IGNORED

Maxwell 15: Simplifying Thanksgiving into Less than Regular Dinner

Coconut Flan

I am finally catching up on this thread and haven’t made it through all the posts, so apologies if someone has already mentioned this.

The Maxwells did a Q&A session at their Wichita conference three years ago. One of the sons mentioned being spanked as a child and they all laughed. It has been a while so I don’t remember for sure, but I think it might have been Jesse making the comment. It might not be on the blog, but they were very open about it during that session. 

One of the more recent Suddenly Steve emails (Suddenly Steve is what Mr. Allison and I call the Seriously Dads emails) has Steve warning about the dangers of adapting. I read it as a passive aggressive jab at John and Chelsy’s warm relationship. Steve has been on a rant lately about raising children and the sacrifices fathers make. I have a feeling this engagement has him spinning a bit. John might be with the family for the yearly anti-abortion protest, but he is definitely making a life that is at least partially out of order for the Maxwells. 

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That wiki entry has a lot of things right, but I wonder where the got the info from. 

I have a different date for Melanie's birthday (whose middle name is apparently Sue!). I have September 7, 1975, and the wiki has September 1, 1975. Can anyone confirm one or the other?

Steve's birth name and his parents are mentioned, just that they got divorced when he was a teenager. 

This is very interesting. 

Well the data clearly isn’t wildly inaccurate. It’s easier to know when the kidults and grandkids were born since they’ve been mentioned on the blog. 

54 minutes ago, anjulibai said:

That wiki entry has a lot of things right, but I wonder where the got the info from. 

I have a different date for Melanie's birthday (whose middle name is apparently Sue!). I have September 7, 1975, and the wiki has September 1, 1975. Can anyone confirm one or the other?

Steve's birth name and his parents are mentioned, just that they got divorced when he was a teenager. 

This is very interesting. 

I have Melanie Sue born September 7, 1975 but I don't remember the source of that information.

54 minutes ago, anjulibai said:

Thanks @Bethella - maybe I got that info from you? 

I'm not sure, I can't find a post giving that date. But I did find @NotALoserLikeYou posted that Melanie's birthday is September 1, so maybe mine is a typo and she knows the source of the information?

I got that info from one of those online background check websites (don't remember which one now) and they are not always accurate. Now when I just looked on spokeo it says January 1975, and that's wrong. I don't know where 9/7 came from but that could be right. Sorry I can't be of further help!

@Bethella @anjulibai

Mylife.com lists it as 9/1/1975 but again, could be wrong 

Titus2 just said "early September"

Sometimes my back pain will flare.  Lying on the floor can help, at least temporarily.  But I have no idea what Teri has on her head.

That's a cousin to the cervical placement device they gave me in PT.  I spent 20 minutes a day with my neck in it on the floor for about six months, but it did work. 

@anjulibai @NotALoserLikeYou I went back and checked, September 7 was already on the list when I received it back in late August 2016, so I have no idea where the information originated. At this point I'm guessing September 1 is the right date.

I was super happy for the kidults when I saw that the Thanksgiving List included doing a Turkey Trot!

Then I scrolled down to the pictures and saw that said trot was just the sibs...running...down a country road.

Part of the fun of doing a race is the adrenaline rush from all the participants! And the swag! And the music! And - oh wait, the Maxwells aren’t allowed to have fun. My bad.

47 minutes ago, snowfootwaltz said:

I was super happy for the kidults when I saw that the Thanksgiving List included doing a Turkey Trot!

Then I scrolled down to the pictures and saw that said trot was just the sibs...running...down a country road.

Part of the fun of doing a race is the adrenaline rush from all the participants! And the swag! And the music! And - oh wait, the Maxwells aren’t allowed to have fun. My bad.

But they had a whole 6 siblings! 

7 minutes ago, mango_fandango said:

Where is Teri wearing something weird on her head??

In photos 6/7 of this post:

Oh I see it now. What a bizarre photo. It looks like Teri just fainted or died or something. 

19 hours ago, AllisonWndrland said:

I have a feeling this engagement has him spinning a bit. John might be with the family for the yearly anti-abortion protest, but he is definitely making a life that is at least partially out of order for the Maxwells. 

I think Steve approved it. It wouldn't have happened otherwise. If John had really rebelled he'd have had a Orwellian 1984 revision from the family blog. But I do think the announcement by Chelsey's family was NOT to Steve's plan or liking. After that very public last-minute end to a courtship I think he wanted the "I do's" done and the blood on the sheet displayed first. I imagine that is how he wants any others still to come announced too. I do not expect any of these kids to stray very far from the party line--at least not right away. Maybe down the road but that's a long ways away imho. Her family has the same beliefs and values--they just "spin" it all better.

41 minutes ago, mango_fandango said:

Oh I see it now. What a bizarre photo. It looks like Teri just fainted or died or something. 

We're not used to seeing someone lie flat on their back on the floor, but for those of us with back problems it's not that unfamiliar.  I've never used anything like this, but I use pelvic blocks sometimes -- brick-sized wedges I put under my hips while I lie flat for a few minutes.  I also have a soft soccer-size ball I sometime put under/between my shoulder blades while I lie flat.  I'm sure those are both an odd sight for anyone who doesn't know what I'm doing!

Different things help different people.  I agree it looks startling until you're used to it.  I'm guessing they didn't intend to spotlight Teri but it's probably become invisible to them and the photo got posted without them realizing she was visible at first.

I just noticed something.  When the post first came up, you could make every picture bigger.  Now you can make each picture bigger except one.  Yep, the one that shows Terri lying on the floor! 

The lying on the back for back issues thing makes sense, it’s just odd that it was featured. Oh well, it may just be that they didn’t notice. At least Teri gets legit help for her back rather than just relying on prayer and woo. Funny how physical problems are OK to be checked out by a proper physio yet mental health issues just need prayer. Mental health gets so shafted these days even in the secular community.

6 minutes ago, SPHASH said:

I don't see any pics of Griselda Teri lying on the floor.

It's in the picture of Anna putting up decorations on the fireplace 

3 hours ago, IReallyAmHopewell said:

But I do think the announcement by Chelsey's family was NOT to Steve's plan or liking. After that very public last-minute end to a courtship I think he wanted the "I do's" done and the blood on the sheet displayed first. I imagine that is how he wants any others still to come announced too.

Yes, this is my feeling. Steve may have approved it, but in John's case, I think Steve knows he might only be able to push him so far. I'm not sure if any of the Maxwell children have the ability to rebel too far, so even a slight rebellion is a powerful one. John has that history of being the "difficult" one. That may be a very powerful position to hold in a family like theirs. Steve appears to require loads of approval from outsiders and publicly disapproving of John's choice in Chelsy is inviting scrutiny Steve doesn't want after two other broken engagements. His last few Suddenly Steves have been so angry and aggressive in discussing children and fathers that I can't help but wonder what is going on behind the constant smiles on the blog. 

As far as Chelsy's family dressing it up better, absolutely. They're one of the families that make that life look pretty and wholesome and uplifting. 

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived