IGNORED

Dillards 44: Still Pretending to Missionary to College Students

Coconut Flan

Derick just tweeted this gem:

In other words, "Everyone's different, but they still need to believe in my exact definition of Christianity and follow my moral principles."

Another tweet:

Spoiler

If he really took anything out of that, then he would quit being a missionary. It's obviously not his 'gifting'. 

• Replies 699
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Discover your gRifting

Dude can't even get this part of grifting right - even with 280 characters.

48 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

.... That "alternate family" knew everything about every single one of us.

That is beyond creepy.....yikes!

1 hour ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

Oh, it was the dramatic reveal, for sure. Nobody knew about the woman OR the child - except, possibly, my dad's sister-in-law. She said she'd been "followed" by a woman, two teenagers, and an infant, in a grocery store. Twice. She said they watched every move she made. After the woman/child showed up at the reception, she told this story, but had never mentioned it to anyone prior to this. Of course, she's a bit odd, so who knows?

The really scary/weird part is, when my grandfather died - the child (who was about 20 at the time, I guess?) and her half-siblings all showed up at the hospital. One of the older half-siblings walked up to me, addressed me BY NAME and said she knew I was at the hospital because she'd seen my car in the parking lot. I told her to get the fuck out of my face and to stop fucking creeping on my life. That "alternate family" knew everything about every single one of us.

Ok, all of this is the beginnings of the plot of a domestic thriller that I would watch/read the shit out of! How fucked up! There must be some deep seated resentment and jealousy on the part of the mistress and/or the kid. That's so creepy, and sad. But mostly creepy. 

I could write a best-seller about my fucked-up family, no doubt. People rarely believe the craptastic shit that goes on in my family, but then they see the proof and just stand there, agape.

56 minutes ago, llg1234 said:

If he really took anything out of that, then he would quit being a missionary. It's obviously not his 'gifting'.

Yeah, he's really bad at this but apparently remains convinced it is his calling from god. It would be sad if he wasn't such an ass. 

29 minutes ago, Hashtag Blessed said:

Yeah, he's really bad at this but apparently remains convinced it is his calling from god. It would be sad if he wasn't such an ass. 

I don't think half of these fundie men GENUINELY feel called by God to missionary work.  I think the only GENUINE calling they feel is their own laziness calling them away from working a real job.  

One of the dangers of Patriarchy is that it can go to a man's head and make him feel too personally special to work hard.  Derick is TOO SPECIAL to humble himself to work a normal 9-5.  First he was just God's Gift to Jilly Muffin, but why stop there?  No.  He is GOD'S GIFT TO THE WORLD.  And God doesn't want him to WORK! NO!  GOD WANTS HIM TO WRITE HATEFUL TWEETS ALL DAY.  ....or is that just what Derick wants to do?  Nope, he's a man, so obviously ALL of his instincts are DIVINELY inspired.

What Derick needs is a swift kick in the seat and someone to tell him: "You're NOT as special as you think you are.  Frankly, in the grand scheme of things, you are DECIDEDLY below average.  Every single person I work with displays more intelligence, sense, and tact in a single day than you displayed ALL LAST YEAR.  You kind of suck right now.  Almost literally, because you are a LEECH.  So get off your high horse, get a damn job just like everyone else, and try to be better.  Because you are NOT better than them.  You are worse." 

2 minutes ago, Georgiana said:

I don't think half of these fundie men GENUINELY feel called by God to missionary work.  I think the only GENUINE calling they feel is their own laziness calling them away from working a real job.  

One of the dangers of Patriarchy is that it can go to a man's head and make him feel too personally special to work hard.  Derick is TOO SPECIAL to humble himself to work a normal 9-5.  First he was just God's Gift to Jilly Muffin, but why stop there?  No.  He is GOD'S GIFT TO THE WORLD.  And God doesn't want him to WORK! NO!  GOD WANTS HIM TO WRITE HATEFUL TWEETS ALL DAY.  ....or is that just what Derick wants to do?  Nope, he's a man, so obviously ALL of his instincts are DIVINELY inspired.

What Derick needs is a swift kick in the seat and someone to tell him: "You're NOT as special as you think you are.  Frankly, in the grand scheme of things, you are DECIDEDLY below average.  Every single person I work with displays more intelligence, sense, and tact in a single day than you displayed ALL LAST YEAR.  You kind of suck right now.  Almost literally, because you are a LEECH.  So get off your high horse, get a damn job just like everyone else, and try to be better.  Because you are NOT better than them.  You are worse." 

I truly do not get the no job and always being late thing at all. How can any religious group or adult espouse those ideas and expect for success or anything positive to occur? It's basically encouraging self-centeredness and laziness. How does that dovetail with contributing to the movement or society in general? How does being lazy and late role model hard work and a servant's heart to your children and others? And they think they are better and more equipped than the rest of us? Pul-ease. They are collective bottom feeders...harsh, but accurate. Hell, they couldn't even get worked up to rise early on Christmas morning to enjoy a nice meal and family festivities. 

2 minutes ago, Shadoewolf said:

Derick is going after Jazz again! What is his deal??!

I'm beginning to wonder if he's jealous of her.  Or attracted to her.

Normal grown ass men don't obsess about teenagers.  

2 hours ago, SassyPants said:

I truly do not get the no job and always being late thing at all. How can any religious group or adult espouse those ideas and expect for success or anything positive to occur? It's basically encouraging self-centeredness and laziness. How does that dovetail with contributing to the movement or society in general? How does being lazy and late role model hard work and a servant's heart to your children and others? And they think they are better and more equipped than the rest of us? Pul-ease. They are collective bottom feeders...harsh, but accurate. Hell, they couldn't even get worked up to rise early on Christmas morning to enjoy a nice meal and family festivities. 

I think that the view that a reality show is a “ministry” has skewed the Duggars’ thinking. If being on TV, ostensibly playing yourself, counts as “ministry,” then the logical conclusion is that you’re blessing people just by showing up and putting yourself in their presence. Consequently, it doesn’t matter if you’re late or have a vague job, because other people are the ones who should be bending over backwards for you as a result of your “godly” counternance. The really hypocritical thing is that Derick is no doubt the sort who would tell a homeless person to “get a job” when he needs to follow his own advice.

36 minutes ago, JenniferJuniper said:

I'm beginning to wonder if he's jealous of her.  Or attracted to her.

Normal grown ass men don't obsess about teenagers.  

It really is weird. Like, even if you "don't agree with their lifestyle," why constantly insist on bashing a trans kid, their family, and their preferred pronouns? What's the point......??

I've always thought the whole "you hate gay people because you're secretly gay!" argument was overly simplistic and inflammatory, but it's not completely off the mark. I have a family member who is OBSESSED with gay people. Every time a flamboyant male is shown on tv, the family member goes off on a rant about how sick/disgusting/"bad for SoCIeTy" gay people are. He's even said he wouldn't oppose capital punishment for gay people. Well, turns out that family member had some kind of experimental experiences with other young men as a teenager (according to other family members). Take that as you will.

11 minutes ago, bananabread said:

It really is weird. Like, even if you "don't agree with their lifestyle," why constantly insist on bashing a trans kid, their family, and their preferred pronouns? What's the point......??

This is something I have never understood, and it just once again proves the hypocrisy in the Duggar family. Regardless of their opinions, or the opinions of any conservative/fundie-lite/fundie Christians who agree with Derick, Jazz is still a KID. (She's 17 now so she is an older teen but the hate against her started years ago.) The Duggars of course seem to see 17 as a perfectly functioning adult considering when they give out responsibilities and start courtships, but as Christians shouldn't they be showing the "Christ like attitude" that they always talk about anyway? I know they aren't going to but it doesn't change the anger I feel whenever Derick decides that his biggest enemy is a teenager and not his own ego and inability to work.

1 hour ago, bananabread said:

I have a family member who is OBSESSED with gay people. Every time a flamboyant male is shown on tv, the family member goes off on a rant about how sick/disgusting/"bad for SoCIeTy" gay people are. He's even said he wouldn't oppose capital punishment for gay people. Well, turns out that family member had some kind of experimental experiences with other young men as a teenager (according to other family members). Take that as you will.

Yeah, it's one thing if someone is directly asked their views on something like equal marriage and responds they don't support it. But people who are hyper reactionary to even the presence or mention of someone being gay? It usually seems like really unsubtle projection... at the very least of some personal insecurities.

All right. Did Derrick come to his senses, deleted his Twitter and enrolled himself in fundie therapy for social media addicts? Did Jill came to her senses, deleted his Twitter and is now forcing her crying kidult husband to find a job? Was he banned? Was he hacked? Aliens? Karma? 
WHAT IS GOING ON?!

1 hour ago, December said:

Yeah, it's one thing if someone is directly asked their views on something like equal marriage and responds they don't support it. But people who are hyper reactionary to even the presence or mention of someone being gay? It usually seems like really unsubtle projection... at the very least of some personal insecurities.

I find this really interesting because in my family & church community growing up, those reactions were "normal" and expected. Anytime people on tv would mention being gay or a kiss between people of the same sex occurred (even if it was an accident or not romantic in the context of the show) someone would make a gagging sound, dramatically cover their eyes, and talk about how homosexuality was awful and ruining our culture.  The same things happen when these things are seen in real life, just not as loudly. It is considered so normal that I often have to join in when at home because it would be seen so strangely if I didn't. My parents can buy me trying to be respectful when in public, but if I am only with them I have to force myself to react in that way because it is so common.

He seems overly active on social media for a person with 2 kids and a supposed full time job. He really needs to step away for awhile, especially with the renewed Jazz comments. The American public is now paying attention to trans rights and the plight of the trans community. He's not going to win this little fight he picked, and not all publicity is good publicity. People seem to know how to push his buttons, and I don't think he's smart enough to realize that he's being lead along by people trolling him.

12 hours ago, Georgiana said:

My ex bf was also from Romania, and he had VERY poor things to say about the Evangelical (often Fundie) "missionary" groups who go over to Romania and often try to convert people on the promise that with their conversion they will be helped to immigrate to the US.

To be honest I never lived outside Romania, and I was born in one of the large cities and at 19 I moved to Bucharest, so I didn't really live near people that could be bullied into conversion/ people that would be the main target in those cases. I noticed the Duggars and I found freejinger because also here we started to get fundie/ fundie-lite orthodox christians (the main religion is orthodox cristianity in Romania) and I became curious about the phenomenon and started doing research. But it is really weird to me that I never even knew someone that met people who came here from the US and tried to convert people. Never heard of this here.

So it is not so largely known, but also Romania has around 20 million people so maybe they went to smaller communities?

Sorry I can't be of any help about this. If I do hear about this I will tell though.

Derick talks about the importance of "having a mature conversation" but doesn't even have tha decency to use Jazz's correct pronouns. If he truly respected her as a person, he would not go out of his way to deliberately misgender her. That kind of behaviour is very damaging to trans folk. 

I'm so tired of the fake-sweet, passive-aggressive "I love everyone" crap. He's attacking her on purpose and spinning it as his own harmless opinion, when it's not.

D-wreck is an asshole. A harmful, ignorant asshole.

1 hour ago, Jinder Roles said:

Derick talks about the importance of "having a mature conversation" but doesn't even have tha decency to use Jazz's correct pronouns. If he truly respected her as a person, he would not go out of his way to deliberately misgender her. That kind of behaviour is very damaging to trans folk. 

Exactly Derick has zero respect for anyone who isn't his brand of Christianity, I was always brought up to respect people even if I disagreed with their beliefs and lifestyles. RE classes at the evil Catholic school I went to also taught me that.

Derick treated Jazz the way he did to reinforce his beliefs on transgender people, Jazz was mature in her response. I only watched one or two episodes of her show online but her family seem a loving and supportive family and they have raised Jazz and her siblings well. The Duggar's could learn a lot from Jazz's parents but they are too closed minded. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived