeder by a family known to me by a mutual cat foster friend. These friends knew that I was thinking about adopting a shelter dog-older puppy or a lab mix from our local rescue to *possibly* train as an ASD companion dog for my daughter. This family found that she was just too much work and wanted her gone. So here we are. I think that she has spent the majority of her time crated over the last 3 months. She is VERY sweet, and very smart. But OMG the energy. She knocks over my kid, has traumatized the cats and ripped my arms from their shoulder sockets on the leash. 

This all came at a bad time! I had finals this week and next, I'm working a ton because so many people are out sick with flu and vacations. But I've lined up some dog walking and even an adventure hike (that is a thing! who knew?) that my budget will allow for the next few weeks. We are doing the training classes at Petco starting in January. They are doing a leash "workshop" with her next week. So we are getting there. But my main concern is the barking and chasing the cats. She is very BARKY. At everything. And she lunges, but once someone stops and pets her, she is fine. But the cat thing seems to be more of an issue. The cats are not speaking to me. They've been taking their meals under my bed for 6 days and at night, I've caught all 3 of them trying to sleep on my face at once. They're plotting, I just know it. Will they every co-exist?

At 5 months is it too late to break these bad habits? I don't know much about German Shepherds at all. 

Any advice is very welcome. 

UnImpressed
Palimpsest
On 12/8/2017 at 11:21 PM, Nikedagain? said:

At 5 months is it too late to break these bad habits? I don't know much about German Shepherds at all. 

I don't know much about German Shepherds, although we had one when I was very young.  I can speak more generally about dogs though.  Luna is still very much a puppy and absolutely she can still be trained out of those behaviors!  It is never too late. 

She has a lot of energy so the more exercise she gets the better.  The dog walking and the adventure hike you have lined up will help a lot with that.

The poor kid (how old?), and cats though!  First things first:  Never reinforce Luna jumping on the kid by giving attention to her.  If possible the kid should turn their back and walk away into another room if she lunges at them.  Or put a leash on Luna and ask for a sit before kid pets her.   No pets unless she sits.  Jumping = not "punishment" but negative reinforcement like removal of Luna or the kid from the situation.  

Re. the cats:  baby gates are your friend at the moment.  The cats will appreciate some peace so try to leave them safe space.  You can pick a room the cats like and install a tension baby gate with enough space at the top and bottom so the cats (but not Luna) can get under or over if she gets too much for them.  And yes, I'm sure they have a plan for revenge up their furry little sleeves. :D

I don't know much about Petco training but make sure whoever teaches it is uses positive techniques.  I'm not a dog trainer and I think having an up-to-date professional to help is best but you can look at videos and research in advance too. 

I recommend reading or looking at videos of training techniques by Pat Miller and Karen Pryor.  We are very keen on clicker training in this household. And it works!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clicker_training 

I also use modified Nothing In Life Is Free (NILIF) techniques, although I prefer to call them "Say, Please."  This is a really good article on "Say, Please."   http://www.quickanddirtytips.com/pets/dog-behavior/should-you-use-“nothing-in-life-is-free”-with-your-dog

I'm always surprised by how fast dogs pick it up.  When Miss W came home she was just a 12 months old puppy straight from a farm, completely untrained on the leash, and hadn't ever been in a house before.  She learned within a day (multiple short lessons though) that leashes are not put on unless dogs stay still, and to wait at the door for a "let's go" before we went through it.   She learned "sit" the next day, but is still working on a truly reliable "stay."  

She has a very good "leave it!" though.  Luna needs to learn how to do that with the cats.

I hope this helps a bit.

On 12/8/2017 at 11:21 PM, Nikedagain? said:

15.5 year old jack russell that had a stroke in february. I am getting to a point where I know I will have to make a difficult decision soon, but let's not talk about that now, I'll cry.

I really know the feeling.  My JRT lived to 17 and I still miss her 13 years later.  I think I held on too long with her though (she had dementia) but it is easy to second guess ourselves.

Edited by Palimpsest

UnImpressed
Palimpsest

@InTheNameofRufus, your chihuahua sounds lovely.  Good for you for being so patient with a dog who came from an abusive home.

@Curious also has chihuahuas.  

WiseGirl

Hello,

Proud owner of two rescue  foster fails. Older one is a Pomeranian, 8, had him for six years, and I am his person. Younger dog is a mix, she has been with us for two years  possible Boykin Spaniel/Dachshund/??? mix. Legend has it she was rescued by a dumpster. She is reactive (we've been to training, somewhat better), still reactive/still acts out of fear. Pomeranian has suddenly become more possessive of me with "little dog syndrome."  Any advice is welcome to curb that! Not a fan!