IGNORED

Hollywood's Next Creep

Rachel333

1 minute ago, clueliss said:

Sigh wtf Angela landsbury?  Victim blaming?  It’s the woman’s fault for dressing that way?  

and nbc has canned Matt Lauer over allegations according to my,local news just now.  

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcnews.com/storyline/harvey-weinstein-scandal/nbc-news-fires-today-anchor-matt-lauer-after-sexual-misconduct-n824831/amp

Matt, you done fucked up somehow. 

• Upvote 3

I am seriously beginning to wonder whether there’s anyone decent in Hollywood. 

At the same time, I’m wondering how serious things have to be for decisive action to be taken of some kind. It’s different being accused of one or two (give or take) incidents a few decades ago, but some (like Weinstein) are being accused of lots of incidents over a long period. Obviously any kind of incident is bad, but there is a difference.

• Upvote 7

1 hour ago, mango_fandango said:

I am seriously beginning to wonder whether there’s anyone decent in Hollywood. 

At the same time, I’m wondering how serious things have to be for decisive action to be taken of some kind. It’s different being accused of one or two (give or take) incidents a few decades ago, but some (like Weinstein) are being accused of lots of incidents over a long period. Obviously any kind of incident is bad, but there is a difference.

I am thinking the same thing too. I have lost faith in the government and now Hollywood. I think this is only beginning, more men will be fired. 

• Upvote 5

There have been some accusations in the UK government but right now we have more important stuff, ie Brexit, to deal with. Kevin Spacey is more current in the news right now because he was artistic director at a famous theatre over here in London for several years, his tenure ended quite recently.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Penny said:

I am thinking the same thing too. I have lost faith in the government and now Hollywood. I think this is only beginning, more men will be fired. 

I’m beginning to agree with SNL that everyone really is a sex monster:

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/11/29/567241644/garrison-keillor-accused-of-inappropriate-behavior-minnesota-public-radio-says

• Upvote 4

On 11/11/2017 at 9:15 AM, clueliss said:

I picked this up fro writer Amy Berg’s twitter feed.  Supergirl and The Flash have suspended production due to allegations against the show runner.

http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/warner-bros-sexual-harassment-andrew-kreisberg-1202612522/

Update on this, the CW fired this guy and he’s lost his deal with them.  Probably endangering several CW shows.  

• Upvote 3

Not shocked; Kirstie Alley has always been a turd. I live in fear of LeVar Burton turning out to be a creep. The fact that there are powerful men facing actual consequences is heartening though!!

• Upvote 13

3 hours ago, clueliss said:

Update on this, the CW fired this guy and he’s lost his deal with them.  Probably endangering several CW shows.  

Oh man, shows I love it got super behind on. I hope all the talented people working on these shows keep their jobs! 

In other news, Geraldo Rivera is an asshole. 

• Upvote 2

I've got a running list in my head of "men I don't want to get involved in scandal."  That includes Rick Steves, Steven Colbert, the Rock, and Rod Serling (posthumously.)

While I don't live in Hollywood, this has been coming at me from all sides.  My area has a growing improv scene, and I'm on an improv team.  Over the summer, one of the most prominent improv/comedy theatres in the area closed abruptly when multiple women accused the owner of sexual assault and harassment.  A man who left the area to found an improv theatre in a different city announced that he was moving back and buying the old theatre space to create a new theatre.  Now multiple women from the OTHER theatre he founded are coming forward.  His behavior isn't as severe as the old owner, but he has said problematic things, cultivated a culture of sexual harassment, and didn't follow through when women reported harassment.

• Upvote 5

9 hours ago, FecundFundieFundus said:

Oh. And Geraldo himself has some creeptastic allegations against him. Bette Midler accused him in 1991 of drugging and groping her in the '70s.

Not surprised he's one of the creeps. It explains his strict rules about victims coming forward. 

Ugh I was listening to the radio on my way to work and they were talking about Lauer and one of the (male) hosts said he doesn't understand why it takes so long for people to come forward. I almost called in to tear him a new one.

1 minute ago, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

I'm sure it doesn't/can't include every person accused of sexual misconduct recently, but here's a list from NBC.

https://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/sexual-misconduct/weinstein-here-s-growing-list-men-accused-sexual-misconduct-n816546

Thanks! I was thinking I need something like this (actually I wanted a list of people who haven't been accused/done anything because that would probably be shorter) I hope they keep it updated.

• Upvote 7

10 hours ago, GeoBQn said:

I've got a running list in my head of "men I don't want to get involved in scandal."  That includes Rick Steves, Steven Colbert, the Rock, and Rod Serling (posthumously.)

My "please no" list would be Bill Murray, David Strathairn, Raul Julia (posthumously), Jackson Browne, Robert Redford.  Oh, and Justin Trudeau.  Jimmy Carter.  Obama.

• Upvote 9

Jimmy Carter is the Mr. Rogers of politics. I firmly believe our sweet peanut man, LeVar Burton and Mr. Rogers are all beautiful humans with sensitive souls and if any of them turn out to have been sex pests I will expire. 

• Upvote 12
  • Love 4

Put Kyle Chandler at the top of my please, no list. He was the guy who got tomorrow's paper today on Earlybird Edition, the coach on Friday Night Lights, and a role on Bloodline.

• Upvote 4
  • Love 1

My please no list: Obama, John Prine, Keith Olberman, Jamie Raskin, Ray Wylie Hubbard, Joss Whedon, David Simon, Andre Braugher

Posthumously: Steve Goodman, Guy Clark, Wallace Stegner. 

• Upvote 3
  • Love 1

On 11/30/2017 at 10:03 AM, church_of_dog said:

My "please no" list would be Bill Murray, David Strathairn, Raul Julia (posthumously), Jackson Browne, Robert Redford.  Oh, and Justin Trudeau.  Jimmy Carter.  Obama.

I've heard Jackson Browne has been accused of domestic violence.  This really pissed me off because his voice is like velvet.

Edited by onekidanddone
  • Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, onekidanddone said:

I've heard Jackson Browne has been accused of domestic violence.  This really pissed me off because his voice is like velvet.

Yeah, I wasn't entirely sure about him.  But there is (or seemed to be, at least) so much that is ethical in his music lyrics, that it would be an additional punch in the gut to have to think it's not really who he is...  But I'm hard and cynical now and truly wouldn't be surprised by much.

I guess the whole concept of celebrity is that they put forth a persona and that causes us to feel like we know them personally, know who they are, but we really don't.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 3

4 hours ago, onekidanddone said:

My please no list: Obama, John Prine, Keith Olberman, Jamie Raskin, Ray Wylie Hubbard, Joss Whedon, David Simon, Andre Braugher

Posthumously: Steve Goodman, Guy Clark, Wallace Stegner. 

Joss Whedon has been revealed to be a huge jerk, espousing feminism while treating the women in his life horribly. His ex-wife recently (though a little before this current trend started) wrote about what a hypocrite he is. https://www.thewrap.com/joss-whedon-feminist-hypocrite-infidelity-affairs-ex-wife-kai-cole-says/

Edited by Rachel333
  • Upvote 1
  • Sad 2

Possibly unpopular opinion: having an affair that is completely consensual (ie no power imbalances, no pressure) is a really shitty thing to do but doesn't necessarily mean you can't be described as a feminist. Some people are bad spouses but good otherwise.  

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, Rachel333 said:

Joss Whedon has been revealed to be a huge jerk, espousing feminism while treating the women in his life horribly. His ex-wife recently (though a little before this current trend started) wrote about what a hypocrite he is. https://www.thewrap.com/joss-whedon-feminist-hypocrite-infidelity-affairs-ex-wife-kai-cole-says/

Well crap, another one to cross off my list. :my_sad:

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 1