IGNORED

Lori Alexander 33: Counting Everyone's Calories

After reading today's post, I got to thinking about some out of state aunts and uncles that my family visited when I was around nine or ten. They were relatives of my biological father. A little background is needed first. My father is from a very patriarchal family. Women don't work, have lots of babies, and of course, wait on the menfolk hand and foot. My father wouldnt make any major decisions before speaking to his father first. Many of the men in my father's family actually had TWO separate families. Each wife, usually but not always, knew of the other but would feign total ignorance and would even make excuses for the man when he was away with the second family. Many of the children of these men didn't meet until their father's funerals. I didn't know about most of this until I became an adult and my parents were long divorced. 

One summer we visited one of the uncles in his home with wife number one. Which by the way was the only wife to ever be acknowledged by family. It came time for dinner and my mother and sister and I were amazed to find that we weren't given a place to sit. It was expected of us to stand behind our father's and brother's chairs so that we could serve them as they ate. We could eat in the kitchen after the men had their fill. My mom went to the kitchen, grabbed three plates, and sat us down at the table. No one stopped her but it was an unforgivable breach that greatly embarrassed my father. 

Those women were expected to be obedient in all things. All I can really remember besides being terribly uncomfortable was the aunts bitterness. They looked much older than my mother although they were the same age. They didn't laugh or smile with eachother or their husbands. As an adult, I learned that their obendience extended to the bedroom as well. It didn't matter that they were on their feet all day cooking, cleaning, and caring for the children. If they turned my uncle down, he would just go to wife number two and then it may be several months before she would see him again. He may or may not send money so obendience in all things was vital to their existence. I could go on but remembering all of this has made me sad. I haven't thought about it for a good many years.

• Replies 615
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This response to the sex post from some asshole on Facebook is making me feel a bit ragey: 

Thanks for the post. I really feel bad for them. Why not open the Bible with their wife and show her how things need to work? She needs clear instruction. All the more reason, before marrying a woman, to make sure she is on the same page with you, and respects what the Bible teaches about marriage. It is much harder to settle all that later. I appreciated the comment on how many preachers won't preach about the wife's duties. We need more of that.

So basically, some women are not, for whatever reason, wanting to have sex regularly with their husbands, and this d-bag's advice is to sit them down and give them "instruction" and use the Bible to guilt them into doing it anyway.... I can't even......

How about these men ask their wives if everything is okay? How about they make sure there is not a physical issue going on and get her medical help if there is? How about they talk to their wives about what is going on their marriages? How about if their wives are too exhausted, they take steps to make her life easier so she has more energy? (Maybe help around the house, help with the kids, send the kids to school if they are homeschooling and it is too much to handle, etc...). Why not seek counseling if she is feeling a disconnect from him and the marriage? 

In other words: address the problem rationally, compassionately and helpfully rather than whining about being too horny and yelling "God said you have to whether you want to or not!" at her. 

And these dumbasses would have us believe that they have a monopoly on happy marriages due to their warped belief system. :my_confused:

I was all geared up to be pissy about a veterans day jab at female service members and NOOOO she has to go on and on about sex.  (stick to the damn script Lori!)

It never ceases to amaze me how they won't take into account things like @Curious mentioned:  chasing multiple children all day, having them constantly moving, talking, touching either on you or near you.  And no Lori, sending them to their rooms for hours doesn't always work.  But I guess being a martyr is more important than trying to have some peace.  Another thing kind of hit me too, with regard to their fixation with young marriage and virginity...sometimes it's just bad.  The act itself.  You take two inexperience young people, put them in a room together.  If she's been taught:  lay there and shut your mouth, that's most likely what she'll do.  So he may believe he's doing things correctly but she may be hating life right then.  When I say "bad", it's any number of things...they could be totally incompatible physically, he's too rough, he's too gentle, or they just don't know what they're doing and it's awkward and weird and yucky and....yeah.  Ya'll get the picture.  

Martyrdom or not...who truly wants to be in a situation where you aren't respected simply because you exist, you're overstimulated for hours a day with little reprieve, you face unrealistic expectations regularly...and all this crap is veiled as "love"???   

Also:  expensive food?  :music-singing: "I ain't sayin' she's a gold digger....."    Oh wait, yes I am.  She'd shit if she ever had to shop locally, utilize only the stores available, and then stick to a strict budget.  I praise Chuck and Rufus weekly for Ibotta, the Albertson's app, sale papers, and Super 1 Foods.  

So on her afternoon post, poor Tammy comments this: 

7E0F43FD-B9FA-48F3-B03A-AF56C8DB3583.png

Could it be that your attitudes towards others prevent you from making meaningful relationships? 

5CCAF824-9288-41AE-9F99-B7DECC710545.png

Christian feminist here. I have Mom friends that work, those that stay at home, some that homeschool- and I have no problems with their choices and they have no problems with mine. But don’t question God’s direction for my life. 

The last set of quotes came from one of her 4 blogs...

So, in the Gospel According to Lori, marriage is the way out of poverty. Yet, many of her fangirls are married to men who hold down multiple jobs yet still only make $30,000 a year to support a stay at home wife and multiple children. Something doesn’t add up here.

butter.thumb.JPG.3060b6ad99f699eb371a0792a2966970.JPG

FFS. I think she is toying with us. This butter is $14.00 per pound (+$10.00 shipping) from the manufacturer. Maybe she gets it cheaper at the store? Mail order those 4 sticks of butter will run you $24.00.

So far she has spent approx $31.88 on 4 pounds of flour, a dozen eggs, and a pound of butter (assuming she didn't buy through the mail). 

OMG  bwahahahhahaaaaaaaaa @ " The ovaries respond by shutting down in favor of survival".  Soooo the next time I go with my crew into a house fire, I should leave my ovaries in the truck?  Refuse to go in?  What, or dear Lori, WHAT do I doooooooo????

Not sure why I do this to myself by reading her crud, but seriously?  Watching the news just can't be done? Men can, but not women? Get too emotional?  What in the absolute eff am I reading?

“Therefore let us stop passing judgment on one another. Instead, make up your mind not to put any stumbling block or obstacle in the way of a brother or sister.”
‭‭Romans‬ ‭14:13‬ ‭NIV‬‬
http://bible.com/111/rom.14.13.niv

I have never paid attention to this verse before now- probably because I’ve always heard it in the context of how we should behave and not letting our behavior cause others to stumble (and my adult interpretation on that is regarding behavior in personal relationships, not the anger society). I think Loriken and their followers could learn a thing or two... 

Admittedly I was raised in church but am now on a path of learning for myself and building my personal relationship- so I’m open to other thoughts about this scripture. 

First, I LOVE Aldis! I'm a short drive from one now, and it is so great! My old car has clunked its last clunk, so I am staring down the barrel of "car payments" again. Anywhere I can save money is aces for me.

Second, I don't know how Mr. Bonkers could have possibly survived year long deployments without getting regular nooky from his Godly wife /sarc. It's almost like he's able to do a job without sex! (If he was seeing Mary Thumb and her 4 sisters, that's not my business and not a sin, thank you very much Lori)

6 minutes ago, Florita said:

FFS. I think she is toying with us. This butter is $14.00 per pound (+$10.00 shipping) from the manufacturer. Maybe she gets it cheaper at the store? Mail order those 4 sticks of butter will run you $24.00.

So far she has spent approx $31.88 on 4 pounds of flour, a dozen eggs, and a pound of butter (assuming she didn't buy through the mail). 

$14/pound?? I will admit I like good butter but that is seriously dumb. Not modest and not a good use of resources. That’s half a tank of gas for my vehicle. That’s enough for a rotisserie chicken and ready made sides for a family in need. I think God would convict me right in the store if I put that in my cart. It’s like she’s flaunting her privilege. 

Guess what Lori? I can afford $14 butter. The difference is, I’m smart enough and wise enough to know better. 

@Hane I was baptized as a Roman Catholic. My father's parents were from an indigenous Mexican tribe and Native American. My paternal grandmother was a medicine woman in her tribe and practiced a hybridized religion, believing that her powers were a gift from god. My mother's parents were California Native American.

In the ensuing years I have met people of Mexican descent who have had similar experiences. I was not raised in that culture so I won't speculate that that was the source of the behavior.

1 hour ago, Florita said:

I went all glassy eyed, and my heart started pounding when I realized that somewhere in the world, they are selling 4 sticks of butter for $14.  

The three dollars and sixty something cents I am paying for Wal-mart's Great Value butter seems like highway robbery to me.  Right now our Wal-mart is selling milk for 1.98 a gallon, and 36 eggs for just over two dollars.  I love it!  They are holding firm on the butter though...sky high.  

I honestly believe she's rubbing her wealth in her followers' faces.  Why else would she be posting this kind of crap?  It has never once occurred to me that anyone would want to see a picture of my butter.  She just wants them to know that she's loaded to the brim, and shame them for not being able to buy godly food/eat "the way God intended" like she does.  It's disgusting, and it just makes her look foolish for being so easily parted from her money.

For what Lori is spending on 4 sticks of butter, I could make spaghetti, salad, french bread, and brownies for dessert.  I'd have some change left, too.  Seriously, I could think of a dozen meals that I could make for less than she spends on butter.

Lori keeps buying all this expensive "organic" food. Shouldn't be a better steward of her time and husband's money? Shouldn't she be on a farm gathering truly organic eggs and milk? 

I am seriously laughing at the thought of her on a farm. I'd pay money to see that ever happen. Hilarity will ensue. 

@Koala I agree. I would be embarrassed for people to think I spent such a ridiculous amount of money for 4 sticks of butter. And like you said- unless I’m splurging on steak and shrimp, our meals cost less than that. In fact, my lunches for an entire week don’t cost $14. 

She’s proof that if you slap some buzz words on a package, someone  will buy it without much consideration of the cost. 

And since she’s into making her bread (from her holier than thou stance), why isn’t she churning her own butter? I mean- that’s how mothers at home did it in those blessed days where women knew their place (sarcasm). 

I am starting to wonder if she's got some kind of addiction to spending money.  It's truly astounding to the avg. person.  

How can they be spending this much and still preparing for retirement?

Umm... absurdity abounds: 

https://www.organicpastures.com/shop/ 

$45 for 5 (5!!!) pounds of cheese? 

3 minutes ago, Koala said:

I am starting to wonder if she's got some kind of addiction to spending money.  It's truly astounding to the avg. person.  

How can they be spending this much and still preparing for retirement?

I think she’s very vain and afraid of aging. I also think that she has some seriously disordered thinking around food, health, image, and well, everything. 

And I don’t know if she has an addiction to spending money so much as she has no sense of money management. If something happens to Ken, she will go through any money he leaves for her in record time. I think she’s an illustration of what happens when someone isn’t told no and there are no consequences for behavior. She and Ken are sick, twisted, sadistic, manipulative people and they deserve the misery they bestow upon one another. 

The sad thing is her fangirls aren’t equipped with the critical thinking skills to see right through them. 

I want to give Lori a pass on the flour, and here's why: When I heard her say that,I didn't think she meant that she'd thought they were exactly the same thing. I assumed that she meant she didn't know there was any difference in how they would work in a recipe. If Lori usually doesn't bake with whole wheat flour, or if she is used to using recipes that have been adapted for whole wheat flour, she really might not know. I could see myself grabbing something I don't often use and thinking that it didn't matter that it wasn't the exact same thing as the recipe called for.

1 hour ago, Frog99 said:

I think she’s very vain and afraid of aging.

I'm afraid that horse has long left the barn thanks to her fear of sunscreen :pb_rollseyes:  She's nearing "Magda' from There's Something About Mary territory already.

@molecule That’s a fair statement. 

Meanwhile, I love this writer’s post: 

E40184AB-EF93-42DD-BB9F-E55E13088708.png

1 minute ago, Curious said:

I'm afraid that horse has long left the barn thanks to her fear of sunscreen :pb_rollseyes:  She's nearing "Magda' from There's Something About Mary territory already.

I LOVE that movie!! And you make a very good point. Over here, on the East Coast, I have learned the importance of sunscreen- hopefully my diligence for the past 10 years serves as a counterbalance to the time I spent lying on the beach covered in oil and accelerator (and the tanning bed time). 

13 hours ago, EowynW said:

I currently get free eggs from my inlaws. When I have to buy I buy at Aldi's. It's 16cents a dozen there. I do despise the factory farming practices though and hate supporting them, and free range eggs taste and look so much better. But it is what it is right now. I'll have my own chickens again one day. 

16 c a dozen? How do they produce, package and transport them for 16 cents????

I live in Australia and only buy free range eggs, which are about $4.50 a dozen from Aldi. But even the absolute cheapest eggs aren’t going to be less that $1.50 per dozen, probably closer to $2.

How can Jill Rodrigues etc have problems feeding their kids with such a cheap protein available to them? 

I still can’t get over 16 cent cartons of eggs.... 16 CENTS!!!!!!

@Imrlgoddess, I'm sure she has that saved for tomorrow!

I don't understand what is so strange about the idea that maybe, just maybe, if husbands helped a little and gave their wife a break, she might feel more in the mood to have sex.

Holy crap that is some expensive butter and cheese and I thought I was spending too much getting the Simply nature brand of cheese at Aldis. Oh that note, I don't think Lori or the people who sell that crap actually give a darn about people's health. There are other options she could use. And if the company cared at all they'd make their products more accessible to all people. In reality it's just inflated prices and inflated egos. 

I don't spend too much but even I have been convicted of what I do spend it on. I know I buy too much coffee. But how can she be okay with her spending? 

Lori, Kroger has Land o' Lakes butter on sale this week for $2.49. And you can find coupons for it online that will bring the price down to $1.99. Land o' Lakes has been around almost as long as those  commentators of old you like to quote so much, so it should be more than good enough for you! :my_biggrin:

26 minutes ago, Loveday said:

Lori, Kroger has Land o' Lakes butter on sale this week for $2.49. And you can find coupons for it online that will bring the price down to $1.99. Land o' Lakes has been around almost as long as those  commentators of old you like to quote so much, so it should be more than good enough for you! :my_biggrin:

I do think factory farmed butter doesn't look or taste as good as farm fresh or small farm grass fed operations, but it is what it is! Kerrigold is as expensive as I ever get. Walmart has been throwing it in sale here so I've been gleefully stocking up. 

Loris way of healthy eating is unattainable for many people. She'd be a better blogger if she'd give examples about better healthy living and eating on a budget. She doesn't teach at all. Hell, money is super tight here but I make a lot of my own cleaning products and manage to eat sugar/gluten free with a bit of careful juggling. Maybe one day I'll start a healthy yet frugal blog. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived