IGNORED

How to get started

samurai_sarah

9 hours ago, Carm_88 said:

@AprilQuilt Don't rule out anything though! You really never know. 

very true! I feel like Huguenot is a particularly romantic option, though - my mum would love it - so it's not a conclusion I want to jump to but arrive at with careful documentation, if that makes sense?

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, AprilQuilt said:

very true! I feel like Huguenot is a particularly romantic option, though - my mum would love it - so it's not a conclusion I want to jump to but arrive at with careful documentation, if that makes sense?

Would be so exciting though, but I completely agree with the need for careful documentation. Family lore and legends are fun, and all that, but certainty is better. :)

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, samurai_sarah said:

Would be so exciting though, but I completely agree with the need for careful documentation. Family lore and legends are fun, and all that, but certainty is better. :)

plus a lot of my research so far has been realising that my forebears told a lot of tall tales. Of course our ancestor didn't discover nutmeg. What a ridiculous suggestion.

• Upvote 4

• 1 year later...

Any advice for finding U.S. census information? I keep getting sent to the 1940 as the most recent. What would be the Canadian equivalent?  Very much a newbie, as I just started this weekend. Do most people join Ancestry?

On 7/21/2019 at 2:16 PM, WiseGirl said:

Any advice for finding U.S. census information? I keep getting sent to the 1940 as the most recent. What would be the Canadian equivalent?  Very much a newbie, as I just started this weekend. Do most people join Ancestry?

Assuming you're an American, most public libraries have a subscription to Ancestry. I'd recommend checking locally and trying it out before you bother paying for your own subscription.

1940 is the most recent US Census that has been released, 1950 will be released in April 2022 (after 72 years). The most recent full Canadian Census that has been released is 1921 (there's a 1926 Census of the Prairie Provinces- Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba that's available too), 1931 should be released in 2023 (after 92 years). Here's a link that explains the available Canadian records. https://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/census/Pages/census.aspx

If you're having trouble locating someone that should be in the census, you can try looking for multiple spellings of the name or even look for the first name along with other information (such as location, age, names of other family members, etc) leaving the last name blank. I have a couple of relatives whose last names were so garbled in the transcription that my regular searches couldn't identify them, but, for example, by narrowing down to Andrew married to Margaret living in X town in 1880, I could find them. 

Edited by Bethella
adding a word
  • Upvote 3
  • Thank You 1

I've also resorted to, if I know a specific location, putting in the last name without a first name so I can see all of the last name living in a town or county.  (which led me to find a great grandmother at one address, her sister, brother, grandfather and a couple of others at a second address and I think her father and uncle at a third address with no sign of her mother or another sister anywhere).  

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1

• 1 year later...

Finding your royal roots.  From the useful charts channel

Spoiler

And the video before that one is spoilered it’s about is everyone related to royalty.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.