IGNORED

Young Girls "Courting" Adult Men

Ralar

On 11/15/2017 at 8:59 AM, bekkah said:

Wow, good catch.  I had no idea that the Elsie Dinsmore books were about here growing into a relationship with older men.  I do remember that doug and his ilk were teaching that fathers should provide affection to their daughters "otherwise they would seek it out from shady men."

I do remember that my father was much more touchy with my sisters than I felt comfortable with.  I remember having guests over and having one of my sisters reclining on the couch with Dad's arms around her and thinking "awkward" as our guests looked uncomfortably around.  To this day I have no idea the level of affection a father should show his adult daughters, but I would stay away from what I saw at home.

Is the movement still obsessed with this whole young girl older guy thing?  Or has it gone just the fundy fringes? I remember the whole Lindvall / Maranatha thing from years back, which even then creeped me out, but I left the movement in the 2000s and haven't visited a homeschool convention since.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/17/2017 at 3:49 PM, RulerOfTheQueensNavy said:

Wow, good catch.  I had no idea that the Elsie Dinsmore books were about here growing into a relationship with older men.  I do remember that doug and his ilk were teaching that fathers should provide affection to their daughters "otherwise they would seek it out from shady men."

I do remember that my father was much more touchy with my sisters than I felt comfortable with.  I remember having guests over and having one of my sisters reclining on the couch with Dad's arms around her and thinking "awkward" as our guests looked uncomfortably around.  To this day I have no idea the level of affection a father should show his adult daughters, but I would stay away from what I saw at home.

Is the movement still obsessed with this whole young girl older guy thing?  Or has it gone just the fundy fringes? I remember the whole Lindvall / Maranatha thing from years back, which even then creeped me out, but I left the movement in the 2000s and haven't visited a homeschool convention since.

It always scares me how they have the dad take on this "boyfriend" role in circles where real boyfriends are not allowed, in which the fathers and daughters adore eachother in this infantilzed but romantic manner like manner. Like how the Botkin girls always hold their dad's arm and look eerily lovingly at him. Come to think of it, I still have my copy of So Much More, complete with my own mark ups. I adhered to it's tenets briefly as a teenager. I would love to start a thread of my (re)findings, not only would be carthartic for me in this transitional space in my life, but I think it woukd be a great resource for new members who are not familiar with the stay at home daughter movement. It's riddled with emotional incest and double standards.

• 1 month later...

This is disturbing and sobering. It's like child brides. I know couples with age differences, but both were emotionally mature enough to form a relationship, not forced into a courtship. I wish I could help these poor girls in some way. 

If grown ass men ever came sniffing around me or my sister when we were teenagers, our parents would make sure the perverts disappeared. We were only allowed to date within our own age group. It would not matter how well off these men were or what they're social standing was.

I have to say, in our family and social circles, if there were any teen brides, the groom was also just as young. Grown men with teenage girls was not common at all. It was actually seen as perverted. And I'm from Alabama...the fundiest state a.k.a Talibama, where this stuff is supposed to be rampant.

Archived