IGNORED

Joy and Austin 16: Touring the Texas Rodeo

Coconut Flan

20 hours ago, Oh_Dear! said:

Is it possible that Joy is preggo with twins?  Regardless of the fit of the shirt, she still looks like she's further into her pregnancy than what single-child pregnancy would normally be (in this never-been-pregnant woman's expert opinion...ha!).  We all know that premarital sex is improbable, but twins are very probable...

I am 15 wks along as of today. I have only gained the recommended 5lbs thus far and was not considered overweight previously but by no means am I "fit" or "skinny". I compare the way I look now to how Joy looked when people were razzing on her announcement photo and it makes me kind of sad for her. I also have a short torso and large boobs and I feel like the only reason she looks so large is because she wears shitty bras. 

• Replies 619
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't blame Joy for not dressing in the most flattering ways.  Firstly she's grown up with a shared wardrobe, with pretty much no chance to buy clothes that she would like.  Everything has to roughly fit all the sisters, right? 

Secondly, we all think in a less Fundy world, she'd be a jeans girl, especially as she's said a number of times that she hates dresses.  All the talk of the best maternity jeans?  That's still frowned upon in their family, for all that Jinger and some of the married Bateses have relaxed there. JB & M made a huge deal about being skirts-only.

And while yes, I know that wearing jeans doesn't mean less Fundy, and lots of other families do and have just as horrible beliefs, I hope Joy can at least try it in the future, just because I think it's crazy that such practical clothes are banned for such stupid reasons.

Joy has the advantage/disadvantage of being the only pregnant Duggar right now so she has her choice of all of Jill/Jessa/Anna's maternity clothes. While not having to go out and buy clothes is a money saver, being several inches shorter, much larger chested and the same weight as the taller smaller chested sisters means her clothes wont' fit so well.  She would probably be adorable if she had proper fitted maternity clothes and full support bra, as a women with 42 EE chest, I can't tell you how important it is to have a GOOD fitted supporting bra, pregnant or not.  

We'll all find out eventually but I won't be surprised to hear she had twins or one very large baby.  I just hope Austin isn't as stupid as Derick and listens to Jilly Muffin the the useless AF not a midwife, and gets his wife to a doctor, especially if she's having multiples, or follow Jill's inability to birth a baby vaginally. It is nothing to be ashamed of (I had 2 c/sections as well) in the end it doesn't matter HOW the baby is in your arms as long as it is in your arms and healthy. 

23 hours ago, samurai_sarah said:

we were taught that we give the best care we can to the farm animals, because they die so we can live. You're never cruel to animals. You keep them calm and loved until the last moment, because that's the least you can do.

My daughter, an animal science major that planned on being a vet from the time she could speak, discovered dairy farming in college.  She loves her cows, gives them attention and love, and will not tolerate letting them suffer if they go down.  She understands the life cycle and that they live to provide for us--she has also been known to spend a cold winter night in the barn with a cow that would be put down in the morning--just to give her love and attention.  Yup, vet school has been shelved for the moment, and her intent would be to own her own small farm one day.  Your sentiment was worded perfectly.  I have heard much the same from my daughter.

In a completely non-creepy way, I wish each of the female Duggars could be taken for a good bra fitting as a right of passage before she married, especially if they buy used and save the difference on bras and underwear. I'd also encourage them to try different brands in their size. I can't see Michelle allowing her single daughters to have this experience.

The only reason I asked about the possibility of twins is because of the hereditary factor.  I know that twins run in families.  The fact that Michelle had two sets of twins, means that her kids have a higher chance of having them as well.  It's bound to happen and for some reason, I have a weird feeling that Joy may be the one to have them.  I know that the twins discussion happens every time one of the the Duggars is preggo.. and every time it turns out that the baby is just above average in size at birth, so I'm probably wrong... 

I know this subject has been talked to death. . . but I have a good friend who is a doctor and today I showed her a picture of Joy. She is not familiar with the Duggars and does not know the backstory.

"How far along do you think she is?" I asked.

"Oh, she looks just about full-term," she said. "About ready to give birth."

I was actually surprised. This doc is not an ob/gyn but sees pregnant women all the time in her practice.

I have to admit, I feel sorry for Joy. She looks so matronly in that picture. Nothing wrong with matronly (I rock that look myself), but my goodness, she just turned 20. This should be her time for feeling young, sexy and desirable, like her body can do anything, like she'll be young forever. 

Maybe because I have a daughter just a couple years younger, who is fully enjoying her teenage years, and who loves dressing up, trying on clothes, experimenting with her hair, etc.

Joy never had this time, or maybe she did for about 5 minutes, in order to land Austin. And soon she'll be saddled with a baby. She's just so young.

I'm a doctor and got about halfway through obstetrics/gynae training before switching. If Joy came to the birth suite in labour I'd think she was anywhere from about 20 to 35 weeks, but really it's SO variable.  Different women just carry differently.  I've seen women pop out two 7lb twins who looked like they weren't full term with one baby and women who are carrying very big have a 5lber.  I still remember in my first year heading to the waiting room to call in a woman who I hadn't met before but who was 36 weeks.  This woman who looked like she had eaten a biggish lunch stood up and I was blown away!  She was actually measuring a little ahead by fundal height too.

I think Joy just has the body type to carry big, is wearing clothes that make her look a little bigger and certainly the Duggars seem to make babies on the bigger side.  She may have put on a bit more weight than most women at this point, but absolutely zero judgement on that from me!

Whenever a Duggar has twins I think they'll announce it ASAP and milk it for all it's worth.

4 hours ago, Audrey2 said:

In a completely non-creepy way, I wish each of the female Duggars could be taken for a good bra fitting as a right of passage before she married, especially if they buy used and save the difference on bras and underwear. I'd also encourage them to try different brands in their size. I can't see Michelle allowing her single daughters to have this experience.

Same here - I don't say it to be creepy, but because I am a big busted woman and know how important it is for your comfort to be wearing a bra that fits properly. 

The very idea of used underwear, even if clean, makes me shudder. Gag. Bras may be okish, but anything else is a HELL NOPE from me. 

I think lack of basic knowledge,  true prenatal care with educated professionals, and an overall lack of nutritional concepts and habits is why these ladies get so big and birth LGA babies. They were raised eating cheap " belly fillers" (high fat, salt, sugar, carbs) and that's what they and their pallets desire.

I think they do literally "eat for 2" while expecting-

And I know that some people consider this discussion body shaming, but what I always think about is what endless pregnancies, and carrying and birthing LGA babies does to one's body. These girls are likely not all going to be like Michelle, who looks great and takes her health seriously. Not everyone is that disciplined. JB isn't and that is 50% of their genetic makeup. Certainly K Bates looks far less health and vibrant in comparison.

There are future, potential health risks associated with gaining tons of weight and having huge babies.

I worry about the young women in that regard. They saw Michelle sail through birth after birth for a good long time. Look at poor Jill, and Jessa has had a bad experience too. 

My niece is a physician and a mom to 2, a  3 YO  and NB born. Her first pregnancy she sailed through and had an easily vag delivery. Her baby weighed 8.5 lbs. With her second, experienced a placental abruption, at home, a few weeks pre-term. She ended up with a crash c-section. You just never know, and each PG and birth are different.

Joy certainly looks like she is carrying a big baby, but so did Jill. Jill was really big and looking ready to pop very early as well. I wish that Joy wasn't so in the koolaid, that she could enjoy some alone time with Austin before baby. Then I remember her high schoo graduation comments and roll my eyes. She's fine. 

10 minutes ago, Carm_88 said:

Joy certainly looks like she is carrying a big baby, but so did Jill. Jill was really big and looking ready to pop very early as well. I wish that Joy wasn't so in the koolaid, that she could enjoy some alone time with Austin before baby. Then I remember her high schoo graduation comments and roll my eyes. She's fine. 

I can't believe that Joy just turned 20. It's just sad to me. I still think that none of these kids will end up having a dozen + number of children. In order to successfully and sanely navigate a mega family, all the stars really need to align, with one of the biggest stars being funding (and health). IMO, Michelle was more equipped to handle the load. She had worked, had a real estate license and was active outside the home. She likely had some money and time management skills and a partially honed ability to decision make. She went to public school and had friends and interests. Her children have none of those experiences. The basic building blocks are not there. Josh- a wash out. Jill, struggling mightily, Jessa is holding her own, but what # of children will put them over the edge? Jin. is an interesting watch. I'm hoping that she and J are making their choices and walking an altered path. Joy is a baby herself. I'm betting she'll be parked at the TTH for the next year. 

On 11/6/2017 at 7:53 PM, Oh_Dear! said:

Is it possible that Joy is preggo with twins?  Regardless of the fit of the shirt, she still looks like she's further into her pregnancy than what single-child pregnancy would normally be (in this never-been-pregnant woman's expert opinion...ha!).  We all know that premarital sex is improbable, but twins are very probable...

I looked very much like Joy at 20ish weeks with both of my kids. I'm short waisted and busty like her and people thought I was almost full term. Of course, LF1 weighed 9 lbs 13 oz and LF2 weighed 9 lbs 7 oz so they were pretty big babies, could be the same thing with her. 

14 hours ago, Audrey2 said:

Bra fittings are amazing... but yes, I agree that Michelle probably wouldn't let the single girls go for one (better supported boobs are eye traps, y'know).

A bit late to the topic but thought I'd weigh into the Joystin Jestation debate with this pic of my friend and I due on the same day (Christmas Day eeek! Luckily, neither kid made an appearance then, so we staved off the second comings!)

The photo doesn't really show it properly as we are wearing baggy clothes but,5a03314c60341_Inkedpregnancybellies(1).jpg.ec32c3717aaadd46c0ad8998e301bccf.jpg basically, she (being about 4 feet shorter than me) looked twice as wide..... And I'm really sticking my belly out for this photo!

2 hours ago, SassyPants said:

And I know that some people consider this discussion body shaming, but what I always think about is what endless pregnancies, and carrying and birthing LGA babies does to one's body. These girls are likely not all going to be like Michelle, who looks great and takes her health seriously. Not everyone is that disciplined. JB isn't and that is 50% of their genetic makeup. Certainly K Bates looks far less health and vibrant in comparison.

There are future, potential health risks associated with gaining tons of weight and having huge babies.

I worry about the young women in that regard. They saw Michelle sail through birth after birth for a good long time. Look at poor Jill, and Jessa has had a bad experience too. 

My niece is a physician and a mom to 2, a  3 YO  and NB born. Her first pregnancy she sailed through and had an easily vag delivery. Her baby weighed 8.5 lbs. With her second, experienced a placental abruption, at home, a few weeks pre-term. She ended up with a crash c-section. You just never know, and each PG and birth are different.

Jessa gained a lot more weight with Spurge than she did Henry, Jill didn't get as big with Sam either, I'm guessing Joy will be a little less "eat all the food" with #2 and #3 and #4.... after she tried to slim down after baby Forsyth arrives.  A lot of women do this with their 1st pregnancy they gain a lot more weight and then reign it in on subsequent pregnancies.  

3 hours ago, SassyPants said:

I think lack of basic knowledge,  true prenatal care with educated professionals, and an overall lack of nutritional concepts and habits is why these ladies get so big and birth LGA babies. They were raised eating cheap " belly fillers" (high fat, salt, sugar, carbs) and that's what they and their pallets desire.

I think they do literally "eat for 2" while expecting-

I think this is it too and has nothing to do with body shaming.

If you are not going to regular appointments and being weighed and having your blood glucose checked, you have far less information. And Joy has gained weight in her arms, it's very noticeable to me, which tells me that this is much less a large baby than it is just a nutrition thing. My SIL got enormous with every pregnancy, gaining about 60 lbs and had babies in the 8 lb range...we were pregnant last time together and it annoyed me to no end when people would come up to her and say wow you're having one big healthy baby! And then commented on how small I was...well it's hard for an insulin-dependent diabetic on a very controlled diet to gain weight, that was my big struggle. Needless to say I had a baby 3 weeks shorter gestation than she did and he was over 9 lbs, a pound bigger than his cousin. Just because you look enormous doesn't necessarily mean huge baby. It did for Jill, but Jessa had good sized babes and didn't look that big. Neither did Anna.

Joy has gained weight? Of course she's gained weight. She's pregnant. Enough with the concern trolling. She's clearly not obese, and if she's even overweight it's obviously not to a particularly significant degree.

Wearing a bra that fits is very important in terms of comfort. But maybe they are wearing bras that they're comfortable in. How would we possibly know? Not everyone has perfect perky little boobs, especially while pregnant/after having a baby. That doesn't necessarily mean that they're wearing ill-fitting bras.

This constant hyper-focused criticism of Joy's body is incredibly gross.

From my long ago obstetrician, you need an extra glass of milk and slice of bread per day to meet baby's needs.  Anything extra is Mum's wants.

Due to severe morning sickness, I did not gain much weight while pregnant..

I gained it all when they were toddlers and I would eat their leftovers as well as eating with husband when he came home. :my_blush:

On 08/11/2017 at 4:25 PM, LawsonBatesEgo said:

Same here - I don't say it to be creepy, but because I am a big busted woman and know how important it is for your comfort to be wearing a bra that fits properly. 

I am the same - we are not being creepy. It is so important to have the right bra. Bad bras can lead to injuries amongst other things. 

I can also say the last thing I looked like was Matronly when I was 20.

On 11/8/2017 at 12:08 PM, singsingsing said:

Joy has gained weight? Of course she's gained weight. She's pregnant. Enough with the concern trolling. She's clearly not obese, and if she's even overweight it's obviously not to a particularly significant degree.

Wearing a bra that fits is very important in terms of comfort. But maybe they are wearing bras that they're comfortable in. How would we possibly know? Not everyone has perfect perky little boobs, especially while pregnant/after having a baby. That doesn't necessarily mean that they're wearing ill-fitting bras.

This constant hyper-focused criticism of Joy's body is incredibly gross.

Agree so much. I also hate the ever circling discussion about Joy’s boobs. It seems creepy and gross to me to pour over concern about a 20 year old’s boobs/bras. How would we have any knowledge of her undergarments? Also, why are we still pretending the Duggars buy used? It’s clear they buy new and gently used clothes for themselves and their kids now days. 

if we are discussing bras.  I have one on that is not comfortable because it is too old.  I have a bunch of others that are new but not comfortable.  Bras are hard for ladies who are endowed...no?

to much TMI

As another big breasted lady I can understand problems getting proper fitting bras, my mum and sister can buy cheap bras that fit without problems. I have to buy expensive bras and even then they are not always a good fit or great quality. I hope Joy gets fitted for a proper bra and treats herself to a few maternity clothes of her own. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived