IGNORED

Dillards 44: Still Pretending to Missionary to College Students

Coconut Flan

1 hour ago, singsingsing said:

Guys, of all the things to critique Derick and Jill for, I really can't snark on them for this. It's a family portrait session involving a photo of them kissing. I've seen the same exact pose from countless secular young families. The photographer was probably the one who suggested it. 

I snark on them for everything. :pb_lol: 

• Replies 699
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm happy to see Jill in shorter skirts. I was always concerned, seeing her walk through an airport in a long dress with flip flops. I envisioned an escalator catastrophe.

1 hour ago, singsingsing said:

Guys, of all the things to critique Derick and Jill for, I really can't snark on them for this. It's a family portrait session involving a photo of them kissing. I've seen the same exact pose from countless secular young families. The photographer was probably the one who suggested it. 

Considering how they feel a need to suck face in like every other professional photo shoot they do (see Joy's wedding), I don't think the photographer suggested it. We get it, you've been allowed to schtup for three years.

Okay! You guys are totally right. No other portrait session ever involves a photo of a husband and wife kissing. This is a disgusting pose unique to the Dillards, and they obviously forced their reluctant photographer into it.

Look, I get it, Derick and Jill have a history of silliness involving showing off the fact that they are now 'allowed' to engage in physical affection with each other. But come on, it's a basic photo of them kissing during what was obviously a professional family photo session. I get it, 'we snark on them for everything, hahahaha!' But I guess this one is just too stupid for me. 

13 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

tumblr_oyv037BiVz1r9t2zdo8_400.jpg

To me, they look like a couple six months before they get divorced. You know, like they're trying to kid people and themselves one last time. Except they can't get divorced, which sucks for them.

I think that people who dislike Jill and Derick also hope that they are miserable in their marriage. However, I feel that they might think their marriage is the best thing they have going for them. They seem very supportive of each other. I really don’t wish them any personal unhappiness. I just wish Derick would stop pushing his views about how other people want to live their lives.

The only thing I think of when I look at the pictures of Derick is that you can put lipstick on a pig, but it still won't be pretty. That's exactly what Derick is. 

Not that I would waste a nice lipstick on Derick, or lip gloss. He just can't have nice things! 

24 minutes ago, 12 Hungry Safety Pins said:

To me, they look like a couple six months before they get divorced. You know, like they're trying to kid people and themselves one last time. Except they can't get divorced, which sucks for them.

To me it looks like just a boring cliche photo. 

Can we take the Dullards' absence at the SOS wedding festivities as confirmation that they were fired and/or bridges were burned from their time as "missionaries" with SOS? Of course they'll say they were absent because of Dwreck's fake school program, but Jing and Joy were there. 

This is one of those family photos that the kids will laugh about.  It's just so hilariously terrible.  But I can't say the Dillards are alone there.  My friend's family has a photo they call "The Naked Photo", which is a Sears Portrait Studio (yes, it was the 90s) shot of the 3 daughters and their dad.  UNFORTUNATELY, the 3 girls are wearing strapless outfits (that were very cute and tasteful if you see them in full) and the way they were posed, their outfits did not make the shot. 

I'm kind of happy to know that the Dillard boys will have something pleasant and normal like this to laugh about when they grow up.   

1 hour ago, 12 Hungry Safety Pins said:

How many professional photo shoots do most couples sit for in a year? The Dillards seem to be in constant marketing mode.  Won't be long now before Derdork starts to grift again.

56 minutes ago, Casserole said:

Can we take the Dullards' absence at the SOS wedding festivities as confirmation that they were fired and/or bridges were burned from their time as "missionaries" with SOS? Of course they'll say they were absent because of Dwreck's fake school program, but Jing and Joy were there. 

And why didn’t Jessa and Ben go? Or Josh/Anna, John, Jana, or Joe/Kendra? I’m sure they were all welcome, but even all of the fundies can’t stand Jill and Derick. Hauling a toddler and a baby around for a wedding is a pain in the butt and Derick and Jill were just in D.C. recently with their church group. Every move they make or don’t make gets so much criticism.

2 hours ago, Carm_88 said:

The only thing I think of when I look at the pictures of Derick is that you can put lipstick on a pig, but it still won't be pretty. That's exactly what Derick is. 

i don't usually follow KKW - but when Jennifer Lawrence interviewed her on the Kimmel show I loved her lip gloss or whatever it was.  I want that shade or gloss - what is it called? 

1 hour ago, onekidanddone said:

How many professional photo shoots do most couples sit for in a year? 

the last one my parents and I did was 1985 - I had red hair from sun in that didn't work. 

My mom still has it hanging up......

4 hours ago, singsingsing said:

Okay! You guys are totally right. No other portrait session ever involves a photo of a husband and wife kissing. This is a disgusting pose unique to the Dillards, and they obviously forced their reluctant photographer into it.

Look, I get it, Derick and Jill have a history of silliness involving showing off the fact that they are now 'allowed' to engage in physical affection with each other. But come on, it's a basic photo of them kissing during what was obviously a professional family photo session. I get it, 'we snark on them for everything, hahahaha!' But I guess this one is just too stupid for me. 

Meh, I think it's just juvenile and tacky.  I personally have never seen professionally shot photos where adults posed this way, but maybe it's common in America?  Either way, to me it just looks like Derick and Jill again trying so hard to market themselves as Super Christians with Awesome Lives (won't you donate?) but getting it not quite right.  

21 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

My very young birth mother cared enough to give me a name (one that was promptly changed by my adoptive parents).  Whatever happened to her - I was not Baby Girl X.  She cared enough to gave me a name.   That is meaningful, I think. :)

You don't need to tell me - but do you know your original name?

I ask because we have an open adoption with our son's birth mom and she named him. We kept his original name as his middle name as an honor to her and I think she's always really liked that. And I am glad that we have SUCH a great relationship with her so that we can provide that to him when he's old enough. (he's 4.5 and so far - hasn't asked anything about it)

I'm a fan of adoption myself! :)

1 hour ago, acheronbeach said:

I personally have never seen professionally shot photos where adults posed this way, but maybe it's common in America? 

Yeah, it's VERY common in America, and will likely have THIS sort of tryndi font (their names, or "The Dillard Family" possibly) superimposed over the image... lol

Alejandra.jpeg

1 hour ago, Meggo said:

You don't need to tell me - but do you know your original name?

I think it is wonderful that you are honoring your child's birth mother by using her name for him as his middle name. 

Oh, yes.  It was on my original birth certificate.  Christine.  I'm surprised my adoptive parents changed it, TBH.  A perfectly good name for a missionary kid. :)

I was in my 50s when I was finally able to access my original birth certificate.  Long story.   Those of us adopted when all records were sealed have a really hard time finding out anything about our heritage and family medical history.  

There is absolutely nothing wrong with adoption and a huge amount of good - if done right and with the right motives.  It is a great way to build a family for everyone concerned.  However, the grief and loss that adoption represents should always be acknowledged.

This conversation about adoption started when I brought up Selina Bergey (see the thread on her on QoS).  She expects her adopted children to be grateful to her for adopting them.  She seems to need to be thanked by them regularly for "saving them" and raising them in her "Christian home."  

She really makes me see red.  Adoptive parents should be grateful for the child - not use the child to bolster their own egos and boast about what good Christians they are.

Thanks everyone for the input on whether it was a normal amount of kissing photos! Seems to be, I guess it's just not a popular pose with the people I know, perhaps it's substituted with the fake laughing ones. I find those hilarious, because if you know the person you've probably seen them laugh and the pose is just.....so bad it's cute in a tv commercial way.  One of you look up and have a belly laugh, the other half bend like you can't get a breath from laughing so hard, make hyena noises, it helps. *Said at the last bridal party shoot I was in.

Let's talk about the really bad think in that photo - look at the terrible angle!   If you straighten it, so the streetlamp and the building are at the proper right angle to the ground, the photo would look a bit different!  If that's a professional photo, the photographer needs a slap.  She's rotated it so it looks like Derick is leaning in for the kiss, when really it's Jill.

Here, look:

Spoiler

Original angle:

tumblr_oyv037BiVz1r9t2zdo8_400.jpg.be0f35b639805b3fc5b29fb6fd477b1c.jpg

"Pro photographer's angle":

tumblr_oyv037BiVz1r9t2zdo8_400.jpg.f813368297450d4f52fd61f1884adc35.jpg

The second one is a closer crop to deal with the rotation, of course.

If you're thinking "wow, BEC, can't see the difference", then I'm totally down with that - but in that case, use the second one, because the angle of the streetlamp is just crazy-distracting.  Ugh, it's just so LAZY, especially for someone who watermarks their photos.  (for those who don't get it, it's one of those things that once you start noticing, you can't NOT see it!)

On 06/11/2017 at 7:19 PM, HarryPotterFan said:

If Jenelle Evans of Teen Mom 2 fame can get her medical assistants degree, anyone can. That said, she's not using it and I don't know if she even tried. I can't imagine a doctor's office or hospital hiring someone with a long rap sheet and history of drug abuse...

Jenelle got a medical assistance certificate from a non accredited tech school but failed the state exam by a few points her mother said, her drug arrests and a Google search of her name would prevent anyone respectable hiring her. She tried to get into a surgical assistance course and got knocked back. So much for her saying to Babs 'I'might gonna be saving lives while you work at the deli counter at Walmart'. 

27 minutes ago, Glasgowghirl said:

Jenelle got a medical assistance certificate from a non accredited tech school but failed the state exam by a few points her mother said, her drug arrests and a Google search of her name would prevent anyone respectable hiring her. She tried to get into a surgical assistance course and got knocked back. So much for her saying to Babs 'I'might gonna be saving lives while you work at the deli counter at Walmart'. 

I didn't know it was an unaccredited school. Wow, even when she tries to fail she fails harder.

I work as a medical assistant when I'm not doing the SAHM thing. Meaningful use and updated tech make it hard for me to meet requirements and that qas with a 2 year accredited course. I just don't see Jill as being able to pull the academics or the ability to cope with the pace,  even to be an MA. My course had chemistry and advanced algebra, plus extensive training on all the anatomical and physiological systems, not just OB. There's also continuing education that's required in certain fields.  Possible? Yes. Probable? No.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived